gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:19:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Van Dyke Parks  (Read 27065 times)
RobotWisdom
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2008, 07:03:58 PM »

http://www.heavysugarradio.com/2008/09/van-dyke-parks-song-cycle-1968-ryko.html
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2008, 07:14:55 PM »

There is no question that things moved more quickly then than now. Clearly, the corporate world--and let's not kid ourselves, while it was getting there then, it is nothing but that now--has a certain machinery that includes project planning. focus groups, marketing plans and the like. Everything is slow. Everything includes consultants. Everything costs money. I believe that Song Cycle was ridiculously expensive, but I have serious questions that it remains the fourth most expensive album ever, all things considered. Mr. W. Axl Rose is STILL racking up costs on an album that's nearing what, 15 years overdue? For Parks to hire real, live musicians and actually paying someone to write out their parts was undoubtedly expensive. But really, I doubt it's anywhere near fourth all-time anymore. I question the list. Just off the top of my head, Zappa's London Symphony Orchestra albums HAD to be at least equally expensive.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2008, 02:21:04 AM »

There is no question that things moved more quickly then than now. Clearly, the corporate world--and let's not kid ourselves, while it was getting there then, it is nothing but that now--has a certain machinery that includes project planning. focus groups, marketing plans and the like. Everything is slow. Everything includes consultants. Everything costs money. I believe that Song Cycle was ridiculously expensive, but I have serious questions that it remains the fourth most expensive album ever, all things considered. Mr. W. Axl Rose is STILL racking up costs on an album that's nearing what, 15 years overdue? For Parks to hire real, live musicians and actually paying someone to write out their parts was undoubtedly expensive. But really, I doubt it's anywhere near fourth all-time anymore. I question the list. Just off the top of my head, Zappa's London Symphony Orchestra albums HAD to be at least equally expensive.

But isn't 'Chinese Democracy' a word pun, about something that won't happen anyway? I'd think that if I wanted to fool people, I could come up with something like this too...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2008, 07:00:06 AM »

If you do, share some of the wealth with me.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2008, 04:06:58 PM »

But isn't 'Chinese Democracy' a word pun, about something that won't happen anyway? I'd think that if I wanted to fool people, I could come up with something like this too...

OF COURSE!!!!!

I don't know why I never thought of that. Damn that Axl Rose, trying to trick us like that. Pfft.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2008, 04:09:49 PM »

I finally have seen something I want to respond to here, and VDP is my prime candidate for a very limited edition boxed set that would collect the best of his tracks from his albums. and some other tracks, such as those from the early Loss Leader albums that are worth using. We could start with the Steeltown Two and work forward to the present day.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2008, 10:24:30 AM »

Hi Peter, greetings from Germany. Good idea, but I thinks there are far too many songs with VDP participation - they would fill several boxed sets.

Box 1 VDP as  producer
Box 2 VDP as  arranger
Box 3 VDP as  player

Watson, did you hear this?
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2008, 10:49:01 AM »

Collecting VDP is quite a job- just counted over 50 album, 120 CD und about 20 45s in my collection and it's far from complete.

hey dogear - your collection sounds cool! what would you say your favorite vdp 45s are? i collect 45s too and wouldn't mind some vdp tips Wink

dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2008, 11:31:57 AM »

"Come to the sunshine/Farther Along" MGM K13570 and
"Number Nine (partly sung in German)/Do What You Wanta" MGM K13441 are a must - they're from the pre-Smile era. (1965/66)

Mojo Men: "Sit Down I Think I Love You" Reprise 0539 great VDP arrangement (1967)
George Washington Brown (=VDP) "Donovan's Colours" WB 7026 (1967)
"The eagle and Me/On the rolling Sea" (Both non-LP) WB 7409 (1970)
"Ocapella/Ode to Tobago" WB7609
"John Jones/Riverboat" WB 7632 (never seen this one) both from Discover America (1972) -
last 45 release in the US,
there is a German "Opportunity For Two/Many a Mile to go" WB 9292647 (1984) though.

If you like Steel Band Music other 45 which he produced are worth a mention:
Esso Trinidad Steelband: Superstar/Singer man WB 7532 (1971)
Goldie Hawn: Pitta Patta Reprise 1126 (1972)
Dino Martin: Sitting in Limbo Reprise 1129 (1972)

Oddity: Frank Stallone (Rocky's brother) "A Case Of You/Sea Song" produced By Nilsson, arrangements and accordion by VDP Scotti Brothers 11613 (European Release 1980)

Fresh from 2006: Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs The Pillowcase EP, VDP plays piano on "The Village Green Preservation Society" Parasol/Shout Factory 038

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2008, 04:00:40 AM »

I finally have seen something I want to respond to here, and VDP is my prime candidate for a very limited edition boxed set that would collect the best of his tracks from his albums. and some other tracks, such as those from the early Loss Leader albums that are worth using. We could start with the Steeltown Two and work forward to the present day.

Seconced, thirded, fourthed, and fifthed. There must be lots of hidden gems out there... somewhere I have the commercial for Datsun cars he did. It is so... weirdly beautiful, with those nymphs chanting the name of the car. Really, it exists outside of time. Ahead of time, or very backwards, or left or right or everywhere.
Say, Peter, can you make that a limited+1 box set edition (just in case)?

roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2008, 08:14:40 PM »

fyi (from bbb):
It has been brought to our attention that Van Dyke Parks is appearing in concert, along with Imara George (daughter of Little Feat's Lowell George) on Sunday, November 23rd at:

The Jazz Cafe
Camden Town
London

Tickets for "Standing Room Only" =
Tel 0870 0603777

Tickets for Restaurant Area =
Tel: 0207 768 88899

Please check out the Jazz Cafe website, for more information:

jazzcafe.co.uk

The gig has been described as "An Intimate Evening with Van Dyke Parks and Imara George".

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2008, 05:45:30 PM »

That's Inara George. They released an album together earlier this year, An Invitation, on Everloving Records.

dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2008, 09:50:52 AM »

Watch this:
www.kcrw.com/music/programs/mb/mb080912inara_george_and_van

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2008, 10:25:34 AM »

Great! How can one record this onto CD or DVD? Is there such thing as a programme? And: thanks!

carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2008, 09:01:05 AM »

if I were a TV exec I would give VDP his own show, an hour every few weeks, and say "just do what the hell you want"

I'm sure it would be extremely entertaining, and often educational.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2008, 10:59:42 AM »

if I were a TV exec I would give VDP his own show, an hour every few weeks, and say "just do what the hell you want"

I'm sure it would be extremely entertaining, and often educational.

I agree. There is a Dutch documentary where he and Randy Newman are together, having a nice chat. If you are in the mood you'll wet your pants laughing all the way through.

SG7
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2008, 07:53:18 PM »

Would kill to see this man perform near me!!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2008, 07:58:50 PM »

Ditto. I'm straight and gay marriage is illegal here, but I'd probably propose to him anyway. A word-nerd who plays a mean piano? Yes, please.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2008, 06:40:58 AM »

Hey Jay, whatcha mean by VDP's "two hens" quote?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2008, 07:21:50 AM »

To hear these songs with traditional instrumentation is so... weird. I think part of the appeal of the CD is the weirdness of the disconnect of the vocals from the rest of what's going on. But here they all go together.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2008, 10:31:54 AM »

true

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2008, 01:56:09 AM »

Ditto. I'm straight and gay marriage is illegal here, but I'd probably propose to him anyway. A word-nerd who plays a mean piano? Yes, please.

Two more advantages. He loves his red wine, and allegedly he is a great cook (does exotic African soups, for instance). Yes. He'd make a great wife. Luther, go for it!

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2008, 02:42:20 PM »

Two more advantages. He loves his red wine, and allegedly he is a great cook (does exotic African soups, for instance). Yes. He'd make a great wife. Luther, go for it!
Well I love red wine and also to cook. Maybe I'd make the great wife. In fact ... are VDP and I a lesbian couple? wtf?

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2008, 07:37:41 AM »

Well I love red wine and also to cook. Maybe I'd make the great wife. In fact ... are VDP and I a lesbian couple? wtf?

Grin brilliant...

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2008, 11:28:44 PM »

Can I get the sloppy VDP seconds?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx