gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 04:54:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The TLOS variants  (Read 6209 times)
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2008, 08:07:38 AM »

I've lost track of just what one will have to buy to "have it all" for TLOS.

What beyond:
TLOS- standard CD release
TLOS-standard CD/DVD release
TLOS-US Best Buy CD/DVD with bonus material

Thanks
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 08:14:00 AM »

The only one you are missing is the iTunes release which includes 2 bonus tracks, a digital booklet and a bonus video. And if you are getting all of those versions I don't see why you need the standard CD release? It's just the same as the others except with no bonuses?
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 08:43:21 AM »

I don't know who to blame, but there is something wrong with all of these different variations being released. It's not fair to the fans who just want to listen to all of the music that's available.
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 10:01:16 AM »

The only one you are missing is the iTunes release which includes 2 bonus tracks, a digital booklet and a bonus video. And if you are getting all of those versions I don't see why you need the standard CD release? It's just the same as the others except with no bonuses?

Thanks.

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 01:14:37 PM »

I've lost track of just what one will have to buy to "have it all" for TLOS.

What beyond:
TLOS- standard CD release
TLOS-standard CD/DVD release
TLOS-US Best Buy CD/DVD with bonus material

Thanks

I already bought the vinyl version. There's Japanese vinyl as well. And of course the Japanese cardboard-version (ordered that one). No bonuscuts on those though.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 01:34:04 PM »

Will the US Best Buy CD/DVD version have the bonus tracks as well or will that only be on the standard CD without DVD version?

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 01:40:27 PM »

... and they wonder why there is a market available for enterprising bootleggers?
SG7
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 01:43:57 PM »

I'm waiting it out. Why buy the same thing a billion times over?  Roll Eyes
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 02:54:07 PM »

I don't know who to blame, but there is something wrong with all of these different variations being released. It's not fair to the fans who just want to listen to all of the music that's available.

Sheriff, I hope from one from BriMel reads your post. It hits the nail on the head way better than all the moaning I've been doing on various boards! Nicely put.

... and they wonder why there is a market available for enterprising bootleggers?

And that's the greatest pity of all, that they add fuel to the bootleggers' stoves by treating us like this*.

* With all due respect to those who post on the board and do try to get the decent stuff out to the fans in the most generous way possible!

“We live in divisive times.”
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 09:52:33 PM »

NO way am I buying more than one. Thats a rip-off.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 12:30:14 AM »

The whole issue with the various bonus tracks leaves me with a bitter taste from what should be a 100% joyous occasion.

I bought the CD/DVD, but it's the only version i will pay money for. I don't mind eventually buying multiple versions of my favourite albums (LP, CD, remastered w/bonus tracks, etc...) but to HAVE to buy them is wrong.

Perhaps some kind souls on here could enable others to hear them?
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 05:06:32 AM »

Will the US Best Buy CD/DVD version have the bonus tracks as well or will that only be on the standard CD without DVD version?

I think that the bonus tracks are only on the CD and not the deluxe edition CD/DVD
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 05:20:18 AM »

I think that the bonus tracks are only on the CD and not the deluxe edition CD/DVD

Naturally! Angry

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 06:26:21 AM »

Naturally! Angry

I think that tonight what they are showing on VH1 Classic at 8 p.m EST is what is on that DVD.  So after work in about 5 hours I am going to Best Buy to buy the CD with bonus tracks and tonight will DV-R the VH1 showing.
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 09:45:20 AM »

I think that tonight what they are showing on VH1 Classic at 8 p.m EST is what is on that DVD.  So after work in about 5 hours I am going to Best Buy to buy the CD with bonus tracks and tonight will DV-R the VH1 showing.

Damn, I wish I had VH1 Classic so I could tune in.  I think I am just going to buy the regular cd.  I would rather have the bonus tracks than the dvd.

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 12:45:11 PM »

This really wouldn't be such a problem for me if iTunes had just allowed you to download their exclusive bonus tracks seperately regardless if you buy the whole album from them or not.  But since you have to buy the whole album to have them sucks. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 12:55:08 PM »

Among the non-track variations, I saw the TLOS CD at Borders Books and Music today packaged with Exclusive Limited Edition Stamps (presumably in the style of postage stamps).

Yet another way to gouge completists.
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 01:10:34 PM »

Question on the vinyl LP: is the version sold in the US made in the US or made elsewhere?

thanks
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 04:26:39 AM »

I didn't know where to post my opinion about TLOS as there are so many threads on it. I haven't had the time to read any comments, because I was away for almost three weeks.

I think TLOS is a very good album. I wouldn't say "great" but still very, very good. I think Brian's voice hasn't sound this "real" on any of his solo albums. There are some bad notes, but that just makes it more human I guess and they don't bother me that much. On the whole Brian sounds much more into it than even on Smile imho. He even play a little with the phrasing from time to time.
Love the hidden track btw which seems to be a Brian solo perfomrnace (vocal-wise at least).
I think the artwork is also the best from any BW-solo-output although teh '88 one is very cool too and of course Smile.

Oh, there's something I gotta say, I think Brian's bass singing is great and gives the blend of his band what it needs, because none of them seems to get those low notes that good.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2008, 02:09:21 AM »

Love the hidden track btw which seems to be a Brian solo perfomrnace (vocal-wise at least).
I've been very busy lately, so I haven't heard about the hidden track.  How can I find it?
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2008, 02:23:36 AM »

I think Rocker means the last track on the regular cd (track 18. Roll-Around Heaven [Reprise])

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2008, 02:50:07 AM »

Can someone summarize here, once and for all, the bonus tracks on the Best Buy version
vs. the ones on the itunes version? After hearing them described in depth and deciding which ones are the most intriguing, I'm having trouble remembering which ones are on which edition.

Thanks Cool Guy

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2008, 03:24:36 AM »

Good Kind Of Love, I'm into something good (Both featuring Carole King) and Just like Me and You are on Best Buy.

Watson, did you hear this?
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2008, 03:35:09 AM »

which leaves: Oh Mi Amor and Message Man as the bonus audiotracks + the Midnight's Another Day vid on I-Tunes.

Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2008, 07:51:27 AM »

Damn (I mean, darn!)

from the descriptions, I would mainly like to have Just Like Me and You, Message Man
and I'm Into Something Good. I just want to go down to my local Best Buy and physically purchase the CD only version (the DVD sounds disappointing) but won't get Message Man.

You have to buy everything online with a credit card, correct? Against my religion.

Thanks for clarifying   Undecided

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx