gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 07:33:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Listen to this interesting BW documentary on the BBC  (Read 2375 times)
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: August 26, 2008, 09:48:20 PM »

Its here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00d3l3w

I don't know if you need to download iPlayer or anything, don't think so. Listen to Jeff Foskett at around ten mins.

Rah for the Beeb!

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 12:50:08 AM »

Graham Nash at one point discusses how CSN got their vocal blend on the first album by all singing round a single mike (i.e. recording the vocals in mono). The documentary illustrates this by playing 'Helplessly Hoping' - the one track on the album which has the vocals recorded in stereo!!
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 02:42:28 AM »

While I did enjoy this programme, it was disconcerting to learn that the presenter thinks Brian's new albm is "Old Lucky Sun"...and there was at least one other similar mistake in a song title.

It was good to hear an hour's worth of radio - on the UK's most popular station no less - devoted to a serious attempt to explain and describe Brian's production techniques and how they developed. Naturally about 45 minutes was given to the period 1963-1966, and I understand an extended version airs on a digital BBC station on Saturday where they will examine God Only Knows in detail.

endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 12:22:22 PM »

I enjoyed Jeff's dissection of the harmonies on "Warmth of the Sun."  I know very little about that stuff and it was informative. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 02:25:29 PM »

I'm about 20 minutes in. While I wouldn't call it revelatory (so far, at least), it's really enjoyable, and with an emphasis on music. I love it: how the harmonies were built, how parts fit, how sessions were run, etc.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Bill Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 03:42:21 PM »

Yup I listened to it as broadcast.

Brian mentioned that he wrote 'Sail On Sailor' with Ray Kennedy (No VDP or Jack Rieley mentioned) and that he played keyboards on it. Ok..it's Brian etc.... Bruce and David Marks were the only other BB's interviewed for the programme. Other contributors included Hal Blaine, Carol Kaye, Steve Levine, George Martin, Jeff Foskett, Graeme Nash and Bones Howe (Jan & Dean engineer).

Jeff's deconstruction of the vocal harmony arrangements on 'Warmth of the Sun' were most interesting.

Cool

I guess I've got a way with girls
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 03:59:35 PM »

Thanks for the heads up on this. It was a really interesting listen.  3D
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx