gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:39:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Keepin' The Summer Alive
5 - 5 (3.7%)
4 - 13 (9.6%)
3 - 52 (38.2%)
2 - 44 (32.4%)
1 - 16 (11.8%)
0 - 6 (4.4%)
Total Voters: 120

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Keepin' The Summer Alive  (Read 123270 times)
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2007, 03:58:41 AM »

This album never struck me at first but it has really grown on me in recent times. I mean I guess I never liked it that much before because I never gave it a chance because when you hear the 60's-early 70's material, it can be pretty hard to get into the late 70's and indeed this album. But once I came to the realisation that I can't compare this to and expect it to sound like earlier Beach Boys albums then the songs started to grow on me. Still nothing compared to what came before (in the 60's-early 70's) but if you put that material out of your mind then it's still a decent album.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 03:59:32 AM by mikeyj » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2007, 08:26:04 PM »

I thought the liners were pretty good, though.  Roll Eyes
The liner notes were good. Except for the fact that the guy who wrote them seems to actually kind of like When Girls Get Together. It scares me that there are people in this universe like that.  LOL

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2007, 10:38:00 AM »

The liner notes were good. Except for the fact that the guy who wrote them seems to actually kind of like When Girls Get Together. It scares me that there are people in this universe like that.  LOL

Ah jay, don't be a hater. Wink

I love When Girls Get Together. Its one of my favorite post-SMiLE songs.  Smokin
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2007, 08:46:39 PM »

I love When Girls Get Together. Its one of my favorite post-SMiLE songs.  Smokin
I'm as hardcore of a fan as most of the people here, but that level of fandom/obsession is just not healthy.  LOL

Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2007, 11:50:07 PM »

I'm as hardcore of a fan as most of the people here, but that level of fandom/obsession is just not healthy.  LOL

Grin  Actually I like the song, it's one of the weakest of that record but I still like it.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2007, 11:54:06 PM »

Grin  Actually I like the song, it's one of the weakest of that record but I still like it.

Yeh I don't mind it either. I mean when you compare it to the other late 70's-early 80's output it aint all that bad
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: October 17, 2007, 09:43:10 PM »

Except it was recorded in 1970.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2007, 07:41:56 AM »

Yes siree Bob! Rejected for Sunflower, right?

To my ears it has a SMiLE like quality to it. My favorite imagery from the song is the part about the old lady talking about "her great loss" whom I  imagine is her dead husband, then he sees some little girls skipping and giggling about boys.. So great.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 07:45:37 AM by pixletwin » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2007, 07:45:55 AM »

When Girls Get Together, at the end of Landlocked, is terrible. "All those good songs and now this dung?!"

When Girls Get Together, at the end of Keepin' the Summer Alive, is great. "All those mediocre songs and now this wonderful piece of music?"

They were wise to hold off on this one.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2007, 08:58:16 PM »

Ok, you guys are starting to scare me.  Shocked

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 18, 2007, 10:14:06 PM »

I knew someone was going to say that. I realise that but its still early 80's output (ie: put out there), thats what I was referring to.
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2008, 08:57:36 PM »

my girlfriend bought me the Keeping the summer alive and Beach Boys two-fer last winter. I wasn't expecting anything great (on account of the terrible reviews i read). but i was actually somewhat surprised. Goin' on is one of my favourite BB songs. I know it's not a a "classic",  but i'll defend it.
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: July 31, 2008, 09:03:57 AM »

Being such a huge Beach Boys freak I realized with a bit of shame that I'd never even heard this album. I'd been so scared away by all the slamming it gets, I think I'd always figured it was something to best be left unheard. But then yesterday I found it on vinyl for like 35 cents, so I figured, what the hell? It'll at least make my collection almost complete.

I have to admit, I think the album is a complete delight from start to finish. And unlike LA or MIU, it has a completely cohesive sound and feel all the way through. "Livin with a heartach" is particularly great. Maybe it's because I could listen to Carl sing ANYTHING and be happy, but nah, it's a nice song. Carl could have had a career as a contemporary country singer if he'd wanted to!

Sure, the track KTSA and also Goin On aren't as great as their live versions, but they still work perfectly well. Sunshine has great harmonies and Endless Harmony gives me goosebumps in spite of all the cheese Bruce drips all over it.

The only song I don't get is When Girls Get Together. I've had that one on my Landlocked boot forever, and I dunno..... For some reason, the song just give me the creeps. I can't understand why.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 09:07:06 AM by erikdavid5000 » Logged
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: July 31, 2008, 09:09:27 AM »

my girlfriend bought me the Keeping the summer alive and Beach Boys two-fer last winter. I wasn't expecting anything great (on account of the terrible reviews i read). but i was actually somewhat surprised. Goin' on is one of my favourite BB songs. I know it's not a a "classic",  but i'll defend it.

Hey, Goin On has been my FAVORITE BBs track for years. Pretty much based on the "Fridays" performance rather than the record, but still....... I never like to admit this, but it IS my number one BBs song.

Total joy.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: July 31, 2008, 02:09:21 PM »

Goin' On is the only song I have heard from the record. I love it. I think the bridge/sax solo is a little cheesey--I realize that they(I guess mostly Bruce) was going for a real retro/nostalgic sound with the bridge, and I think it succeeds in that regard(cheesy though it be); I just don't think it was the best choice for such an anguished song. But man, what a melody that song has!
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 31, 2008, 02:44:00 PM »

The rest is aural sewage.

Hahahahahahahaha!
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 31, 2008, 03:36:57 PM »

The album sounds like the cover looks. "Goin' On" is the only decent tracks on it.
How did  "producer" Bruce Johnston put it on the interview disc with Roger Scott which promoted it in Britain (Caribou sxpr 1204) :
" I'm kind of the Bruce Welch (Producer of Cliff Richard ) to the Beach Boys - the objective ear... the only thing I'm nervous about is whether they will like it or not...I honestly have to tell you I don't know if this is a good album or not anymore, I'm just waterlogged with it and I'm very glad I'm not in the other part of the studio where our engineer Steve Desper is going through the mastering process, I will go in there an approve or disapprove whatever he does but I'm just burned out..."
followed by Brian's remark when asked another question on the album by Scott "I gotta go now". Which really says it all.
There was a lot of promotion going into that album and it went nowhere. Quite rightly so!!

Watson, did you hear this?
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 31, 2008, 04:08:39 PM »

It's easier for me to separate this album into good songs (by late 70s BBs standards), so-so songs, and crap songs:

Good songs: Goin' On. Santa Ana Winds (could live iwthout the intro though). Some Of Your Love (for the intro and Mike's vocal). School Days (Because the song stands up to it, and Al's vocal is good. The back-ups kill it a little though). And the title track.

So-So Songs: Sunshine. Livin' With A Heartache.

Crap Songs: Oh Darlin'. When Girls Get Together. Endless Harmony.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: September 05, 2008, 11:05:56 PM »

Hmmm. I would divide it thus:

Good Songs: Goin' On--so good the cheesey, cliched, retro "Grease"-like production doesn't ruin it-- Santa Ana Winds, Title Track(new wave Beach Boys), .

Good songs ruined by crappy production: Oh, Darlin'--good song rendered with zippo imagination.

So-so songs: Livin' with a Heartache, When Girls Get Together(though it does stick in my head...)it's too long) Endless Harmony--I just kind of get into it, despite the  lyrics...a guilty pleasure, like Brian's Back. School Days(like the backing track sans harmonies)

Crap: Sunshine...Some of Your Love--a little TOO MIU for me...

I don't hate this album as much as the rest of you, but it a weird one...
CarlsDarlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2009, 05:52:17 PM »

3.  My favorite tracks are Livin' With A Heartache and Goin' On.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2009, 04:11:13 PM »

Both Oh Darlin' and Santa ana Winds could've been great, love those songs' earlier/demo recordings.

1980 is among the most intriguing years in BB history to me and therefore I really wish KTSA was a much more satisfying listening experience. Mind you, for my liking it's nowhere near as bad as its reputation, but still I prefer M.I.U. and probably even BB85. Livin' With A Heartache sure is a nice enough tune, yet The Beach Boys doing leightwight country is probably as far removed from what made me a hardcore fan as it gets. I tend to like When Girls Get Together for what it is, though the lyrics are probably as bland as the group ever got in 1970. Endless Harmony is Bruce being Bruce and I love The Free Design's take on that song.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2009, 04:20:48 PM »

I commented on this album earlier, but have long since forgotten when I wrote. Presumably, I said it sucks. It mostly does.

But lately I've thought that the title track would have been far better (not a great song ... the raw material just isn't good enough for that) if it had been done circa 1972 with Carl producing it. With Blondie and Ricky playing and that rougher-around-the-edges production, this could have rocked. There are live versions that sound pretty good. But nothing takes the edge out of a rock song quite like the melted Velveeta that is the KTSA production job.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 25, 2009, 04:50:41 PM »

In keeping with the above line of thinking, I'd also have loved to hear Livin With a Heartache and School Days in that '72-era production.

Oh Darlin is a tougher one. Really, what it demands is nothing but a great performance. It would have been best as simply produced as possible. I'm thinking simple, live-in-studio band of organic instruments (and not many of them) and one of the boys singing his ass off on the lead. Harmonies done live, too.

As for the rest, there isn't much help possible.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: April 25, 2009, 08:03:19 AM »

I have to say after six months...this album is better than either MIU or BB85. Faint praise, but I can dig it.
axl wills
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 10, 2009, 12:08:09 PM »

Totaly agree with you lance!And I will add 15 big ones to  come with miu & bb85.
KTSA is not a masterpiece  but that's not that bad.Sunshine is weak and WGGT is just awful but the others songs are listenable.
Their voices are in a better shape than on the 76-78era.And Carl is very present overall.the sound is slick but not with that 80's cold synthetiser feeling.
That the last album with dennis(even if it's only in a little apparence on endless harmony),
so that's was the "beach boys" for the last time.                                                                                                                     Still love them that way than what came after!3/5
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx