gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 11:19:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Timeline  (Read 3774 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 26, 2008, 04:20:14 PM »

Seems pretty good and I may do a print version. What do the experts out there think and any truth in this statement?

Al is briefly booted out of the band when Murry decides it should be a family-only affair before Brian changes his mind; Jardine doesn’t learn of his ejection until 2005.

http://www.exclaim.ca/articles/multiarticlesub.aspx?csid1=125&csid2=9&fid1=33233
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 06:28:35 PM »

Horrible. The early days are really wrong. The time line is wacky, and its filled with disproven myths and bad factoids. I couldn't even get past 1964 because it was so depressingly inaccurate. They obviously used some of the most shallow and outdated sources they could have.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 09:19:15 PM »

Thanks Jon. Any good timeline out there you can recommend with the sort of detail this link has? Vetted of course.

And what of the Al story? First time I have heard this one. Does not fit with Al going to Dental school at all.
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 09:21:52 PM »

I agree with Jon . . .

"Even though he is pumping out hit after hit for the Beach Boys, Brian finds the time and interest to write for and produce other artists, including California brethren Jan & Dean  . . . "

This is bullsh*t . . . Brian Wilson never produced anything for Jan & Dean . . . nor did he ever write anything for J&D. Brian's writing credits for J&D were collaborations with Jan Berry . . . except for the cover version of "Catch a Wave" (Sidewalk Surfin').

Someone put a halt to civilization and declare the Internet a huge f*king mistake . . . ha!

M.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 10:01:44 PM »

I'm having huge fun going through this and identifying sources, some of which are lifted almost word for word.  Grin

Seriously, the sad thing is that some new fans will read this and take it as accurate. Somehow the author managed to consult all the most inaccurate sources.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 10:09:20 PM »

The funniest part was the 1981 section. It talks about Carl leaving the group to kick his addictions with his wife, Myrna.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 11:03:16 PM »

Al is briefly booted out of the band when Murry decides it should be a family-only affair before Brian changes his mind; Jardine doesn’t learn of his ejection until 2005.

I thought that was true?!

Their immediate reaction is puzzled; Al, Dennis and Mike are overhead complaining “This isn't our kind of merda!” according to Carlin’s Catch A Wave.

Oh what the merda ever. I own the book & that's not in there.  I don't think Dennis ever criticized anything Brian did until 15 BO.

Though Carl was a fan and told the press, “Smile makes Pet Sounds stink,”

That was Dennis.

What really sizzles my balls is that the stuff that is true is jacked from Peter's book.  Also, I seriously doubt Pro Tools was used for Summer in Paradise, considering it was just  barely  released the previous year!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 11:23:29 PM by Billy C » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MBE
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 12:06:13 AM »

Seems like the guy indulged in the "wonder of marijuana" before he wrote this. Read 1964, Brian must have hated Houston to have a panic attack and then later a breakdown on the way there! The stuff about Brian's voice in 1971 was bull. I would kill to have the voice he had then. I laughed out loud when it said Friends was the first album Bruce was on. Also we now know Brian's involvement in Surf's Up was fairly high and to label him a cocaine addict in 1968  stretches things quite a bit. Smiley had Smile outtakes? Right......The Manson stuff is a theory passed off as fact, and the comment that the band were better off without Brian in 1968! I guess he never heard I Went To Sleep, Time To Get Alone,, We're Together Again, Old Man River, Walk On By, Do It Again etc.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 02:03:57 AM by MBE » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 07:19:54 PM »

Summer in Paradise was indeed recorded with Pro-Tools. I've spoken with Richard Titus, who played keyboards on the album, he he said they used the beta version.

He also said Mike's wife would sunbathe naked!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 07:50:17 PM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 09:55:26 PM »

Summer in Paradise was indeed recorded with Pro-Tools. I've spoken with Richard Titus, who played keyboards on the album, he he said they used the beta version.

He also said Mike's wife would sunbathe naked!

It's a lot easier to just look in the album credits:

"This album was recorded and mixed while beta testing Digidesign Pro Tools sixteen track on an Apple Macintosh Quadra 900, using Elkon hard drives"

Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 10:34:18 PM »

Holy f*** you're right.  I feel like a 'tard, although the fact that it was a beta version coincides with my reason in the first place.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx