gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 05:46:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: To all the brains on this board, I need your help!  (Read 2793 times)
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2008, 12:12:32 PM »

I have been listening to Good Vibrations-30 Years..............  I need to know if there is some follow up set to this covering the years after that complete set. I don't think there was one, but I'd like to "make" one for myself. Since you guys all the "masters" of the BB works, can you help me put one together?Huh??

I've checked AGD's Bellagio site, but there's so many albums there after the release of GV30 that I don't know where to start. I've been painting in my house for the past 3 days, so if I don't make complete sense, blame it on the paint fumes.

Can you guys help me?Huh

Thanks,
Donna Roll Eyes
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 12:29:40 PM »

You mean including solo stuff? Otherwise there's really nothing to compile...
Brian65
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 12:37:22 PM »

Do you mean if there is another collection of beach boys tunes like that?
The only other boxsets I know of is The Pet Sound Sessions Boxset released in 1997
and the recent 2008 Singles Boxset, which has the singles from 1962-1965 in both Mono and Stereo were ever possible.

There were other collections released but, they were on one or two cds only.
1998 and 2002-Endless Harmony Soundtrack, which has rarities on it like  the 30 GV Discs.
1998 20 Good Vibrations Greatest Hits Vol. 1, which has their 1962-1965 greatest hits on it
1998 20 More Good Vibrations Greatest Hits Vol.2, which has more of their 1965 hits through their 1969 hits on it.
1998 Ultimate Christmas, which is the 1964 Christmas album in Stereo along with their lost 1970 Christmas Album!
2001 and 2006 Pet Sounds, which is The Pet Sounds album in both Mono and Stereo, with bonus tracks.
2001 Hawthorne CA Musical Birth Place Legacy, two CDS, which has rarities on it like the  30 GV Discs
2003 Sounds of The Summer, a better hits package containing new stereo mixes and hits from 1962-1980.
2007 The Warmth of The Sun, contains their overlooked songs, it features new stereo remixes
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 01:08:22 PM »

Brian65, I guess that's what I mean....to add on to the GV30years set.  I didn't think there was a box set released such as GV30years part 2 or something. I just wanted to come up with a set that continues where GV left off. Are you getting what I'm trying to say??? Paint fumes again!!

I guess I could just add those albums you mentioned and come up with something.

Thanks,
Donna
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 01:09:27 PM »

Plus GH 3 - Best Of The Brother Years 1970-86.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 01:28:49 PM »

There were boxes planned, as follow-ups to the Pet Sounds box really: one for Good Vibrations and one for SMiLE, but they were scuppered. But that's not what you want really is it.

Trouble. to my mind, is that there wasn't that much decent new studio material released after the period covered by the GV 30 years box. And I think that's what you're really looking for.  Four CDs would cover virtually their complete post-box set, non-compilation output, with lots of blank disc space (unless you count Brian's prolific solo output of recent years):

What we got?

Stars & Stripes
Summer in Paradise (actually pre-box set but ignored, for some reason  Roll Eyes)
Knebworth

Am I missing anything?

“We live in divisive times.”
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 01:59:31 PM »

Or are you looking for another boxset's worth of good stuff they omitted, like "Kiss Me Baby" and "Let him Run Wild" to compile yourself? Cos that'd be fun. As everyone's said, though, they've done little to nothing since that box was released. But I bet there's four discs worth of decent stff they didn't put on there.
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 03:53:35 PM »

John, that would be the ticket, but how to choose?Huh I have about 175 boots to make sessions of, but am rather looking for the "good stuff" they omitted as you said. Where oh where to start?

John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 04:56:11 PM »

I don't know. Smiley

I'd just hit up the regular albums for all the quality tracks they didn't have room for and take the "unreleased" stuff from what they've released since on Hawthorne CA and Endless Harmony...it'd be an interesting compilation. You could raid the boots for the counterpart to the Sessions disc.

There's plenty of well regarded tracks that never made the box, let's see: Lonely Sea, Your Summer Dream, Surfers Rule, Hawaii, Hushabye (regular mix), Kiss Me Baby, In The Back Of My Mind, The Girl From New York City, Salt Lake City, Let him Run Wild, Girl Don't Tell Me, You've Got To Hide Your Love Away, Devoted To You, That's Not Me, Don't Talk, I'm Waiting For The Day,  Let's Go Away For A While, Aren't You Glad, Here Comes The Night, Country Air, Wake The World, Be With Me, Slip On Through, All I Wanna Do, It's About Time, Tears In The Morning, Susie Cincinnatti, Feel Flows, Cuddle Up, Big Sur, Only With You, Roller Skatin' Child, My Diane, Lady Lynda, Angel Come Home, Santa Ana Winds, School Days, Where I Belong and Somewhere Near Japan, and that's just after a qick perusal.

Put in your favourite tracks not mentioned above and the live tracks ("Wonderbill", "The Surfin' Medley"), the actual songs not released til those comps ("A Time To Live In Dreams", "Soulful Old Man Sunshine"), some choice alternates ("Break Away" from Hawthorne, the vocals / instruments only stuff from the Pet Sounds session box) and some session excerpts and you're ready to go...
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 07:44:44 PM »

Jeez John, thank you so much for taking all that time to come up with that for me!!! You are the best!!! I've always said that the people on this board are so much more "in tune" and "musically educated" than any other BB/BW site on the internet. As soon as I get my house finished, as in when the snow flies, I will get this going! Can't tell you how much I appreciate all of your hard work!!! You're great!! Wink

Donna
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 07:47:20 PM »

P.S. to all who responded to my fume induced wish----Thanks and kudos! You are all the best!!! I knew I could count on you!!!

Donna
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 01:12:41 AM »

John, that would be the ticket, but how to choose?Huh I have about 175 boots to make sessions of, but am rather looking for the "good stuff" they omitted as you said. Where oh where to start?

Um... 175 boots? Are you a lottery winner by any chance? Or did your maths suffer from solvent inhaling?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 05:08:02 AM »

The internet is a wonderful source for free music, you just have to know where to go. No solvent, using latex!!!!!
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 06:07:53 AM »

No problem, Donna!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx