gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:42:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Zoo" and other favorites - rock's great fake albums!  (Read 2083 times)
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2008, 11:02:41 PM »

Thought this was relevant, since there was discussion about "Zoo" in the other thread... there seem to be quite a few fake albums in rock 'n' roll lore.  I don't mean misattributed ones (like "Klaatu" or "The Phantom's Divine Comedy") but ones that were never made by the band and only began as urban legends.  Any others I'm missing?

* The Beach Boys - "Remember The Zoo?" (1966)
TRACKS: In The Back Of My Mind / Let Him Run Wild / Summer Means New Love / The Little Girl I Once Knew / Trombone Dixie / In My Childhood / Pet Sounds / I'm Waiting For The Day / I'm In Great Shape / Teeter Totter Love / Tones / Remember The Zoo?
SOURCE: A hoax in Beach Boys Australia magazine that got out of hand thanks to fan confusion.
CREATED?: Yes, I made a reconstruction of it

* The Beatles - "Hot As Sun" (1969)
TRACKS: Maxwell's Silver Hammer / Don't Let Me Down / Hot As Sun / Junk / Polythene Pam / Octopus's Garden / I Should Like To Live Up A Tree / Zero Is Just Another Even Number / What's The News Mary Jane / Dirty Old Man / Proud As You Are / Watching Rainbows
SOURCE: An untrue article printed in Rolling Stone in 1970, detailing the Beatles' lost album from the summer of 1969
CREATED?: Yes, released on CD by the Japanese bootleg label Junk Headz in two different variations

* The Masked Marauders - "The Masked Marauders" (1969)
TRACKS: Season Of The Witch / With A Little Help From My Friends / In The Midnight Hour / Masters Of War / Prisoners Of Love / Duke Of Earl / The Book Of Love / I'm The Japanese Sandman (Rang Tang Ding Dong) / Mammy / Cow Pie / I Can't Get No Nookie / Kick Out The Jams / Oh Happy Day
SOURCE: Another incorrect Rolling Stone article detailing a supposed collaboration between Lennon, McCartney, Harrison, Dylan, and Jagger
CREATED?: Yes, recorded in truncated form by the Cleanliness and Godliness Skiffle Group to meet the demand for the nonexistent album

* They Might Be Giants - "Insect Hospital" (1987)
SOURCE: The band themselves, in an onstage comment, claimed that this was a 'lost album' between their debut album and "Lincoln" - but when viewed alongside other onstage comments (John Flansburgh once stated that their next album was called "Factory Showroom 2: Back To Hell"), it most likely never existed
CREATED?: No, though there's enough unreleased material from that period that I suppose a fan could make one if they wanted to...

* Pink Floyd - "Double Core" (2006)
TRACKS: Deep Horizon / Titanic Drill / Away From The Skies / Magnolia / Silent Victory / Come And See / No Heaven and No Hell / Stars
SOURCE: Online rumor about a four-man Floyd reunion album started by a fan on a forum, who enhanced the rumor by creating a CD booklet for the supposed album
CREATED?: Yes, every song was later written and recorded by the Neptune Pink Floyd forum.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 11:19:52 PM by TheLazenby » Logged
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 04:12:58 AM »

But 'Remember The Zoo' does exist! I happen to have it on the Albanian 'King Zog Rules' label... catalogue number # ST-2581.

Track listing:

(A Capella Intro sans Words)/The Joys Of Love/A Weekend Alone/In The Country Side/Carefree Days/Brian's Folly (instrumental)/My Desiree ----- Glimpses/The Shining Sun/Bad Habit/Reaching Home Again/Sequoia (instrumental)/Darling Don't Go

A nice effort. Not unlike 'Pet Sounds', really.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 07:11:50 AM »

How about fake versions of real ones?
Singer-songwriter Ben Folds responded to the inevitable leak of his forthcoming album Way To Normal in a unique way: he leaked it himself. Only the songs weren't real — he spent eight hours recording "fake" versions of six tracks during a late-night Dublin, Ireland session in early July, then let friends work their magic on the Web.
"You see so many rock bands in the studio and it's serious, serious business," the 42-year-old singer-pianist tells Rolling Stone. "They got the making-of camera up their ass the whole time and they're on the BlackBerry the other half of the time. I just think that we all need to remember how to have fun."

The self-leak idea came during an early July flight to Europe with drummer Sam Smith and bassist Jared Reynolds (the trio were traveling as part of a year-long tour that includes 15 dates in the fall; Way To Normal hits stores September 30th). Folds says the group rented studio time with nine joke songs in eight hours as the goal. They finished six at the pace of Sixties studio musicians and had a blast.
David Downs, Rolling Stone, http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/22595157/why_i_leaked_it_ben_folds_co

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 02:12:08 PM »

That's a good point... 'leaked' tracklists aren't necessarily legitimate.  Three that I've seen:

Weird Al Yankovic - "Straight Outta Lynwood" (2006)
  • SOURCE: Supposed Amazon screenshot posted to Al's forum
  • FAKE TRACKS: White And Nerdy / Instant Reality / Close But No Cigar / Weasel Stomping Day / Straight Outta Lynwood / Don't Download This Song / Trapped In The Polka / Green Franken Jazeera / The Bed Bugs Bite / Massachusetts Gets Abusive / Maybe! / Hold Your Horse's Hat
  • REAL TRACKS: White And Nerdy / Pancreas / Canadian Idiot / I'll Sue Ya! / Polkarama / Virus Alert / Confessions Part III / Weasel Stomping Day / Close But No Cigar / Do I Creep You Out / Trapped In The Drive-Thru / Don't Download This Song
  • OVERLAP: Four songs.  Ironically, the hoaxer left out "I'll Sue Ya", the first song mentioned as being on SOL.

Paul McCartney - "Memory Almost Full" (2007)
  • SOURCE: Faked tracklisting on Starbucks Gossip site
  • FAKE TRACKS: To Be Said / Bring The Dawn / Memory Almost Full / Love Hear My Thunder / Robber Of Soul / Cracks In The Earth / Buy The Farm / It Happens Every Time / Silent Water / God **** Rock 'N' Roll / Pizza and Fairy Tales / Pictures In Song Suite
  • REAL TRACKS: Dance Tonight / Ever Present Past / See Your Sunshine / Only Mama Knows / You Tell Me / Mr. Bellamy / Gratitude / Vintage Clothes / That Was Me / Feet In The Clouds / House Of Wax / The End of The End / Nod Your Head
  • OVERLAP: Absolutely none.

Dark Lotus - "The Opaque Brotherhood" (2008)
  • SOURCE: Unknown, though the fake tracklist did appear on Wikipedia eventually
  • FAKE TRACKS: Intro / Fishing Salmon / Hidden In The Carcass / No Pure Women / I Need Your Limbs / Coming Out Of The Grave / Bloody Wild Cherry Pie Break / Don't Talk To Me / My **** Is On Fire / Fascist Vampire / Unholy Vasectomy In The Confessional / I'm Not Joking / Juggholocaust / The Smelly Lotus / Outro
  • REAL TRACKS: Intro / In Bloom / Follow The Leader / Black Sand / Can You Keep A Secret / Heinous / Backwords / Keep Up / Witch Trapped In This Song / Opaque Brotherhood / Hot Poison / Falling / Trapped Inside / Withered
  • OVERLAP: Absolutely none.  (The 'intro' could've been anything.)  The tracklist doesn't even seem like a Dark Lotus album; some tracks are just lame fake titles ("The Smelly Lotus"), but for the most part, it seems like an album by the Insane Clown Posse, the members of which are both in Dark Lotus.  Nevertheless, this version spread like wildfire.

And speaking of ICP, that reminds me of another non-existent album...

Insane Clown Posse - "The Red Magician" (2001)
  • TRACKS: Intro / The Magic Show / Enter The Freak / Karnie Killa / Another Neden Game / Midway Murderer / Haunted Haugh / Hall Of Shame / Millennium / Unleash The Butterfly / The Mighty Heckler / Jeckel Brothers' Finale / Magician's Final Trick / Fate Of The Riddle Box / Ringmaster's Last Word / The Carnival's Closing / The Coming Of Shangri-La
  • SOURCE: The original source is unknown, but for a time it seemed to be mentioned on quite a few fansites as being the upcoming finale to ICP's ongoing 'Joker's Cards' series.  Shame it's not legit, because it sounds like it would've capped off the series much better than "The Wraith" did...
  • CREATED?: Unfortunately not.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 07:35:43 PM by TheLazenby » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx