gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:31:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: That Lucky Old Sun - iTunes preorder + Bonus tracks  (Read 10351 times)
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2008, 10:17:34 PM »

Just checked iTunes this morning (Netherlands version) and That Lucky Old Sun is now available to preorder for €9.99.

There are 2 bonus tracks - 'Oh Mi Amor', and 'Message Man', as well as a video - 'Midnight's Another Day/Lucky Old Sun Reprise', and a digital booklet. All except the booklet are available for previewing.

Nice to see the folks responsible have put together an appealing digital-bundle.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 10:23:49 PM »

It's available on the US store for $11.99. There's also a nice looking pre-order page.
gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 12:03:53 AM »

Bonus tracks!  I nearly made water in my pants!  Definitely wasn't expecting this...

They both sound great, especially "Message Man".  That bass sounds killer.  Honestly, itunes just might be the way to go for Brian.  Every few months or so, just upload some demos as a mini EP.  If only he wasn't so out of touch technology-wise; imagine Brian with a synth and a laptop, crankin' out little slice of Bri-Life tunes.  Who cares if they're polished or not!

Back to the bonus tracks, anybody know anything about the origins of said tracks?

Geoff

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 12:26:05 AM »

Back to the bonus tracks, anybody know anything about the origins of said tracks?

Not sure, but maybe they are the ones that Brian wanted to add to That Lucky Old Sun but due to a lack of time to rehearse the songs it prevented them from being added? Or maybe they are the ones he wrote in Oz? Shrug
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 12:34:03 AM »

Wow I just checked those two bonus cuts and judging from the short 30 second clips they are really good!! What a shame they aren't on the regular CD/Vinyl releases.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 12:42:32 AM »

Wow I just checked those two bonus cuts and judging from the short 30 second clips they are really good!! What a shame they aren't on the regular CD/Vinyl releases.

Yeah and presumably you won't be able to buy these bonus tracks as standalones from Itunes, you'll have to get the whole album. That is a clever move by Itunes.

Is Messageman, anything to do with the track Beatleman, that BW said he'd wrote in his creative spree?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 12:47:55 AM »

Yeah and presumably you won't be able to buy these bonus tracks as standalones from Itunes, you'll have to get the whole album. That is a clever move by Itunes.

I sure hope not as I've already ordered the album (I would of regardless as I like to have the physical CD in my hands) and I don't want to buy it all again. I know it says "Full album only" but maybe that is just while it is only available as a pre-order? So hopefully when it is officially released on iTunes then they will allow you to buy each individual track?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 05:27:51 AM »

Oh Mi Amor sounds great, wish it made the abum.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 10:45:10 AM »

Oh Mi Amor sounds like it could be on Imagination, even Brian's voice. I think you are going to have to buy the whole album in order to get these songs, though. Sad

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 11:07:18 AM »

I bought Alice Cooper's new album on CD a couple of weeks ago, and then paid €2 on iTunes for their exclusive bonus tracks.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 11:12:21 AM »

Well, I just checked, and with Along Came a Spider, you can buy each track separately. You can't do that with TLOS.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 05:11:24 PM »

There will also be 2 bonus tracks with Carol King on the Best Buy CD Only version. 

The bonus tracks thing is starting to be really irritating.  I have pre-ordered the vinyl & CD/DVD version, and will not have any of the 4 bonus tracks that are available out there.

I know that I will probably be able to find them, or get someone to rip them and email them to me, but is it any wonder that fans want to download the stuff for free so that they don't have to buy 4 versions of a single album to get all the songs.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 05:55:04 PM »

The bonus tracks are meant to drive people to the stores -- or to the iTunes store, too. The latest McCartney album had some of this, too. There was a different bonus track for each of like four or five retailers.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 06:00:16 PM »

I think it's foolish of artists to have different agreements for bonus tracks with different retailers: even esteemed artists are asking for illegal file-sharing by doing that. I'd bet most real fans of artists will shell out extra bucks for an album version with bonus material ... but three, four? That's asking a lot. (Kind of like Bob Dylan asking an extra $100 for his upcoming rarities/unreleased album because of a live disc and a book.) Regarding those named bonus songs, by the way, I believe both titles were given back when Brian's camp initially announced a new album, pre-TLOS announcement but after or during his and Scott's writing sessions. There was at that time mention of a ballad to be sung in Spanish.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 06:16:55 PM »

They don't do bonus tracks so you'll buy several albums.  They do bonus tracks to persuade you that THAT's the best place to get the album.

For instance, Best Buy probably promised him that they'll put his cd featured in their weekly mailer that week, they'll place it on the new release rack, and they'll order x amount of copies if he'll let them have two bonus tracks nobody else has. 

It makes complete sense for artists to do that.  They get extra promotion out of it from some of the biggest retailers in the world, and Best Buy gets the opportunity to have an exclusive package that will keep people from buying the cd at wal mart. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 06:18:37 PM »

It makes great sense to cut such a deal with one retailer. But different deals with different bonus tracks with different retailers is ridiculous.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 08:20:13 PM »

It makes great sense to cut such a deal with one retailer. But different deals with different bonus tracks with different retailers is ridiculous.

Hang on, am I missing something? I thought there was just the two bonus tracks that were available at the iTunes store? There isn't any others are there? Where does it say this? I'm confused Huh
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 08:26:19 PM »

I believe the proper spelling is confussed...  LOL  As for multiple versions, I wasn't referring specifically to Brian. Claymcc said McCartney had done different bonus tracks with different retailers. Although with Brian, we have seen two titles for bonus tracks on iTunes, and heard there are two tracks with Carole King on the Best Buy version. Are they the same two bonus tracks? I don't know.

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2008, 08:35:39 PM »

I believe the proper spelling is confussed...  LOL  As for multiple versions, I wasn't referring specifically to Brian. Claymcc said McCartney had done different bonus tracks with different retailers. Although with Brian, we have seen two titles for bonus tracks on iTunes, and heard there are two tracks with Carole King on the Best Buy version. Are they the same two bonus tracks? I don't know.

Well yes I am a bit confussed Tongue But only because I am a bit annoyed that I bought the album (with the DVD) and then I found out there are all of  these different versions with bonus tracks!! I was just confused because I went to the Best Buy CD only version and it said nothing about Carole King (as far as I could see) but it did have a "Best Buy Exclusive" mentioned on the page. So I was just wondering where it says anything about Carole King?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2008, 08:37:00 PM »

About half a dozen posts up in this thread is where I saw anything re King (other than previous word of them working together).

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2008, 08:43:39 PM »

About half a dozen posts up in this thread is where I saw anything re King (other than previous word of them working together).

Okay thanks Luther, I will wait and see if anyone else can find anything in regards to these King tracks. I was thinking that maybe people got confused and the user above who mentioned these King bonus tracks just meant that there was bonus tracks on a Carole King CD? I know they said "2 bonus tracks with Carol King" but maybe they were just being confusing? Wink
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2008, 10:31:59 PM »

I think one of the Carole King tracks will surely be the original version of "Good Kind of Love".

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2008, 10:55:13 PM »

How is it rediculous?  If I were Brian, I'd cut dozens of deals with different retailers.  Every single one of them is going to sweeten the deal and give him something in return that will ultimately help the album be successful.  How can you complain as a fan that he's putting out even more music?  Is your position honestly that you'd prefer him to only give away 2 bonus tracks as compared to 6 or 8 or however many he's done?  The more the merrier!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2008, 10:57:46 PM »

Well yes I am a bit confussed Tongue But only because I am a bit annoyed that I bought the album (with the DVD) and then I found out there are all of  these different versions with bonus tracks!!

I never understood why people preorder anyways.  Especially stuff like this... all you have to do is the day it comes out, drive to the store and buy one.  It's not going to sell out the first day.  There's always extra stuff if you buy it at certain stores... so why preorder?  It's even cheaper to buy it at best buy than to order it. 

Now the Vinyl I can kind of understand, it might be hard to find, etc etc but a cd?  They're everywhere!
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2008, 02:29:21 AM »

Well yes I am a bit confussed Tongue But only because I am a bit annoyed that I bought the album (with the DVD) and then I found out there are all of  these different versions with bonus tracks!!

I never understood why people preorder anyways.  Especially stuff like this... all you have to do is the day it comes out, drive to the store and buy one.  It's not going to sell out the first day.  There's always extra stuff if you buy it at certain stores... so why preorder?  It's even cheaper to buy it at best buy than to order it. 

Now the Vinyl I can kind of understand, it might be hard to find, etc etc but a cd?  They're everywhere!

Well in Australia a lot of stuff ain't out in stores when it first comes out. The Dennis CD was only available if you ordered it in for example.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx