gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 07:02:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Great Voices in Music  (Read 38636 times)
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 04, 2016, 08:04:58 AM »

I think Al has a great voice. 
Yes, everybody says it except NOLA BB fan. Even his fellow BBs members think so.

Please see my edit of the original post. Oh my I feel awful at the implication that Al doesn't have a great voice when I think he does. He did a great job at the concert I saw last month.
I'm in tears now. Will stop posting until I can think and write more coherently
Nola, please don't worry. No one has listed everyone they think is a great singer. Not mentioning someone can not be considered an insult! I didn't mention Al either. Doesn't mean I don't like his voice.
It's totally cool.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 27, 2016, 08:47:10 AM »

When it comes to the Beach Boys, all of them were great singers but when it comes to voices I'd say Brian Wilson (until the mid 70s) and of course Carl Wilson.
Could you say the difference between "great voice" & great singer"? Tried to think like you, re-read this post many times - still don't get it. Explain.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: October 27, 2016, 11:14:20 AM »

When it comes to the Beach Boys, all of them were great singers but when it comes to voices I'd say Brian Wilson (until the mid 70s) and of course Carl Wilson.
Could you say the difference between "great voice" & great singer"? Tried to think like you, re-read this post many times - still don't get it. Explain.

Well, you can have a great voice but not a good technique. Or you can have a very good technique but just don't have the voice.
In the '64/5-'70 periode it seemed that Brian had almost everything. Off the top of my head I don't remember a bad or weak performance by him during those years. Carl really cought up the more he had to overtake Brian's role. But all in all, I wished that Carl had taken just a couple of professional singing lessons because sometimes on stage his voice got kinda "thin" at moments imo. Some breath control techniques could have solved that I guess.
But as I said, I think all of the guys were great, so that comes on a high standard for not trained musicians. The guys all could take a lead, sang very much on key, bring a natural individuality to their singing and I guess I don't have to mention what incredible things they were capable of in harmony singing.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 27, 2016, 08:49:50 PM »

Thank you. Actually, BBs weren't the target, the bit in your post that made me ask you question was: "...were great singers but when it comes to voices". I didn't think till now there's any difference between saying "... is great singer" & "... is great voice". OK, what is bottom line if we speak generally - great voice is better than great singer? Singer is about technique but their voice is nothing special & voice is about being gifted with unique voice? What will you say?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 10:10:02 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: October 29, 2016, 06:37:02 AM »

OK, what is bottom line if we speak generally - great voice is better than great singer?

I don't think you can give a general statement. Each person has his/her individual strengths and it's different from case to case

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 29, 2016, 06:56:13 AM »

I don't think you can give a general statement. Each person has his/her individual strengths and it's different from case to case
Individual strengths you mean everybody has chance to be great voice? Can develop it with training etc.? Or is it singer? Tough topic. It's still puzzling in regards the differences, it's appearing there isn't any.

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 29, 2016, 08:34:28 AM »

Liam Gallagher
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 29, 2016, 10:39:12 AM »

But all in all, I wished that Carl had taken just a couple of professional singing lessons because sometimes on stage his voice got kinda "thin" at moments imo. Some breath control techniques could have solved that I guess.
But as I said, I think all of the guys were great, so that comes on a high standard for not trained musicians. The guys all could take a lead, sang very much on key, bring a natural individuality to their singing and I guess I don't have to mention what incredible things they were capable of in harmony singing.

Could Carl's issues have been somewhat resolved if he hadn't smoked so much? I think he was a much heavier smoker than Brian, for example, wasn't he? I'm always fascinated at how many of the great pop singers smoke/d.
Well, to the list of great voices, I have to add the man whom I've brought up on this board a couple of times and who doesn't seem to get much love: Rufus Wainwright. Some pop singers start out great and then their voices begin to give out. Rufus started out sounding irritating and nasal on his first album but developed a really fine voice that seems to be stronger than ever in his 40s.
Freddie Mercury was pretty fantastic. I take it his technique wasn't good, or he wouldn't have had the issues he sometimes had live. But maybe you have to have a "poor" technique to carry your voice across an arena like he did.
jackthomaser
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: November 01, 2016, 10:07:01 PM »

One and only Frank
I am also a big fan of frank

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 02, 2016, 09:10:42 AM »

Sinatra is good but when I discovered Perry Como, he seemed better than any of the singers in "easy listening" category. I like that his voice sounds old-fashioned, "retro". Frank's sounds "up-to-date" despite the songs being obv. dated.

SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 03, 2016, 11:32:23 AM »

Rosie hamlin
Michel'le(when she talks shes gotta high pitched voice but when she sings damn)

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 03, 2016, 07:44:05 PM »

Rosie hamlin
This is very familiar name. Was she in one of those ubiquitous 60s girl groups? I can't check youtube, it's again veeerry slow. Even results page.

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 03, 2016, 07:58:22 PM »

Send my love to Rosie...wherever she may be...

Rosie hamlin
This is very familiar name. Was she in one of those ubiquitous 60s girl groups? I can't check youtube, it's again veeerry slow. Even results page.

Yeah, famous for Angel Baby. As Rosie & the Originals.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 03, 2016, 07:58:38 PM »

Rosie hamlin

Rosie & the Originals, best known for "Angel Baby."
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 03, 2016, 08:13:26 PM »

She also sang I'm So Young, There's No Other (Like My Baby), and Just Because. The reason i mention Just Because is John Lennon was a big fan of hers and he covered Just Because in the 70s at Phil's request. I assume he never heard Rosie's version which is too bad (apparently he wasnt that familiar with Price's version either). Of course, John recorded Angel Baby as well and Rosie loved it.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 04, 2016, 03:34:47 AM »

She also sang I'm So Young, There's No Other (Like My Baby), and Just Because. The reason i mention Just Because is John Lennon was a big fan of hers and he covered Just Because in the 70s at Phil's request. I assume he never heard Rosie's version which is too bad (apparently he wasnt that familiar with Price's version either). Of course, John recorded Angel Baby as well and Rosie loved it.

Lennon also loved the bizarre B-side of "Angel Baby". He kept telling Yoko that this is what it was all about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEGLkMf75aY

See Jim Vincent's comment...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 07, 2016, 06:52:29 PM »

Thank you, people. Youtube works. Let's say I didn't like "Angel Baby", sounds veeery generic, there might be 124689 doo-wop/girl group songs with similar melody. She's certainly not pioneer. Funnily, she hasn't got the type of voice I usually like in girl singers but given her age - 15 - & the "mousy" voice seems to be only in the surface, there's sth. there that shows to me she's not bad. Some sheen to it. I liked that "Just Because" version, used to John's too & the song is nice but it quickly went from good to boring. "I'm so young" is namedropped, then it must be in john k's thread of links of that song to compare to BBs version.

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 08, 2016, 12:57:01 PM »

Lennon also loved the bizarre B-side of "Angel Baby". He kept telling Yoko that this is what it was all about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEGLkMf75aY

See Jim Vincent's comment...

One comment mentions he likes the finger pops.  I was thinkin', no, that's the shape the record is in... vinyl's poppin'.  Got some negative comments - I like it as much as the a-side.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx