gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:04:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: B-Dub Interview  (Read 2939 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 24, 2008, 10:02:56 AM »

I love this .....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2008/aug/24/popandrock

Brian Wilson, musician, 66, London
Interview John Hind
The Observer,
Sunday August 24 2008

The big disappointment I feel about my life is that I didn't have more wisdom when it came to taking drugs. Drugs laid me out for years.

Applause sounds good. You start to believe people really like your stuff when they give you a 10-minute standing ovation. I don't know when it would get boring - maybe after half an hour.

When I was eight I used to copy Rosemary Clooney singing, 'The evening breeze caressed the trees tenderly, the trembling trees embraced the breeze tenderly.'

A beautiful horn is my favourite sound in the world. If I could play a saxophone, that's what I'd be doing. But I can't play a saxophone.

When I was 16, I had a Woolensack tape recorder and I taped the wind. I lost it and those tapes. I don't know where the hell they are.

I sit down on stage because I feel more comfortable sitting. I move my hands around to try and look alive. I'm looking at the front row and I'm looking up in the air, but I can't see without my glasses and I don't remember any faces.

Big Brian isn't scared of anybody and Little Brian is scared of everybody.

Only my left ear works properly, the right is deaf. So I've never heard music in stereo, or both sides of the audience together. It's kind of depressing, but it's all right. One advantage is I can lie on my left side in bed and not be bothered. I like peace and quiet very much. I really do.

I sang 'Deck the Halls' for hundreds of children with Xeroderma pigmentosum [hypersensitivity to sunlight] at Disney one night. That was kinda scary.

Every night now I say this: 'The night was quiet and nature was resting and I was at peace.' And then I can sleep. I made it up myself. Isn't that great? Saying it now my eyes feel a little tired.

First thing in the morning, at seven, I wash my face. I have my breakfast - an egg and Kellogg's cornflakes with skimmed milk and Sweet'N'Low - and I try to get on with it. I work in my armchair with a leg rest and I have my synthesiser on my lap. I'm a morning person, creatively. I have auditory hallucinations, I hear voices saying derogatory things, like I'm terrible and I'm going to die, and they're usually worse in the afternoon.

Making music is like brain surgery - very sensitive, very delicate. Genius is the ability to make something very complex seem very simple.

First love is the moment you can't repeat, but you'll always own it.

If we'd been called the Peach Boys, I don't think it would have made much difference to our success. We were going to be the Pendletones, after a sweater everyone was wearing, or the Beach Bums. A group's name is not very important. For one year [1969] I owned a health food shop I called the Radiant Radish. I spent too much money on produce, there wasn't much money coming in and we went bankrupt. But that was a great name.

When I hear really fabulous music by somebody else, I can feel as small as the dot in the 'i' in nit.

The gentlest person I know is my friend Mark, who designs covers. I like hanging with him, he talks nice to me and sometimes I'll need him to rub my neck.

I used to run laps around the park, now I walk laps. Exercise is my hobby.

It will only take a slight little idea, a starting melody, to make my whole day.

· Brian Wilson's latest album, Lucky Old Sun, is released on 1 September
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 05:36:02 PM by claymcc » Logged
Bill Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 10:16:12 AM »

An interesting and at times very funny interview. Is that Mark London that Brian's referring to - 'I'll need him to rub my neck'?

For UK fans there's more. BBC Radio 2 is starting a new 1 hour series called 'The Record Producers' tomorrow (Monday) night at 9.00 pm BST. The subject of the first show is Brian Douglas Wilson of Hawthorne, California. Not sure if it will be streamed later but I assume so.

Cool
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 02:23:24 PM by Bill Barnyard » Logged

I guess I've got a way with girls
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 11:44:51 AM »

"Genius is the ability to make something very complex seem very simple."

That nailed it imo.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 12:28:15 PM »

Big Brian isn't scared of anybody and Little Brian is scared of everybody.

Uhh...i'm almost afraid to ask what he meant by "Little Brian"...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 01:30:07 PM »

The Peach Boys.

CLASSIC
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 02:10:20 PM »

Nice article, thanks a lot for sharing.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 02:14:17 PM »

Thanks for posting this.

Can you imagine functioning even the tiniest bit with this kind of auditory hallucinations on your mind?

Loved the bit about teenage Brian taping the wind.  Smiley
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 05:23:20 PM »

His answers reminded me a lot of that old Melody Maker interview from 1966 where he gives reponses to a variety of topics. 

The part about the Woolensack "wind" tapes made me laugh.  Really good interview, more original than the same ones we see over and over.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 06:45:56 PM »

Yeah, If I ever got to interview Brian, I'd ask him the strangest questions just for variety.  All the questions people ask him about music have been asked a million times and he gives a million different (conflicting sometimes) answers.  Much better would be things like

"What kinda car you drivin' these days, Brian?"

"Did you watch the olympics?"

"Have you ever thought about arranging music for pop acts like the Pussycat Dolls or something?"

etc because his best answers are always off the wall "I never thought of that" stuff... when you ask him the same old questions about the same old songs he always just gives a yes no or a canned answer. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 06:49:38 PM »

In my opinion, most interviewers are setting themselves up for and fully deserve the typical one-word answers. They ask the same tired questions that he has answered not just from every reporter on any given album, but consistently for decades. I think you could get Brian to more fully engage (although you can't get cocky ... who knows when he may or may not) with more real, person-to-person conversation. Not "so, are you going to get back together with the Beach Boys?" "How do you write a pop classic like Good Vibrations?"

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
HighOnLife
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 07:10:24 AM »

More enjoyable than the average article.

"I don't do drugs. I am drugs."
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx