gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 10:52:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reaction to the loss of Brians voice  (Read 4555 times)
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: September 01, 2008, 06:24:52 AM »

This may have been covered before but anyway...
This is aimed at those who were BB fans back in the 60s and 70s and grew up with them; I was wondering what your reactions were to the Brians back campaign - I assume there was excitement at first but then what happened when you heard Brians voice? If his voice had been a factor in the enjoyment of the classic BB sound, how did it make you feel that essentially that wasn't going to return?

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 06:45:45 AM »

At the time it made me think, "hey, I just got born! Hello, world."   Grin

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 08:31:59 AM »

I first got hooked on The Beach Boys with the release of Endless Summer and Spirit Of America in 1974-75. I immediately started researching the group, but, at that time, there were few books, few TV appearances, and no internet. So it was quite a shock when the next album I bought, 15 Big Ones, featured Brian (and Dennis's) rough vocals.

The one phrase I kept repeating to myself, and still do, was "I can't believe this is the same guy who wrote and sang those Beach Boys' songs". And, obviously, he wasn't the same guy. It wasn't just Brian's voice, but his appearance. That was just as fascinating. There weren't many people like Brian (with his drug addiction, mental illness, obesity, etc.) in the public spotlight like that. It hooked me big time. I wanted to know what happened to this guy, and wanted to know what he was still capable of doing. So I proceeded to read as much as possible, scour the TV Guide for TV appearances, and, one by one, buy the albums - if I could find them.

Back then I was optimistic. I guess I knew that the old Brian voice was history, but I also held out hope for improvement. As a BB/BW nut in 1976, you looked for anything - ANYTHING - that might show progress. He was articulate on the Mike Douglas show. On Saturday Night Live, he got into "Love Is A Woman" at the end, and, did I hear a clear high note on "Good Vibrations" in the sandbox? On Love You, it was two steps forward and one step backward. You loved the falsetto on "The Night Was So Young", but then he almost ruined "Roller Skating Child" with the tag. He sounded emotional on "Airplane", but then killed "Love Is A Woman". I was doing cartwheels when I dropped the needle on MIU. You know, I would've been completely satisfied for the rest of Brian's career with vocals like "Matchpoint", She's Got Rhythm", "Wontcha Come Out Tonight", and the falsetto at the end of "Winds Of Change". Regardless of the depth (or lack of) of MIU, listening to Brian's vocals on that album for the first few times was a very emotional and positive experience. I was holding out high hopes, but those hopes were dashed when Brian was absent from L.A. Light Album. I had no idea what was going on, but I just had the feeling that something was wrong.

Sorry for rambling, but one last thing...If you eliminated one year - 1976 - you would not have any of those raspy Brian vocals on record. They were all recorded in a twelve month span. By 1977, Brian was nowhere "healed", but his voice was improved. And the funny thing is, for me, those vocals were oddly appealing. Yeah, some are unlistenable , like "Had To Phone Ya", but some showed some real emotion. Ultimately, Brian's diminished voice is a major reason for his lack of critical and commercial success - from the mid-70's and continuing today. For me personally, it is the single most important reason I find his solo work unsatisfying.
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 10:34:33 AM »

Yeah, Matchpoint is a great vocal! I love BW on that one. And Mike Love hit a new low in cheese with that lyric...

However, I also like Brian's vox on Had to Phone Ya, and on Just Once in My Life, which is one of my favourite BB recordings, though I seem to be in a minority here...  Smiley

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 05:40:47 PM »

When I listen to "15 Big Ones," I wonder if Brian sang that way on purpose.  I'm thinking of the way he sings "Ohio" on "Back Home."  I didn't buy that record back then, though, only buying it years later on the two-fer CD with "Love You."  I was a kid during the "Brian Is Back" era and saw the TV appearances on "It's OK" special and Brian on SNL.  I had only known the Beach Boys just from hearing their songs on radio, which were getting a lot of airplay after the "Endless Summer" reissue.  I was totally puzzled as to why someone would appear in public looking and sounding like Brian Wilson did.  I learned a lot about Brian's role in the Beach Boys a few months later when I read their entry  in the "Rolling Stone Illustrated History of Rock."  I started to get mildly interested in Brian and the Beach Boys then (but didn't start buying much until the '80s), but those TV appearances in '76 were very off-putting (yet fascinating at the same time).
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 05:42:51 PM »

When I listen to "15 Big Ones," I wonder if Brian sang that way on purpose.  I'm thinking of the way he sings "Ohio" on "Back Home." 
My guess on that particular note is that no, it wasn't on purpose. I'd bet that his voice simply cracked, and rather than do another take, he left it there.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 07:52:54 PM »

However, I also like Brian's vox on Had to Phone Ya, and on Just Once in My Life, which is one of my favourite BB recordings, though I seem to be in a minority here...  Smiley

Well I agree with you Brother John, for some reason I love Just Once In My Life. I don't know if it's one of my favourites but I love it!!
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 12:30:52 AM »

At last! I have an ally!! Good to hear it!  Smiley Cool

I just love the tack piano and the big synth bass, and there are lots of quirky little details scattered around it too.

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 01:02:48 AM »

I just love the tack piano and the big synth bass, and there are lots of quirky little details scattered around it too.

Let's party between the three of us then. JOIML is a true highlight for me. It has an emotional depth that the Righteous Brothers don't reach, probably because Bri and Carl are real brothers. The line 'Though I Can't Give You The World'... it doesn't get much more soulful than that.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 03:10:14 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 02:02:41 AM »

Let's party between the three of us then. JOIMF is a true highlight for me. It has an emotional depth that the Righteous Brothers don't reach, probably because Bri and Carl are real brothers. The line 'Though I Can't Give You The World'... it doesn't get much more soulful than that.

Thanks for all the comments, all very interesting, incidentally 'Just once in my life' is my favourite track off 15 Big Ones, its so ominous sounding, its brilliant and towers over the Righteous brothers version. Production wise its similar to Brians take on 'You've lost that lovin feelin'.
I like the backing track of Had To Phone Ya better than the vocal version for some reason though.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 03:14:08 AM »

Let's party between the three of us then. JOIMF is a true highlight for me. It has an emotional depth that the Righteous Brothers don't reach, probably because Bri and Carl are real brothers. The line 'Though I Can't Give You The World'... it doesn't get much more soulful than that.

Thanks for all the comments, all very interesting, incidentally 'Just once in my life' is my favourite track off 15 Big Ones, its so ominous sounding, its brilliant and towers over the Righteous brothers version. Production wise its similar to Brians take on 'You've lost that lovin feelin'.
I like the backing track of Had To Phone Ya better than the vocal version for some reason though.

I recall, from a long time ago, that a certain Peter C. had had access to a sitting with Alan Boyd (?) where he heard exactly that: the backing track of HTPY in demonstration sound quality. He was raving. Do you know anything about that?

I just had another thought: Brian has said several times that he wasn't always that enthusiastic about his falsetto (that's the reason he didn't want 'Let Him Run Wild' on the GV 30 Years box - he found his voice too girlish, too 'wimpy'. Could it be that for that reason he refused to 'gloss over' his rougher, more 'male' voice in later years?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 03:20:02 PM »

I know there are some comments out there from Brian that he was self-conscious about his "feminine sounding" vocals. I'm sure a few vocals bother him; others he has to be proud of - they are incomparable. That being said, I am not a supporter of the theory that Brian intentionally tried to sound more "manly", or purposely ruined his voice. I just don't believe he would do that, regardless of his mental state. He was a lot things; I don't think masochism was one of them. I tend to blame it on the effects of snorting hugh quantities of cocaine on his vocal chords.

I love the backing tracks on 15 Big Ones. It would make a great Stack-O-Tracks album. In some ways, 15 Big Ones was Brian's rock & roll/Phil Spector album.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 03:46:52 PM »

Anyone who has seen any TV appearance from around 15 Big Ones and Love You can attest that he was definitely a sloppy performer and I don't believe it was "intentional" at all.  LOL
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 05:45:02 PM »

Anyone who listens to him singing in his new "manly" voice can tell in short order that that Brian Wilson had no choice whatsoever in abandoning his "girly" voice. It was pretty badly damaged. Every high note was trash. I'd be curious to hear someone who can sing beautifully in a high register prove to me how he can sing that badly on purpose, while retaining the ability to sing well. It's an entirely different sound, not just missing a pitch (which you can do on purpose). I don't buy it for half a second. Brian f***ed up his voice. The girly/manly thing was a lame excuse. Dont get me wrong, he's still Superman or whatever, but...

MBE
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 05:23:38 AM »

I don't think he was pretending to sing bad when he could sing good, but I still think it happened fast enough to be Brian hurting his voice on purpose by non stop smoking. Debbie Keil beileves so as do several others,
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2008, 08:27:42 AM »

I know Brian has had vocal coaching in recent years and it shows.  I wonder if he had any help at all back in the mid 70's.  So many rockers have strained or destroyed their voices over the years.  It is usually due to over use,  poor technique, poor training,  and self-abuse.

I heard an interesting interview with a vocal coach for death metal singers. Seriously.  He taught them to scream using a different part of the throat.

Has anyone ever noticed that Brian's falsettos were becoming strained as early as California Girls?  And listen to him off key on the Bob Hope/Jack Benny performance.

Mickey Mouse with a sore throat. Wink Wink
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2008, 10:23:25 AM »

There are some things which say that Brian did sabotage his own voice on purpose to become more manly, this may have been something to do with Murrys death (maybe?) and his own feelings of inadequacy. He chain-smoked and snorted to get his voice deeper and he also developed a minor obsession with Frank Sinatra and his voice hence the Adult Child Big band songs which he was going to pitch to Sinatra, listen to something like It's over now and Still I dream of it and you can hear Sinatra style singing over it.

Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2008, 11:59:51 AM »

I first got hooked on The Beach Boys with the release of Endless Summer and Spirit Of America in 1974-75. I immediately started researching the group, but, at that time, there were few books, few TV appearances, and no internet. So it was quite a shock when the next album I bought, 15 Big Ones, featured Brian (and Dennis's) rough vocals.

The one phrase I kept repeating to myself, and still do, was "I can't believe this is the same guy who wrote and sang those Beach Boys' songs". And, obviously, he wasn't the same guy. It wasn't just Brian's voice, but his appearance. That was just as fascinating. There weren't many people like Brian (with his drug addiction, mental illness, obesity, etc.) in the public spotlight like that. It hooked me big time. I wanted to know what happened to this guy, and wanted to know what he was still capable of doing. So I proceeded to read as much as possible, scour the TV Guide for TV appearances, and, one by one, buy the albums - if I could find them.

Back then I was optimistic. I guess I knew that the old Brian voice was history, but I also held out hope for improvement. As a BB/BW nut in 1976, you looked for anything - ANYTHING - that might show progress. He was articulate on the Mike Douglas show. On Saturday Night Live, he got into "Love Is A Woman" at the end, and, did I hear a clear high note on "Good Vibrations" in the sandbox? On Love You, it was two steps forward and one step backward. You loved the falsetto on "The Night Was So Young", but then he almost ruined "Roller Skating Child" with the tag. He sounded emotional on "Airplane", but then killed "Love Is A Woman". I was doing cartwheels when I dropped the needle on MIU. You know, I would've been completely satisfied for the rest of Brian's career with vocals like "Matchpoint", She's Got Rhythm", "Wontcha Come Out Tonight", and the falsetto at the end of "Winds Of Change". Regardless of the depth (or lack of) of MIU, listening to Brian's vocals on that album for the first few times was a very emotional and positive experience. I was holding out high hopes, but those hopes were dashed when Brian was absent from L.A. Light Album. I had no idea what was going on, but I just had the feeling that something was wrong.

Sorry for rambling, but one last thing...If you eliminated one year - 1976 - you would not have any of those raspy Brian vocals on record. They were all recorded in a twelve month span. By 1977, Brian was nowhere "healed", but his voice was improved. And the funny thing is, for me, those vocals were oddly appealing. Yeah, some are unlistenable , like "Had To Phone Ya", but some showed some real emotion. Ultimately, Brian's diminished voice is a major reason for his lack of critical and commercial success - from the mid-70's and continuing today. For me personally, it is the single most important reason I find his solo work unsatisfying.

You just wrote the story of my teenage years.  I did start with Holland....but otherwise I could have written that.

BTW Brian's voice still sounded clear but weird on Child of Winter.  He wrecked it really fast.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2008, 02:05:14 PM »

That being said, I am not a supporter of the theory that Brian intentionally tried to sound more "manly", or purposely ruined his voice. I just don't believe he would do that, regardless of his mental state. He was a lot things; I don't think masochism was one of them. I tend to blame it on the effects of snorting hugh quantities of cocaine on his vocal chords.
  Wasn't just a theory, as Brian has admitted to intentionally trying to sabotage his voice. Tom Waits did the same thing. Then again, that's not much of a stretch, as Wait's voice has always been garbage.

What I've always wondered is what was the band's reaction to Brian's vocal decline.  I mean, they had to have seen the signs before anyone else would've.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx