gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 12:47:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Official TLOS Album Reviews  (Read 16329 times)
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2008, 07:32:12 AM »

I rarely ever listen to the same album more than once a day... But I got TLOS last Friday and I've heard it 20-25 times by now... I just don't get tired of it...
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2008, 07:42:49 AM »

I don't find anything incredibly profound in any of the lyrics on TLOS beyond Midnight's Another Day. In fact, I implied that the silliness of the lyrics was to the album's benefit.

Sure, there's more going on, yeah, but silly is silly and opinions are opinions. Smiley

Of course. But haven't almost all of us grown to love:
- If Mars Had Life On It / I Might Find A Wife On It;
- Mona / How's About An Eight O'Clock Dinner / How's About A Nine O'Clock Movie / Won't It Won't It Won't It Be Groovy?
- He Sits Behind His Micro-phone / He Speaks In Such A Manly Tone
- Hooon-kin', Honkin' On A Gosh Darn High-way

As you said, silly is silly.... Cheesy

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2008, 08:06:50 AM »

I rarely ever listen to the same album more than once a day... But I got TLOS last Friday and I've heard it 20-25 times by now... I just don't get tired of it...

Me too. In my opinion the album really benefits from being just 38 minutes long and I mean that in the best possible sense. It doesn't feel like a "concept album" to me and when it's over you just like to listen to it all over again.

By the way, I wish Al could have had a guest spot on the record, maybe as lead singer on Good Kind Of Love.
Jez Graham
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2008, 09:44:21 AM »

repost from my blog-

More on TLOS

Listening to the physical CD was a real treat. I highly recommend this disc for anyone who has ever been moved by the music of Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys. It's almost like the record I was always hoping The Beach Boys would make after Love You, in fact I hear it as the missing link between The Fairy Tale from Holland, Love You and Brian's solo material. The stand out songs for me are Oxygen To The Brain, Midnight's Another Day, Going Home, and Southern California. Chord-wise these progressions bring to mind elements also found in Till I Die, Don't Worry Baby, Ding Dang, and other Beach Boys classics. I love how the Roll around Heaven theme from That Luck Old Sun is interwoven into the fabric of the piece, particularly the Reprise. Oxygen To The Brain is destined to become a Brian Wilson classic. It's a subject he has written about through the years but this is like he took all those songs like Too Much Sugar and made them into a symphony. The arrangements on the album really add to the flow especially the string writing by Paul Von Mertens and the keyboard playing throughout of Scott Bennett, Darian Sahanaja, and Brian himself. I particularly like the Organ parts and the synth sounds that bring in elements of Holland and Love You. The contributions of each band member are remarkable, the array of sound colors and beautiful singing that brings this music to life has the collaborative spirit which shows. Produced by Brian Wilson, engineered by Mark Linett with songs by Brian Wilson/Scott Bennett, The title song is an old standard by Gillespie/Smith and the narratives are written by Van Dyke Parks. The songs are sung in a relaxed style by Brian who sounds great and now it's time for me to get to the piano and try and figure out Midnight's Another Day, See ya

Jez
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2008, 10:26:51 AM »

It doesn't feel like a "concept album" to me and when it's over you just like to listen to it all over again.

I think it does have a nice flow and feels as a 'whole', just like Smile... I think it was a great idea to link the songs together with those narratives and TLOS reprises.
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2008, 02:26:03 PM »

Alright, I'll weigh in as well.  I don't post here often, I'm more of a lurker, but I wanted to pitch in.  I bought the Best Buy release with the bonus tracks.  I can't even begin to explain how pleased I am with this release!!!  It isn't perfect of course, but I do believe that it is easily the best, most focused, Brian solo release outside of BWPS.  It's been said many times on this thread, but it must be said again, Brian really sounds like he cares about this record and his enthusiasm is very apparent and the record is all the better for it.  I don't even mind the narratives, which based on the demos, I thought I wouldn't like them.  The band is great as always.  The standouts for me are Morning Beat, Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl, Live Let Live (I don't know which version I prefer overall), Midnight's Another Day (still easily my overall favorite from the album), and Going Home.  I didn't like Mexican Girl or Oxygen to the Brain much in their demo forms, but I have even grown to like them as they are on the album.  I can't think of anything to complain about!  Well, the album cover still sucks, but I can handle that.

As for the bonus tracks, Good Kind of Love with Carole King is nice, but nothing special at all.  I really enjoyed I'm Into Something Good.  It's a very nice track and the vocal arrangement is top notch.  Just Like Me and You is awesome!!  It could have easily been a part of the album.  Definitely the cream of the three bonus cuts. 

One question, why is Brian credited in the writing of the narratives?  I was under the impressin that those were totally written by Van Dyke?

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
alovisi
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2008, 02:47:44 PM »

As for the bonus tracks, Good Kind of Love with Carole King is nice, but nothing special at all.  I really enjoyed I'm Into Something Good.  It's a very nice track and the vocal arrangement is top notch.  Just Like Me and You is awesome!!  It could have easily been a part of the album.  Definitely the cream of the three bonus cuts. 

One question, why is Brian credited in the writing of the narratives?  I was under the impressin that those were totally written by Van Dyke?

I assume it's for providing the instrumentation/backing track (which i love, by the way).
It'd be great to get hold of those without the narratives - not that  I want to be giving more ideas for bonus versions.
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2008, 02:54:47 PM »

I assume it's for providing the instrumentation/backing track (which i love, by the way).
It'd be great to get hold of those without the narratives - not that  I want to be giving more ideas for bonus versions.

I'm an idiot!!  Of course that's what it's for.  Brain fart I suppose. 

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2008, 04:18:06 PM »

I avoided listening to any of TLOS prior to today. I don't know how I did it:) Well i just listened to the album for the second time and i must say that i highly (HIGHLY) enjoy it. How beautiful is Midnight's Another Day? I can already claim that, besides BWPS, this is my favourite solo Brian album.
BiG GRiN
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2008, 06:20:57 PM »

I just wanna say thanks so much to Brian for his wonderful album;
and it doesn't matter if his voice is less 'angelic', we can't back to the past, just have to enjoy his beautiful gift.
The production is amazing, horns and strings arrangements are splendid, sounds like heaven!
it's just a moment of true pleasure to listen to his new album;
So thanks again Brian, and keep bringing magic in our life
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2008, 07:22:28 PM »

That pic of Brian sitting on the top of Capitol in the lawn chair looking at the Hollywood Tower may be my new favorite picture of him.

Also, the live version of MAD from the Itunes pre-order is great. May be even better then the studio recording.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2008, 08:13:16 PM »

Well, it may be -- but that's doubtful, given that it is the studio recording.
alovisi
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2008, 04:31:27 AM »

Good review posted at Pitchfork: http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/145112-brian-wilson-that-lucky-old-sun
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2008, 07:40:26 AM »

The pitchfork review is excellent, covers all the bases, honest and accurate assessment of Brian's work and TLOS' place in his canon.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2008, 09:54:27 AM »

How does a Pitchfork rating come about? It's surely not one man's verdict (being 7.8 in this case)?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2008, 10:33:48 AM »

It's surely not one man's verdict (being 7.8 in this case)?

Why not? I write reviews for a Dutch magazine and I have to give every CD I review a rating between 10 and 100...
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2008, 01:52:20 PM »

Just picked up my copy today.  I had heard the streams, even a recording of the live premier performances .

But I opened the case as soon as I got in my car in the Best Buy lot this morning, and BOY! was I PLEASED.

Rollin down the interstate listening to this cranked up on a good sound system, I was just knocked out.  Moved to tears actually.  Just the whole thing.   Excellent songs, performances, production, and Brian sounding like a strong and healthy Brian, celebrating and reflecting in song, the times of his life.

Really, now, who could ask for more?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2008, 04:36:30 PM »

Pitchfork gives TLOS a 7.8 today: http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/145112-brian-wilson-that-lucky-old-sun

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2008, 06:28:29 PM »

Okay, I got the album today and have given it two full listens in the last three hours. I eagerly awaited this and am proud to say that it met my expectations and I really like this album, even though there are some flaws that make it considerably less than another SMiLE, here's my track by track analysis with some other criticsms:

Title track: Very soulful and heartfelt vocal from Brian. Like this one a lot as an intro.
Morning Beat: Excellent arrangement and top-knotch vocal from Brian, who didn't sound that good on the demo or live performances on this one (IMHO). I love it!
Good Kind of Love: Good arrangement, this is a pretty little Carole King-ish number (I also have heard the version with King) and a catchy melody.
Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl: Heads and shoulders above the demo arrangement that was on BW.com, much, much better with excellent harmonies and a particularly striking arrangement.
Live Let Die: Brian sounds ten times better than the Arctic Tale version, and a strong arrangement, especially the strings at the end. Fantastic.
Mexican Girl: Pure fun and completely Brian. If you like "Roller Skating Child" or any other light hearted BB song, you'll like this one. Fun arrangement, although I'm not fond of the beginning.
California Role: Always liked this nostalgic song, terrific lyrics from Scott and a clean lead vocal from him. I like that Brian lets Scott have a lead and let's Taylor sing co-lead on "Good Kind of Love"
Oxygen to the Brain: The one number I just don't like. Just doesn't get me, I thought the demo was OK, but I just don't care for this song at all.
Can't Wait too Long: Beautiful and works as a nice intro to "Midnight," but I would've liked more of it.
Midnight's Another Day: Okay, so people may like the demo better, but I put this song on today and literally felt a lump in my throat. Words cannot express how beautiful this song is. Another fine arrangement.
Going Home: My favorite up-tempo number of this song, a real rocker with a superb arrangement, especially the harmonica and Brian's gritty vocal. Accapella section couldn't be better. Fun, fun, fun, could've been on Love You
Southern California: My favorite song on the album, just an achingly beautiful song with my favorite arrangement of the album, especially the new bridge. Brilliant, and not too sugary as it easily could've been.

So I'm pretty positive on the album as the songwriting is strikingly consistant. Brian hasn't been this consistant since Adult/Child, and it shocks me that he could put together such an even and well-rounded album. BW88 had some great songs and vocals, but also had some detterents and so-so production. Imagination was a letdown with some nice things on it, but a letdown. GIOMH a mess with horrible vocals on most of the cuts. Finally, Brian has a consistant and, dare I say, it great album in all three main categories: vocals, backing tracks and songwriting.

But there's still a few negatives to me:
1. The mix is good on some songs ("Morning Beat," "Goin' Home," and "Southern California") but on the whole is too hot and compressed for my tastes, which is par for the course for today's productions. I still love the sound of the album, but it just gets too LOUD and FLASHY every now and then.
2. I would've liked a few more songs, and I know Brian had it in him. This feels a bit short, even if it was the live arrangement, I know I'll get shot down for this complaint but it'd still like another number or two.

So I'll give TLOS a 9 out of 10 due to a few flaws, but most of these songs have either melted my heart or got me off my feet. And it's been a long time since a new Brian album has done that.

7.8 is a very generous review for Pitchfork by the way.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2008, 06:43:52 PM »

Sorry I hadn't read the past page or so; I didn't notice you'd posted this before I posted it again.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2008, 02:45:22 PM »

Here's the link to my piece:

http://concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080904/ENTERTAINMENT/809040413/1014/ENTERTAINMENT

And that's that. Think I'll take a bit of a break now.
Swamp Pirate
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2008, 08:07:26 AM »

I've listened to TLOS constantly driving across the country and back over the last week and here's my two cents on it.

It's an easy 4 stars out of 5.  The 2nd most consistant Brian Wilson solo production (Smile being #1).  The songs I thought were kind of weak live (Mexican Girl, Oxygen) sound much better.  My only quibble with the recorded songs is that I preferred the chugging guitar in Going Home live vs. the finished production. 

The only other quibble I have with TLOS is that Brian's voice at times seems to be way out front.  Otherwise, the band's background vox are spot on.  I still contend that Midnight's Another Day is Brian's best song dating back to the mid-60's.  His vocals are strained at times yes but consistant with someone pushing his late 60's.  Not a distraction in the least.

All in all, nothing dishonest or omnious about TLOS.  It's a nice CD from an artist in the twilight of his career- a fitting coda to a long, long run and everything you could ask for in a Brian Wilson CD.
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2008, 08:31:25 AM »

Of course all of you fans realize (as I am duty-bound to realize too) that we are all wrong and that the whole thing stinks and sounds terrible.  See the "Compression and Clipping on TLOS" thread whereby we may all be enlightened.

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
Jim McShane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2008, 08:56:35 AM »

Of course all of you fans realize (as I am duty-bound to realize too) that we are all wrong and that the whole thing stinks and sounds terrible.  See the "Compression and Clipping on TLOS" thread whereby we may all be enlightened.

Hey, come on! That's a ridiculous statement to make. The music is one thing, the recording is entirely another issue. Some people can listen to anything in terms of recording quality. I (and MANY others apparently) can't. There are a lot of very level-headed long time fans/posters who find the sonics deplorable. Are we all wrong?

Why would you make a post like that after what you posted on the "Compression and Clipping on TLOS" thread?

Let me say this once again, so it doesn't get twisted around - I love the music. TLOS is 4.5 stars for me, there's nothing I don't like about it. Some parts are spectacular!

But the CD recording that was packaged with the DVD from Best Buy is the worst I've ever heard.
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2008, 09:07:25 AM »

Let's not go overboard.  Tongue is planted firmly in cheek.

It's just that I am struck by what seems like a lot of negativity on that other thread going beyond the mastering issue (which, judging by yours and Andrew's comments, appears to be where things went wrong).   Then I come here and on this thread everyting's rapturous.  Just a bit of a disconnect.

If you've read Michael Fremer's rants in Stereophile or www.musicangle.com, you know he's been on this issue for years.  And it is indeed an effort to "listen past" a super-heavy compressed master to enjoy what otherwise would be great music.  See Fountains of Wayne's "Traffic and Weather" for an even more egregious recent example.

PS: Now go look back at the original thread after our exchange there!  Another guy loves the sound of it, another guy hates it.  See what I mean?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 10:01:04 AM by Dr. Tim » Logged

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx