gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:56:29 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How Will TLOS Chart? - UK And US  (Read 23467 times)
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2008, 01:58:31 AM »

#21 is a better chart position than any Beach Boys album after Pet Sounds....apart from 15 Big Ones.

So it's a pretty decent position, when you consider that means it has charted higher than Smiley ever did...or Wild Honey...or Surf's Up...

I, like everyone else, just hope it holds on for a 2nd and 3rd week...at least inside the top 40.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2008, 02:33:52 AM »

Who, I'm a little confused. Can anybody tell me how high TLOS charted on the official Billboard album charts? I don't mena any internet-charts or whatsoever. Just the official charts....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2008, 03:14:42 AM »

Who, I'm a little confused. Can anybody tell me how high TLOS charted on the official Billboard album charts? I don't mena any internet-charts or whatsoever. Just the official charts....

It's #21 on the regular, official album chart...
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2008, 03:26:27 AM »

Lessee -

there are 1204 members in the Smileysmile.net community. Each of them must have bought at least one item pertaining to the TLOS bonanza. I used SPSS and a two-sided confidence interval of 0.05; --> 700 members have bought 2 items --> 400 members bought 3 things (this peaks enormously because it corresponds with the bonus tracks issue --> 250 members bought 4 items --> 100 members bought 5 --> (the curve becomes flat until:) --> Andrew G. Doe bought 8,312 items (and he still complains about the sound quality; even the CDs pressed in Bhutan and Ulan Bator don't satisfy his demands).

The upshot of my calculations is that 2 copies were bought in the general marketplace in the first week after release. Which is not bad at all for a Brian Wilson solo album.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2008, 03:30:36 AM »

I'm still enjoying the free stream!

Put me down for one when AGD gives me the ok on the sound. Wink
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2008, 03:33:29 AM »

Don... Billboard is US sales only... Not all Smiley Smile members are American...  Grin
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2008, 05:38:53 AM »

Andrew G. Doe bought 8,312 items (and he still complains about the sound quality; even the CDs pressed in Bhutan and Ulan Bator don't satisfy his demands).

8313 - just got the Timbuktu special edition: the packaging is camel skin.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2008, 06:11:55 AM »

I am waiting for the super 8 film....
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2008, 06:17:38 AM »

Andrew G. Doe bought 8,312 items (and he still complains about the sound quality; even the CDs pressed in Bhutan and Ulan Bator don't satisfy his demands).

8313 - just got the Timbuktu special edition: the packaging is camel skin.

LOL

It's enough for a #21 position, so apparantly that is quite a lot nowadays.

Apparently so..the New Kids on the Block's new album (wtf?!) is at #2 and it sold about 95,000. I guess I didn't realize just how bad CD sales are slipping.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2008, 06:42:50 AM »

Rumor has it that the Capitol A&R Dept. has committed a limited clay tablets edition.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2008, 01:26:20 PM »

Rumor has it that the Capitol A&R Dept. has committed a limited clay tablets edition.

How about a classical Latin translation.....or Sanskrit?

Actually there's a lot to commend super 8 film...commercial releases *are* still being made.
Bill Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2008, 03:56:26 PM »

TLOS is also at no. 2 on Billboard's Internet album chart.

Cool

I guess I've got a way with girls
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2008, 04:21:24 PM »

Really? Awesome! Esp. considering we are about at the point where more cds are sold online than in stores.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2008, 04:51:52 PM »

Just saw that, I read somewhere it was selling great online.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2008, 04:04:00 AM »

It's #21 on the regular, official album chart...

Thanks ! That's awesome !!
Should open the door for another album on Capitol.  Smiley

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 12, 2008, 05:06:40 AM »

entered the German charts after one week at 45 - remarkable!!

Watson, did you hear this?
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 12, 2008, 08:57:28 AM »

I believe it's 54 in Holland for the second week and a row, not bad at all.
Better than the new Motorhead anyway.
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 12, 2008, 09:24:22 AM »

I really hope this makes Brian realise that the effort is worthwhile. Whether we get another great album from him again is to some extent irrelevant...we've got this one. And the world in general seems to appreciate it....OK not on the scale of his 60's work, but it is selling well nonetheless...

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 12, 2008, 11:20:12 AM »

I believe it's 54 in Holland for the second week and a row

It was 55 last week.
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 14, 2008, 10:17:05 PM »

Maybe this should be its own thread, seeing as it's thoroughly cranky, but we're talking how TLOS is being received.  Here is uber-crank Jim DeRogatis from the Chicago Sun-Times (a guy I know and frequently disagree with; he uses his contrariness as a stylistic choice):

Brian Wilson, "That Lucky Old Sun" (Capitol) [1 STAR]
By Jim DeRogatis on September 4, 2008 9:28 AM | Permalink | Comments (37) | TrackBacks (0)
When it comes to the great Romantic narratives of rock history, few are more enduring--or consistently untrue--than "Brian is back." Every few years, ever since Beach Boys auteur Brian Wilson first fled the spotlight amid a haze of drug and mental problems after the undeniable peak of "Pet Sounds" (1966), one group of allegedly well-intentioned friends and musical collaborators after another has come forward to herald the return of the genius, from the vile Mike Love (who actually wrote a song called "Brian's Back" for a failed comeback in the late '70s) to the controversial psychologist Eugene Landy (who managed Wilson and co-wrote his songs during the failed comeback in the late '80s) to his current coattail rider, Hollywood hack Scott Bennett.

"At 25, I turned out the light/'Cause I couldn't handle the glare in my tired eyes/But now I'm back/Drawing shades of kind blue skies," the 66-year-old Wilson sings in "Goin' Home," but there's no more reason to believe him than anyone else. The retro-harmony-laden tune is one of the few actual songs amid the sappy, soggy and predominantly dreadful pastiche of unfinished snippets, recycled riffs and spoken-word Beat-poetic interludes on the new 38-minute, 17-track conceptual song cycle "That Lucky Old Sun," the singer and songwriter's first full album of new songs since 2004--that is, if you count that year's over-hyped and undercooked attempt to remake and complete the legendary aborted "Smile" album.

Vastly overrated orchestral arranger and wearyingly eccentric lyricist Van Dyke Parks came back for that project, and he makes an appearance here, too. Yet while he is certainly the culprit behind the awful poetry, Bennett is the man who should be derided for much of the rest of this mess: An adept student of the best of Wilson's catalog circa '61 to '67, he crams in countless musical references to and lifts from that era and the influences that led to it, coupled with clichéd lyrics paying homage to a Los Angeles that never really existed (one where every girl is "the next Marilyn, every guy, Errol Flynn") and maudlin, exploitative nods to a not entirely accurate version of Wilson's tragic lost years and mental meltdown ("I wasted a lot of years," the singer confesses in "Oxygen to the Brain," while in "Midnight's Another Day," he tells us, "All these voices, all these memories/Make me feel like stone/All these people, they make me feel so alone/Lost in the dark, no shades of grey/Until I found midnight's another day").

Of course, in blaming Bennett, I'm letting Wilson himself slide. As anyone who's interviewed him in the last decade can attest, while seemingly in better mental health than he was in the '80s, he's still not completely in touch with reality--still not really back from whatever awful trip derailed his career. Nor is his voice, when it can be heard amid the bloated production and army of shadowy backing vocalists, anything but a shadow of its former instrument. But if his degree of involvement in this catastrophe is really as full-fledged as his press materials would have us believe, the only conclusion left is that one of the greatest songwriters of his generation can no longer tell trash from triumph--either that, or he's every bit as willing as the parasites around him to milk the legacy of the past for every dollar it will yield while stumbling through a present consisting of unforgivable crap such as "Mexican Girl," "California Role" and "Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl."

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 14, 2008, 10:22:45 PM »

Maybe this should be its own thread, seeing as it's thoroughly cranky, but we're talking how TLOS is being received.  Here is uber-crank Jim DeRogatis from the Chicago Sun-Times (a guy I know and frequently disagree with; he uses his contrariness as a stylistic choice):

OUCH!

But then if he uses contrariness as his "stylistic choice" maybe he's one of those 'journalists' who knows people read his stuff in order to shout at it.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: September 15, 2008, 12:02:12 AM »

Just so you know, TLOS didn't even make the top 200 in France.  Undecided

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
HighOnLife
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 18, 2008, 07:51:39 AM »

TLOS dropped to #52 this week on Billboard.

"I don't do drugs. I am drugs."
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 18, 2008, 07:58:46 AM »

TLOS dropped to #52 this week on Billboard.

Oh well... It still will go down in the books as a #21 album...
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 18, 2008, 09:35:32 AM »

Quite good, I was expecting it to drop out after one week.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx