gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:31:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TLOS bonus tracks  (Read 8784 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2008, 10:11:49 PM »

They deserve their own thread --

"Oh Mi Amor"

Chorus in Spanish. Credited to Brian alone. Features some Spanish guitar touches and strings.

I remember when I met you
In the summer of my life
Then I slowly got to know you
As the days and months went by

Oh mi amor
Huh
Oh mi amor
Huh
Oh mi amor
Huh
Yes and we'll be together
We'll be together
When you're near to me
I just gotta say

We went to places that I dreamed of
And my summer turned to fall
I can't imagine life without you
Life and love we have it all

(chorus)

You are my love
I love you forever
You are my love
I'll leave you never

Then one day my heart was broken
And my world just turned to stone
No more summer no more springtime
Now I'm left so all alone

(chorus)

-----

"Message Man"

Credited to Wilson/Bennett. Features Danny Hutton on backing vocals. A very, very Brian track (pounding, up tempo upfront piano). A real standout.

Message man message man
Thank you for your song
Moving us soothing us
Helping us along

Victory over hate
Love will never die
Love will never die
Love will never die

Message man message man
Made a summer of love
Perfect world perfect world
We've been dreaming of

A troubadour will always score
And bring the finest tune
To chase away your gloom
Dust off your dancing shoes

Think back, back to a time
When you were feeling fine
Till music took you beyond the above
Notes can make you remember
What it felt like to surrender to love
Surrender to love
Surrender to love

Message man message man
Pour a melody
Fill our cups tack em up
With endless harmony
Sound waves and ocean waves
Crashing against the door
You know you can't ignore
When something shakes your core

(chorus)

Rock and roll, rock and roll
It'll never die
It moved us like a hurricane
And really blew our minds
Beatles, Byrds and Rolling Stones
Their voice so strong
Helps us all along
It only takes a song to make it cool
To make it cool
Until it's cool
We'll make it cool
We'll overcome

I have to say -- I'm surprised these were used as bonus tracks. They're both definitely full album worthy.

Just listened to these the first time. Will post more when I've listened more. Tomorrow -- the Best Buys bonus tracks.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 10:53:20 PM by claymcc » Logged
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 02:04:49 AM »

I'll be intrigued to hear these, having listened to the clips I think i'll probably like them more than a couple of songs on the album.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 03:03:47 AM »

I have bought the CD+DVD version, and there are no bonus tracks. Can they be aquired separately? (I don't live in the US.)
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 03:29:40 AM »

I have bought the CD+DVD version, and there are no bonus tracks. Can they be aquired separately? (I don't live in the US.)

As far as I know Andreas, the Best Buy version is only available to order for US residents and the iTunes version you have to buy the whole album again just for the bonus tracks.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 06:05:26 AM »

I am going to go to Best Buy this afternoon to buy the CD/DVD, and the CD with the bonus tracks, and I still won't have the iTunes bonus tracks.  I refuse to buy the thing three times.  Is anyone here getting the iTunes version?  If someone would want to PM me to discuss and describe the iTunes bonus tracks, I would, in turn, discuss and describe the Best Buy bonus tracks. 
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 07:57:33 AM »

Just picked up the Best Buy version --

Good Kind of Love with Carole King is blah. It's just the album version with her vocals in place of Taylor's.

I'm Into Something Good sounds like a 15 Big Ones outtake, in the best way possible. A lurching, Spectorian cover.

Just Like Me and You is a fucking masterpiece. Some people will think it's a joke -- but it manages to reference a Day in the Life of a Tree! And it sounds like Today!

I honestly worry that the BW camp was too free with these bonus tracks -- Oh Mi Amor, Message Man and Just Like Me and You are all just as strong as TLOS album tracks -- and stronger than some. They could be the core of another album.
mtaber
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 11:32:45 AM »

Got the Best Buy and freakin' LOVE "I'm Into Something Good" and "Just Like Me and You"...

I always thought Brian should do an oldies album - 15 Big Ones notwithstanding - to include stuff that you don't ever hear anymore, such as "Saturday Night At the Movies" by the Drifters.  The production on "I'm Into Something Good" is perfect - somewhat demented, plus Brian's vocal is raw but wonderful, and ... well, DAMN, it's spectacular... "I'm - in, I'm into some-thin, I'm - in, I'm into some-thin, I'm - in, I'm into some-thin, whoa!!!"
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 12:47:36 PM »

I am going to go to Best Buy this afternoon to buy the CD/DVD, and the CD with the bonus tracks, and I still won't have the iTunes bonus tracks.  I refuse to buy the thing three times.  Is anyone here getting the iTunes version?  If someone would want to PM me to discuss and describe the iTunes bonus tracks, I would, in turn, discuss and describe the Best Buy bonus tracks. 

I would be quite interested in "discussing" the various bonus tracks.  I have the Best Buy CD myself but not the bonus tracks from iTunes.  Anyone want to "discuss" this with me??  :-)

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 02:02:11 PM »

I would be quite interested in "discussing" the various bonus tracks.  I have the Best Buy CD myself but not the bonus tracks from iTunes.  Anyone want to "discuss" this with me??  :-)

LOL!  Discussion is usually a good thing.  I would like to discuss those iTunes bonus tracks as well. angel

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 02:29:45 PM »

I don't care much for "Oh Mi Amor", but "Message Man" is a nice song (as claymcc pointed out, a "very, very Brian track" - that sums up the song pretty well). Still, I don't think they're as good as the TLOS songs. They deserve to be "bonus tracks" - now, if only they had been included on all the CDs... (or at least the CD/DVD version)

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 04:45:57 PM »

Read all the verses ...

Just Like Me and You
(Wilson - ?)

When a man loses his woman
His days are numbered, it's true
He must feel sad and he must feel blue
Now isn't that just like me and you?

When a girl loses her lover
Her world is broken in two
She'll just have to wait for somebody new

It's so sad (when she breaks up with you)
Makes me just want to cry (just want to cry)
She's waiting for
Her new love to come along
To come along
To come along

When a tree loses its branches
It's slowly dying, it's true
Once he was happy but now he feels blue

(chorus)

When Rover lies near his master
It's unconditional love
That's why they call him man's best friend

When a child reaches for mama
She's still a baby inside
Mothers all need to give their love

(chorus)
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 05:17:01 PM »

Love "Oh mi Amor", especially the "will be together, will be together. When you're near to me...I just gotta say" part.

Message Man? It's a bit meh to me. Don't really care for it.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 05:18:22 PM »

I'm really surprised "O Mi Amor" in particular didn't get slotted into TLOS -- it'd be a perfect followup to "Mexican Girl", and the huge more-Spector-than-Spector sound is so theatrical that it leads naturally into the movie theme of "California Role".  Plus, it's just a gem -- a classic Brian case of going right up to the edge of schmaltz but still making it feel real...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 06:50:27 AM »

All these bonus tracks/internet only tracks etc, etc...will make a nice addition to a Brian Wilson solo box set in 10-15 years!  Especially for folks like me who are too lazy and/or cheap to gather them up! Grin

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 03:45:39 PM »

Great. I'm still waiting for my stupid Amazon version (which I pre-ordered) with the lack of bonus tracks. Now I'm going to have to get the Best Buy version.    Angry
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 01:15:31 PM »

Just Like Me and You is a foda masterpiece. Some people will think it's a joke -- but it manages to reference a Day in the Life of a Tree! And it sounds like Today!

Yeah I love this song - it's a great new BW song. I love those weird synth breaks. I really wish this was on the album - I'd gladly swap this and Message Man for FYBMSG and Mexican Girl.

Presumably Message man was formerly Beatleman - one of the song titles that BW described in pre TLOS concert interviews?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 01:37:40 PM »

Yeah -- I think it was "Message Man" first, then Brian referred to it as "Beatleman" in a subsequent interview. So now it's back to the original title.
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 03:55:11 PM »

To me "Message Man" sounds like an 80s-style Brian tune circa Sweet Insanity, and "Oh Mi Amor" like 90s-style circa Imagination.  I dig 'em both.
gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 04:55:33 PM »

I'm in Brian-cheese heaven! 

Further proof that he's his own best lyric writer.  Message Man is bouncy and playful, sounding like a Love You outtake, with the "It only takes a song to make it cool" tag really choking me up for some reason!  Oh Mi Amor has a 15BOs vibe to it, with some great "downer" lyrics in the final verse.  When left to his own devices Brian never really opts for the Happy Ending does he?  Either way, great song and the lyrics gracefully skirt maudlin and honesty.  And call me crazy, but the vocal blend was so perfect and unobtrusive that I really felt like I was listening to a BB record.  Lovely.  The cover of "...Something Good" is fantastic!  So very Brian.  The backing vocals are very spirited and the therimin in the chorus sounds great!  Let's get real people, Brian needs to do a cover album!  Then his precious "Proud Mary" would finally be enjoyed by millions!   LOL (Ok more likely tens).  Just Like Me and You contains some of Brian's best "observational lyrics" since the Paley sessions.  Songs like this give me a strange glimpse of how Brian sees the world.  The verse about the dog lying next to master had me in stitches, but the second time around it sounded perfectly normal and somewhat touching!  Someone mentioned this one sounded like Today! and in parts I definitely hear that.  "It's so sad (When she breaks up with you) /  Makes me just wanna cry (Just wanna crryyyyyy!)"...that's crazy good and sounds more natural and Brian-esque than most of TLOS proper.  Don't get me wrong, I still love the new album but these bonus tracks feel like the real deal.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 05:00:21 PM by gsmile » Logged

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2008, 12:35:13 AM »

Yeah I love this song - it's a great new BW song. I love those weird synth breaks. I really wish this was on the album - I'd gladly swap this and Message Man for FYBMSG and Mexican Girl.

I agree though i'd keep those two and chop out some others. When gsmile says that these sound like the real deal I have to agree, all of the tracks are very 'Brian'.
To me, 'Message Man' sounds like something from the Paley sessions and Brian sounds very enthused, it sounds like the sort of thing he could toss out in five minutes in a good way, it sounds spontaneous and not laboured and there's so many cool melodic touches in it that make it a standout for me, love the outro too. Also the way he sings 'Message Man' is a bit like 'Market Place'.
'Just like me and you' is an odd one, the production is much more 'wall of sound' than anything else on the album and there is a quality to it which sounds like his writing from the late 80s, sort of reminds me of 'Being with the one you love or something', it has some odd chords, plus Brian does all the BVs too, I love the crazy keyboard solo!
'Oh Mi Amor' is less exciting but still good, melodically it reminds me a bit in the verses of 'Where has love been'.
These are the sort of tracks which make me know that Brian still has it, I could take an album of this sort of stuff any day, its quirky, its melodic, its fun.

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2008, 06:46:28 AM »

I listened to TLOS several times (on my Best Buy disc) before I got around to the bonus tracks.  Into Something Good just knocked me out!  Just a foda GREAT cover!  Brian and Carol hit an oldies home run with this one IMO.  Found myself thinking that this really ought to get some serious airplay somewhere.

And speaking of airplay, listening to Morning Beat as I drove to work this morning watching the sun come up, I thought this Just HAS to be playing on the LA morning drive shows.  Simply just has to be.   

You probably can't tell by this post that I'm thrilled with this album Wink
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2008, 07:49:22 AM »

It is a good cover.  Brian sounds like he's having a ball. Oh Mi Amor sounds like low grade Perry Como.  Really bad. Quite like Just Like Me And You, though I'd appreciate more variation in the melody.  Message Man sounds like he's messing around in search of something better - which didn't transpire...  I think I prefer the Good Kind Of Love outtake to the one on the album.  You know, I like the album on the whole and there are two or three great tracks on it, but - if you can overlook the actual sound - I think I still prefer BW88 - Rio Grande, Love and Mercy, Melt Away, There's So Many, Baby Let Your Hair Grow Long, etc
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2008, 08:08:40 AM »

Part of the appeal of TLOS is that it is essentially the first studio album of new material featuring the Brian Wilson Band.
I've been waiting for something like this for a long time.

Frankly, I would buy a compilation album of BB HITs recorded in the studio by this band and Brian.  No question.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2008, 02:27:02 PM »

I'm absolutely loving Message Man. The more I hear it the more I love it. It just works for me the way all the best solo BW tunes do. I agree with Clay MCC that BW may be wasting Message Man and the Just Like Me and You as  bonus tracks. These are exactly the type of upbeat, slightly humorous feeling BW tracks I'd love to hear in a new album. I suspect I'm in the minority but I feel these are better than half the cuts from TLOS.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2008, 02:17:47 AM »

I'm absolutely loving Message Man. The more I hear it the more I love it. It just works for me the way all the best solo BW tunes do. I agree with Clay MCC that BW may be wasting Message Man and the Just Like Me and You as  bonus tracks. These are exactly the type of upbeat, slightly humorous feeling BW tracks I'd love to hear in a new album. I suspect I'm in the minority but I feel these are better than half the cuts from TLOS.

I completely agree too, I love it!

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx