gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:42:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Every original-material Beach Boys album - any missing?  (Read 9964 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2008, 08:20:59 AM »

Yeah, my post was a little mean... I guess that's what happen when you post after a few beers.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2008, 12:57:38 PM »

I wish people would just forget the Zoo.

Me too, but about twenty times a year, either in emails or on message boards, I get asked about it, hence the entry on the webpage. In quotes, yet. (Actually, that's the whole point of 10452 - instead of explaining, I can just say "it's on my website - next").

Landlocked is even worse. It was the working title for Surf's Up for, oh, all of maybe a week. That's all. How the title got stapled to the tape labelled "2nd Brother Records album" is possibly the perfect example of an overactive imagination putting a 2 in close proximity with another 2 and emerging with something of the order of 43.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 01:02:37 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2008, 01:01:04 PM »

I probably have all of the  Super Stocks tracks (there was some Dennis involvement in "Four On The Floor", right?).

Don't think so - it was the Four Speeds.

It's on my website, y'know... Grin

TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2008, 07:57:26 PM »

Not really misguided... I mean, I was well aware from the second I heard about it that it was all a wind-up.

I'm just intrigued about things like that; I'm the same way about Rolling Stone's hoax article about the lost Beatles album "Hot As Sun".  One of my biggest projects over at Bootleg Zone is reconstructing that album for its '40th anniversary'.  Cheesy  I was mainly inspired by a Japanese CD that tried to do the same thing but failed miserably. 
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2008, 10:48:51 PM »

I probably have all of the  Super Stocks tracks (there was some Dennis involvement in "Four On The Floor", right?).

Don't think so - it was the Four Speeds.

It's on my website, y'know... Grin

Right, thanks...

So I'm going to correct myself on re-assembling the Shut Down album- I've apparently got everything except-get this- the Beach Boys tracks, and in one place.  Some of you will, too.

I went to check on what I had by the Four Speeds, as opposed to the Super Stocks. At a glance, I see that I have two versions of "Four On The Floor"- by the Four Speeds (Surf & Drag Vol.1), and The Super Stocks (Monster Summer Hits- Drag City)- not to be confused with "Four In The Floor" by The Shutdowns (Surf & Drag Vol.2).  The two Usher tracks have a different overall sound, but checking in at 2:26 each, they appear to be the same basic track with a slightly different Usher vocal. "Cheater Slicks" same thing; same two bands, both versions 2:00.  If the track is indeed the same, Dennis just joined a new band. So far, I can't find a Super Stocks version of either "R.P.M." or "My Sting Ray", the other two songs Dennis is said to be on (the latter also including a Brian BG vocal).

So- on to Shut Down. Amazingly, every track Dr. Tim listed above for that album turns up on the Capitol 1991 CD compilation Monster Summer Hits- Drag City; Mitchum, Piltdown Men, everything.  The sole exception is that "Chicken" is attributed to Bert Convy and The Cheers rather than just the Cheers. The Beach Boys songs are there, too, but are not the overdubbed versions with added effects.   Also, I can't seem to confirm the "yuk-yuk" sound effects that Dr. Tim mentions for some songs.  So- for completists like me-  this album is that close to containing the entire Shut Down album on CD. I'd still like to have it in it's original order, with original mixes, and in its original cover.  Yeah, I'm a geek.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2008, 01:49:39 AM »

Me too, but about twenty times a year, either in emails or on message boards, I get asked about it, hence the entry on the webpage. In quotes, yet. (Actually, that's the whole point of 10452 - instead of explaining, I can just say "it's on my website - next").

Landlocked is even worse. It was the working title for Surf's Up for, oh, all of maybe a week. That's all. How the title got stapled to the tape labelled "2nd Brother Records album" is possibly the perfect example of an overactive imagination putting a 2 in close proximity with another 2 and emerging with something of the order of 43.

Still it's remarkable that after all these years, we still all call that recording "Landlocked". Mention that name and the average fan knows what we're talking about (and the more than average fan knows the right song-order, and the real freaks know exactly where that sound-dip in Big sur can be found).
But when you think of it, it's pretty reasonable. "Landlocked" sounds much better in my ears than "2nd Brother Records album". It's a great title for aa BB-record anyway IMO.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2008, 07:28:12 AM »

No need to get too anal about Shut Down vol. 1.  The ONLY difference in the BB tracks, as I said, is that hot rod noises are overdubbed onto the intros, which then cross-fade into the standard mono mixes you've heard a thousand times.  Capitol did that for the LP, the BBs had no say in it and certainly did not approve of it.

The yuk-yuk "comedy" FX are on the Eligibles track "Car Trouble", a song about a guy who goes driving to lover's lane with his girl on a promise to get her home on time, but the battery goes dead and he gets yelled at when they walk home (the FX are the yelling dad, the Maxwell car start-up, a smooch and a wolf whistle).  Reading this description of the song no doubt underwhelms you, as it should.  I'm assuming that one is on that Drag City compilation too, which I'd never heard of until now.   At least those tracks saw the light of day again in another format.

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2008, 07:50:45 AM »

Is now a good time to bring up the working title: The Fading Rock Group Revival?

I recall reading this one long ago in some magazine, don't know which any more. Might have been thought up by Jack Rieley. In the days when perhaps for the first time 'eco-awareness' became an issue. Somehow, IMHO, 'Landlocked', 'Don't Go Near The Water', 'A Day In The Life Of A Tree' all have a certain downishness about them, and 'Til I Die' and maybe also 'Surf's Up' fit into the pattern. As does 'The Fading Rock Group Revival'.
Also, Rieley made that concept LP together with Machiel Botman, 'Western Justice', about global environmental and food problems (hey, were they really that visionary? After all, 'Western Justice' got released in, I think, 1973 or thereabouts.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2008, 08:14:42 AM »

I think The Fading Rock Group Revival was just Bruce's joke nickname for Reverberation, which had Cottonfields, Break Away, and Celebrate the News, combined with a few tracks from Landlocked and Sunflower.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2008, 08:15:42 AM »

I think The Fading Rock Group Revival was just Bruce's joke nickname for Reverberation, which had Cottonfields, Break Away, and Celebrate the News, combined with a few tracks from Landlocked and Sunflower.

OK tks!

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2008, 11:00:27 AM »

Is now a good time to bring up the working title: The Fading Rock Group Revival?

I recall reading this one long ago in some magazine, don't know which any more. Might have been thought up by Jack Rieley. In the days when perhaps for the first time 'eco-awareness' became an issue. Somehow, IMHO, 'Landlocked', 'Don't Go Near The Water', 'A Day In The Life Of A Tree' all have a certain downishness about them, and 'Til I Die' and maybe also 'Surf's Up' fit into the pattern. As does 'The Fading Rock Group Revival'.
Also, Rieley made that concept LP together with Machiel Botman, 'Western Justice', about global environmental and food problems (hey, were they really that visionary? After all, 'Western Justice' got released in, I think, 1973 or thereabouts.

1975, or thereabouts. Now available on CD and actually, it's rather good.

TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2008, 11:56:40 AM »

I got "Live In Michigan" (via the "Mike Love Not War" bootleg)... I have a feeling there is a good reason that was never officially issued.  Primarily... they sound high.  Very, very high.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2008, 02:54:15 PM »

I miss the Beach Boys In Concert - single album version that was compiled, but refused by Warner, 1973. There's a tracklist known of this album, and no recordings of this album were used for the double live LP that was releaased later that year. I think the only song from that unreleased live album is Heroes And Villains, but I can't remember right away on which comp. CD it was released. Anyone?

Btw, I think you can find information on this (and every other unreleased/non existing BB-album) on AGD's bellagio-site. I assume you checked that one out already?

howdy sh..

track list for the single live in concert was
side 1: wouldn't it be nice
            leaving this town
            heroes and villians
            marcella
           you need a mess of help to stand alone
side 2: let the wind blow
            do it again
            wild honey
            fun fun fun
            jumpin' jack flash

i have a copy of this but it is warped to h.ell. paid a buttload of $$$$ for it out of goldmine magazine ages ago. next to the us test pressing of holland with the song we got love and the tracking sheet it is my next prized item in my collection. but it really is so warped you can hypnotize yourself watching it spin on the turntable. very unplayable. at least all my tapes still play!   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

and yes...the version of heroes on endless harmony is from this single set.

btw...remodeling coming together nicely. hopefuly all will be done before to long. looks great i may add!!  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 02:57:13 PM by Steve Mayo » Logged

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2008, 06:09:03 PM »

They were really doing "Don't Worry Bill" a favour by merging it with "Wonderful". Talk about pearls before swine.

I like Wonderbill. Just the fact that they did Wonderful or any other SMiLE material live in any form is a miracle in itself.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx