gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 05:25:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best Beach Boys / BW album NOT by the BB / BW  (Read 14248 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2008, 07:14:26 AM »

This topic has been rolling around my brain for a while.

But the Beach Boys (and Brian) -- more than any other band I can think of -- have produced many albums that are not actually by them. These range from basic tribute albums to collections of original songs done in the style of the BB/BW. The power of BW's songs, arrangements and production techniques have deeply touched many musicians -- and not in an abstract way. They create albums that can only be described as BB albums not by the BBs.

Examples? Oh, I have examples.

Caroline Now! -- Ostensible tribute, but also a loving exhumation of unreleased and rare tracks. "Go Away Boy" and "Lines" are both killer.

In Reverse (Matthew Sweet) -- Not entirely in BW style, but much of it is. Several tracks feature Carol Kaye and a wall-of-sound production style. Album-closer "Thunderstorm" is a dead ringer for "Rio Grande."

A Tribute to Brian Wilson (Box o' Clox) -- A tribute album, but (like Caroline Now) almost entirely avoiding hits in favor of rarities. Producer-arranger-singer Cameron Michael Parkes plays loving little musical tricks throughout the album. Backing tracks can be a bit thin at times, but vocals are excellent.

Hawaii (The High Llamas) -- Basically an exercise in crossing the sonic landscape of "Smile" with lounge-Bacharach-exotica stylings. Less revered now than at the time of its release (it caught Bruce Johnston's ear), but Sean O'Hagan takes the style to a new place.

Wondermints, Bali, Mind If We Make Love to You (The Wondermints) -- These albums get in by default. They're less slavish than some, and Darian and co. have the songwriting chops and attitude. A somewhat slicker sound than you might expect if you only know them from their work with Brian.

Present Tense (Sagittarius) -- Most of this Gary Usher-Curt Boettcher album is light, folk-tinged pop. But "My World Fell Down" is a dead ringer for PS-Smile era BB.

Tributes and Rarities (Jeff Foskett) -- A cop out pick, but this is the only Foskett album I own. The man can sing like nobody's business. "Through My Window" and a few other tracks are pitch-perfect replications of the group's vocal and production sound.

Diamonds on the Beach (John Hunter Phillips) -- Perhaps too exact a tribute album, but his voice is consistently lovely.

The Warmth of the Sun -- A compilation of "inspired by" tunes, featuring Foskett, Alan Boyd, Sagittarius, etc. A lovely sampling, and one that bolsters this post -- people enjoy working "in the style of."

Making God Smile -- Another tribute, this one Christ-inspired. Some feel this is the best of the tributes, but it's never quite convinced me. Nice versions of some latter-day Brian tunes, though ("Your Imagination," "Love and Mercy," "Lay Down Burden.")

Freedom Wind (The Explorers Club) -- This album came out three months ago and is astonishing. All of the songs are originals, but this is perhaps the closest approximation of the "Today" Beach Boys sounds (both songwriting and production) that I have ever heard. Add in some Pet Sounds, Wild Honey, Friends -- and you have this album. Shockingly good -- and the BW camp has taken notice. Foskett is thanked in the notes, and Darian and Nelson played with them at a recent show (they stayed at Darian's house). If you like this kind of thing -- BB albums not by the BBs -- get this album. It's perhaps the finest of all of these.

Stuff I haven't heard (but would like to)

Channel Surfing (Alan Boyd)
More Foskett
California Project (Papa Doo Run Run)
Long Promised Road: Songs of Dennis & Carl Wilson
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 07:29:40 AM by claymcc » Logged
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 07:19:04 AM »

I said this back in 1996 when it came out, and will say it again

Through My Window by Jeff Foskett is the best Beach Boys album the Beach Boys never made

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 08:12:52 AM »

I said this back in 1996 when it came out, and will say it again

Through My Window by Jeff Foskett is the best Beach Boys album the Beach Boys never made

Well...I wouldn't go so far as to say the Beach Boys never made the SONGS -- most of the songs are clearly, uhh..."borrowed" from other Beach Boys songs:
"Thru My Window" --> "I Know There's An Answer"
"Dancing Girl" --> "California Girls"
"Weekend" --> "I Get Around"

etc...and there's even a song called "Keepin' The Summer Alive," which has almost identical lyrics to the BB version but a different melody...

I do find "FISH" to be kinda weird, though...I once asked Jeff, "What's the deal with 'FISH'?" He said the label asked him to put it on the album because it was a hit in Japan or something, but the words are...well...odd...almost a Troy McClure thing going, if you know what I mean...

My personal favorite, though, is Net Sounds 4: Ear Candy.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 09:22:26 AM »

I do find "FISH" to be kinda weird, though...I once asked Jeff, "What's the deal with 'FISH'?" He said the label asked him to put it on the album because it was a hit in Japan or something, but the words are...well...odd...almost a Troy McClure thing going, if you know what I mean...

I've got to hear this! LOL
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 10:38:28 AM »

Chris Rainbow should be mentioned here. He did three albums which are worth picking up
Home of the Brave (1975), Looking Over my Shoulder (1978), White Trails (1979)
If you like the stuff on Sunflower, these are the albums to look for (especially Shoulder). He did also many 45s for the Polydor Label in the UK with non-album B-sides - all worth looking for. Later on he was one of the singers for Alan Parsons Project.

Watson, did you hear this?
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 10:58:52 AM »

I can't be the only one who thinks this, but if the rest of the BBs had supported Brian in making Smile (and weirder stuff beyond), I bet by 1968, Friends would have sounded a lot more like Animal Collective's 'Sung Tongs' album.

Who Could Win a Rabbit is like a modern Heroes & Villains (yes, i know it's not on Friends...). Instead of 'I've been in this town so long....' we get 'lonely bread and butter hustle, you've been doing it for a while...' Very VDParksian to my ears.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 11:00:34 AM by Loaf » Logged
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 03:27:50 PM »

Good call on Chris Rainbow.

My favorite tribute is still Smiling Pets. Didn't care for the Making God Smile CD too much (though I liked the Terri Taylor version of "Vegetables".... Taylor being a genius and all). Caroline Now! was as dry and boring as I could imagine.

The Explorers Club album was okay. I was hoping for something more unique, like what the Raveonettes did with the Spector sound.

Her Wallpaper Reverie by Apples in Stereo and Black Foliage Vol. 1 by Olivia Tremor Control were probably the closest approximations to the Smile bootleg mythology, only with original songs. Myself, I love Fleetwood Mac's Tusk and the High Llamas's Hawaii albums. They might be sprawling and overly-ambitious, but each hit the spot. I can still put them on and let the mood wash over me. All the little electronic experiments on Hawaii... all the little one-minute Buckingham songs on Tusk... those were truly inspired by the Beach Boys, without being direct copy-cats. I personally hear just as much Steely Dan on the early High Llamas albums, as I do Beach Boys. And their later albums have a lot more variant influences, from free-jazz to bossa-nova to Shuggie Otis. The High Llamas got pigeonholed, but undeservedly so. "Bacaroo" from their latest LP is just gorgeous.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 08:01:09 PM »

I hate the Explorer's Club. All of their songs are just ripoffs of specific Beach Boys songs. I hope Mike Love sues them.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 08:27:54 PM »

Sorry, the Explorers Club is brilliant. And it's patently ridiculous to say all the songs on their album rip off specific Beach Boys tunes, because it's just not true. There are definitely lifts here and there (and an outright rewrite of "I Do") but I find them delightful.

I can understand they're not to everyone's taste, but why the hate? And before you say it's because they're covering old ground, remember this is a board that obsesses over 40-year-old session tapes.
Wilsonista
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 08:38:15 PM »

I bet if EP's bass player posted here more often than he does on Ian's board a lot of you would be changing your tune.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 09:00:12 PM »

There's a difference between making a song that sounds like the Beach Boys and making a song that sounds like "It's OK". And are they charging people for this? Making money of their ripoffs? That's just wrong.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 09:28:17 PM »

Well, perhaps it's wrong for Brian to charge money for his Phil Spector rip-offs. Or for Jan Berry to charge for his Brian Wilson rip offs.

Or, perhaps it was wrong for Brian to claim sole writer credit for a song that was "Sweet Little 16" by Chuck Berry with different lyrics.

Rip-offs have a noble and notable place in the BB/BW canon. And let's see how Brian feels about the Explorers:

"Brian Wilson called me a few weeks ago," Brewer says. "He said how much he loves our group. ... If the guy who I'm faithfully ripping off likes what I do, I don't care what other people say."
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 10:54:28 AM by claymcc » Logged
mrski
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 09:36:47 PM »

On the positive side:

The "Malibooz Rule" Lp from the early 80s... Like the BBoys with slightly more of an edge. Tracks of particular note being:

'308' ("she's real great my 3-0-8..."), and for alot of fun (although not too BBoys-like),
'Honey Dew (We Canteloupe)', where the name of the game appears to be to include as many names of fruit and vegetables as possible throughout the lyrics of the song! Dean Torrence makes a guest appearence on 'Sweet Surfin' Music' which is a classic.

I'd add to this 'The Best Of Ronnie & The Daytonas' CD on Sundazed. Get past all the surf and 'rod stuff (as good as it is) and tracks like 'Sandy' and 'When Stars Shine Bright' are a great listen in a more mature kind of way...

On the negative side:

'California Project' by Papa Do Run Run...  An attempt to recreate the BBoys sound and production... All clinically clean cover versions, sonically stripped of any emotion... Every song a BBoys cover. Yawn. Why bother...?

Several albums produced by Gary Usher after The BBoys had hit. (Heard one, you've heard them all... Well, almost...)

Plus any one of a number of Mike Love remakes, (excepting maybe 'Salute To Nascar' which I listen to on a semi-regular basis...)

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 09:54:18 PM »

Or, perhaps it was wrong for Brian to claim sole writer credit for a song that was "Sweet Little 16" by Chuck Berry with different lyrics.
It was wrong, and he got sued.

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 12:11:34 AM »

Did he get sued? I was pretty sure that there were threats and so the credit was changed to just "Chuck Berry" but then years later it was changed (rightfully) to "Berry/Wilson".
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2008, 12:14:02 AM »

On the negative side:

'California Project' by Papa Do Run Run...  An attempt to recreate the BBoys sound and production... All clinically clean cover versions, sonically stripped of any emotion... Every song a BBoys cover. Yawn. Why bother...?

I'm with you there Mr. Ski. That Papa Doo Run Run cover album is just lifeless. I have heard worse but it is just completely boring when you can just listen to the originals which are like 200 times better and have more energy and feeling in them

Anyway, I will add The Surfsiders. Come on, everyone has to love these guys LOL
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2008, 12:28:21 AM »

Did he get sued? I was pretty sure that there were threats and so the credit was changed to just "Chuck Berry" but then years later it was changed (rightfully) to "Berry/Wilson".
Yeah, you're right, Chuck Berry threatened to sue but they changed the credits.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2008, 01:57:46 AM »

I can't be the only one who thinks this, but if the rest of the BBs had supported Brian in making Smile (and weirder stuff beyond), I bet by 1968, Friends would have sounded a lot more like Animal Collective's 'Sung Tongs' album.

Who Could Win a Rabbit is like a modern Heroes & Villains (yes, i know it's not on Friends...). Instead of 'I've been in this town so long....' we get 'lonely bread and butter hustle, you've been doing it for a while...' Very VDParksian to my ears.

Right on - Sung Tongs, and Person Pitch are probably the closest thing we have to new albums that capture the spirit of wacked out, unapologetic Smile-era Brian. I'd take the AC over Explorer's Club any day. Never thought of the lyrics to rabbit in that context though - interesting observation, Loaf.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
harveyw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 04:29:54 AM »

I hate the Explorer's Club. All of their songs are just ripoffs of specific Beach Boys songs. I hope Mike Love sues them.

There are some good songs on the LP, but is it just me, or is this LP absolutely covered in auto-tune? The chorus of "Do You Love Me" is like listening to a robot singing. Horrible.

My vote goes to Foskett's "Thru' My Window" too. "Fish" is a total classic.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2008, 07:28:11 AM »

More like "(rightfully) to Berry/Bowles/Wilson," no???

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2008, 08:00:35 AM »

Well, my point was that that a lot of the BB/BW legacy is built on on the borrowing of others' sounds (Spector, Four Freshmen, Berry) -- and sometimes outright theft. So that criteria alone shouldn't be used to discount an album. But your mileage may vary.

But getting back to the point -- this thread is titled "Best Beach Boys / BW album NOT by the BB / BW." Saying any group mentioned here is unoriginal is missing the point. This is all about unoriginality!

That being said, I have a couple of albums to add:

The Soft Bulletin (Flaming Lips) -- Did someone say autotune? An opulently produced album with a wounded heart -- very BW.
Symphonic Tribute to Brian Wilson (Gary Usher) -- Easy listening B-dub. But tasteful.

And I really need to check out that Animal Collective record.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2008, 08:55:56 AM »

More like "(rightfully) to Berry/Bowles/Wilson," no???

For what Mike has occassionally said, perhaps it should be "Berry/Bowles/Wilson/Love". :D

It's only one song, but I rather like Weird Al's "Pancreas".

I think it'd be a gas for Brian to record the best 12 "Brian Wilson" ripoffs, like the master acknowledging the student. You could call the album "Child Is Father Of The Man".
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2008, 09:07:06 AM »

The Soft Bulletin (Flaming Lips) -- Did someone say autotune? An opulently produced album with a wounded heart -- very BW.
I noticed a big BW/BB influence with the Lips -- I think it was a song called "Summertime" from the Yoshimi disc.  BIGTIME Beach Boys rip.

And if anyone ever needed auto-tune, yes, these guys.  Honestly his voice is horrendous, and makes me wonder how these guys "make it" with so many bands out there! You know!?  Wow.

I realize his weak voice was probably and originally part of the group's post-punk charm (the song "Vaseline" etc), but...geez...can you imagine them singing the national anthem?  Ouch, baby.   LOL
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 09:08:28 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2008, 09:15:43 AM »

Several albums produced by Gary Usher after The BBoys had hit. (Heard one, you've heard them all... Well, almost...)

I don't understand this sentiment for the life of me. Give me Surf Route 101 or give me death...
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2008, 09:28:42 AM »

And if anyone ever needed auto-tune, yes, these guys.  Honestly his voice is horrendous, and makes me wonder how these guys "make it" with so many bands out there! You know!?  Wow.

His voice sounds more like Neil Young's to me, than like any other post-punk act. Maybe I'm missing something.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx