gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:56:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is There A Reason Why...(SMiLE Related)?  (Read 3874 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2008, 10:09:52 AM »

...everytime the boys decided to release some piece of SMiLE material on albums other than Smiley Smile, they put it (or them) at the very end of an album?
I give you:
'Mama Says' on Wild Honey;
'Cool Cool Water' on Sunflower;
'Our Prayer' and 'Cabinessence' on 20/20;
'Surf's Up' on Surf's Up.

To me this does not look like coincidence. Was it Mike's doing?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 10:16:28 AM »

It's to ensure a strong ending, I'm sure.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 10:30:45 AM »

I grant you this idea, but I also thought perhaps the others wanted to 'hide the pearls a bit' so to speak? I find '20/20' a lovely odds 'n' ends album, which, to this listener, totally unexpectedly ends with great art. It could easily slip the occasional listener in a booth completely by, in other words.

John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 11:17:59 AM »

I dunno, no-one wants their album to just dribble to a lame end. I'd say it was the opposite of hiding them, that there was a pride there - saving the best for last.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 11:23:08 AM »

I dunno, no-one wants their album to just dribble to a lame end. I'd say it was the opposite of hiding them, that there was a pride there - saving the best for last.

OK - you win!  Smiley

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 11:36:34 AM »

Always thought that.

Heroes and Vibes both occupy track 1 position either side on Smiley, but that I've always put down to them being the singles and therefore the strongest way to start an LP side, like Pet Sounds' sides started with WIBN and GOK.

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 11:46:13 AM »

Always thought that.

Heroes and Vibes both occupy track 1 position either side on Smiley, but that I've always put down to them being the singles and therefore the strongest way to start an LP side, like Pet Sounds' sides started with WIBN and GOK.

By the way, do you realize that we could win a potential war with the intelligent 'second language' we have developed? A bit like the British 'Enigma' machine, only better.
Like this:

Wee Helper to Bicycle Rider: 'Move over. Take the WIBN and GOK positions, quick! But does TLOS have a swirl? Tell me!'
BR to WH: 'No, Orange or Rainbow. Now choose SOT 16 # 9 and take the hint at 25" from the start. Don't skip, don't err! And then full blast at 110o East of Java!'

I think it could be done...

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 12:13:03 PM »

Never noticed that! I'm sure with Surf's Up and Cool Water it is to give the album a strong ending a John points out.

Not so sure about 20/20 and Wild Honey. Our prayer and Cabinessence at the end seems a bit odd to me on 20/20. I think these two Smile cuts have too strong an identity to place them at the beginning of the album i.e. they would suggest the album's heading in a direction that it just can't sustain, and so the end probably makes more sense.

Mama says just seems like a throwaway, jokey ending on WH. I must admit, I always find it a bit of an anti climax as I love Wild Honey but it fits the general humorous mood of the album. I certainly wouldn't call it a strong ending though.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 12:31:25 PM »

I can think of two reasons:

1. The "SMiLE" tracks were years older than all the other tracks so they really didn't belong on those albums. So I can imagine that the group wanted to put them at the end because they didn't want to interrupt the 'flow' of the newer songs.
2. Maybe they saw them more or less as 'bonus tracks'.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 12:38:11 PM »

I can think of two reasons:

1. The "SMiLE" tracks were years older than all the other tracks so they really didn't belong on those albums. So I can imagine that the group wanted to put them at the end because they didn't want to interrupt the 'flow' of the newer songs.
2. Maybe they saw them more or less as 'bonus tracks'.

Hmmm... I am quite partial to that bonus tracks suggestion. Because the group wasn't very productive in terms of LP lengths then, I think 'Friends' clocks in under half an hour, 'Wild Honey' isn't long either, and '20/20' IMHO is sort of a collection of songs intended as singles, and adds a few good Dennis tunes (including the alleged Manson collaboration 'Never Learn...'). Perhaps padding out at the end looked like the best practical idea at hand.

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 01:51:29 PM »

Never Learn isn't an alleged collaboration - it's a Manson song (he recorded it for LIE, didn't he - as cease to exist?).

another reason to put the SMile songs at the end - What could come after them?  They are intense and epic kind of songs, any song after them would be anticlimactic.  Mama Says wouldn't fit that however - it could have been used as the last presong, a humorous interlude leading up to a big epic song - but there weren't really any songs like that on Wild Honey.  Mama Says should have been on Smiley - it would have fit right into the SMiley vibe.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 02:32:28 PM »

By the way, do you realize that we could win a potential war with the intelligent 'second language' we have developed? A bit like the British 'Enigma' machine, only better.
Like this:

Wee Helper to Bicycle Rider: 'Move over. Take the WIBN and GOK positions, quick! But does TLOS have a swirl? Tell me!'
BR to WH: 'No, Orange or Rainbow. Now choose SOT 16 # 9 and take the hint at 25" from the start. Don't skip, don't err! And then full blast at 110o East of Java!'

I think it could be done...

Couldn't help but notice there's no "TWOTS" in this language...

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 04:30:03 PM »

I've always thought that Can't Wait Too Long would've been a perfect ending to Wild Honey, thus going right along with a Smile themed song ending an album. I would include Sail Plane, A Time to Live in Dreams, Lonely Days and Old Man River on Friends.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 04:49:43 PM »

A Time to Live in Dreams wasn't recorded until after Friends was released. Also, no one knew about it until they were compiling Hawthorne CA.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 05:01:21 PM »

Yeah, aren't all of those except Lonely Days more 20/20 outtakes?
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 05:05:35 PM »

Cool Cool Water, a Wild Honey outtake, would have fit nicely on Friends - like next to Diamond Head?
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 02:16:01 AM »

Cool Cool Water, a Wild Honey outtake, would have fit nicely on Friends - like next to Diamond Head?

Completely agree. You are a man of exquisite taste.

BTW: it took me some time to figure out what TWOTS stands for, comrade...

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 05:27:12 AM »

I think at least after the first few years, the Beach Boys realized what an incredible album it would have been, and with Brian's involvement declining, I think they saw putting these tracks on the end of the album as kind of a statement of leaving people wanting more.  Kind of trying to give the impression "Look what could have been!" and then sadly there's only the one song, leaving you wondering as the album winds out in the groove.  If they put the songs in the middle of the album, they wouldn't have that lasting impression that the last song gives you... so not only are the songs quality, I think they were trying to help the legend a little bit by putting the songs in a prominent, last on the album position.   

As my evidence for this, if you listen to the way they talked about the album, it changed as time went by and turned into a respect for it.  Not always, but even Mike on the concert album is saying "many years ago, we recorded an album called SMiLE.... which is coming out.... any time now" or whatever he says.  I think even Mike began to appreciate those songs. 

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 06:57:11 AM »

I think at least after the first few years, the Beach Boys realized what an incredible album it would have been, and with Brian's involvement declining, I think they saw putting these tracks on the end of the album as kind of a statement of leaving people wanting more.  Kind of trying to give the impression "Look what could have been!" and then sadly there's only the one song, leaving you wondering as the album winds out in the groove.  If they put the songs in the middle of the album, they wouldn't have that lasting impression that the last song gives you... so not only are the songs quality, I think they were trying to help the legend a little bit by putting the songs in a prominent, last on the album position.   

As my evidence for this, if you listen to the way they talked about the album, it changed as time went by and turned into a respect for it.  Not always, but even Mike on the concert album is saying "many years ago, we recorded an album called SMiLE.... which is coming out.... any time now" or whatever he says.  I think even Mike began to appreciate those songs. 

Good thinking. Which fits with the various attempts to release the complete album (1971, 1989, 1997 are certain 'projected' SMiLE issue years - I still have a MOJO from 1997 which announced in its 'soon to be released' section a 3-CD 'SMiLE' box, following up on the Pet Sounds Sessions).

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 02:31:58 PM »

A lot of the songs work really well as closers even without the mythology. Cabinessence and Surf's Up particularly.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2008, 03:43:15 AM »

I think it was Carl's doing since he used to sequence the albums (if I remember correctly).
Also - after they went 'democratic' there was a tendency to have different members opening the albums (1969-73) -
almost in rotation!(?)

Comics/cartooniés
(Fun Fun FUNniés)/Graphic NOVELties
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx