gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680814 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 06:12:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Keepin' The Summer Alive
5 - 5 (3.7%)
4 - 13 (9.6%)
3 - 52 (38.2%)
2 - 44 (32.4%)
1 - 16 (11.8%)
0 - 6 (4.4%)
Total Voters: 120

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Keepin' The Summer Alive  (Read 127427 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2006, 02:07:37 PM »

Endless Harmony - This song make me understand why people don't like Bruce. This composition and his rancid vocal style here are ultimate examples of mellow LA smooth wretchedness. The lyrics are so completely phony and bullmerda I can't believe they sang them with a straight face. My lord. Again, this type of attitude, this "Look how great we are" is what turned people off to the BB's, the macho "America's Band" bullmerda. "And we.." this, "And we..." that. You know what guys, you're washed up. Break up now.

All hail Denny for steering clear of this monstrosity. I'd take cocaine too. In fact, I need some after trying to listen to this album.

Heh. Guess which is the only released track from the sessions that Dennis appears on.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2006, 04:35:10 PM »

I know.
 Cry

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2006, 05:30:43 PM »

I think "Oh darlin'" is a absolutely fucking great song ! Only the sh*t production ruins it (and that imo is also a problem ith the rest of the album)

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2006, 10:27:50 PM »

The alternate Oh Darlin is SO much better it's sad. As wonderful of a singer as Carl was, there were times where he'd sound so...I dunno...sleepy...on his vocals. This one, Full Sail, Going South, The Night was so young...I actually hate those leads.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2006, 11:45:30 AM »

I think Goin' On is a great song even if it isnt spectacular.  Some Of Your Love is harmless fun and I even kinda like Livin' With A Heartache for wahtever reason.  Other than that, complete sh*t!

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
Lorenschwartz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2006, 12:30:00 AM »

i once wrote a remake of "oh! darlin'", i titled it "oh, Jesus!"...Seriously!! 2001
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2006, 11:25:11 AM »

This album is probably worth a 2. The title track, Livin' With Heartache and Going On are good and Santa Ana Winds is decent.
However, Endless Harmony is one of my most hated Beach Boys songs. I enjoy most Bruce songs, but come on, a song about "stripe shirt freedom, brave new heroes"? This is the kind of self referential stuff that can make it embarassing to be a Beach Boys fan.

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
MBE
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2006, 04:32:50 AM »

It has grown on me but still kinda lame. Dennis should never have been barred from the sessions, but this is the last BB LP without synth overloads. KTSA is great hate Girls and Endless Harmony. Santa Ana is such a good song but Love's vocal on it is bad and the intro is funked up (but funny). I love the LA Light outake of it.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2006, 12:24:19 PM »

It has grown on me but still kinda lame.

You've got a gift for understatement. It is kinda lame like Pet Sounds is kinda good.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2006, 11:22:25 AM »

Another great album, school days, keepin the summer alive, goin on, sunshine, some of your love, ...

wow, so many good songs
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 11:25:36 AM by Beach Boy » Logged

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2006, 02:09:45 PM »

One of the privileges of touring with Alan Boyd was I got to listen to his I-Pod one day in the back of the van.  There were several KTSA outtakes on there that were superior to what was on the album.  "Surfer Suzie" is a kickass track but too retro-surfer goofy for my taste (more than "Some of Your Love").  "I Will Always Love You" was a Carl-sung power ballad that, IMHO, they really should have put on there, because it sounds like a huge CHR hit circa 1980.  It would have been out of sync on the album -- but that's why.  And Brian's version of "Smoky Places" was fun a listen, and a good vocal from him.  I did not think that was true of "Oh!  Darling"  Yes, Brian's vocal had more of an edge to it, but the problem is the song just plods; it's dull as dishwater.

My take on KTSA; title track, Santa Ana Winds are great (I disagree that the L.A. version is better though the processing on Al's vocals very nearly ruins the KTSA version); Goin' On and Endless Harmony are good; Sunshine, Oh!  Darling and WGGT are atrocious.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2006, 02:49:32 AM »

You must try and steal Alan Boyds i-pod next time you see him!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2006, 09:13:16 AM »

I thought the liners were pretty good, though.  Roll Eyes

Seriously, I've a great fondness for "Santa Ana Winds" (and the 1978 lyric clunks like a clunky thing, so there), the title track and "Sum of Yor Lurrrrrrrrrrrrrrve". Otherwise...

Great BB mystery #52b - why in the name of God did anyone think that "When Girls Get Together" was worthy of audition, never mind inclusion.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 09:17:14 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2006, 09:45:58 AM »

WGGT is a great track, a bit out of place, but still great nonetheless. Would've been much better back during the Sunflower era when it was originally worked on.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2006, 10:00:32 AM »

And it has godawful sleeve art!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2007, 01:57:32 PM »

Great BB mystery #52b - why in the name of God did anyone think that "When Girls Get Together" was worthy of audition, never mind inclusion.

Wow! I thought "When Girls Get Together" is one of the greatest songwriting collaborations between Mike and Brian. Its so uncharacteristic of both of them and yet at the same time there is a strange SMiLE vibe to it.

I can't get enough of this song, personally.  Grin
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2007, 03:03:23 AM »

I think that it's really sad that the last album to feature Dennis on it turned out to be this mess. The title track, and Goin' On are the best songs on the album, and they were both much better in concert. The version of Oh Darlin' with Brian singing is better than what was used on the album, but that's not saying much.  When Girls Get Together is the worst piece of sh*t to ever have been associated with The Beach Boys in any way, shape or form. Words can not describe my hatred of it.  LOL

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2007, 07:41:45 AM »

Technically I don't believe Dennis was really on it. I guess that would really make the last "real" BB album L.A.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Dennis was on KtSA, and if he was, his involvement was minimal.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2007, 12:13:18 PM »

Dennis played on two sessions for the album: one was the unreleased "Johnny B. Goode", the other was, believe it or not, "Endless Harmony".

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2007, 08:11:29 PM »

Does anybody know why Dennis didn't participate in/contribute to Keepin' The Summer Alive?
MBE
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2007, 10:00:30 PM »

He was kicked out of the group from June 79 to May 1980. I think a fan magazine said he played a couple of shows in 11-79 and he did show up for the one session at least. Steve Desper told me Dennis was in bad shape. That Dennis was even crying.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2007, 03:03:58 AM »

Was Dennis actually banned from being in the studio too, as well as in concerts?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2007, 03:19:47 AM »

It's pretty interesting that Dennis played in early 1980 with them onstage.

http://members.tripod.com/~fun_fun_fun/1-16-80.html

Late at night
I dream of you
I dream of you
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2007, 11:21:17 AM »

Actually, that says "Beach Boys probably present", which is just a guess.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 02, 2007, 03:48:59 PM »

I can't  believe it too but everything is possible.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 03:49:51 PM by Beach Boy » Logged

Late at night
I dream of you
I dream of you
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx