gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681551 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 12, 2024, 06:44:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dodgy CD packaging - Meh!  (Read 4857 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2008, 06:46:21 AM »

I came upon this idea after trying to answer Brother John in his Past Masters thread. More and more I grew disenchanted by the bad packaging of CDs over the last years. Notable examples:

Bruce Springsteen: 'Seeger Sessions', and 'Magic'. It's nigh on impossible to keep the CDs in pristine condition for they are packaged in stiff cardboard sleeves without the 'rosette' in the middle.
Kate Bush: 'Aerial': same.

...and many other digipacks have such a weak rosette that it breaks after a couple of times of usage, and you can't replace them.

Why don't manufacturers realize that CDs can be scratched and rendered unplayable?

I like the jewel case, esp. the modern ones with rounded edges. Why change a winning idea?

Meh!

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
SG7
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 06:50:13 AM »

Reminds me of the way Stereolab did packaging for their album Switched on Vol. 2. Came in freakin' cardboard and had to almost rip the artwork just to get the CD out!!  Angry
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 07:08:45 AM »

Reminds me of the way Stereolab did packaging for their album Switched on Vol. 2. Came in freakin' cardboard and had to almost rip the artwork just to get the CD out!!  Angry

That's what I mean! Most times you have the choice between either scrathing the CD the first time, or tearing the sleeve apart to keep the album pristine. And I don't like to buy new jewel cases and put the platters apart from the sleeves. My anal obsessions overrule all of these 'solutions'.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 07:25:21 AM »

Why would the manufacturer be concerned with you destroying the cd?  If anything, they would WANT you to scratch the cd so that you'd buy another one. 
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 09:12:06 AM »

Why would the manufacturer be concerned with you destroying the cd?  If anything, they would WANT you to scratch the cd so that you'd buy another one. 

I see. You live in a free market economy. Is your family name Friedman perchance?

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 11:03:42 AM »

That's just silly. You wouldn't buy another one if it was in the same shoddy packaging, because then you'd end up scratching that one, too.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 11:37:48 AM »

That's just silly. You wouldn't buy another one if it was in the same shoddy packaging, because then you'd end up scratching that one, too.

Good scientific reasoning.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 06:25:35 PM »

If the package was nice, you would never buy another one.

If the package scratches the cd, a percentage of people would buy another one.

If they make a cheap package, it saves them money, plus possibly makes them more money when you possibly buy another one.

This isn't hard to figure out, folks. 
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 05:21:17 AM »

I make an copy of every CD I buy. Then I only play the copies. Works pretty well.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 05:52:59 AM »

I make an copy of every CD I buy. Then I only play the copies. Works pretty well.

I must admit I pondered this idea for a while. But it got too immense for me... and the whole idea of putting the originals in a locked cupboard and playing only copies is psychologically untenable for me. Only imagine hearing just before your death that originals DO sound markedly better than copies (some hifi-buffs maintain this and make a case for it by explaining copying into organic dye CDRs).
But, of course, everyone's free, and I won't ridicule any idea. I am thinking about buying a stock of empty jewel cases and storing the 'sensitive' candidates in that way.

KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 05:53:09 AM »

BEWARE!!!!!!!! of those tight sleeves for the CDs in the new POB deluxe edition! One little grain of something gets in there and it'll wreck havoc on the discs.

Same thing happened with my Miles Davis: In A Silent Way/Bitches Brew Sessions!
Music Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 01:59:34 PM »

The digipacks for the Stones and Yes cd reissues I bought a few years back both have ringwear. The ones I have from Rhino from the Doors Bright Midnight archives series have held up well but the digipacks for those have a very glossy finish.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx