gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:03:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wierdest BB Comp Tracklistings  (Read 4949 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2006, 01:27:19 PM »

yeah, you could describe your own that you made, but it's better to make fun of the real records! I have one my parents bought before i was born...it's a greatest hits obviously, double LP, it's like the people just randomly picked from the Capitol archives from Surfin' Safari to 20/20... here it goes:
A
Summertime Blues
Anna Lee the Healer
Boogie Woodie
Tell Me Why
Louie Louie
Good to My baby

B
How She boogalooed It
Dont Talk
Car Crazy Cutie
We'll Run Away
Misirlou
Whistle In

C
I was Made to Love Her
Cotton Fields
All I want to Do
dont Back Down
Help Me, Rhonda
Dance, Dance Dance

D
All Summer Long
Little Honda
Drive-In
I Can hear Music
Do you wanna Dance
Summertime Blues (again? idk)

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jason
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 01:28:27 PM »

11 of those are real head-scratchers.
Evenreven
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 01:55:22 PM »

Wow. That's pretty pointless. "Louie Louie" is so bad it shouldn't even have been on a Beach Boys album, much less a compilation.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 01:59:16 PM »

and for some odd reason...none of them are from Summer Days...the help me rhonda is actually Ronda from today...wierd

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 06:07:00 PM »

I saw a "Beach Boys Greatest Hits" at a used CD store that was just a bunch of instrumentals from 1961 or thereabouts... no 'hits' at all.

I also think there's one that inadvertantly includes "The Little Old Lady From Pasadena", and not the Beach Boys' cover.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 07:26:10 AM »

I saw a "Beach Boys Greatest Hits" at a used CD store that was just a bunch of instrumentals from 1961 or thereabouts... no 'hits' at all.

There are lots of CDs and LPs with 'hits' of 'best of' in the title that contain the Hite Morgan sessions and instrumentals by other bands.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 07:39:12 AM »

I have several budget-line Capitol compilations from the early 80's on cassette (most of them released under the Capitol/SM (Special Markets) label), and they all have eclectic tracklistings like the one listed above. The most strange inclusion I can think of is on a compilation called "Golden Harmonies." It contains the instrumental "Pet Sounds", which I think isn't the best display of their "golden harmonies."

I know a lot of people find the "Instrumental Hits" (or whatever the title is) compilation amusing and eclectic, but at least all of the inclusions on that make some sense thematically.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 07:47:16 AM »

yeah, i agree with ya. I was looking on 10 Years of Harmony, that's got some head scratchers as well....stuff from MIU.... Huh

~post of the century~
-Mikie

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 11:18:37 AM »

Here are some tracklistings from some of the compilation cassettes I have:

"The Beach Boys" (not to be confused with the self-titled '85 album)
Release Date: 1983
Label: Capitol/SM (Special Markets)

Side One:
1. Sloop John B.
2. Catch A Wave
3. The Warmth Of The Sun
4. Wild Honey

Side Two:
1. 409
2. Hushabye
3. Don't Back Down
4. Why Do Fools Fall In Love
5. Summer Means New Love

"Summer Dreams"
Release Date: 1983
Label: Capitol/SM (Special Markets)

Side One:
1. Shut Down
2. Do You Remember
3. Summertime Blues
4. Your Summer Dreams
5. Girl Don't Tell Me

Side Two:
1. Heroes & Villains
2. Let Him Run Wild
3. Then I Kissed Her
4. Pet Sounds

"For All Seasons"
Release Date: 1984
Label: Capitol/SM (Special Markets)/Pair Records

Program 1:
1. Surfin' Safari
2. Darlin'
3. Girls On The Beach
4. Let's Go Trippin'
5. I Get Around
6. Hushabye
7. Summertime Blues
8. This Car Of Mine

Program 2:
1. Be True To Your School
2. Surfer Girl
3. Louie, Louie
4. Finders Keepers
5. Wouldn't It Be Nice
6. Don't Worry Baby
7. Devoted To You
8. Why Do Fools Fall In Love

"Golden Harmonies"
Release Date: 1985
Label: Capitol/SM (Special Markets)/Pair Records

Program 1:
1. Help Me Rhonda
2. Dance, Dance, Dance
3. When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)
4. Johnny B. Goode
5. Fun, Fun, Fun
6. Keep An Eye On Summer
7. 409
8. Pet Sounds

Program 2:
1. Little Deuce Coupe
2. Do You Wanna Dance
3. Sloop John B.
4. Shut Down
5. Surfin' USA
6. The Little Old Lady From Pasadena
7. The Wanderer
8. Surfin'

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 11:20:16 AM »

7. 409
8. Pet Sounds

NICE!

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2006, 12:22:02 PM »

so yeah, including Party! and Concert songs on greatest hits comps just make me wonder

~post of the century~
-Mikie

TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2006, 03:37:53 PM »

I don't understand why we need all these stupid compilations... just put out the boxed set or three Greatest Hits CD's and shut the hell up already!

Same with the Beatles.  The only compilation worth getting (non-Anthology) was the "Yellow Submarine Songtrack", because everything was a different mix.  Stupid CD's like "One" are unnecessary.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2006, 12:08:37 AM »

What are you talking about? One is completely necessary. Single versions, geeze.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2006, 12:10:02 AM »

Uhhh, One is about the thousandth release of those single versions, and all of em aren't there. You don't think Past masters nullifies the need for One?

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2006, 12:17:54 AM »

What are you talking about? One is completely necessary. Single versions, geeze.
"1" does not contain the single versions in several cases. Everything up to including Hey Jude/Revolution was mono on the single. In addition, "1" is the worst sounding of all Beatles CDs...but that's another story. Sorry for derailing the thread.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 12:19:43 AM by Andreas » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2006, 01:10:31 AM »

Hmm, you're right, I usually tend to ignore the Past Masters series when I think of Beatles albums..

And technically the 20-disc or so "Complete Beatles Singles" or whatever boxset is really all you need..

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2006, 01:36:12 AM »

Hmm, you're right, I usually tend to ignore the Past Masters series when I think of Beatles albums..
Well, the Past Masters don't have all the single versions as well...e.g. I Feel Fine or Paperback Writer are presented in their stereo mixes instead of single mixes.
And technically the 20-disc or so "Complete Beatles Singles" or whatever boxset is really all you need..
The "Compact Disc Singles Collection" is mostly excellent, but even that one has the wrong version of Love Me Do (which is understandable, since the tape of the Ringo-on-drums version is lost.). And a few of the early singles were taken of the album tapes, which have additional reverb that was not present on the singles.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2006, 02:16:59 AM »

Stupid CD's like "One" are unnecessary.

That CD was mostly aimed at the casual listeners that don't want all the albums but just one CD with songs they know from the radio.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2006, 05:58:40 AM »

unfortunatly i was appart of the buying 1 crowd. but then i bought all their albums, i guess i didnt know their music that well before...so it sold me to the beatles...i dont play my 1 cd at all

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2006, 06:20:06 AM »

IStupid CD's like "One" are unnecessary.

They're necessary to the record companies who wish to keep re-packaging and re-selling the same catalogue over and over to new generations of people, or even the same people again over time, and who maybe don't take quite such a thorough and in depth interest in 'pop music' as many people here do.  Also, records like that can be the catalyst that brings people in.

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx