gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:32:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: TLOS on vinyl  (Read 24049 times)
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 27, 2008, 03:35:14 AM »

No Mark Linett...hmm...

Mark was there. He's mentioned in the credits as engineer.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: August 27, 2008, 06:08:40 AM »

Argos in dublin had a great deal on a bush turntable for 40 euro last week. maybe still do

I got my Vinyl today, my local Tower Records here in Ireland only had 2 of 10 copies left after two days.

Sadly I don't have a turntable, so I might frame it or something.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 27, 2008, 06:24:28 AM »

What is that last little bit on the album after Southern California? I love it - it reminds me of something from Fairy tale Music. I guess it's just a variation on the TLOS theme but you almost wish it'd been worked up into a song.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 27, 2008, 06:58:33 AM »

Argos in dublin had a great deal on a bush turntable for 40 euro last week. maybe still do

I got my Vinyl today, my local Tower Records here in Ireland only had 2 of 10 copies left after two days.

Sadly I don't have a turntable, so I might frame it or something.

wow, I thought turntables went for hundreds these days because there rare or something.

I'll definitely look into that.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 27, 2008, 07:31:34 AM »

I've said it before on the subject of concepts, and I'll say it again. One of the reason TLOS works is that a basic germ of the concept is implicit in the songs. It's already there.

Think about it. You have Brian working up a batch of tunes that are about the morning (Morning Beat, Oxygen) and the night (Midnight's Another Day, Goin' Home). He also happens to be playing an old standard called "That Lucky Old Sun." It's not a stretch at all to put two and two together and say hey -- let's make this album about the journey of the sun across the sky from morning to night.

Brian had also come up with the title "Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl," so a nostalgic element came into play. That meant that the "day" of the album could also be interpreted as Brian's life -- from start, through rough times, into a rocking dotage.

The final bit is the addition of the stuff about California and LA. It might not have been Brian's idea, but it's certainly something he's familiar with -- and has sung about many times before. So you just locate the sun's journey in Hollywoodland. Have Van Dyke write some narratives, tweak some lyrics -- voila!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: August 27, 2008, 11:05:58 AM »

What is that last little bit on the album after Southern California? I love it - it reminds me of something from Fairy tale Music. I guess it's just a variation on the TLOS theme but you almost wish it'd been worked up into a song.

when they did it live over here last year, they did this little bit during the first set as a taster. It's also worked into one of the songs of TLOS.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 27, 2008, 01:16:41 PM »

wow, I thought turntables went for hundreds these days because there rare or something.

I'll definitely look into that.

There are currently over one hundred manufacturers of turntables. They range from el cheapo "retro looking record player with built in CD player" via cheap add-ons for mini systems up to models costing many thousands....something for every pocket.

I've no idea how good or bad the ION USB turntable is....personally I find it no hassle to hook the "tape out" from my amp into the PC....I mean....its really difficult.....one plug  LOL

I had occasion to floor my teenage nieces recently by playing them some Queen from vinyl. They were familiar with the music, but had never heard vinyl before...
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 27, 2008, 01:19:06 PM »

I just had a random thought reading a post above.

TLOS....if anything the concept is as much nostalgia as much as it is LA. And as such it will have a positive emotional effect on anyone who tends to be nostalgic.

"Brian Wilson invites you to find the heartbeat in LA"
tonysurf
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 27, 2008, 01:39:37 PM »

I was going to wait until the 2nd, but couldnt help myself and had a couple of listens to the streaming version - Wow, let's face it, this is a really good album! I cant find anything really wrong with it and even the weakest song (Mexican Girl seems to be the consensus) is still very enjoyable.

The concept, as has been discussed, really works - the Nostalgia, Americana, Brians life story, whatever you want to read into it - to me, this album sits very nicely with SMiLE, Song Cycle, Orange Crate Art - definitely Brians wheelhouse! there's endless debate about how much is Wilson/Bennett/Darian whatever - lets face it Brian always had been better with some quality support - Asher, Van Dyke, the wrecking crew, Mike Love, Paley t's true here, he has the support and musicianship available to him that he needs. I love some of the unexpected progressions/arrangements - to me, the chord voicings are classic Wilson (I remember reading how he likes just to make interesting shapes with his hands on the Piano and whatever chord that happens to be!)

Vocally very nice, I think Brian has made  real effort with his vocals from SMiLE/Christmas Album/TLOS (not so much with GIOMH, unfortunately) and the band vocals are as usual very good.

I think that most of us agree that anything BW does is more than we would expect at this stage, but with the output that he has come up with this past few years, Brians 60's may rival his 20's

You go Brian, nice job and thank you!

btw, does anyone else expect to hear "yummy carrot cookies are an organic treat" in "Oxygen to the Brain"?

anyway, as usual, the rare occasion that I post it turns out random and rambling, but I just had a great afternoon listening to TLOS while painting my house on a sunny afternoon in Maine!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 27, 2008, 04:06:32 PM »

I just had a random thought reading a post above.

TLOS....if anything the concept is as much nostalgia as much as it is LA. And as such it will have a positive emotional effect on anyone who tends to be nostalgic.

"Brian Wilson invites you to find the heartbeat in LA"

I think that is probably true. I know I can be a sentimental boob sometime and I can see how that would color my enjoyment of TLOS and vice versa if someone wasn't given to that sort of thing how they may not take the same level of enjoyment.
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 28, 2008, 04:08:36 AM »

btw, does anyone else expect to hear "yummy carrot cookies are an organic treat" in "Oxygen to the Brain"?

It's "Yummy carob cookies"

Carob is a nondairy, organic chocolate substitute.
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: August 28, 2008, 06:43:23 AM »

I'm puzzled on the last part of this lyric in "California Role"

"The best part of this -something- trip just might be the ride"

?

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 28, 2008, 06:53:32 AM »

I'm puzzled on the last part of this lyric in "California Role"

"The best part of this -something- trip just might be the ride"

?

"The best part of this L.A. trip just might be the ride"

Now then, what about the third verse in "Forever My Surfer Girl" which isn't printed on the sleeve?

"We'll never say goodbye, la-la-la-la-la-la??"

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 28, 2008, 08:51:37 AM »

I thought it was "We'll never say goodbye where the horizon lies" or some such.
tonysurf
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 28, 2008, 09:26:59 AM »

Yeah I guess I'd never seen a carrot cookie anyway! thanks! now I'm trying to think what song thats from anyway!! (H.E.L.P is on the way??)
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 28, 2008, 10:58:03 AM »

Yep.
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 28, 2008, 12:36:00 PM »

I thought it was "We'll never say goodbye where the horizon lies" or some such.

Horizon line / lines ?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: August 28, 2008, 12:53:39 PM »

Yeah I guess I'd never seen a carrot cookie anyway! thanks! now I'm trying to think what song thats from anyway!! (H.E.L.P is on the way??)

Not carrot - carob. (and yes, it's from "HELP").

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 28, 2008, 01:03:47 PM »

Not carrot - carob. (and yes, it's from "HELP").

[/quote]

Frankly, I'd rather have carrot cookies.  Carob=yuck.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 28, 2008, 01:32:28 PM »

when they did it live over here last year, they did this little bit during the first set as a taster. It's also worked into one of the songs of TLOS.

Thanks AGD. I like this little bit a lot!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 28, 2008, 01:53:10 PM »

I, for one, am definitely glad TLOS is treated as a "concept" album if only for the remarkable segue from "Midnight's Another Day" into that slow, sad reprise of the title track, the most exquisitely heartbreaking BW moment this side of "'Til I Die".
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx