gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:48:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Great Voices in Music  (Read 37679 times)
BrianAlDaveFan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 19, 2015, 11:18:03 PM »

Gerry Roslie - lead singer of the Sonics, who have a new album for 2015...in mono!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 20, 2015, 02:29:02 AM »

Gerry Roslie - lead singer of the Sonics, who have a new album for 2015...in mono!

Yes! Tacoma's wild boys. I have their first two albums on CD. Their stunning version of "Louie Louie" was described in a review as being so underdeveloped that it still has gills and fins. Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhM5k_EGzaQ

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
bluesno1fann
« Reply #102 on: May 20, 2015, 05:43:06 AM »

A bit eclectic, but there you go...

Dusty Springfield, Chris Farlowe, Mary Davis (S.O.S. Band), Kate Bush, Captain Beefheart, Howlin' Wolf, Kathleen Ferrier...

I think Howlin' Wolf and Captain Beefheart were both spiritual descendants of Charley Patton. Good call to include them together.

I know Howlin' Wolf was mentored by Charley Patton, so there's that
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 26, 2015, 04:26:41 AM »

Stevie Wright was a superb singer back in the day. Deserves a mention on this thread.
"Friday on My Mind" is pretty good. I think it was a hit. Do you know other songs worth checking?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #104 on: May 26, 2015, 06:49:48 AM »

Stevie Wright was a superb singer back in the day. Deserves a mention on this thread.
"Friday on My Mind" is pretty good. I think it was a hit. Do you know other songs worth checking?

Oh, so many. The Easybeats weren't just the best Australian band of the 60's, they were one of the best bands of their era, period. There's For My Woman, She's So Fine, Wedding Ring, Come And See Her, I'll Make You Happy, Sorry, Pretty Girl, Heaven And Hell, Good Times, Falling Off The Edge Of The World, Fancy Seeing You Here, I Love Marie and St. Louis. There's also Evie, which is from his first solo album, and is known as one of the only 11 minute songs to hit number one on any chart.

Album-wise, It's 2 Easy and Vigil are both worth checking out. Good Friday is an honourable mention too, major fan favourite.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 27, 2015, 07:47:47 AM »

Oh, so many. The Easybeats weren't just the best Australian band of the 60's, they were one of the best bands of their era, period. There's For My Woman, She's So Fine, Wedding Ring, Come And See Her, I'll Make You Happy, Sorry, Pretty Girl, Heaven And Hell, Good Times, Falling Off The Edge Of The World, Fancy Seeing You Here, I Love Marie and St. Louis. There's also Evie, which is from his first solo album, and is known as one of the only 11 minute songs to hit number one on any chart.

Album-wise, It's 2 Easy and Vigil are both worth checking out. Good Friday is an honourable mention too, major fan favourite.
Are the songs "I'll Make You Happy, Sorry" / "Pretty Girl" or "I'll Make You Happy" / "Sorry, Pretty Girl"? Tongue I jest. Thanks for the list. I'll see if I can find these on local site.
Did you make a TV tropes page on the Easybeats? I'd like to read it for reference.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 27, 2015, 05:07:08 PM »

Dusty Springfield, Chris Farlowe, Mary Davis (S.O.S. Band), Kate Bush, Captain Beefheart, Howlin' Wolf, Kathleen Ferrier...

I think Howlin' Wolf and Captain Beefheart were both spiritual descendants of Charley Patton. Good call to include them together.

Good call. Wolf was around for awhile before he started recording.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #107 on: May 27, 2015, 05:42:56 PM »

Are the songs "I'll Make You Happy, Sorry" / "Pretty Girl" or "I'll Make You Happy" / "Sorry, Pretty Girl"? Tongue I jest. Thanks for the list. I'll see if I can find these on local site.
Did you make a TV tropes page on the Easybeats? I'd like to read it for reference.

They're three different songs. I have actually been largely inactive from TV Tropes lately, due to studies. So I haven't made a page for them just yet
BrianAlDaveFan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 31, 2015, 03:14:47 PM »

I'm a big fan of Roger Water's vocals in the late 70s / early 80s.  Not sure what happened between The Pros & Cons of Hitch Hiking and Radio KAOS though.  His vocals on KAOS and Amused to Death are pretty rough.  Luckily, he sounded better once he starting touring again, but nothing like the Final Cut era (he had to lip synch to Fletcher Memorial Home when I saw him in 2006/2007). 

Though I still appreciate his vocals on KAOS and AtD a lot, (and I think he definitely still gets emotion across just as well in his words and singing style - which is most important to me) I certainly agree that something changed with his voice after Pros and Cons...and to me, his best vocals were on Pros and Cons and especially on The Final Cut (which has vocals that are more powerful and amazing by far than the record he did before The Final Cut...something about a wall...and all other prior to that, even).
KDS
« Reply #109 on: June 01, 2015, 06:48:57 AM »

I'm a big fan of Roger Water's vocals in the late 70s / early 80s.  Not sure what happened between The Pros & Cons of Hitch Hiking and Radio KAOS though.  His vocals on KAOS and Amused to Death are pretty rough.  Luckily, he sounded better once he starting touring again, but nothing like the Final Cut era (he had to lip synch to Fletcher Memorial Home when I saw him in 2006/2007). 

Though I still appreciate his vocals on KAOS and AtD a lot, (and I think he definitely still gets emotion across just as well in his words and singing style - which is most important to me) I certainly agree that something changed with his voice after Pros and Cons...and to me, his best vocals were on Pros and Cons and especially on The Final Cut (which has vocals that are more powerful and amazing by far than the record he did before The Final Cut...something about a wall...and all other prior to that, even).

It always sounded to me that Roger was gaining a lot of confidence in his vocals, starting with Animals.  They continued to improve and peaked with The Final Cut. 

Maybe taking more leads in concert, and the extensive touring for Animals, The Wall, and Pros and Cons coupled with a smoking habit (and possibly the vocal shredding screams of Careful With That Axe Eugene which was in just about every Floyd set from 1968-1972) led to Roger's gruff vocals in KAOS and ATD.  Prior to 1977, Roger didn't sing a lot of lead vocals live. 

I heard he had a vocal coach prior to The Wall tour in 2010.  I saw him on that tour, and he sounded great.  It was the fifth Roger Waters show I attended from 1999-2010, and that one was by far the best.  Unfortunately, I really doubt we'll ever hear Roger's vocals grace an album again since he seems to be in no hurry to get to that follow-up to Amused to Death. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 03, 2015, 12:52:03 AM »

Ok kiddies... I want  voices that resineate with you... No John Lennon or  Kurt Cobain because those go with out question....

Voices that resonate...  interesting choice of wording!  I'll name some that others may not agree with.  I've always appreciated singers who seem to have a 'gift' that wasn't necessarily developed, but just given to them.  Who sound great because they just have a one of a kind voice!  Lots of them worked their asses off to use that talent, but you can work as hard as you want and never sound as good as they do, because they just have a fantastic voice, naturally. 

So people like of course, Steve Perry.  The guy's voice is just phenomenal, it's a real gift.  I've heard him say that when he performed live, the crowd being into the music made him actually sing better than he thought he could, he'd just go for it and hit crazy notes and melodies because the crowd was so into it. 

I'm not saying he's the greatest voice ever, I'm just saying he's a fantastic voice. 

Frank Sinatra had a fabulous voice.  Yeah, a million people can sing his 'style', and it wasn't really even his style to begin with, but when he sings and he's on, you can really feel it.  It's a very imitable voice, it's something anybody can mimic but when Frank sings something like "The Summer Wind", holy sh*t that's just ground shakingly good.

George Michael.  This guy was so fucking talented, to be completely honest I'm not that into his music because I don't really relate to most of his stuff, but his voice was F.A.N.T.A.S.T.I.C.  He sang pretty.  No men want to sing pretty, but yet he did because he didn't give a sh*t.  Such a pure and sweet voice, but had lots of power as well, that went through his full range.  He wasn't afraid to sound effeminate and because of that was able to sing some really great stuff.  Even something like "Wake Me up Before you Go Go" has some really brilliant vocal stuff in it.

Elton John... of course did a famous duet with George Michael, Elton is a great singer.  Very powerful voice, something like "Tiny Dancer" kind of has it's own area where nothing sounds like that.  What I always liked about Elton's voice is that he does this thing where he runs the melody up, and then 'jumps' at a note, and goes sharp when he does it.  It gives his voice this kind of manic thing that's awesome.  So in Tiny Dancer it's the "Hold me CLOSA!" part, he goes slightly sharp everytime he does that on his stuff, and it gives it a unique sound that's great.  Even his stuff later in his career like "My Elusive Drug" shows his powerful, thundering voice (as it had became) still intact.  Not sure if he can still pull any of that off, sadly.

Michael Jackson.  Michael gets a lot of sh*t, much of it deserved, but he never really gets any credit for being one of the most creative, expansive singers ever in pop music.  He did everything from pop, to rock, to rap, to jazz, to blues, to even heavy metal.  He could cover "Come Together" as a hard rock song but also sing "she's out of my life" and cry halfway through it.  Just a really weird, strange, beautiful singer IMHO.

Mariah Carey.  Similarly gets very little respect by serious musicians due to the nature of her songwriting, but it doesn't take away from the fact that her voice is one of the most incredible voices we've ever heard in popular music.  She can sing lower than a lot of men can, and sing up into WHISTLE REGISTER.  Holy sh*t.  "Emotions" is a throw away pop song, but has what, probably 4 or 5 octave stretch in it?  In a pop song?  You'll find review after review of reporters way back into the early 90's basically saying yeah, her voice is great, but her music sucks.  I've had some of her music really move me, she did a live performance on the Live8 show that was really inspiring, I think people have really missed the boat with her. 

Tons more great voices in music...
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 25, 2015, 12:28:53 AM »

George Michael.  This guy was so fucking talented, to be completely honest I'm not that into his music because I don't really relate to most of his stuff, but his voice was F.A.N.T.A.S.T.I.C.  He sang pretty.  No men want to sing pretty, but yet he did because he didn't give a sh*t.  Such a pure and sweet voice, but had lots of power as well, that went through his full range.  He wasn't afraid to sound effeminate and because of that was able to sing some really great stuff.  Even something like "Wake Me up Before you Go Go" has some really brilliant vocal stuff in it.
That was great post as usual. I'm quoting this bit bcuz I agree that George had (has?) great voice. My introduction to him was via the  cassette of "Older". I thought half of it was really good (Move On, Star People, Fastlove, gorgeous title track, It Doesn't Really Matter etc.), didn't care for other half (Jesus to a Child, The Strangest Thing, Free). Too bad his other songs don't live up to this album. The best on that album beats the whole of Wham - throwaway muzak - & rest of the solo.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 27, 2015, 02:29:44 AM »

Good call. Wolf was around for awhile before he started recording.

This is a great story that connects Wolf and Beefheart, if indirectly (here):

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 27, 2015, 12:55:30 PM »

Paul Robeson, Maria Callas, Lowell George, Rosemary Clooney, Dinah Shore, Johnny Mathis, Placido Domingo,  James Taylor, Carole King, Darlene Love, Richard Manuel,James Brown, Linda Ronstadt, Don Henley, Timothy Schmidt, Merle Haggard, Patsy Cline,  Leadbelly, Tammy Wynette, George Jones, Anne Murray, Vince Gill, Patsy Cline,  everyone in Los Lobos,Dolly Parton, Grace Slick, Peter Cetera, Danny Hutton, Chuck Negron,Aretha Franklin, The Jordanaires, TheGolden Gate Quartet, Sam Cooke,Pete Seeger

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 27, 2015, 01:11:18 PM »

A lot here I would second.

I would add Linda Ronstadt, Adele, Stevie Nicks, Chrissy Hynde, Boy George.
The latter four for timbre and creativity rather than range or technical skill. Despite Rolling Stone critics' opinions, I think Ronstadt had significant technical skill.
And is Dennis Wilson on the list? His timbre was gorgeous.
Sandy Baby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 27, 2015, 02:26:02 PM »

Smokey Robinson
Greg Lake
Steve Goodman
Levi Stubbs
Jackson Browne
Ann Wilson
Billy Joel
Daryl Hall
Marshall Crenshaw
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 06:19:08 PM by Sandy Baby » Logged

Listen, listen, listen...
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 27, 2015, 06:01:42 PM »

Living in New Orleans, I'm partial to Aaron Neville, Irma Thomas and John Boutte (he sang the Treme TV show theme song; also check out his take on A Change is Gonna Come)

Aretha Franklin, Sarah Vaughn, Roy Orbison, Lou Rawls, Cisco Houston

Vocal groups such as the Boswell Sisters, Louvin Brothers, Everly Brothers

And those 3 brothers from Hawthorne CA
EDIT - should have listed the Wilsons with the other sibling pairings!
I never meant to imply that Al and Mike don't sing well.
The BBs blend gets more amazing every day. That's why I subscribed to this Board.
Apologies if I've given offense. Chronic sleep deprivation while being a 24/7 caregiver these past few days has made me loopy!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 10:21:20 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 29, 2015, 11:39:34 PM »

You don't find Al's or Mike's voices great? Huh

KDS
« Reply #118 on: December 30, 2015, 05:18:11 AM »

You don't find Al's or Mike's voices great? Huh

I think Al has a great voice. 

I don't think Mike's voice was great, but I think it really fit well with the early Beach Boys sound.  I also think Mike really found a good place as a singer in the late 60s / early 70s. 

Not sure if anybody has mentioned Glenn Hughes yet.  Often referred to as the "Voice of Rock."  He sang for Trapeze, Deep Purple, and Black Sabbath.  He was Ronnie James Dio's favorite singer.  That's some high praise. 
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 01, 2016, 05:30:15 PM »

Linda Ronstadt, Karen Carpenter, Glenn Yarbrough, Don Henley, Warren Zevon, Allan Clarke, Bobby Darin, Roger Daltrey, David Clayton Thomas...
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 03, 2016, 02:47:26 AM »

Here's a newish voice that sounds pretty great to me----that of Rhiannon Giddens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyWa6v-ifRY

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 03, 2016, 10:41:37 PM »

Yes, everybody says it except NOLA BB fan. Even his fellow BBs members think so. That's why I'm puzzled. Al certainly has better & stronger voice  than Dennis that's out of question. I thought it was established. His voice is the only that sounds closest to Brian! Top that.

Glenn is Ronnie's favorite singer? Hm. Never knew. In my opinion, Ronnie sings a little better.

KDS
« Reply #122 on: January 04, 2016, 05:17:12 AM »

Yes, everybody says it except NOLA BB fan. Even his fellow BBs members think so. That's why I'm puzzled. Al certainly has better & stronger voice  than Dennis that's out of question. I thought it was established. His voice is the only that sounds closest to Brian! Top that.

Glenn is Ronnie's favorite singer? Hm. Never knew. In my opinion, Ronnie sings a little better.

I'll agree that I prefer Ronnie James Dio to Glenn Hughes.

After Dio passed away in 2010, the surviving members of Heaven and Hell (Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler, and Vinny Appice) played a set at a UK Festival with Hughes on vocals, as well as two other singers. 

Ronnie was fronting Elf in 1974 when they were opening for the MK III version of Deep Purple which included Glenn Hughes.  That's how Ronnie met Ritchie Blackmore, and the two would soon form Rainbow.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 04, 2016, 05:53:06 AM »

Yes, everybody says it except NOLA BB fan. Even his fellow BBs members think so.

Please see my edit of the original post. Oh my I feel awful at the implication that Al doesn't have a great voice when I think he does. He did a great job at the concert I saw last month.
I'm in tears now. Will stop posting until I can think and write more coherently

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 04, 2016, 06:36:38 AM »

Please see my edit of the original post. Oh my I feel awful at the implication that Al doesn't have a great voice when I think he does. He did a great job at the concert I saw last month.
I'm in tears now. Will stop posting until I can think and write more coherently

There's no need for tears, Nola. And no need to suspend posting either. It's just a minor misunderstanding, so don't take it to heart. Your posts are valued around here. :=) 

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx