gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:39:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Keepin' The Summer Alive
5 - 5 (3.7%)
4 - 13 (9.6%)
3 - 52 (38.2%)
2 - 44 (32.4%)
1 - 16 (11.8%)
0 - 6 (4.4%)
Total Voters: 120

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Keepin' The Summer Alive  (Read 123224 times)
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #175 on: December 12, 2013, 11:31:43 AM »

I couldn't really care less about bad lyrics (I'd never even noticed that the lyrics in, say, Salt Lake City were bad until I saw people on here slating 'em), however I hate Endless Harmony for the simple reason that I think it's a gooey slice of Bruce schmaltz without the redeeming feature of a decent, or at least passable, tune as with some of his other works.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #176 on: January 10, 2014, 01:55:38 AM »

[...] however I hate Endless Harmony for the simple reason that I think it's a gooey slice of Bruce schmaltz without the redeeming feature of a decent, or at least passable, tune as with some of his other works.
I wonder why you then called yourself Disney Boy as it's an obvious play of "Disney Girls". I can see why you chose 1985 since it's a year of your favorite 80s BBs album.

No, it's the year I was born. And it's just a jokey name. Do you drive a Range Rover?
bluesno1fann
« Reply #177 on: January 10, 2014, 02:39:58 AM »

[...] however I hate Endless Harmony for the simple reason that I think it's a gooey slice of Bruce schmaltz without the redeeming feature of a decent, or at least passable, tune as with some of his other works.
I wonder why you then called yourself Disney Boy as it's an obvious play of "Disney Girls". I can see why you chose 1985 since it's a year of your favorite 80s BBs album.

No, it's the year I was born. And it's just a jokey name. Do you drive a Range Rover?

LOL LOL LOL
Touché!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #178 on: January 10, 2014, 03:26:54 AM »

Respectively: really? I recall you saying you were born exactly the day John Lennon was killed, i.e. 1980-12-08. At the time - no, but at least Range Rover is my favorite car model, so my choice is logical. Nevertheless, I get your "inside joke" username.

If I did say that I don't know what the f*** I was talking about...(perhaps drunk)Huh 8th Sept '85.

I like cheese and piccalilli sandwiches but I didn't call myself CheeseAndPiccalilliSandwich47. 
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #179 on: January 10, 2014, 03:58:48 AM »

An actual quote of yours from another topic:

Reminds me of  the 8th of December 1980. Every radio station I tuned to seemed to be playing a Imagine. I walked past a TV shop, and every TV had a picture of John Lennon on it.

Then, when I got home, I found out he'd been shot.

Spooky.

Ooh, you just mentioned 8th December 1980 and that's the day I was born - it must MEAN SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You were definitely somewhere in the Twilight Zone when you were mistyping your birthdate (John Lennon murder, no less!). CheeseAndPiccalilliSandwich47 would be quite a username, albeit too long.

I think I was probably being sarcastic and poking fun at people looking for meaning in coincidences.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #180 on: January 10, 2014, 05:33:17 AM »

I think I was probably being sarcastic and poking fun at people looking for meaning in coincidences.
If you click on that quote & read further what you wrote, you'll see it's not a case at all. Just read your dialog with bgas, plane is booked on Sept. etc.

No actually that seems to be exactly the case - i made a joke, then got distracted re booking a flight.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 10, 2014, 08:25:06 PM »

I couldn't really care less about bad lyrics (I'd never even noticed that the lyrics in, say, Salt Lake City were bad until I saw people on here slating 'em), however I hate Endless Harmony for the simple reason that I think it's a gooey slice of Bruce schmaltz without the redeeming feature of a decent, or at least passable, tune as with some of his other works.
The lyrics to Salt Lake City are bad?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 10, 2014, 10:32:59 PM »

Im in the minority here.. I think the record is pretty good and I like the cover also.. BB frozen in time in a bubble I like that .. And its true the basic fan has kept them that way and doesn't like them to stray from surf + turf..  A couple of songs are a bit to long.. OD + LWAH in particular.. WGGT is LAME to me the only real clinker.. But overall its a good record to me.. KTSA rocks !  I find the chord progression + arraignment  + vocals to EH very inventive.. 4/5  Listening
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #183 on: January 11, 2014, 02:28:29 AM »

The lyrics to Salt Lake City are bad?

Apparently so.
StillSurfin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 29, 2014, 02:01:39 PM »

"Goin On" reminds me abit of a Chicago track for some reason & IMO its the best songs on KTSA. 
TonyACT
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 11, 2014, 11:01:53 PM »

I gave it a 2 - around 2.5 for me.

It's an odd album, and kind of sad as the last full band effort - it came across to me as a bunch of off-cuts from all of their 1970s albums (perhaps excepting Love You).  School Day and Sunshine could have been on 15 Big Ones, Santa Ana Winds could have been part of the California Saga on Holland, Endless Harmony is like a low-rent Surf's Up, and on it goes.

So not awful, but finally sounding like a band running out of steam.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 14, 2014, 05:55:05 PM »

I gave it a 2 - around 2.5 for me.

It's an odd album, and kind of sad as the last full band effort - it came across to me as a bunch of off-cuts from all of their 1970s albums (perhaps excepting Love You).  School Day and Sunshine could have been on 15 Big Ones, Santa Ana Winds could have been part of the California Saga on Holland, Endless Harmony is like a low-rent Surf's Up, and on it goes.

So not awful, but finally sounding like a band running out of steam.

True, but had they borrowed some BAMBU tracks (as with L.A) and used a few of the unfinished older tunes being sifted through ("Been Way too Long", "San Miguel" or "California Feeling") while losing the likes of "Some of Your Love", "Sunshine" and "School Day", a solid album might have resulted.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 05:57:23 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
NickandthePassions
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 01, 2014, 09:18:33 PM »

I'm not a fan of KTSA, Still Cruisin', or 1985 Album, that sad...I still enjoy listening to them.

Nothing from the Beach Boys is necessarily bad.  KTSA is still better than most of the crap released today, and better than Mike Love's solo albums. 

I hated KTSA and 1985 when I first listened to them, it's super hard on the ears for a seasoned Beach Boys fan that has been exposed to the many masterpieces, but it's not all that bad after you listen to it a few times.  I'm starting to notice the good aspects. Granted, I'll never see the greatness in School Days or Some of Your Love, but there is still some genuinely good songs on the album worth listening to the album to.

Beach Boys 1985 seems like a much better album than KTSA, I sort of like the retro feel.  Haven't heard Still Crusin' enough to develop a like for it.

"Living a dream
Don't wanna sleep
Might miss something"
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 21, 2014, 05:17:25 PM »

Just dug out Livin' With A Heartache for the sheer hell of it. It's pretty nice actually. Maybe it's just because I'm on a big unrequited love trip.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 21, 2014, 05:24:11 PM »

KTSA is one of my fave BB album covers.

I don't care if it's been two years, you take that back RIGHT NOW.  LOL
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 21, 2014, 06:32:38 PM »

One of my favorites too. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 22, 2014, 02:53:27 PM »

One of my favorites too. Wink

Mine too:

1. Keepin' The Summer Alive  (4/5)
2. Oh Darlin'  (4/5)
3. Some Of Your Love  (4/5)
4. Livin' With A Heartache  (4/5)
5. School Day (Ring! Ring! Goes The Bell)  (2/5)
6. Goin' On (5/5)
7. Sunshine  (3/5)
8. When Girls Get Together  (1/5)
9. Santa Ana Winds  (4/5)
10. Endless Harmony  (4/5)

Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 26, 2014, 11:53:51 AM »

<<Great BB mystery #52b - why in the name of God did anyone think that "When Girls Get Together" was worthy of audition, never mind inclusion.>>

Was re-reading this thread and noticed this question from AGD.   Am now in the rare position of having an answer to a question for Andrew, instead of the other way around.   Just luck of the draw.  I had a conversation with Bruce Johnston about this album and this song back in May of 1982, in a Holiday Inn Bar in Paducah, KY.  After Bruce borrowed all the quarters I had (5) to repeatedly play Brass In Pocket by the Pretenders on the Juke Box, he fessed up.  Seems he knew the contents of the vault fairly well at that time and had been pulling tracks for consideration.  When he heard the tympany sound it blew him away.  He listened over and over again, then, in his words, insisted it be on the album.  He said the other guys probably thought he was crazy but he was obsessed with the song.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 26, 2014, 01:28:27 PM »

The KTSA album cover might have been inspired by ABBA's 1976 Arrival cover:

The difference is Arrival is a great album with two number one songs - Dancing Queen and Knowing Me, Knowing You - and other super songs like When I Kissed the Teacher and Money, Money, Money.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 01:30:38 PM by The Legendary OMG! Rob! » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
KDS
« Reply #194 on: April 20, 2015, 09:25:35 AM »

The cover of this BB album would be perfect for a compilation.  Instead, it pretty accurately shows the mindset of the group (that somewhat still exists with the current version 35 years later). 

It's a pity that this is the last BB album to feature Brian, Mike, Carl, Al, Dennis (although only a cameo), and Bruce.  IMO, the worst BB album to date, and I rate it a two. 

Even Randy Bachman can't salvage the title track.  The cover of Ring Ring (School Days) sounds like a lifeless 15 Big Ones outtake. 

For me, the best is saved for last with Santa Ann Winds.  Then, there's Bruce's Endless Harmony.  When Carl kicks in with "and we sang God Bless America..." the song springs to life.  But, just as the great vocal harmonies kick in, the track, and the album, comes to an abrupt end.  A fitting unsatisfying end to an unsatisfying listening experience.  Not a good way to start the 1980s. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 16, 2015, 11:49:19 AM »

Just dug out Livin' With A Heartache for the sheer hell of it. It's pretty nice actually. Maybe it's just because I'm on a big unrequited love trip.
I can listen to that song endlessly.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 21, 2015, 01:54:39 PM »

The Stephen Gaines book "Heroes and Villains" doesn't talk much about this album.  But in it he says that Brian Wilson was back and charged up to make it -- like he hadn't been in years -- and he was ready to get to work and record.  But it didn't last long.  3 days.  And after that, he was done with it.

He also mentions that something like 3 DOZEN tracks were recorded for this album.  Hello!  What are those tracks?  I want a box set.  I do.  I want every morsel from this era -- it'll never happen, but I want it.

So, Keepin' The Summer Alive the album.  Well.  In some ways it's a return to the energized "Brian is back" 76/77 period -- and an improvement on the impoverished spirits of the L.A. Light Album.  But it is also the full-blown bottoming out of once GREAT band.  Captured on tape, fumbling around in a state of disarray, searching half-heartedly for some sort of relevance.  And in a way, it is also the LAST real Beach Boys album.  So take it for what it is.

In this world, we often get what we get, and nothing else.  So I'm forced to love it for several reasons.  1.  Denny died 3 years later -- and would never again appear on a Beach Boys album, even though he was largely absent here.  2.  Brian showed up.  3.  Carl sings some leads like the band still mattered to the world (they soon wouldn't).  4.  There's a few nice hooks and melodies scattered throughout.  5.  80s Synth cheeze hadn't showed up yet.  6.  The Beach Boys had a renewed, muscular sound during the late 70s/early 80s, and they use it.  7.  There's only one Bruce moment.  8.  It's from 1980... and not 1990.  9.  I'm running out of ideas...  10.  It's got some fun and some genius.

Ok... here we go!!!  

1.  Keepin' The Summer Alive
I don't like this song.  But I like the spirit of it.  I know it plays to the stereotypes of the Beach Boys image -- but it was 1980 and there needed to be a fun, bouncy Beach Boys album and song.  So I give them a pass.  In a perfect world, with a contributing Brian Wilson, stuff like this wouldn't have made it through the door.  

It would have also been better to have had Denny share some of the lead.  Maybe some Al?  Mike on the bridge?  "Lay down... in sun..."  As it stands, it winds up feeling like one of Carl Wilson's "rocker" solo attempts, which I don't care much for.  Maybe with a different production/performance/etc there's something to be salvaged here.  But the song's message of "we're just trying to keep the summer alive" -- is just too painfully auto-biographical of their current situation.

I know it's "ice cream weather" and they're "getting the band back together" but they shouldn't need to tell us that.  It would have been better to just leave the notion of metaphors aside, and be totally honest.  "We're struggling along.  But Brian is here.  He's smokin' a bong.  And he's drinkin' a beer.  Wee're just trying to keep the summer alive!!"

Better, right?  I think so.

2.  Oh Darlin'
Not bad... not in any way great, but it has some of the album's nicer moments on it.  Again, another Carl lead, which is fine.  But it's starting to feel like a Carl Wilson solo album.  Where's Al?  I would have put Mike on the "it's like the missing piece of the puzzle has appeared" line -- to break it up and provide some levity and dryness to the wet, syrupy proceedings.  And I would have had Brian sing the line -- "and since you came into my life my love, perfection has never been so near..."  Brian's damaged voice would have given the "perfection" line some much needed depth, purpose and irony.

The melody is pretty and the song comes off as sincere -- which is probably one of the reasons Carl sings it.  He could carry the sincerity.  Anyway.  The closing tag is sweet.  But I don't know if I completely endorse the "God Only Knows" reference -- it's a bit too obvious in this album's "stereotype" setting as an attempt to remind fans of their worth.  But I'll give it a pass.  I'll be giving a lot of things a pass on this album...

3.  Some Of Your Love
Ok, this is unmistakably the Beach Boys right here.  It also gets stuck in your head.  "Some, some, some of your love."  There's almost a great summer Beach Boys song here -- yet it falls short of being that classic track that it wants to be -- it's just too mundane and doesn't rise above.  It feels like it could have been more and better.  But isn't.  And is somewhat forgotten, assuming it doesn't get stuck in your head, once the next track starts.

But it's one of the tracks that really feels like it belongs on this album.  It feels like a Beach Boys song that would appear on an album, circa 1980, about keeping the summer alive.  Doesn't it?  So in its own way, it's the perfect song for this album, and could have made a perfect opener to the album.  But since the record already has a pretty solid and sensible opener -- it probably should have been the second song on the album.

4.  Livin' With A Heartache
"You left me alone... livin' with a hard on."  Am I right?  

Ok, this really is a Carl Wilson solo album... I knew it.  At the last minute, they slapped a new "Beach Boy" cover on it.  They thought we wouldn't notice -- but nothing gets by us.  That reminds me, where are those 3 dozen tracks recorded for this album?

Anyway... I don't mind this song.  It's pleasant enough.  And I do find myself singing along (with aforementioned lyrical substitutions, of course).  I don't mind it.  But really.  I don't know.  It's not the Beach Boys.  And we know it.

5.  School Days
You know what?  Yes.  If they're truly trying to keep the "summer alive" then fck'ya'll.  This song is good.  I mean it's not "good" in a classical sense of the meaning of the word "good."  But, for the Beach Boys 1980 Summer Bummer album -- fck yeah it is.  Bring it!!!!!

It's a cover.  It's Al Jardine and another fcking cover for a group that doesn't need to do fcking covers.  I get it.  And I'm with you.  But I'm going to cite the case of So Versus What -- and rule that this cover track actually delivers on what it promises to do.

It's one of the better covers they've done anyway.  Listen to it by itself.  It does work.  It does rock.  The arrangement all works.  It's 1980 and the Beach Boys manage eek out an album -- and this certainly fits.  They really are trying to keep the summer alive after all.  The track stays.

6.  Goin' On
WOAH!!!  Where's this been?  FCKING Genius.  This is the sh-t we wait around to catch a fleeting glimpse of.  BAM!  There it is!!  Quick, take a picture!!! There it is!! Holy sht!!!  A shooting star -- a comet!!

This gives me chills the whole time it's on.  I'm awestruck.  Tears would be streaming down my face right now, if I didn't have all that botox surgery.  But this is the stuff that just proves Beach Boy fans AREN'T crazy to be wading through albums with songs about "living with hard ons" looking for gold -- and talking about all this genius stuff like a bunch of religious fanatics.  I mean, there's diamonds shooting out of my speakers right now.  You gotta see this sh-t.  It's freaky good.

7.  Sunshine
Most anything after Goin' On from this "period" of the Beach Boys is going to shrivel.  But this buoyant little number stays afloat.  It's a transition song.  It doesn't call attention to itself, other than being too "tropical."  But it allows us to cool out for a moment until the next brilliant moment.

8.  When Girls Get Together
Wow.  What is this? Another moment of brilliance?  Yes it is.  Yes it is!  By the way -- I see a lot of people HATE this song, but they're mentally unstable people, I've conferred.  And they likely have no women in their lives.  Too much?  Sorry... I take it back.

I did not know this song's origins when I heard it -- and fell in love with it.  But it's gorgeous.  And is another moment that makes you realize just how paltry, uninspired, mundane and pedestrian most songs are -- including some of the songs on this album.

I'm sort of haunted by this song.  At least while it's playing.  I'm like, lost in it.  Floating, heavenly.  Above and around some lady sitting in a park.  I'm in a bubble, thoughts drifting.  Thinking about women, and their ways.  It's so Brian Wilson and glad it was saved for a later-period album.  It fits his "gone" personality better during this period than it did 1970 when he wasn't yet "all gone."  Anyway, I just love this song.  

9.  Santa Anna Winds
Gotta admit, when this song starts, it's like the party's over.  Which is true -- "Oh no," I think, "Al's gonna recite some poetry about Eagle sex again."  But it quickly becomes a nice little Californian sunny day.  It's the best song Al (and the Boys) have done of this sort.  The folk thing.  The Northern California thing.  I can see why people like this one -- the production is spot on.  The acoustic guitars are splendid -- may I say, some of the best acoustic guitars in a Beach Boy song.  The melody reminds me of something pleasant.  It's actually a cool little tune.  I suppose it sort of fits with keeping the summer alive, maybe... as a closer of sorts?  It's nice.  It's a different flavor.

10.  Endless Harmony
Ok, now the party's over.

This song has all the hallmarks of a truly awful experience.  It's as if, all of the sudden the lights just went out... completely unannounced.  And someone, who likely wasn't invited, starts singing a sappy ballad he wrote about the prom king and queen (who are just as shocked as everyone else) -- and right in the middle of what was, up until that point, a fun little party.   Did someone just die?  Did the album die?  Yes it did.  This is the album's funeral.

Ironically it has the best vocal moment on it -- with the ending "woooo-oooo-ooo-ooooooooooo."  But it's not worth sitting through the song to get to it.  There is nothing redeeming about this song, it's production, arrangement and sentiment to warrant it's inclusion on a real Beach Boys album.  It should be a forgotten moment from some clumsy "Salute to the Beach Boys" TV special that would have aired in the early 80s, and likely cut short by something better like a football game.

Awkward.

Ok, there you have it.

Overall, this is a clumsy album.  It shouldn't have been released -- not in this configuration.  A bunch of professionals with the talent they had, should not have been releasing such mediocre material.  They should have tried a little more.  And I'm sure they did -- which only highlights the extent of their problems during this period.  It's a patched together box of leftovers and doesn't include a lot of good songs.

But it's likable -- if you listen to it a enough times.  But you have to really approach it with an open mind and able to enjoy things for what they are.  I really enjoy this period of the band for some reason and want the band to release anything and everything they have from this period.  I believe their albums become massive compromises and with a more sympathetic person in charge at the time (like me) -- a far better album could have been compiled.

I do like Keepin' The Summer Alive a lot.  But it's rough ride.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 06:30:21 PM by Bean Bag » Logged

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 22, 2015, 07:55:07 AM »

To this day, still the worst Beach Boys album of all time. It barely gets a 1 for Goin' On.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 22, 2015, 08:04:01 AM »

Keeping TRBB alive. Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 22, 2015, 08:25:00 AM »

To this day, still the worst Beach Boys album of all time. It barely gets a 1 for Goin' On.

I'd still rank it over
Surfin' Safari
15 Big Ones
Love You
BB 85 (maybe)
SIP
Stars & Stripes
TWGMTR.

To me it's the Beach Boys identity crisis album.

1. Keepin' The Summer Alive  (4/5)
2. Oh Darlin'  (4/5)
3. Some Of Your Love  (3/5)
4. Livin' With A Heartache  (3/5)
5. School Day (Ring! Ring! Goes The Bell)  (1/5)
6. Goin' On (5/5)
7. Sunshine  (2/5)
8. When Girls Get Together  (0/5)
9. Santa Ana Winds  (5/5)
10. Endless Harmony  (3/5)

3 stars because what's good is very good and with expectations lowered, much of it is flawed but still enjoyable.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 08:28:50 AM by Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx