gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:32:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Every original-material Beach Boys album - any missing?  (Read 9901 times)
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2008, 09:44:49 PM »

I've decided to start compiling a complete archive of the Beach Boys' original albums (studio and live, no compilations)... are there any missing from this list?  (I put notes next to a few titles, where I had something else to say... hopefully someone more knowledgeable can answer my queries.)

* Surfin' Safari
* Surfin' USA
* Surfer Girl
* Little Deuce Coupe
* Shut Down Vol. 2
* All Summer Long
* Beach Boys Concert
* Christmas Album
* The Beach Boys Today!
* Summer Days (And Summer Nights!)
* Beach Boys' Party
* Remember The Zoo  [I'll use my own 'reconstruction' for this.]
* Pet Sounds
* Live In Michigan  [bootlegged as "Mike Love, Not War"??]
* Smile  [Purple Chick's, of course.]
* Smiley Smile
* Lei'd In Hawaii  [bootlegged]
* Wild Honey
* Friends
* Stack-O-Tracks  [well, it was un-compilation enough to merit a 2fer...]
* 20/20
* Reverberation  [not bootlegged, but compilable]
* Live In London/Beach Boys '69
* Add Some Music  [bootlegged??]
* Sunflower
* Landlocked  [bootlegged]
* Surf's Up
* Carl And The Passions: So Tough
* Holland
* The Beach Boys In Concert
- Caribou Album  [NOT bootlegged nor compilable]
- Beachago  [NOT bootlegged nor compilable?  I'm not sure... anybody??]
* 15 Big Ones
* New Album  [bootlegged]
* The Beach Boys Love You
* Adult Child  [bootlegged]
* Merry Christmas From The Beach Boys  [bootlegged]
* California Feeling  [bootlegged]
* MIU Album
* Light Album
* Keepin' The Summer Alive
* Cousins, Friends and Brothers  [NOT bootlegged as far as I know - but is a DIY compilation possible??]
* The Beach Boys
* Still Cruisin'
* Summer In Paradise
* Stars And Stripes Vol. 1
- Stars And Stripes Vol. 2  [not bootlegged, nor anywhere near completed... thus, I can't have it]
* The Beach Boys Salute NASCAR
* Good Timin' - Live At Knebworth
* Songs From Here And Back  [well, it's kind of fresh material...]

That should be everything, unless I'm missing a rogue lost album somewhere.  I just better start saving money for the 2fers, and get them out of the way first...
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 11:03:17 PM »

Argh, take Remember the Zoo off that list! It's not a Beach Boys album!!!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 02:58:53 AM »

I miss the Beach Boys In Concert - single album version that was compiled, but refused by Warner, 1973. There's a tracklist known of this album, and no recordings of this album were used for the double live LP that was releaased later that year. I think the only song from that unreleased live album is Heroes And Villains, but I can't remember right away on which comp. CD it was released. Anyone?

Btw, I think you can find information on this (and every other unreleased/non existing BB-album) on AGD's bellagio-site. I assume you checked that one out already?

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 04:56:23 AM »

Heroes and Villains from the first one LP concert was released on Endless Harmony.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 04:58:35 AM »

Heroes and Villains from the first one LP concert was released on Endless Harmony.

Is that the dreadful 'Wonderbill'?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 05:04:02 AM »

Has the original seldom-mentioned Shut Down album (i.e., Volume 1) ever been re-released?  Seems like maybe there was a Japanese CD years ago.

Musically insignificant, but you can't get to 20 for 20/20 without that one...

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 05:04:33 AM »

Is that the dreadful 'Wonderbill'?

No "Wonderbill" is just "Wonderful" followed by "Don't Worry Bill", which is a song by the Flames.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 07:10:37 AM »

They were really doing "Don't Worry Bill" a favour by merging it with "Wonderful". Talk about pearls before swine.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 08:14:20 AM »

Has the original seldom-mentioned Shut Down album (i.e., Volume 1) ever been re-released?  Seems like maybe there was a Japanese CD years ago.

Good call. I have a vague recollection that 'Shut Down' has Robert Mitchum with 'Ballad Of Thunder Road' on it, is that true?

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 08:35:12 AM »

They were really doing "Don't Worry Bill" a favour by merging it with "Wonderful". Talk about pearls before swine.

I thought that the incorporated "Don't Worry Bill" was a terrific live track, really rocked. A direction the band could have gone down if it hadn't been for the Endless Summer approach that took hold later.

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 08:46:59 AM »

I thought that the incorporated "Don't Worry Bill" was a terrific live track, really rocked. A direction the band could have gone down if it hadn't been for the Endless Summer approach that took hold later.

With all due respect -
I am diametrically opposed to you, 180o, antipodean, the lot. 'Don't Worry Bill' = 'We Got Love' = 'Here She Comes' = 'Hold On Brother' --> LAME.
(sorry).

brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 10:25:38 AM »

Love all those Flame songs mention.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 11:03:06 AM »

Love all those Flame songs mention.

No, not Flame, I said, Lame! You misheard me!  Evil

brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 11:05:52 AM »

Didn't hear anything, only read something to disagree with.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 11:09:09 AM »

Didn't hear anything, only read something to disagree with.

OK, I'll have one on your taste then (or lack thereof...)  police

John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 01:20:51 PM »

I agree with the Heartical Don. The Flame songs are mediocre. They're crushingly average songs. Leaving This Town (which has contributions from Mike and Carl) and to a lesser extent, Hold On Dear Brother are slightly better than the rest, but otherwise, they're just blah.
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 05:27:01 PM »

Sheesh, so much hostility towards "Remember The Zoo"...  Cheesy

Besides, I just tossed it on that list for completeness since it's on Andrew's page.  I'm assuming you were equally upset when I included it in that .DOC discography I distributed here a while back?  Smiley
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 06:14:11 PM »

I don't think it should be on Andrew's page, but his logic is that he has it there to show that it's a hoax. Not so someone can think it's in the official canon of Beach Boys albums.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 06:55:07 PM »

Good call. I have a vague recollection that 'Shut Down' has Robert Mitchum with 'Ballad Of Thunder Road' on it, is that true?

Sounds good to me- I know it was a bunch of car songs- haven't seen it in years.  Can't even recall if I have it!  I do have the Mitchum track on several car-song compilations (I could probably reproduce the Shut Down sequencing, if I knew what the songs were) and I also have Mitchum's immortal classic album Calypso Is Like So!

I like the Flame songs.  I think they had a cool sound.

Remember The Zoo is just not a Beach Boys album, period, released or otherwise. It's just a discarded title. Andrew was trying to dispel that hoax, not perpetuate it.

Here's a brand new Beach Boys hoax for everyone to enjoy.  I'll come up with it on the spot, and we'll see how hard it dies.  In 1968, the Beach Boys were working on an album tentatively titled Up Against The Wall, Whitey!  Songs and Stories of the Black Power Movement.  Track listing: "Shortenin' Bread"; "I Can't Stand Myself When You Touch Me, Part 1" (lead: Al); "The Lonely Goatherd" (featuring sound effects flown in from the Watts riot); "How's About Some Of Your Sweet Lovin'"; "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again"; "It's A Man's Man's Man's Man's World" (lead: Al, NOT the James Brown song of that title); "The Elusive Butterfly Of Love" (Manson vocal); "The Funky Drummer" (lead: Bruce); "Rainbow Eyes" (track from original SMiLE version, new vocal by Rocky Pamplin); Suite: "Ballad Of The Green Berets"/"Student Demonstration Time"/"Hey Little Tomboy", "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings" (Maya Angelou poem read by Mike); "Teeter Totter Love".  The last track supposedly featured the sounds of Dennis socking it to both Frankie and Annette, which led to its eventual shelving. Evolved into the Fred Vail Country album.

Possibility of release: intriguing, but unlikely.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 08:26:35 PM »

No the original Shut Down LP was never reissued.  The two BB trakcs, of course, were overdubbed with hot rod noises and led off each side.  The rest of the LP, besides the Mitchum track, contained gems like "Black Denim Trousers" by the Cheers, the gag track "Car Trouble" by the Eligibles, and the non-vocal "Brontosaurus Stomp" by the Piltdown Men.  No prizes for guessing if any of these other groups existed outside of this project.

The story behind this LP, I think, was that the Capitol execs thought hot rod records were the next big thing and the Beach Boys' surf music was on the way out.

If you have a copy and a working turntable, play it at 78 for the kids. They will fall about.  We did when we were kids.

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2008, 08:43:13 PM »

Well, I guess I couldn't reconstruct that...even the BB tracks (forgot about the overdubs) and it sounds like it's screaming for an introduction to the digital age, to finally complete all of our collections. I'm writing my congressman right away.

Speaking of rarities, always great to see an all-too rare post from one of my favorite members of this board.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 09:52:23 PM by Surfer Joe » Logged

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2008, 09:33:24 PM »

Thank you thank you for the kind words.  Don't get up.  Here for your dining, dancing and reminiscing pleasure is the lineup for SHUT DOWN, Capitol mono LP T 1918:
(bought for $3.99 out of the dump bin at Reckless Records Chicago)

SIDE ONE
Beach Boys - Shut Down  (zoom zoom zoom)
The Cheers - Chicken (a Lieber-Stoller screamfest - girls,boys, brass, whatever)
Super Stocks - Wide Track (Gary Usher and hot-rod maven Roger Christian! They get 4 tracks on this waffle to themselves)
The Piltdown Men - Brontosaurus Stomp (with Lincoln Mayorga, later an L.A. jazz guy, and Ed Cobb)
Super Stocks - Four On The Floor
The Cheers - Black Denim Trousers and Motorcycle Boots (More screamfest. Tell that wailing chorus and barking french horns to STFU!)

SIDE TWO
Beach Boys - 409 (with vroom vroom)
Super Stocks - Street Machine
Robert Mitchum - Ballad of Thunder Road (1954?!  This was the next big thing?)
Jimmy Dolan - Hot Rod Race (nice rockabilly, like "Hot Rod Lincoln")
The Eligibles - Car Trouble (with yuk yuk sound FX)
Super Stocks - Cheater Slicks (whatever they were)

Good luck assembling this from whatever the sources may bestow upon  you…
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 09:35:45 PM by Dr. Tim » Logged

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2008, 10:52:42 PM »

Sounds good to me- I know it was a bunch of car songs- haven't seen it in years.  Can't even recall if I have it!  I do have the Mitchum track on several car-song compilations (I could probably reproduce the Shut Down sequencing, if I knew what the songs were) and I also have Mitchum's immortal classic album Calypso Is Like So!

I like the Flame songs.  I think they had a cool sound.

Remember The Zoo is just not a Beach Boys album, period, released or otherwise. It's just a discarded title. Andrew was trying to dispel that hoax, not perpetuate it.

Here's a brand new Beach Boys hoax for everyone to enjoy.  I'll come up with it on the spot, and we'll see how hard it dies.  In 1968, the Beach Boys were working on an album tentatively titled Up Against The Wall, Whitey!  Songs and Stories of the Black Power Movement.  Track listing: "Shortenin' Bread"; "I Can't Stand Myself When You Touch Me, Part 1" (lead: Al); "The Lonely Goatherd" (featuring sound effects flown in from the Watts riot); "How's About Some Of Your Sweet Lovin'"; "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again"; "It's A Man's Man's Man's Man's World" (lead: Al, NOT the James Brown song of that title); "The Elusive Butterfly Of Love" (Manson vocal); "The Funky Drummer" (lead: Bruce); "Rainbow Eyes" (track from original SMiLE version, new vocal by Rocky Pamplin); Suite: "Ballad Of The Green Berets"/"Student Demonstration Time"/"Hey Little Tomboy", "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings" (Maya Angelou poem read by Mike); "Teeter Totter Love".  The last track supposedly featured the sounds of Dennis socking it to both Frankie and Annette, which led to its eventual shelving. Evolved into the Fred Vail Country album.

Possibility of release: intriguing, but unlikely.
Right, exactly. Now, if you managed to get this in a Beach Boys newsletter, I guess that's official enough for Andrew to put on his site to decry and official enough for TheLazenby to reconstruct on youtube and put on all his official lists. Right?

wrong. I wish people would just forget the Zoo.

Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2008, 06:24:05 AM »

Hey, not Andrew's fault. He's doing a public service, and Lazenby is just having some misguided fun.  People are attracted to those titles because they're fun to think about or believe in.  It'd be great to think that there was still something major hiding from us, within reach. Legit unreleased albums, to me, are SMiLE (twelve and ten track), Lei'd In Hawai'i, Adult Child, the second Christmas album, the '95 effort...those were legit projects that died and weren't replaced by anything else. The other stuff is mostly just alternate titles of works-in-progress that found another (usually improved or more appropriate)  form.

I'm whipped before I start reconstructing Shut Down...even the Beach Boys tracks are not the same as what I have (but why do I feel like I know the overdubbed versions?  I'm pretty sure now that I never owned it. Of course I have the Mitchum track several times over, and I probably have all of the  Super Stocks tracks (there was some Dennis involvement in "Four On The Floor", right?). After that...forget about it.

Are we certain there's never been a CD release anywhere at any time?  Having thought about it, I now feel like I recall seeing not the disc itself, but a picture of it in another Japanese import.  That would explain my not owning it.  But the picture might  have been just a misleading reproduction of an old group of LP releases.

Anyway, I'd buy the heck out of that sucker.  They should release it with bonus tracks of all the tracks sped up, as suggested earlier in this thread.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2008, 06:29:51 AM »

Surfer Joe is right. When one's a true diehard, then 'new titles' can appear even in dreams. I recall several dreams in which I 'heard' unreleased new Beach Boys' songs in their full glory. I can't describe the disappointment that ensued when I was having my breakfast coffee... because I thought, whilst dreaming, that in my orgasmic state I just had to run to the nearest record fair to grab that stuff.

(There exists a gorgeous comic cartoon where a TinTin fan discovers an 'unpublished' book with his hero, titled: 'TinTin And The Green Emeralds'. I think that in the process of bargaining with the vendor said fan wakes up perspiring, and immediately falls into deep depression...)

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx