gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:09:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Keepin' The Summer Alive
5 - 5 (3.7%)
4 - 13 (9.6%)
3 - 52 (38.2%)
2 - 44 (32.4%)
1 - 16 (11.8%)
0 - 6 (4.4%)
Total Voters: 120

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Keepin' The Summer Alive  (Read 123359 times)
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2006, 09:51:27 PM »

I'm a fan of KTSA and I'm not ashamed to admit it!
That's right. Preach on E!

And you don't like Love You? Wow.
That is strange, ain't it. There's only 2 of us who like KTSA better than Love You. We're throwing a KTSA summit party next Friday. You're all invited, but I'm guessing we'll be the only 2 there.  Wink
More beer for me!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2006, 08:19:37 AM »

That is strange, ain't it. There's only 2 of us who like KTSA better than Love You. We're throwing a KTSA summit party next Friday. You're all invited, but I'm guessing we'll be the only 2 there.  Wink
More beer for me!

If I could either drink with friends to the soothing/vomit-inducing, cover-band sounds of KTSA, or drink alone to good music, I'd choose the latter every time. Have a good time, though.

Wink

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2006, 10:11:33 PM »

I'm listening to this album now, haven't gotten past track three cause I'm diggin that bari sax in the beginning of Some Of Your Love (due to the fact that I play the bari sax but anyhow...) Some reason the song gives off a "Roller Skatin' Child" feel, but I dig it a lot. I also like that rockin' piano twoards the end there. "Livin' With A Heartache" has a great lead from Carl, another good tune Imo. The title track is much better on the Knewborth live cd, the studio version isn't that great. I may go on and listen and review the album tomorrow, but this is as far as I've gotten.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2006, 10:32:33 PM »

Some Of Your Love (due to the fact that I play the bari sax but anyhow...)

Ever hear the original version of that, "Mike Come Back To L.A."? It's pretty funny.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2006, 12:00:19 AM »

Alright someone here must whip me up an alternate KTSA. I'm not familiar with any outtakes from that era except the Get The Boot stuff- which I've lost- fer shits sake. ARGH!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2006, 12:19:36 AM »

The alternate Goin' On is delicious!

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2006, 07:53:50 AM »

I wonder if those performances on the Fridays show (with Michael Richards?)
are included on any of those DVD's of TV appearances that are available in publications such as Goldmine?
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2006, 09:02:06 AM »

Off Topic- but relevant to Donald's post.
I'd love to see all of Fridays come out as a multiple DVD set! I loved that show. 'Nuff said.
I guess I missed the BB's appearance. Drat.
APPLEI
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2006, 10:29:22 AM »

the album cover is the best part of this album!
if the music were as good as the album cover we would be talking classic!
analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long...

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2006, 01:19:00 PM »

I've always said that KTSA has, arguably, some of the best cover art of any Beach Boys album.

I'm going to side with Monkey Knutz and the others who actually LIKE this album.  I definitely like it.  Bruce Johnston did a great job producing it overall, though I'm not a big fan of the drums.  They just sound too slick.  But I can put that behind me.  I'm rating this album based on musical merit and how the album holds together as a whole.

Keepin' the Summer Alive is a fun song with nice guitar and piano and excellent lyrics.  Definitely one of Carl's last great songs.

Oh Darlin' is a nice song, but it just doesn't do anything for me.

Some of Your Love kicks more ass than Mr. T after an 8-ball.  That fartin' baritone sax at the beginning, those harmonies.....How can anyone be a fan of 1960s Beach Boys and not love this song?!

Livin' With a Heartache is killer.  The vocals are very heartfelt and it sounds like a typical piece of pop music from 1980.  Nothing wrong with that.

School Days, in my opinion, beats the bejesus out of any cover on 15 Big Ones.  To me, it's one of the few covers that the Boys did in their later years that stands the test of time and is still listenable today.  The harmonies are cool and the arrangment is great.

Goin' On is a Beach Boys classic.  'Nuff said.

Sunshine is interesting.  When I listen to it, I'm like "Yeah this is cool." But at the same time I'm asking myself "Is this going somewhere?"

When Girls Get Together is one that had to grow on me.  I like it now, but I still think the Italian arrangement makes it sound a little cheesy.

Santa Ana Winds is great.  Al gives a great vocal and the lyrics aren't terrible.  I really like the music too, though I bet it'd sound better without the strings.

Endless Harmony is yet another piece of proof that every song Bruce Johnston wrote for the Beach Boys is a winner.  The last minute is great but Bruce's two verses in the first half of the song are awesome.  Musically there's not much to it so the only thing you can really do is enjoy the vocals.

I'm going to give this one a 3.5, which means I have to round up to a 4.  I contend that this album is hated because so many Beach Boys fans are from the 60s and 70s and by the time the 80s came, they were all in their "Modern pop music is crap" phase that we all get into, and thus, when the Boys released an album that sounded like it was recorded and written in the year it was released, the majority of fans hated it because "modern pop music is crap".  Let's face it folks, this album sounds exactly like it came from 1980.  The music fits the time.  If that's not your thing, that's cool, but I can't stand to see a good album get slammed against the wall as much as this one does.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 05:14:22 PM by analogdemon » Logged

I once had a dream so I packed up and split for the city.  I soon found out that my lonely life wasn't so pretty.
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2006, 04:37:59 PM »

Right the f*** on Demon! Tell it like it T-I-Z!
The drums are a result of overmicing and spreading them out over probably close to 1 dozen tracks, being too predominant in the mix, and recording them seperately. If the drums &  When Girls Get Together are the only issues that we collectively have- then, what's not to like? By the way... you're invited to the KTSA party that Emdeeh and I are throwing.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2006, 05:14:43 PM »

Keepin' The Summer Alive - Horrible attempt at AOR rock, a Carl solo track really, with Randy Bachman in lame BTO mode. Lame and retrogressive concept, limp execution.

Oh Darlin' - Pleasant Wilson-Love tune on the MIU level, not as good as She's Got Rhythm, not as bad as Pitter Patter. Leaves your head the second it's over.

Some Of Your Love - OK Wilson-Love mover, I'd say on a 15 Big Ones level. Comparable to It's OK, not as good. The hook is catchy, in a TV jingle kind of way.

Livin' With A Heartache - Great, just what we needed, a Carl country-rock song that makes The Eagles sound like Sabbath. The worst track on the album, because it's not even fun to laugh at.

School Days - Do me a favor, Al. LAY OFF THE FODA OLDIES! It was terrible on 15 BO, even worse on MIU, and this time it's worthy of nothing less than firing squad.

Goin' On - The one song here worthy of classic status. Beautiful, bittersweet melody, nice words, great production, A worthy successor to the righteous Good Timin'. If we could have had an entire LP like this, a great album this would be.

Sunshine - Words can't express how nasty this piece of white-reggae crap is. I can't even think about it. Too depressing.

When Girls Get Together - Great outtake from the Sunflower period dusted off here. One of Brian's most eccentric and atmospheric works, given a typically creepy spin by Mike. All hail the Marxophone and all hail Steve Desper.

Santa Ana Winds - OK, Al, for this one you get a reprieve from the Governor. Nice folk-pop song, nice production, nice backing-vocal arrangement, but WHY the spoken intro. That almost ruins the song completely.

Endless Harmony - This song make me understand why people don't like Bruce. This composition and his rancid vocal style here are ultimate examples of mellow LA smooth wretchedness. The lyrics are so completely phony and bullmerda I can't believe they sang them with a straight face. My lord. Again, this type of attitude, this "Look how great we are" is what turned people off to the BB's, the macho "America's Band" bullmerda. "And we.." this, "And we..." that. You know what guys, you're washed up. Break up now.

All hail Denny for steering clear of this monstrosity. I'd take cocaine too. In fact, I need some after trying to listen to this album.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2006, 05:20:15 PM »

Goin' On - The one song here worthy of classic status. Beautiful, bittersweet melody, nice words, great production, A worthy successor to the righteous Good Timin'. If we could have had an entire LP like this, a great album this would be.

I think that was song that, because I don't much like it, got me labeled as not a Beach Boys fan.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2006, 05:22:10 PM »

Well, it's a great song, man! But you're a BB fan. Hell, I hate Funky Pretty, All This Is That and Then I Kissed Her!

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2006, 05:25:30 PM »

And you're not a BB fan!

Actually, I don't really love any of those songs. I'm OK with the first two.

monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2006, 08:45:14 PM »

Man Ian, I wasn't even that rough on Love You.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2006, 08:58:30 PM »

At least I didn't review MIU!

monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2006, 07:01:04 AM »

I'd like to see that one!
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2006, 08:03:00 AM »

I'm with you, MK. I like "KSA."

This:

Keepin' The Summer Alive - Horrible attempt at AOR rock, a Carl solo track really, with Randy Bachman in lame BTO mode. Lame and retrogressive concept, limp execution.

Could not be more wrong. One of my top 10 favorite BBs rockers -- worth it for Mike's EXQUISITE bass singing, the highlight of the song, but the arrangement on the chorus slays in general and the verse melody gets stuck in my head, and Carl's SINGING -- YEAH!

I like almost the whole album. Almost.
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2006, 08:11:49 AM »

I agree! It's great to hear Carl belt out a vocal!! Fine harmony album!
Hey Rake... I'm curious as to what you don't like about the platter.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 08:18:45 AM by monkee knutz » Logged
analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long...

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2006, 09:46:27 AM »

Agreed.  Carl does a great vocal on this song.  As a matter of fact, I like a lot of the vocals he did on KTSA, 85, Still Cruisin, and Summer in Paradise.

I once had a dream so I packed up and split for the city.  I soon found out that my lonely life wasn't so pretty.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2006, 01:32:17 PM »

I almost hate to admit it, but I have to agree with that. Through all the dreck, Carl did sing beautifully.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2006, 02:57:40 PM »

Both you guys, PLEASE fix your avatars!

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2006, 03:01:14 PM »

Both you guys, PLEASE fix your avatars!

I tried to, but I'm a fvcking idiot. Shockingly.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2006, 03:03:27 PM »

PM me the avatar you want to use.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx