gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:37:05 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Keepin' The Summer Alive
5 - 5 (3.7%)
4 - 13 (9.6%)
3 - 52 (38.2%)
2 - 44 (32.4%)
1 - 16 (11.8%)
0 - 6 (4.4%)
Total Voters: 120

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Keepin' The Summer Alive  (Read 123092 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 26, 2005, 08:52:12 AM »

Discuss, review and rate Keepin' The Summer Alive, released March 1980.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 03:11:52 PM by Charles LePage » Logged

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 11:05:19 AM »

I'm not sure what, if any, words can properly describe this album. That isn't a compliment. A few tracks have a few redeeming qualities. That's the best compliment I can give it...that and that things continued to get worse.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jason
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 01:19:47 PM »

The worst Beach Boys album of all time. Absolutely disgusting. If this was the best the band could do in 1980, I am not impressed.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 01:28:00 PM »

It's not THAT bad. Santa Ana Winds, Goin' On and When Girls Get Together are great. The rest is aural sewage. 2.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 01:34:34 PM »

When Girls Get Together is really mediocre. I think people overrate it because it's being compared to the sh*t (can we swear here?) it's surrounded by on this album. I think they were smart to leave it off of every album from Sunflower on, and should have left it that way. 

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Jason
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005, 01:35:43 PM »

Santa Ana Winds was done better in 1978 during the LA sessions. Goin' On is about the only good song on the album.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2005, 01:39:14 PM »

I really am out of touch, because Goin on is another one of those songs I really don't like. In fact, the ones I like best on the album are the first two and the fourth--and I know they're dreck. I just can't help it....

Jason
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2005, 01:41:12 PM »

I really am out of touch, because Goin on is another one of those songs I really don't like. In fact, the ones I like best on the album are the first two and the fourth--and I know they're dreck. I just can't help it....

Have you ever heard the alternate version of Oh Darlin' that's been going around? Has different lyrics and a Brian lead. If they put that on Keepin' the Summer Alive, it might have merited a 1.25 from me.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2005, 01:44:00 PM »

Have you ever heard the alternate version of Oh Darlin' that's been going around? Has different lyrics and a Brian lead. If they put that on Keepin' the Summer Alive, it might have merited a 1.25 from me.

No, but if you have, I am certainly pleased to discuss such things privately...various contact info can be found over there
<----------------------------

monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2005, 11:29:12 PM »

I shall STAND UP and defend this album since no one else wants to!
It's the first LP that actually sounds like an honest, whole-hearted, group effort since Sunflower. I'm not a big fan of the 70's LP's. In fact for the most part- except for the odd track or 2, (IMHO) they're garbage. This one unlike L.A. (Lame Album), 15 Big Ones, Love You, and to a lesser degree, MIU... are half-assed, half-baked, and uninspired. KTSA is PACKED with a last ditch effort to make some killer harmonies and a few rockin' tunes. Goin' On will always blow me away! If you dislike Goin' On- you cannot possibly be a Beach Boy fan. Keepin' The Summer Alive is one of the last truly fun BB tracks for me that evokes their dying 60's sound (minus the Budweiser guitar solo!) as well as Some Of Your Love. Sunshine is a great tune- LISTEN TO THE HARMONIES! The last minute of Endless Harmony is absolutely stunning (I like the first half too as I'm a sucker for a Fender Rhodes). Alan shines with Santa Ana Winds. I like Livin' With A Heartache because it's honest. That leaves Oh Darlin', School Days & When Girls Get Together to be the obvious bummer tracks. 7 out of 10 are good or great tracks! Ya can't say that ANY of the albums listed above! They don't even come close to an average of 70%. So... suck it Trebek!!

Jason- I'd LOVE to hear the alternate of Oh Darlin! PM me with a link to yousendit.com... BITTE!! Dankeschoen!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2005, 02:20:45 AM »

I can't believe you put down a masterpiece like Love You in favor of this lame LP. Wow.

monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2005, 09:05:49 AM »

15 BO & LY sound like demos that were never finished. I'll lay a big fat review of Love You down when I get home and give it another spin.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2005, 12:38:13 PM »

If you dislike Goin' On- you cannot possibly be a Beach Boy fan.

I can't? Damnit. Maybe someone will give me my money back for all those discs (including this piece of semi-trash) that I bought. And I sure will miss listening to them (although not really this album). Odd, since I'm not a fan.

You're almost right in some of your assessment, though, in this being an attempt to regain their form. This, just like that 70s joke, 15BO, is a desperate grasp at has-been musical styles. Sometimes it's pleasant, but people say the same thing about Kenny G. That doesn't make it good. There was no doubt that by this time, the Beach Boys were an absolute oldies act for people trying to hang on to or regain the past.

Coming to a state fair near you...

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2005, 12:39:31 PM »

Listen to Goin' again though, particularly the unreleased mix with the bizarre drum breaks. Total genius.

Jason
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2005, 12:43:35 PM »

There's an outtake from the Keepin' the Summer Alive sessions that's pretty good. It's unfinished, but the passion is undeniably there. Brian's cover of River Deep, Mountain High. Brian's a screamer on this one. Now if that was finished and put on the album, I'd give it a 3. It's that good of a track.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2005, 02:32:41 PM »

Just to be sure I'm being fair, I put in this album a couple of minutes ago. I'm on track three.

I'm really not sure I'm going to be able to get through both albums (as it's the twofer). How many times can you recycle the same collections of phrases and melodies? And that goshdarn honking sax at the beginning of "Some of Your Love?" What the ...?!

I need to wash my ears out with Velvet Underground or something...or at least Wild Honey.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2005, 02:45:31 PM »

You won't make it past Sunshine...and you shouldn't.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2005, 02:47:55 PM »

You won't make it past Sunshine...

I didn't. I got to it, and noticed in the liner notes that the basic track was recorded on my birthday. I will from now on lie about my birthday. What an atrocious album.

Yet I'm skipping to the 85 album, just to make sure I don't forget the rancid taste it too will leave in my mouth. And hopefully it will be a couple more years before I make this mistake again.

monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2005, 08:08:49 PM »

Alright. I'm gonna have to come in there and knock you wiseguys around like the Three Stooges.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2005, 08:10:53 PM »

Then I'll have to reciprocate, Love You-hater!  Grin

monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2005, 08:16:35 PM »

I want to appreciate it... I want to appreciate it... I want to appreciate it... I want to appreciate it... I really do. I've given it countless chances. Did the same to MIU and that one grew. LA & Love You, didn't however.  Kiss
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2005, 08:34:20 PM »

I want to appreciate it... I want to appreciate it... I want to appreciate it... I want to appreciate it... I really do. I've given it countless chances.

A quote worthy of many a later Beach Boys album...including the one about which this thread was intended. But Love You? Never!

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2005, 09:08:01 PM »

No, but if you have, I am certainly pleased to discuss such things privately...various contact info can be found over there
<----------------------------

It appears I misspoke the other day. I actually have heard it, and agree that it is preferable to the album version. Sadly, that wasn't anywhere near the worst track on the album--many more neeed fixing more than that one.

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2006, 08:57:30 PM »

I'm a fan of KTSA and I'm not ashamed to admit it! The title track is a good solid rocker -- should've been a single -- and "Goin' On' and "Santa Ana Winds" are classics. All imho, of course.

I still remember when the Beach Boys appeared on the *Fridays* TV show to promote KTSA. It was one of their best showings (imho). Carl rocked out on the title track, with the guys singing punchy harmonies behind him, for their first number. The second part was the best by far. They started with "Good Vibes" and segued into "Goin' On." Carl was truly on fire for GO, and the whole group came alive in those delicious harmonies.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2006, 09:26:05 PM »

And you don't like Love You? Wow.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx