gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:57:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: TLOS Bonus tracks  (Read 4671 times)
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: August 22, 2008, 03:23:07 PM »

Having heard the album now in full I must say I really enjoyed it, the production is far and away the best on any Brian album including Smile, and its cohesive. Brians singing is certainly the most listenable he has done for some years, and indeed his voice has developed some new nuances that I can hear. My least favourite bits are the 'rockers' I think - Morning beat, Going home and also California Role, but I pretty much like all the others - even Mexican Girl (I like the bass on it). Overall great!!!

I look forward to buying the CD, although there seems to be 5 (non CD) bonus tracks coming up for TLOS;

itunes;
1. Oh Mi Amor (I reckon this might be the Spanish ballad that Brian was talking about a while back)
2. Message Man (No idea?)
The clips on itunes sound nice and to be honest these could have easily been slid into the album i'm sure.

'Best Buy';
1. Good Kind of Love (with Carole King - this means she may have had hand in it as thought)
2. I'm into something good (cover of Hermans Hermits song, I like this so it could be good)
3. Just like me and you (No idea about this either)

Anyway, anyone know anything about the originas of the bonus tracks?

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 04:27:56 PM »

Oh Mi Amor and Message Man both come from the Brian-Scott summer of 06 sessions.

Brian and Carole King did some recording together -- but not writing -- around the same time. She apparently sang on a version of "Live Let Live" too. The demo of "Good Kind of Love" that leaked with the rest of the TLOS demos features her, I believe, on backing vocals -- so that would be first BB track. She and Brian also collaborate on the "Something Good" song, which she co-wrote back in the 60s.

As for "Just Like Me and You" -- Never heard of it before the bonus track announcements.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 07:50:29 PM »

Oh Mi Amor can't be the Spanish ballad... it's in English!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 07:59:43 PM »

Have you heard more than the 30 second clip on iTunes? Because if not, I'd guess that a Spanish title offsets a little sample and we can at least reasonably suspect it COULD be that song.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 08:05:56 PM »

Part of it is in English, and part of it is in Spanish. The song was only ever advertised as being partially in Spanish. Here's the original article from 2006:

BRIAN WILSON SCALING THINGS BACK ON NEW STUDIO ALBUM

Brian Wilson is back in the studio and going full steam ahead for a new solo album, due out next year. In an exclusive to LAUNCH, Wilson revealed that in addition to the track he co-wrote with Burt Bacharach called "What Love Can Do," he's completed about a half dozen tracks, featuring most of the instruments and vocals performed by himself and touring band member Scott Bennett. Wilson added that on several songs horns have been overdubbed.

LAUNCH asked Wilson if he's heading into the studio every day: ["No. Not every day. Every two, three days. About four, four hours per session. I'm writing on a synthesizer. It's like a kick, it makes me inspired to write a melody."] SOUNDCUE (:10 OC: . . . write a melody)

The stripped down approach has been used by Wilson many times in the past, most notably on the Beach Boys' Wild Honey and The Beach Boys Love You albums, released in 1967 and 1977, respectively.

Wilson's mid-'90s work with the Paley Brothers' Andy Paley was the last time he utilized the "two-man-band" approach.

Among the songs that Wilson said will be included on the still-untitled album are "Oxygen To The Brain," "I'm Goin' Home," "A Message Man," "Wonderin' What You're Up To Now," a new untitled ballad sung partially in Spanish with both music and lyrics by Wilson, the Bacharach co-written "What Love Can Do," and a cover of Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Proud Mary."

Brian Wilson will be performing a special 40th anniversary performance of the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds album on November 1st in Los Angeles at UCLA's Royce Hall. It's his only remaining scheduled show this year.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 08:17:28 PM »

Okay, okay...

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 09:33:23 PM »

Having heard the album now in full I must say I really enjoyed it, the production is far and away the best on any Brian album including Smile, and its cohesive. Brians singing is certainly the most listenable he has done for some years, and indeed his voice has developed some new nuances that I can hear. My least favourite bits are the 'rockers' I think - Morning beat, Going home and also California Role, but I pretty much like all the others - even Mexican Girl (I like the bass on it). Overall great!!!

I look forward to buying the CD, although there seems to be 5 (non CD) bonus tracks coming up for TLOS;

itunes;
1. Oh Mi Amor (I reckon this might be the Spanish ballad that Brian was talking about a while back)
2. Message Man (No idea?)
The clips on itunes sound nice and to be honest these could have easily been slid into the album i'm sure.

'Best Buy';
1. Good Kind of Love (with Carole King - this means she may have had hand in it as thought)
2. I'm into something good (cover of Hermans Hermits song, I like this so it could be good)
3. Just like me and you (No idea about this either)

Anyway, anyone know anything about the originas of the bonus tracks?

I pre-ordered this on Amazon, now I'm wondering if I should wait for Best Buy instead.  Amazon is cheaper, but sometimes BB puts things on sale the first week.  Plus,  I'm also wondering if the CD/DVD will be worth it.  Is it all a doc about making the album, with a couple of performances?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 10:25:40 PM »

Yep.

This is what I'm doing. I have an iTunes preorder in. I will go to Best Buy for the Carol King track version -- it should be 10-12 bucks or so, if past pricing is any guide. I'll then buy the double disc version somewhere -- so yeah, I'll be paying about 30 bucks to get it all.

But I've been eating too much anyway. Food can wait.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 03:28:38 AM »

Among the songs that Wilson said will be included on the still-untitled album are "Oxygen To The Brain," "I'm Goin' Home," "A Message Man," "Wonderin' What You're Up To Now," a new untitled ballad sung partially in Spanish with both music and lyrics by Wilson, the Bacharach co-written "What Love Can Do," and a cover of Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Proud Mary."

Yeah, this is the article! I remember reading something else that the Spanish ballad rivalled 'God Only knows'.......hmmm? We'll see!
"Wonderin.." became 'California Role' so thats all those songs accounted for. I'm sure once we have all the bonus tracks we will all be compiling them in with the album in typical BB-fan fashion. I think 'What love can do' will slide in easy, I won't be sticking Proud Mary in it though!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 06:22:32 AM »

Is this the same spanish ballad that one of Brian's daughters (maybe Carnie?) was raving about? I remember reading somewhere that she's quoted as describing a spanish tune he wrote that she thought was better than God Only Knows? Something tells me though, i may be getting several anecdotes mixed up.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 10:21:13 AM »

Anyone know how to order from Best Buy if you live in Canada?  I got no search results for "Brian Wilson" on the Canadian   website.  It comes right up, bonus track listings and all on the US website, but it looks like they don't ship to Canada!   Angry
Any fellow Canucks have a solution?

Thanks,
Geoff

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 12:05:46 AM »

Anyone know how to order from Best Buy if you live in Canada?  I got no search results for "Brian Wilson" on the Canadian   website.  It comes right up, bonus track listings and all on the US website, but it looks like they don't ship to Canada!   Angry
Any fellow Canucks have a solution?

Thanks,
Geoff

Not sure Geoff but I read someone saying that they only ship to the U.S. So being an Aussie I'm in the same boat as you unfortunately...
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 01:42:40 AM »

If you know someone in the States, perhaps they could order it for ya and send it to you.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx