gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 04:38:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Van Dyke Parks  (Read 27063 times)
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2008, 01:57:06 AM »

Back of the line, bro'.  However for those also interested in his music as well as his cooking, the Japanese reissue of "Song Cycle" is the version to get; totally remastered, apparently. Though you may all know this, thought I'd mention it.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2008, 09:27:58 AM »

One of my favorites from his oeuvre has to be the Trinidad Steel Band album. I love Discover America and to have yet another album consisting of the very same sound is just purely amazing.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2008, 10:19:15 AM »

One of my favorites from his oeuvre has to be the Trinidad Steel Band album. I love Discover America and to have yet another album consisting of the very same sound is just purely amazing.

Can you, um, transfer said album onto some kind of clay tablet and shoot that clay tablet with a cannon into the general direction of Europe?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2008, 01:18:57 AM »

I second this sentiment wholeheartedly! Esso Trinidad's LP is definitely one of those records that was worth the effort in tracking down and puts me in a wonderful mood everytime I throw it on and hear those grooves and rhythms bursting from the LP! Definitely recommended for all VDP fans..

Another one of my favorite Van Dyke Parks songs, High Coin from the 2nd Harpers Bizarre album. A great little psychedelic number

dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2008, 07:40:48 AM »

some non-LP Steelband stuff:
Esso Trinidad...: Cecilia WB 7447
Esso Trinidad...: Superstar WB 7537
Trinidad Tripoli...: Apeman WB 7476
They're all VDP productions I've been told. Everbody got those??

Watson, did you hear this?
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2008, 12:19:28 PM »

I can't really understand why Jump! hasn't entered the popular consciousness yet. It's very accessible and catchy - universal appeal, especially but not exclusively to children - and I guess it was a massive and very confident comeback for someone who appears to have kindof disappeared at one time in the 1970s. Actually, I'll hazard a guess - Jump! is still destined to cross through onto the pop cultural radar at one point or another. It's more about how and when, than if.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2008, 10:16:14 AM »

I second this sentiment wholeheartedly! Esso Trinidad's LP is definitely one of those records that was worth the effort in tracking down and puts me in a wonderful mood everytime I throw it on and hear those grooves and rhythms bursting from the LP! Definitely recommended for all VDP fans..

Another one of my favorite Van Dyke Parks songs, High Coin from the 2nd Harpers Bizarre album. A great little psychedelic number

High Coin is superb. If I am right VDP himself sings on it, thought uncredited. Gorgeous melody, great production values. There is also a lovely version of this song by the West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band, sort of a folk instrumental rendition.

dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2008, 11:07:40 AM »

ex-band mate (Greenwood Singers) and future Jefferson Airplane producer Rick Jarrard recorded the song on a 45 (Chattahoochee 700), he sounds like a mid-sixties Dylan produced by Phil Spector.
There's another version on 45 by a band called Fault Line on RCA 9771, but i haven't heard that one yet.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 11:34:03 AM by dogear » Logged

Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2008, 04:06:36 AM »

ex-band mate (Greenwood Singers) and future Jefferson Airplane producer Rick Jarrard recorded the song on a 45 (Chattahoochee 700), he sounds like a mid-sixties Dylan produced by Phil Spector.
There's another version on 45 by a band called Fault Line on RCA 9771, but i haven't heard that one yet.

You can listen to seven diffrent versions of "High Coin" here (a.o. the version by The Fault Line):

http://philxmilstein.com/probe/index.htm

(look for session 234)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2008, 05:14:26 AM »

You can listen to seven diffrent versions of "High Coin" here (a.o. the version by The Fault Line):

(look for session 234)

Thanks Christian, great!

carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2008, 05:28:47 AM »

Yes that is very much appreciated, cheers.

(look for session 234)
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2008, 01:27:58 PM »

dig his songcyclish arrangement on Jackie DeShannon's version. Thanks Christian!!

Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2011, 10:14:56 AM »

anyone think song cycle would have been more succesful if say VDP had got someone like Glen Campbell to sing it?

Just a random thought that occured to me today.  I like VDPs voice but it seems to suit Discover America better and is maybe a little weedy for SC.

Harry Nilsson singing Song Cycle would have been incredible
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 04:03:02 AM by My Brother Woody » Logged

onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2011, 02:38:33 PM »

Does the new remastering of "Song Cycle" take out some of that damned reverb?

That's what kept me from enjoying the treasures within--so much ketchup drowning the steak.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2011, 09:51:14 AM »

This link is still good. and GOOD!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2011, 10:03:17 AM »

surprised I have not seen anyone mention this yet - http://www.state.ie/news/27287-van-dyke-parks-european-tour-details

Hope they set up some kind of club/subscription to order all 5 singles.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2011, 05:37:18 AM »

Union Chapel tonight! eeeeeeeeeee!

Is anyone else from the board going?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2011, 05:16:02 PM »

No-one? A damn shame, as he was in good form! Full of joie de vivre and high spirits, and received a standing ovation. Met him afterwards, although didn't get a chance to mention the Smile box as i was in a somewhat starstruck mood.  Grin

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2011, 09:11:15 AM »

anyone think song cycle would have been more succesful if say VDP had got someone like Glen Campbell to sing it?

Just a random thought that occured to me today.  I like VDPs voice but it seems to suit Discover America better and is maybe a little weedy for SC.

Harry Nilsson singing Song Cycle would have been incredible
I do enjoy Harry Nilsson's take of Vine Street on Nilsson Sings Newman

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2011, 12:17:58 PM »

Hope people have been up to date with the new 7" singles series:

http://www.bananastan.com/singles.html

Now I'm really annoyed I skipped the London concert  Angry
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2011, 12:33:46 PM »

Hope people have been up to date with the new 7" singles series:

http://www.bananastan.com/singles.html

Now I'm really annoyed I skipped the London concert  Angry

Thanks!

Totally did not realize his singles were already available for download.

Also, just saw on itunes that a set called 'Arrangements Volume 1' was released May 10th on itunes - it has Come to the Sunshine, Do What You Wanta, Farther Along, and Ice Capades (which sounds like a track from A Clockwork Orange).

Sorry if this has already been talked about - I've been outta the loop for around two weeks now.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
willy
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga hagga hooga!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2011, 06:00:12 AM »

http://bananastan.com/esso.html

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said "Banana!"
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx