gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:34:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BB Tribute AND Impersonation show...thoughts?  (Read 4216 times)
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 20, 2008, 09:22:44 PM »

There are many BB tribute bands out there, but this two-man band claims to be a tribute AND impersonation show, impersonating Brian & Mike, which is something you don't see every day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLr_cRazFnw&feature=related

Thoughts? (please watch entire video first)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 10:59:19 PM »

They suck! Don't Worry Baby sounds like the Long Beach '81 version. I know you said to watch the entire video, but I couldn't stand it! I was able to put up with four minutes of that crap before I turned it off. Oh my goodness, wow. The concept is interesting, but the execution is so so so so SO bad.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 11:02:46 PM »

They suck! Don't Worry Baby sounds like the Long Beach '81 version. I know you said to watch the entire video, but I couldn't stand it! I was able to put up with four minutes of that crap before I turned it off. Oh my goodness, wow. The concept is interesting, but the execution is so so so so SO bad.
I happened upon this video on YouTube and thought it was pretty amusing!  Particularly the footage from Walmart.  The guy is talented at doing other impersonations though.  He does a mean Johnny Carson.  But as for impersonating Mike Love, well...
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 04:13:32 AM »

It was all very funny until that guy started singing Don't Worry Baby.  409 wasn't very good, but that guy had a good "nasal" modern-Mike sound for the parts where it looked like they were playing at a mini-golf course
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 01:21:59 AM »

This is probably the most ghastly and unpleasant thing I've seen or heard ever. Just execrable, painful and appalling. It makes my heart sink. It makes me lose my faith in humanity.

If people must pretend to be the Beach Boys, they should do it like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9a000jHxqo

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 02:16:46 PM »

What gets me is that the person who put the video together didn't bother to edit out the parts when people were walking in front of the camera with shopping carts in the Walmart, or wandering aimlessly in front of the stage in the bar.  It also seemed like no one was watching when they were performing during the fireworks show.  Then throughout the video they mention that they're available for hire!  I wonder how much they charge.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 02:37:33 PM »

I'd like to know what the backing tracks are.  They sound like the actual Beach Boys records, or maybe they're karaoke versions.  I'd be surprised if these guys put them together themselves.  I wonder if they have permission if they're made by somebody else?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 02:47:04 PM »

Wonderful. I'd love to do something that terrible just to make people uncomfortable. When it comes to bad covers, only this is better in my experience (note: not BBs-related...just awfulness-related): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjeMDvCdrtc

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 05:01:02 PM »

I agree with what many have said in this thread. Good concept, poor execution.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 02:51:49 PM »

From the youtube link...

As professional "Beach Boys" impersonation performers, they look, sound and act like the real guys "Brian and Mike,

....ohhhh gawd nooooo!!!  Thud
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 08:53:14 PM »

Just terrible. Really bad. I can't fault them for chutzpah though.

Also, there's a guy in the comments of the Fendertones video claiming that it's "better than the original". Wrong.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 10:22:25 PM »

Wonderful. I'd love to do something that terrible just to make people uncomfortable. When it comes to bad covers, only this is better in my experience (note: not BBs-related...just awfulness-related): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjeMDvCdrtc

That's hilarious!  If that guy got picked to be lead singer, I'd hate to know what the others sound like.  I also like the way he walks around like a figure in an old video arcade game (Frogger?).  And the "organist"  . . . what a talent. Roll Eyes LOL
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 12:32:21 AM »

This is probably the most ghastly and unpleasant thing I've seen or heard ever. Just execrable, painful and appalling. It makes my heart sink. It makes me lose my faith in humanity.

If people must pretend to be the Beach Boys, they should do it like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9a000jHxqo

Forgive me for quoting myself, but did anyone check out the link I posted? I kinda thought at least one or two of you would be interested...?

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 12:43:46 AM »

Forgive me for quoting myself, but did anyone check out the link I posted? I kinda thought at least one or two of you would be interested...?

I don't think they're pretending to be the Beach Boys... they're just trying to duplicate their studio arrangements.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 11:15:02 AM »

I like the Fendertones, but I think it must be expensive to keep a band like that operating.  Where do they even play? 
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2008, 11:24:11 AM »

I don't think they're pretending to be the Beach Boys... they're just trying to duplicate their studio arrangements.

Oh... I just can't be bothered.

brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 11:27:38 AM »

I like the Fendertones, but I think it must be expensive to keep a band like that operating.  Where do they even play? 

I'd imagine it must pretty much be a one-off extravaganza, though I believe it was filmed over two or three nights, and that all of them are otherwise involved in the music biz, so getting the show together wasn't such a gargantuan effort. Not something you could tour easily though (and make a profit) given the look of the sets...

If the DVD ever does come off I'd probably be up for a copy.

brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2008, 11:44:29 AM »

The version of "Sloop John B." at the nautical mini-golf course was insane.

Satanic, man!!!!!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2008, 02:00:42 PM »

Ah always great to spread a bit of summer.

I Approve  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx