-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:29:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Did he or didn't he?
Poll
Question: Is Steven Gaines really posting here?  (Voting closed: August 26, 2008, 01:49:10 AM)
It's him - 15 (65.2%)
I'ts not - 6 (26.1%)
I'm him. - 2 (8.7%)
Total Voters: 21

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Did he or didn't he?  (Read 9122 times)
MBE
« on: August 21, 2008, 01:49:10 AM »

Check the Brian autobiography thread out and let me know what you think.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 03:00:07 AM »

I voted "I'ts not" (sic), but after thinking about it for awhile, I'm not sure. It's hard to tell just from one post.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 04:02:50 AM »

just for fun I chose "It's him", but I really wouldn't know....

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 04:14:49 AM »

I think it is Todd Gold, suffering from guilt and 'fessing up.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 05:05:57 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 05:17:47 AM »

I don't see why it couldn't be him. I mean no disrespect to him or anything but it's not like his book is very popular in the Beach Boys world. I mean considering Steve Desper etc.. posts here I don't know why it would be so strange. If it was Brian, Mike, Bruce or Al or someone a little more closely tied in with the band then I would be a little more suspect.
MBE
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 05:44:47 AM »

It's only because he hasn't said anything publially on the Beach Boys in a very long time. Even the clips in the True Hollywood Story were older. I don't remember ever doing anything fan related either.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 06:10:36 AM »

It's only because he hasn't said anything publially on the Beach Boys in a very long time. Even the clips in the True Hollywood Story were older. I don't remember ever doing anything fan related either.

Well there is of course no way of telling but you may be right. I just can't imagine someone pretending to be Steven Gaines though? I mean of all the people (that are reasonably believable) that you could pretend to be. Why not Geoffrey Cushing-Murray or something? I mean someone who had something directly to do with the band.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 06:17:23 AM »

Well there is of course no way of telling but you may be right. I just can't imagine someone pretending to be Steven Gaines though? I mean of all the people (that are reasonably believable) that you could pretend to be. Why not Geoffrey Cushing-Murray or something? I mean someone who had something directly to do with the band.

Are you talking about me? The band generated a considerable amount of income from this author, I mean.

Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 06:31:20 AM »

I think so, and I'd like to think so.  As Sean Connery says in "The Untouchables", who would say he is, who was not?

If we treat him respectfully, and he comes back, it's a golden opportunity to grill the guy and ask some excellent questions.  Say what you will about his book- and I have- he did some monster research and the good information there far outweighs the other stuff.  And we've all read it.

This board has had some extremely interesting guests, in addition to Mr. Desper. Michael Vosse was one of the most remarkable I've seen, for one, and Melinda Love- Mike's oldest- was a gracious and good-humored visitor.  Carrie Marks, who has taken scholarly  questions right to Dave and brought us the answers;  Mark Linnett, Alan Boyd...Some one should come up with a list.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 08:37:31 AM »

Nick Venet's grandson(?) showed up once.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 08:43:21 AM »

This board has had some extremely interesting guests, in addition to Mr. Desper. Michael Vosse was one of the most remarkable I've seen, for one, and Melinda Love- Mike's oldest- was a gracious and good-humored visitor.  Carrie Marks, who has taken scholarly  questions right to Dave and brought us the answers;  Mark Linnett, Alan Boyd...Some one should come up with a list.

I'd like to know how the guests ended up here. Like, did someone approach them and say, "Hey, there's this great BBs message board, and it would be great if you'd drop by..." or did each of them just show up one day, like they were on the Internet and stumbled across this board and thought they'd say just one thing and ended up becoming regulars? With the blueboard, it's a mixture of both. VDP came by at someone's invitation and stayed for about 30 minutes, answering questions. Others, like Nelson Bragg, drop in occasionally and make one or two posts and leave. I'd guess it's a mixture on this board too, but what are the origins of some of the honored guest presences?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 10:30:36 AM »

The Beach Boys Britain board at one point had Bruce Johnston, John Cowsill, and Scott Totten posting all at once. And John was a very regular poster for a few weeks. Bruce Johnston "checks in" with BBBb every so often. I would post there all the time if not for the horrible interface (same thing with the Blueboard).

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
MBE
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 03:54:30 PM »

Well he has reposted so why not I guess it's him.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 12:28:19 AM »

So far, only one vote for "I'm him," so that might be a good sign. 
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 01:05:05 AM »

Wasn't David Anderle's son Jonathan posting on this board or one of it's previous incarnations?
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2008, 03:21:49 AM »

The Beach Boys Britain board at one point had Bruce Johnston, John Cowsill, and Scott Totten posting all at once. And John was a very regular poster for a few weeks. Bruce Johnston "checks in" with BBBb every so often. I would post there all the time if not for the horrible interface (same thing with the Blueboard).

I think it's very well possible that several more people from the Beach Boys camp read the forums from time to time and either don't post or post anonymously. Who knows... Reading your own fan forums every now and then is probably the same thing for famous people as googling yourself is for everyone else...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 03:28:01 AM by shelter » Logged
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2008, 03:44:49 AM »

I think it's very well possible that several more people from the Beach Boys camp read the forums from time to time and either don't post or post anonymously. Who knows... Reading your own fan forums every now and then is probably the same thing for famous people as googling yourself is for everyone else...

Makes sense. I have revised my original opinion (guesswork) and now think it might be mr. G. with a mathematical certainty of 74.56 % (although around 87.12% of all statistics are made up on the spot).

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2008, 06:50:47 AM »

Makes sense. I have revised my original opinion (guesswork) and now think it might be mr. G. with a mathematical certainty of 74.56 % (although around 87.12% of all statistics are made up on the spot).

Are you sure of that figure? I could swear it was higher.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2008, 06:54:14 AM »

Wasn't David Anderle's son Jonathan posting on this board or one of it's previous incarnations?

Yep he has posted here a few times and is indeed an "honored guest".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2008, 07:22:58 AM »

Are you sure of that figure? I could swear it was higher.

Now, yeah, some scientists claim that it's actually 102.27%.

Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2008, 03:51:24 PM »

It seems pretty clearly to really be him after examining the content, almost to the point that any suspicion about his identity seems almost
incomprehensible, although there are those unusual individuals out there with such a pathological need for attention that they will go to almost
any lengths, such as meticulously researching and referencing the background of an author, to draw attention to themselves.

He seems to have a lucid and whimsical attitude about Landy and other past events and I for one hope that he adds further details and insights,
as he remembers them or is inclined to, and welcome his presence.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2008, 04:04:50 PM »

This doesn't belong here. Moving to sandbox.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2008, 04:49:43 PM »

It seems pretty clearly to really be him after examining the content, almost to the point that any suspicion about his identity seems almost
incomprehensible, although there are those unusual individuals out there with such a pathological need for attention that they will go to almost
any lengths, such as meticulously researching and referencing the background of an author, to draw attention to themselves.

I didn't see anyone in the thread doing anything nearly so sinister as you seem to have seen. The only thing I can see that could be considered even remotely close to "meticulously researching and referencing the background of an author" is my post, if me pulling the quote from a book that was four feet from where I was sitting (which took all of two minutes) because I was clarifying what was being discussed fits your description. If you think I'm incomprehensible, unusual or have any pathological needs, you can just say so directly to me, rather than the passive-aggressive anonymous stuff. I'm a big boy who can take it. (If you meant anyone else, well, then I'm an overly sensitive big boy who apparently makes up the need to take it when he's really unrelated to the situation altogether.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
MBE
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2008, 06:11:52 PM »

I am very convinced it's him now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: