gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 09:48:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Keepin' The Summer Alive
5 - 5 (3.7%)
4 - 13 (9.6%)
3 - 52 (38.2%)
2 - 44 (32.4%)
1 - 16 (11.8%)
0 - 6 (4.4%)
Total Voters: 120

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Keepin' The Summer Alive  (Read 127051 times)
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: February 08, 2013, 06:31:20 PM »

What is wrong with the sound on this album?! It's most noticeable on Oh Darlin' (especially on the backups) and Endless Harmony, but there's this annoying effect on the vocals and much of the instrumentation, and it's annoying. I can't think of the proper name of it right now, but it's horrible and kills much of the album for me.

I always thought Carl's lead on Oh Darlin' sounded like it was out of phase, but I'm not sure it is.  I can't imagine they would let something like that slip by, so I'm guessing it's just a really weird mixing choice.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 08, 2013, 06:37:17 PM »

I don't think there's a problem with the sound, but it has a 'sheen' that many early 80s records have. I actually kind of like it, because it's the pre-cursor to the digital sound later in the decade, but with more of an organic feel than you'd get if the record was made a couple years later.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: February 08, 2013, 08:04:52 PM »

It's funny but to me it sounds less organic. The backing vocals lost all character and in many cases IMHO don't really sound like the Beach Boys.

The mix on the entire album is terrible with school days being the worst offender as far as backup vocals go.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 08, 2013, 08:35:01 PM »

The mix on the entire album is terrible with school days being the worst offender as far as backup vocals go.

School Days is the worst offender as far as everything goes.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 11, 2013, 09:33:45 AM »

Murky tosh. Mike and Brian barely sound alive on When Girls Get Together. I might have given the album a bit more credit if it actually sounded anything like the Beach Boys.
The only decent song is Goin' On, and Endless Harmony is tolerable. Everything else I've already forgotten.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 22, 2013, 06:59:10 PM »

What is wrong with the sound on this album?! It's most noticeable on Oh Darlin' (especially on the backups) and Endless Harmony, but there's this annoying effect on the vocals and much of the instrumentation, and it's annoying. I can't think of the proper name of it right now, but it's horrible and kills much of the album for me.

I always thought Carl's lead on Oh Darlin' sounded like it was out of phase, but I'm not sure it is.  I can't imagine they would let something like that slip by, so I'm guessing it's just a really weird mixing choice.
It sounds like it's about 90 degrees out of phase. It's a trick Steve Desper used a lot.

A discipline daddy.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 24, 2013, 10:56:21 AM »

Is Sunshine really all that bad? It's not good, but it's surely not the worst song on the album. It's got a catchy riff, right?

Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 13, 2013, 09:56:05 PM »

Sunshine has an infectious melody. It could have been a standout if the production didn't suck as bad as it does.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 14, 2013, 12:13:23 AM »

Murky tosh. Mike and Brian barely sound alive on When Girls Get Together. I might have given the album a bit more credit if it actually sounded anything like the Beach Boys.
The only decent song is Goin' On, and Endless Harmony is tolerable. Everything else I've already forgotten.

I really think Bruce's songs would have a better shot in gay musicals or plays than on Beach Boys albums. Fits the genre better.

"Just West Coast booooooooooys!"

bluesno1fann
« Reply #159 on: September 11, 2013, 07:27:16 PM »

Recently got the album on vinyl and listened to the whole album. It sucks. The title track is great, but could have been better had it been harder. Most of the songs I find forgettable. Endless Harmony was pretty good, but the ending is yet another example of great music, terrible lyrics. Not an enjoyable album.
1 out of 5
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 10:31:35 PM by bluesno1fann » Logged
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 16, 2013, 12:43:14 AM »

Hey this is not that bad of an album. Not highly artistic or classic in any way, but it's fun to listen.
First side is better than the second, because it doesn't have any ultimate crap songs.

Keepin' The Summer Alive 4/5
Why wasn't this a single release!? Okay lyrics are a bit silly but so what, pretty much every Beach boys song or Beach boys single has a bit silly lyrics.
That's one of the reasons they are so good.

Oh Darlin' 3/5
I like it.

Some Of Your Love 3/5
Like it, sounds pretty modern in some weird way actually.

Livin' With A Heartache 3/5
Like this too. Country is great and Beach boys is great, so what's not to like.

School Days 2/5
Lousy cover, why did they put this here? End the A-side with Sunshine and that would've been pretty perfect run of fun songs.
I skip this pretty much always.

Goin' On 4/5
Awesome! Almost a classic. Or maybe it is.

Sunshine 4/5
Same here as with Goin' On. I dig every part of this.

When Girls Get Together 2/5
Super bad song! Why was this ever released, don't understand. One of the worst Beach boys songs ever. Extremely boring and irritating.
Can't understand why so many people like this.

Santa Ana Winds 3/5
Nice little song, I like Al's voice, as always.

Endless Harmony 1/5
Ultimate crap! What were they thinking really? Luckily it's the last song of the album so it's easy to skip. Just take the record away
after Santa Ana Winds. Or actually after Sunshine if you wanna end on a high note.

So for the album 3/5. Could've been so much better, but it's still listenable except those couple songs. That's not so bad at all.
The lack of Dennis is maybe the biggest reason why this album fails in so many places. They should've replaced School days, When girls get together and
Endless Harmony with Goin' to the beach and whatever else they had in their pockets that time... Pretty much anything is better than those three songs.
The Foot Fetish Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 16, 2013, 03:51:45 PM »

Super bad song! Why was this ever released, don't understand. One of the worst Beach boys songs ever. Extremely boring and irritating.

I don't 'get it', either. I think so many people like it because it's from the Sunflower period (and I LOVE Sunflower) but, I swear, I think this song would make "Our Team" come off like "Til I Die".

Nothin' but a foot fetish thang! (Thank you, Brittany Michelle)
zachrwolfe
« Reply #162 on: October 16, 2013, 06:44:47 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:42:10 PM by zatch » Logged
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 22, 2013, 12:30:52 PM »

I've been listening to Goin' To The Beach lately, and I completely understand why people dislike it. It was kinda misplaced on MIC and yeah that's not the kinda song that fans have been waiting to hear for 30 years and so on... BUT I like it, it's underrated and I think that if it would've been completed and released on Keepin' The Summer Alive and released as the lead single, it would've been a big hit. I especielly love the drumming in it. Really makes you want to move!
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 22, 2013, 12:34:50 PM »

GTTB is better than almost everything on this album.

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #165 on: December 08, 2013, 03:12:26 AM »

I don't 'get it', either. I think so many people like it because it's from the Sunflower period (and I LOVE Sunflower) but, I swear, I think this song would make "Our Team" come off like "Til I Die".

I think you've hit the nail on the head there re WGGT. I think the Sunflower link blinds people to the fact that the song is actually completely and utterly appalling. Of all the songs to salvage... (Although what's with the dig at 'Our Team'? Top tune.)
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 08, 2013, 03:51:09 AM »

I think you've hit the nail on the head there re WGGT. I think the Sunflower link blinds people to the fact that the song is actually completely and utterly appalling. Of all the songs to salvage... (Although what's with the dig at 'Our Team'? Top tune.)
It's not a great song. The KTSA version is horrid. It works ok as an instrumental tho...

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 09, 2013, 02:31:28 PM »

Endless Harmony is pure sewage cascading down a cliff before sloshing onto Bruce Johnston's head.

Goin' On on the other hand is just brilliant.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 09, 2013, 03:02:21 PM »

Endless Harmony isn't THAT bad. Compared to something like Livin' With A Heartache, at least. Although the lyrics suck.

zachrwolfe
« Reply #169 on: December 09, 2013, 09:57:41 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:35:41 PM by zatch » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #170 on: December 09, 2013, 10:02:48 PM »

Just gonna own up and say I love Endless Harmony...
I second that! One of the only good songs from this sh*t album.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 09, 2013, 10:03:51 PM »

I will say that I genuinely hate "Endless Harmony." Granted, I've only heard the song once, but.... those lyrics  Tongue

I'll give it another listen for the music.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 10, 2013, 06:13:07 AM »

I will say that I genuinely hate "Endless Harmony." Granted, I've only heard the song once, but.... those lyrics  Tongue

I'll give it another listen for the music.
Yeah, for me Endless Harmony has one of the worst lyrics ever in any song. "And we sang God bless America" makes me puke.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #173 on: December 10, 2013, 07:44:27 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:35:37 PM by zatch » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #174 on: December 10, 2013, 08:18:21 PM »

Bad lyrics tend not to bother me (with a few exceptions), which is probably why I'm able to enjoy the song.
Agreed!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx