gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:07:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Great Voices in Music  (Read 37649 times)
Crow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2006, 03:59:56 PM »

Frank Sinatra
Crow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2006, 04:00:37 PM »

Frank Sinatra
Brian Wilson
George Michael
ella Fitzgerald
Chris Bell
Sting
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2006, 10:08:09 PM »

SONDRE LERCHE IS A PERSON?!? I always thought it was a band.. it just didn't seem like someone's name.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2006, 03:18:01 AM »

I will also second (or 37th) Brian Wilson after having heard "She Know´s Me Too Well" 15 times in a row. That falsetto during the chorus is MINDBLOWING!!!

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2006, 03:41:20 AM »

Would this be an acceptable place to say I really enjoyed that Aretha Franklin/George Michael duet "I Knew You Were Waiting"... Only heard it twice, but it's good.

I was really surprised at the surprisingly soulful vocals from George, he was sortof playing the sweet 'woman' to Arethas screaming 'man'... Worked really well.

Catchy chorus too.

I'll have to look into Mr. Michaels body of work...
Evenreven
« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2006, 04:40:44 AM »

SONDRE LERCHE IS A PERSON?!? I always thought it was a band.. it just didn't seem like someone's name.
Sondre is a quite common name in Norway, where he's from (the "ch" is pronounced like a "k", btw.) Plus the "all songs written by Sondre Lerche" could be regarded as a dead giveaway - that is unless they're Marilyn Manson fans. Smiley
Lester Zombie
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2006, 12:57:03 PM »

Jeff Buckley
Tim Buckley
Gene Clark
Bob Dylan
Janis Joplin
Richard Manuel
Roy Orbison
Otis Redding
Muddy Waters
Lucinda Williams
matt 1234
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2006, 03:28:23 PM »

GG Allin
Buddy Holly
donovan
britney spears anyone??
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2012, 07:34:43 PM »

Nico
Freddie Mercury Smiley
Jim Morrison
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2012, 08:12:28 PM »

Justin Hayward
Neil Young
Hope Sandoval
Jon Spencer
Bon Scott
Brian Johnson
Dio
Rob Halford
Robert Smith
Ian Curtis
David Gilmour
Richard Wright
The Beach Boys
Richard Manuel
Wanda Jackson
Roberta Flack
Freddy King
Doug Sahm
Eric Burdon
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2015, 07:04:14 AM »

Okay, my turn.

Manfred Mann
Ozzie Osborne
Louis Armstrong
Ronnie James Dio
Ernie Bringas  (The Rip Chords I)
Donald Fagen
Bert Sommer (best singer in the Left Banke)
Robin Gibb
Bjork
Diana Ross (other Supremes can't compete; she wasn't a leader just because)

I could name more (Tom Waits, Charles Manson, Iggy Pop, Lou Reed, Steve Martin,,,) , but that's more of favorite than actually great. Above, I tried to be objective.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2015, 08:23:47 AM »

Okay, my turn.

Manfred Mann
Ozzie Osborne
Louis Armstrong
Ronnie James Dio
Ernie Bringas  (The Rip Chords I)
Donald Fagen
Bert Sommer (best singer in the Left Banke)
Robin Gibb
Bjork
Diana Ross (other Supremes can't compete; she wasn't a leader just because)

I could name more (Tom Waits, Charles Manson, Iggy Pop, Lou Reed, Steve Martin,,,) , but that's more of favorite than actually great. Above, I tried to be objective.

Whoaaa....it's not very often you see Donald Fagen in a list of the best singers in rock.  Somebody had better cut-and-paste this and send it to him.  A lot of times during the years he's seems to have felt inadequate about his vocal abilities...like when he stopped recording or performing for a decade. (Then again, there were some other reasons behind his hiatus from music.)

In a head-to-head between Sommer and Steve Martin, I'd have to say that Martin was the ideal singer for nearly all of the late Michael Brown's songs in The Left Banke. But Ivy, Ivy is definitely an exception, because it's well above Martin's usual range.  It's a pretty underrated song, in part because the current incarnation of The Left Banke has more or less disowned it and won't perform it.

(Worthwhile to clear up an old rock'n'roll story here.  Michael McKean, future member of Spinal Tap, was indeed in the Left Banke lineup that Brown assembled after he and his father fired Tom Finn, Steve Martin and George Cameron.  But he is not on Ivy Ivy or its flipside And Suddenly - the 45 is Brown and Sommer backed by session musicians.  McKean, Brown, Sommer and Warren David did rehearse a few times with the intention of touring if Ivy Ivy was a hit, but it wasn't so the lineup split up and Brown rounded up his old band and did "Desiree."  McKean talked about this in an interview a couple years back.)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 18, 2015, 08:00:05 AM »

2rn57: On the money. half of 'em aren't *great* indeed. I would now eliminate Manfred Mann, Don Fagen, Sommer, Ozzie, Bjork.

Agree about Martin being better fit for The Left Banke. No doubt. I do like his vocals & wouldn't change for aforementioned Sommer. I just heard "Men Are Building Sand" & thought this guy has pleasant voice & it clicked with me. so he's favorite (so is song). He also shined on "Ivy, Ivy" (yes, it's very underrated).
 Thanks for the tidbit in brackets!

To add - tryna be objective :
George Jones
Townes van Zandt
Michael Jackson
Glen Campbell
Willie Nelson
Macca
Connie Smith
Freddy Mercury
Patsy Cline
Sharon Marie.
And ofc. The BBs (minus Dave, Bruce)

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: May 18, 2015, 10:48:26 AM »

Elvis Presley

Dean Martin

George Jones

Ray Price

Ben E. King

John Fogerty

Mahalia Jackson

Sammy Davis Jr.

Waylon Jennings

Don Everly

Tom Jones

Junior Parker

Willie Nelson

Johnny Cash

When it comes to the Beach Boys, all of them were great singers but when it comes to voices I'd say Brian Wilson (until the mid 70s) and of course Carl Wilson.

The list is just off the top of my head. There's tons of great voices. Some I just haven't thought of now and some I probably haven't heard yet.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 11:24:10 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: May 18, 2015, 12:13:47 PM »

The great, late Roy Hamilton. Elvis' favorite singer. I rest my case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI3gKJw7RbA

BrianAlDaveFan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 19, 2015, 01:07:53 AM »

Happy to see both Roky Erickson and Tom Waits listed on here as early as 2006! Smiley
YES!

For starters, I'd add Brook Benton and Roger Waters (especially on the album "The Final Cut" he did with Pink Floyd).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 01:11:33 AM by BrianAlDaveFan » Logged
KDS
« Reply #91 on: May 19, 2015, 06:10:26 AM »

Happy to see both Roky Erickson and Tom Waits listed on here as early as 2006! Smiley
YES!

For starters, I'd add Brook Benton and Roger Waters (especially on the album "The Final Cut" he did with Pink Floyd).

I'm a big fan of Roger Water's vocals in the late 70s / early 80s.  Not sure what happened between The Pros & Cons of Hitch Hiking and Radio KAOS though.  His vocals on KAOS and Amused to Death are pretty rough.  Luckily, he sounded better once he starting touring again, but nothing like the Final Cut era (he had to lip synch to Fletcher Memorial Home when I saw him in 2006/2007). 

However, if we're talking Floyd, David Gilmour's voice has aged really well.  He's about to turn 70, and his lone vocal on The Endless River (on the crap-tastic lyrics of Louder Than Words) is very good. 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 19, 2015, 11:07:01 AM »

A bit eclectic, but there you go...

Dusty Springfield, Chris Farlowe, Mary Davis (S.O.S. Band), Kate Bush, Captain Beefheart, Howlin' Wolf, Kathleen Ferrier...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 19, 2015, 11:44:58 AM »

Diana Ross, Little Richard, Bob Dylan, Kurt Cobain, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, James Brown, Little Richard, Richard Manuel, Rick Danko, Levon Helm, Aretha Franklin, Sam Cooke, Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young, Elton John, Axl Rose, Liam Gallagher, Art Garfunkel, Roger Daltrey.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 19, 2015, 11:52:33 AM »

Gee wee, I forgot Little Richard! And Elton! Now I didn't. police

KDS
« Reply #95 on: May 19, 2015, 12:10:39 PM »

Ian Gillan

Paul Rodgers

Bruce Dickinson

Rob Halford

Geoff Tate

Don "Buck Dharma" Roeser (Blue Oyster Cult)

Joe Lynn Turner

Sammy Hagar

Jack Bruce (RIP)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 19, 2015, 12:43:57 PM »

Gee wee, I forgot Little Richard! And Elton! Now I didn't. police

I forgot just about everyone! Some great names have been listed since then (and in earlier posts). There are/were just so many incredible singers out there...   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #97 on: May 19, 2015, 12:48:53 PM »

And I know he's been mentioned, but it's worth mentioning again just a few days after the fifth anniversary of his passing -

Ronnie James Dio

And on the opposite end of the spectrum

Jimmy Buffett and Billy Joel - two guys whose voices are still in great shape. 
bluesno1fann
« Reply #98 on: May 19, 2015, 01:51:28 PM »

Stevie Wright was a superb singer back in the day. Deserves a mention on this thread.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 19, 2015, 05:30:36 PM »

A bit eclectic, but there you go...

Dusty Springfield, Chris Farlowe, Mary Davis (S.O.S. Band), Kate Bush, Captain Beefheart, Howlin' Wolf, Kathleen Ferrier...

I think Howlin' Wolf and Captain Beefheart were both spiritual descendants of Charley Patton. Good call to include them together.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx