gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:11:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Van Dyke Parks  (Read 27440 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2008, 07:05:23 AM »

Perhaps we can discuss VDP's work a bit here too?

I am a huge, huge fan of his own 'solo' work. From 'Song Cycle' right through 'Moonlighting', it's fantastic. I am not really qualified to write reviews of each album, because I would run out of superlatives rather quickly. Let me only say that, when hearing 'Song Cycle' via headphones when I was 16 (in 1975, that is), I nearly asphyxiated, so breathless was I about the sheer inventiveness, the audacity, the arrangements and Lenny Waronker's production work. 'Discover America': ditto. Entirely different album, entirely same values. VDP was and is an enigma.

Out now is Inara George's CD 'An Invitation' (she's Lowell's daughter, by the way, and a friend of the Parks family). VDP did the arrangements, and going by the reviews, it's beautiful intimate chamber pop. Can't wait to hear it.
VDP also contributed to the new Clare And The Reasons album. Want to hear that too.
And I dearly like the soundtrack for the movie 'Popeye', another gem; Harry Nilsson and VDP are responsible for that one too.

I won't give away everything... there's a lot to enjoy at www.vandykeparks.com, a wonderful site approved by VDP, and run by German Jan Janssen.
Have fun!

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 07:14:32 AM »

I love his work. I thought Joanna Newsom's Ys sounded like it could just as well have been a VDP album with her lyrics--she clearly loves him. And his arrangements are always amazing. An Invitation is fantastic. It's a shame he doesn't have any money behind him to do his own work on a larger scale or more often.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 07:49:16 AM »

I love his work. I thought Joanna Newsom's Ys sounded like it could just as well have been a VDP album with her lyrics--she clearly loves him. And his arrangements are always amazing. An Invitation is fantastic. It's a shame he doesn't have any money behind him to do his own work on a larger scale or more often.

Nice call, tks. I was so fortunate to see him twice live in concert: one time in 1996, with a large string orchestra behind him (around 20 people, I think, including a big harp); and the second time with a string quartet. Needless to say both events were magical and magisterial. The man's also a wonderful raconteur, he comes over as a slightly eccentrical, wonderfully educated professor in literature, politics, history and music.

dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 10:56:51 AM »

Collecting VDP is quite a job- just counted over 50 album, 120 CD und about 20 45s in my collection and it's far from complete.

Watson, did you hear this?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 10:58:30 AM »

I'm glad I'm not a completist: if I don't like an artist he's working for, I don't feel the need to get it. I blow enough money on things I like to buy Rufus Wainright, U2 and Silverchair albums.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 11:59:47 AM »

I suspect Van Dyke is in some regards similar to Randy Newman -- if forces come together to enable a solo album (and if he has songs he likes) he'll record it. If not, he's content to do arrangements and film scoring, etc. He's not young enough to record a string of solo albums for indie labels and tour smoky bars -- although that would be cool.
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 01:28:26 PM »

only a rumour or was there really a 45 release of "Riverboat" (WB 7632?)?

SG7
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 06:01:16 PM »

I really like VDP. I think I am one of the few that hates Song Cycle. I mean don't get me wrong, I love Jump, Toyko Rose, Clang of the Yankee Reaper, the stuff he did with Indra from Bird & The Bee (I think it is FANTASTIC!!) and Black Sheep from the Walk Hard movie. Just can't get into Song Cycle though for some reason.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 01:35:02 AM »

I really like VDP. I think I am one of the few that hates Song Cycle. I mean don't get me wrong, I love Jump, Toyko Rose, Clang of the Yankee Reaper, the stuff he did with Indra from Bird & The Bee (I think it is FANTASTIC!!) and Black Sheep from the Walk Hard movie. Just can't get into Song Cycle though for some reason.

Hiya Surfergirl7 -

I am not that surprised. After 'Song Cycle', VDP worked in more traditional song structures. Perhaps that is what you mean to express. SC is more 'experimental', more echo-y; it's definitely one of a kind and unrepeatable.

dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 03:05:17 AM »

I think "traditional music" has become more and more important to him, he's trying to keep the "heritage of Americana" alive. Just check as an example the wonderful "Spooked" album by Marley's Ghost, which he produced 2006. The credit given by the band goes like this:
"Very special thanks to our skipper Van Dyke Parks, who, with humour and insight, guided us on a marvelous adventure to explore uncharted musical places"
and Ed Littlefield puts it in verse:
"Our prodigious producer Van Dyke
Told Dan, Jon, Ed and Mike
'More Chi-chi for you!'
And the parts grew and grew
Into amazing recordings we like

Now a band at hard work must be fed
Or they tire and grow weak in the head
With Van dyke in the kitchen
To create meals mas bitchin'
Is a most elegant way to break bread"

another example for unearthing old stuff is his interpretation of "Greenland Whale Fisheries" on Hal Willner's "Rogue's Gallery" project (2006).

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 03:58:10 AM »

I think "traditional music" has become more and more important to him, he's trying to keep the "heritage of Americana" alive. Just check as an example the wonderful "Spooked" album by Marley's Ghost, which he produced 2006. The credit given by the band goes like this:
"Very special thanks to our skipper Van Dyke Parks, who, with humour and insight, guided us on a marvelous adventure to explore uncharted musical places"
and Ed Littlefield puts it in verse:
"Our prodigious producer Van Dyke
Told Dan, Jon, Ed and Mike
'More Chi-chi for you!'
And the parts grew and grew
Into amazing recordings we like

Now a band at hard work must be fed
Or they tire and grow weak in the head
With Van dyke in the kitchen
To create meals mas bitchin'
Is a most elegant way to break bread"

another example for unearthing old stuff is his interpretation of "Greenland Whale Fisheries" on Hal Willner's "Rogue's Gallery" project (2006).

Great post, dogear! I recall VDP in a TV documentary (in which Randy Newman also figures), wearing a cook's skirt (is that the expression) and making some sort of African soup or something... and I must check out that Willner project. VDP did a great job on a Willner LP from 1985 or so, with songs by Kurt Weill, notably the Johnny Jonson Medley, with singer Kathy Dalton. If I remember correctly, he also was present on the Willner project with Walt Disney music.
(...and I bought a Peter Case 12" once, 'Small Town Spree', because VDP arranged the strings on it).
Great musician, great person.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 11:08:38 AM »

My favorite part about song cycle is that track 6 is "Van Dyke Parks" composed by "Public Domain" and track 7 is "Public Domain" composed by "Van Dyke Parks".

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 02:57:12 AM »

My favorite part about song cycle is that track 6 is "Van Dyke Parks" composed by "Public Domain" and track 7 is "Public Domain" composed by "Van Dyke Parks".

Smiley Perhaps his next album will have as track 6 'Van Dyke Parks' composed by 'Trad Arr', and as track 7: 'Trad Arr', by 'Van Dyke Parks'?

brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 11:59:55 AM »

Song Cycle was the glue that tied it together for me, in terms of getting into Smile. I bought Song Cycle in a 99 Cents store back in 1991. The cover looked cryptic, and kind of reminded me of, say, an XTC album jacket. Pastoral, dandy and slightly sardonic. I fell in love with that album, and as a teenager, no one, especially my girlfriend at the time, understood what I heard in it.

When I saw him interviewed on the B&W Brian Wilson documentary from 1995, I about crapped my pants. I thought no one in the world even knew who he was, let alone that he wrote lyrics with Brian Wilson. I always loved Brian's sweet falsetto voice on "Don't Worry Baby," but never thought in a million years that that voice would have been applied to far-out lyrics, like Van Dyke offered. It was like Christmas. Subconsciously, I always wanted to hear something that had Brian's voice and Van Dyke's lyrics, but I didn't think it would have existed. I thought I had Van Dyke all to myself. Like he was some great lost discovery.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 05:03:20 PM »

Song Cycle is such an utter delight and gem!

I remember being turned on to it around the time of the release of the first edition of Domenic Priore's Smile book. It was a little inaccessible at first, but
after repeated listenings cemented itself into my brain in a marvelous way.

The delicate and ethereal quality of the music and sophisticated poetry of the lyrics is captivating and appeals to both the intellect and the musical spirit of the listener.

I also particularly love Discover America, the title track of Clang of the Yankee Reaper, Jump and the Moonlighting at the Ash Grove live album.

Long live Van Dyke Parks, and thanks for being so loyal and motivational to Brian through the years, and his participation in the original composition of Smile
and the dream come true of its recent completion and release.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2008, 04:39:00 AM »

Song Cycle is such an utter delight and gem!

I remember being turned on to it around the time of the release of the first edition of Domenic Priore's Smile book. It was a little inaccessible at first, but
after repeated listenings cemented itself into my brain in a marvelous way.

The delicate and ethereal quality of the music and sophisticated poetry of the lyrics is captivating and appeals to both the intellect and the musical spirit of the listener.

I also particularly love Discover America, the title track of Clang of the Yankee Reaper, Jump and the Moonlighting at the Ash Grove live album.

Long live Van Dyke Parks, and thanks for being so loyal and motivational to Brian through the years, and his participation in the original composition of Smile
and the dream come true of its recent completion and release.

Lovely post. I agree with the sentiments expressed. 'Clang Of The Yankee Reaper' is one of the finest things I know... melancholy, ethereal, beautifully used synths (a rarity), and, as so often is the case with VDP, those female choruses... I think the women sing something like 'Sun In The Moon', or words to that effect, in an oriental fashion; and indeed, I saw things like this as a personal treasure for many a year. Not that anyone in high school understood anything about it, mind. All other kids were into Genesis, ELP, that kind of stuff.
Another personal favourite: 'Ode To Tobago', off of 'Discover America'. The slightly delayed female voices (again!) never fail to bring me into a somewhat orgiastic state, because they remind me of the erotic paintings of Paul Gauguin (his Tahiti period).
Since you sing his praise here so directly, allow me to chime in. Many, may thanks to mr. Van Dyke Parks for his utmost loyalty to Brian Wilson (how I wish I'd seen the London première of SMiLE... because he was there. We opted for the fourth show in 2004, at the Royal Festival Hall, because it was initially the last one, the 'finale' so to speak. But of course, we had a miraculous time nevertheless!).

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2008, 12:51:59 PM »

I think my favorite VDP album is actually his Moonlighting: Live at Ash Grove. His material sounds best to me on natural instruments and outside a studio environment. Too often those things get in the way, I think, painting it with the limitations of his finances (i.e. programmed orchestral instruments when he can't afford real ones) or just the annoyances of an era's style. Plus, the snippets of his conversation crack me up. That reading of "Orange Crate Art is my favorite (with the BW and VDP at the piano version from the BW doc IJWMFTT).

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, 04:37:57 PM »

I too quite like Moonlighting, just a terrific album and good song selection. The versions of the OCA songs are just as good, as well as a fantastic version of "FDR In Trinidad."

I'm also a keen fan of his work on Rufus Wainwright's first album, lovely album all in all really.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2008, 01:52:34 PM »

In 2002 he arranged and conducted Rufus Wainwright's version of "It's only a Paper Moon". It was released on the soundtrack album "Stormy Weather - The Music of Harold Arlen" (SonyClassical).
Another highlight is his arrangement for "Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye" on Carly Simon's "Film Noir" album (1997).

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 12:33:49 AM »

This is going to get me yelled at, but I'll say it anyway.  Razz Am I the only one who watches the VDP interview in "Beautiful Dreamer" and thinks to himself "closet homosexual"?  There is this quote VDP makes to Brian's band in one scene. I can't remember it exactly, but I think he says something about them being "old hens". Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 02:46:35 AM »

Generally, if someone is gay and in the closet, they wouldn't be so friggin' obvious. (And I say that as a gay guy.)
bythepeople
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2008, 08:32:37 AM »

Whoa....Van Dyke Parks.

I love everything the man does.  It's unreal to look at a list of all the people he's worked with.  He's like a superhero or something, or a robot.  I love his solo albums the most though.  In fact, if I had to, I would trade my entire music collection to keep my VDP albums.  I'm serious.

Like a lot of people, it all started with "Song Cycle" for me.  I've never in my life reacted to music the way I did with that album.  It is my favourite album of all time.  "By The People" is my favourite.  It has no rules.

Then I looked into all he's done and realized that my whole life I've been in love with his work, but didn't know it (like that time when I was 11 and someone was buying Ry Cooder's debut album at a store and I ran up to him and started to talk about the string arrangement on "One Meat Ball"...turns out he just likes Ry Cooder's guitar playing....).  I quickly bought all VDP's albums and I love all of them to death.  I can't choose a favourite.  It's probably Tokyo Rose, actually.  "Manzanar"....whoa.  It sounds timeless.  And it's a very smart record too.  WHO writes such a beautiful song about a camp where they held Japanese Americans during WWII?  VDP's who.

And don't even get me started on Jump....  actually, this album is probably my favourite.

Err, as you can see, I can't even choose my favourite VDP album, but I can easily say that he is my fave rave. 

Have you seen this?  It's great:
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=123pGTWPHAw

Overalls are awesome...
bythepeople
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2008, 08:37:14 AM »

Ohhhhh yeah, and the Moonlighting album - Wings of a Dove blows my head off!  The piano, then the kick of the drum to start it off.  Whoa.
RobotWisdom
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2008, 06:16:10 PM »

Q magazine (list #63 at: http://www.rocklistmusic.co.uk/q150lists.htm) claims Song Cycle
is the 4th most expensive album ever (a claim repeated in Wikipedia) at 218,000 pounds
in today's money ($48k then?).

But the gap between VDP and the top 3 is absurdly wide, so I don't find this credible at all--
surely many big albums have cost more than $300,000 US?
http://futureboy.homeip.net/fsp/dollar.fsp?quantity=48000&currency=dollars&fromYear=1968
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2008, 12:55:02 AM »

Q magazine (list #63 at: http://www.rocklistmusic.co.uk/q150lists.htm) claims Song Cycle
is the 4th most expensive album ever (a claim repeated in Wikipedia) at 218,000 pounds
in today's money ($48k then?).

But the gap between VDP and the top 3 is absurdly wide, so I don't find this credible at all--
surely many big albums have cost more than $300,000 US?
http://futureboy.homeip.net/fsp/dollar.fsp?quantity=48000&currency=dollars&fromYear=1968

Intriguing call. I sometimes wonder how long it took VDP to realize Song Cycle. Because modern 'superbands' look very lazy to me. They rake in millions with touring and take years to make an album. Surely that must be very costly? But then, they can even afford losing money on a CD, because of those ugly ticket prices they demand nowadays for a stadium seat about 5 miles away from the stage... Angry

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx