gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680725 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 11:13:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TLOS on vinyl  (Read 24126 times)
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2008, 10:53:42 AM »

Just gave my copy a first spin on the turntable....

Beautiful!

And - indeed - Southern California got an extra verse + a bridge. Extra verse for Morning Beat as well. Not the case for Live Let Live though (contrary to some rumours)

Oooo, and a hidden track!! goodie.... (a short and a bit different reprise of the Rollin Round Heaven All Day)

Nice gatefold cover, all lyrics on the inner sleeve.
Beatles got Apple... well, TLOS has an orange on the label, nice touch.
Seeing the credits, Bob Lizik did do his bass-parts for the album. Jimmy was replaced by Todd Sucherman already though.

And excuse me for now, but I'm going for a second spin ...

EDIT: and this is WAY BETTER than the demo's (but that's my personal opinion of course), although I must admit I had expected more of the definite version of MAD. Somehow the backing vocals were more convincing when it was played live (as in: for me it had a better emotional effect). But it's still a great song, sounds much better than the streaming audio version of a few weeks back.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 12:35:15 PM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 11:08:50 AM »

Grr... Amazon hasn't even *shipped* my copy yet and here you are enjoying it, you lucky old something-or-other....     Razz

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 11:27:09 AM »

I'm hoping I'll be able to pick mine up on Monday.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 01:06:06 PM »

I'm hoping I'll be able to pick mine up on Monday.

How could you do that?

It's not out for a while I believe

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 01:13:00 PM »

CD/DVD is released in the 1st week of September. Vinyl 2 weeks earlier. Most countries monday 18th I think, but my local seller already warned me that I could probably pick it up Friday of Saturday... which turned out to be Saturday (obviously).

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 04:57:18 PM »

CD/DVD is released in the 1st week of September. Vinyl 2 weeks earlier. Most countries monday 18th I think, but my local seller already warned me that I could probably pick it up Friday of Saturday... which turned out to be Saturday (obviously).

Damn, I really should Invest in a turntable.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 08:30:02 PM »

Even though I have a turntable, I was really trying to hold out...throw that all out the window now  Cheesy

Anyone know which stores in the US will stock the vinyl?
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 08:35:55 PM »

Grr... Amazon hasn't even *shipped* my copy yet and here you are enjoying it, you lucky old something-or-other....     Razz

I'm in the same boat.  I pre-ordered from Elusive Disc and as of today it still hasn't shipped.  I guess getting it by the street date is out of the question.
Goin’Bald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 10:54:03 AM »

When I first heard TLOS live I had my doubts about the whole project. When I heard the demos a lot of my doubts faded, but now I've heard the LP I think it's amazing. MOJO calls it a "near classic", so my hopes were high. And I am not disappointed, on the contrary, I believe it's an album with strong songs and Brian's voice is better than ever. I smiled a couple of times of some "jokes" in the music (when there's a "hum" sung, you'll hear humming). There is lots to listen to in the music itself. And very energetic. I sure hope Capitol/EMI will promote the album like it deserves.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 12:37:57 AM »

Just out of curiosity, who is credited with writing Southern California on the album? Presumably, as it seems to be common knowledge that it's a solo Scott Bennett composition, then it is he who is credited as the composer, or is it credited to both he and Brian Wilson? Also, which lead vocals does Scott bennett take on the album? I imagine it's just the beginning to California Role as with the live performance?

Thanks

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 01:00:02 AM »

Just out of curiosity, who is credited with writing Southern California on the album? Presumably, as it seems to be common knowledge that it's a solo Scott Bennett composition, then it is he who is credited as the composer, or is it credited to both he and Brian Wilson? Also, which lead vocals does Scott bennett take on the album? I imagine it's just the beginning to California Role as with the live performance?

Thanks

I'm at work, so I can't say for 100% certain. But I think the credits go to both BW and Bennett.

And Scott's sole lead is on the beginning of California Role (like you assumed).

Will check when I'm home.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 06:01:54 AM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 01:31:58 AM »

Thanks

I'm at work, so I can't say for 100% certain. But I think the credits go to both BW and Bennett.

And Scott's sole lead is on the gebinning of California Role (like you assumed).

Thanks!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 03:35:03 AM »

Is the production credited to Brian alone?
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 03:44:40 AM »

Thanks

The notion that SC is solely a Bennett composition has been going around mostly since the demos leaked out.  In reality, SC originates from a BW composition that Scott reworked and reshaped, i.e, like he did for MAD.  But still a BW composition.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 04:18:25 AM »

Thanks

The notion that SC is solely a Bennett composition has been going around mostly since the demos leaked out.  In reality, SC originates from a BW composition that Scott reworked and reshaped, i.e, like he did for MAD.  But still a BW composition.

Thanks this is great news as I was disappointed that the last track on a Brian Wilson album was seemingly not written by the man himself. Out of curiosity how did you find this out, as many here seemed fairly convinced that SC was a solo Bennet composition?

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 07:38:52 AM »

AGD posted it a couple of days ago.

Music -- Wilson
Words -- Bennett
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2008, 08:55:47 AM »

Thanks

And Scott's sole lead is on the beginning of California Role (like you assumed).

Confirmed: credits to Wilson & Bennett. (like on almost every track)

Is the production credited to Brian alone?

Produced and arranged by Brian Wilson
Additional production: Scott Bennett.
Orchestral arrangements: Paul von Mertens
Additional arrangements: Darian Sahanaja and Scott Bennett
Engineered by Mark Linett
Assistant engineers: Aaron Walk and Paul Smith (at Capitol) and Kevin Mills (at Henson)
Mixed by Brian Wilson, Scott Bennett and Michael Corcoran
Mastered by Bob Ludwig (at Gateway Mastering Studio's, Portland, Maine)
Mastered for vinyl by Ron McMaster (at Capitol Mastering)

elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2008, 09:03:24 AM »

Has anyone seen a copy in-store anywhere in the Netherlands yet? I've phoned Kroese and a couple of others, and none of them seem to be getting it in.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2008, 09:10:46 AM »

Very cool info on Ron McMaster: http://www.capitolstudios.com/index.cfm?page=mcmaster

Bob Ludwig has his own Wikipedia, so you can read more about him there.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2008, 09:46:06 AM »

Has anyone seen a copy in-store anywhere in the Netherlands yet? I've phoned Kroese and a couple of others, and none of them seem to be getting it in.

Last Saturday King Kong Records in Leeuwarden had an extra copy.

STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2008, 10:13:14 AM »

AGD posted it a couple of days ago.

Music -- Wilson
Words -- Bennett

No, that's what they want us to think. In reality it's not a clean cut, Scott did work on the music quite a bit.

buddhahat: I don't mean to pull an "AGD"  Razz  but I can only say that I have discussed this with someone involved with the album.

GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2008, 10:23:04 AM »

No, that's what they want us to think. In reality it's not a clean cut, Scott did work on the music quite a bit.

Who the foda cares who did what?  If it's anything like the demos and live shows, it's gonna be amazing... dare I say one of BW's best solos with some parts rivaling anything he's done since "Til I Die"

I'm rollin' 'round Heaven all day until I get my copy later this week

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2008, 11:21:34 AM »

Oooh....'sat mean that once you have your copy, you'll no longer be rollin' 'round heaven?

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2008, 11:32:37 AM »

Oooh....'sat mean that once you have your copy, you'll no longer be rollin' 'round heaven?

Touche, my friend... perhaps I should have said that I'm lost in the dark, no shades of gray, until the postman brings TLOS my way      LOL

-Dennis Wilson, 1970
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2008, 11:38:59 AM »

Last Saturday King Kong Records in Leeuwarden had an extra copy.

I've been there a few weeks ago for the first time. Very cool store. Too bad almost all the stores we had like that in Brabant dissapeared in the last few years...
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx