gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680847 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 01:54:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Original Rolling Stone reviews  (Read 3521 times)
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2008, 01:39:36 PM »

Perhaps this has been covered before, or maybe it's just not as interesting as I think it is. Anyway, I just found myself being fascinated by this stuff, as I wasn't even born yet when most of these reviews about some of my favorite albums were written. It's always rather exciting to me to get a glimpse into people's original reactions to the music.

The Sunflower review seemed particularly strange to me, as the writer so obviously didn't allow himself to come to the conclusion that this is just great music period:
It makes one wonder though whether anyone still listens to their music, or could give a sh*t about it. This album will probably have the fate of being taken as a decadent piece of fluff at a time when we could use more Liberation Music Orchestras. It is decadent fluff–but brilliant fluff. The Beach Boys are plastic madmen, rock geniuses. The plastic should not hide from use the geniuses who molded it.

That said, the Friends review being rather positive strikes me as a pleasant surprise. Next I'm going to read the one about M.I.U...

http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/thebeachboys/reviews
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 02:09:11 PM »

Ridiculous.

"Country Air" is the most relaxed and naturally achieved synthesis of innocence and sophistication that the Beach Boys are aiming for. Whether or not they recognize the success of this inconspicuously placed song, hugely successful in terms of what they have so obviously been aiming for, is doubtful. The song is about the Rousseauian-styled life of simplicity in the woods. The opening orchestral riffs set a thoroughly pastoral mood, and the single, well positioned cry of a rooster signals the entrance of the voices. The lyrics are unconsciously simpleminded, the simplicity which is the beauty of the whole Beach Boy stance since "Surfin USA." They say "Get a breath of that country air, Breathe the beauty of the everywhere."

The Friends review mentions Rousseau, too. What's up with that?

I just love the last line of the Surf's Up review, though. "You can come home, guys, all is forgiven."
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 02:27:29 PM by Aegir » Logged

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 06:27:57 PM »

I'd love to see their review of the 1988 Brian Wilson album again.  As I recall, it got four stars and "this is what pop music has been missing for years"- something like that.

Generally I find Rolling Stone's reviews snarky and pompous, but when I agree with them (of course) all (or most) is momentarily forgiven.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 06:53:06 PM »

Generally I find Rolling Stone's reviews snarky and pompous, but when I agree with them (of course) all (or most) is momentarily forgiven.
I think that's how most music fans find all reviews. A weird combination of sought-after, yet reviled.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 08:01:24 PM »

And you know I agree with that, but there's something extra smug about Rolling Stone.

I remember when they reviewed Anthony Phillip's mostly acoustic album The Geese And The Ghost- a very pastoral and melodic album from about 1976 or so.   Looking down their nose, they dismissed it with "this is not rock and roll- but not everything has to be, I suppose."  That tells you right there that they only really know how to respond to certain things, on a very limited basis.  They wouldn't hesitate to assign a tricky, sensitive, and problematic album like Beach Boys Love You to a guy who's just finished writing an authorized book on Kiss.  The results are predictable.

Rolling Stone established their own pompous criteria of music as art, and God help you if you're trying to do something else. As I mentioned another time, they had to interpret the car in "Don't Worry Baby" as a sexual metaphor before they felt they could enjoy it or endorse it.  I think Rolling Stone, back when they had clout, were tragically successful at imposing and enforcing their biases on popular music.  That's fine if you're Bruce Springsteen or David Bowie, who meet those standards with even their most average efforts, but it has stigmatized artists from Paul McCartney to Emerson, Lake and Palmer who had plenty to offer but didn't fit the suit.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 01:03:35 AM »

I think I may have asked before, maybe not here, but are there any complete 1966 reviews of Pet Sounds available rather than the odd snippet?
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 07:42:46 AM »

Handsomely produced by Bruce Johnston, the new album blends the pantheism of Holland, the tunefulness of Pet Sounds and the sweetness of Surf's Up into a polished, hook-filled retrospective that has the ring of an official farewell.

If only Keepin' The Summer Alive really sounded like that! Or does it?

Here's the one about BW88:
http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/brianwilson/albums/album/229208/review/5940634/brian_wilson
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 08:01:58 AM »

No album is complete without a RS review,

Sadly they only care about what's hip, and what's gonna sell,

They would put a transvestite with a number 1 album on the cover , if she was big at the moment.

Mark my words TLOS is gonna get it hard from RS, but Brian will most likely get a spread of some sort.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 06:58:18 PM »

Mark my words TLOS is gonna get it hard from RS, but Brian will most likely get a spread of some sort.

They'll probably give it three stars and yammer on about how Brian has overcome a few more obstacles to deliver some "good vibrations" that the fans will like (essentially the same review they gave both IMAGINATION and GIOMH).

By the way, the cover art to SMILEY SMILE is quite close to the style of Rousseau, so I suspect that was lodged in Rolling Stone's head when they reviewed the follow-up albums!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 08:02:23 PM »

They would put a transvestite with a number 1 album on the cover , if she was big at the moment.
What are you even trying to imply there?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jason
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 12:55:21 AM »

They would put a transvestite with a number 1 album on the cover , if he was big at the moment.

Fixed for truth.

And...

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 01:53:33 AM »

I'd love to see their review of the 1988 Brian Wilson album again.  As I recall, it got four stars and "this is what pop music has been missing for years"- something like that.

It's still on the site. I discovered it recently and was pleasantly surprised that it was so positive.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 06:15:14 AM »

It's still on the site. I discovered it recently and was pleasantly surprised that it was so positive.

In re-reading the Rolling Stone BW88 review, I was surprised how much of it I remembered from twenty years ago. This was the review that got me back into being a fan ("best album since SUNFLOWER" was a key line to me at the time).
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 11:06:03 AM »

That's how I feel about pitchfork. Which is why I rarely read it.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 02:11:02 PM »

The Beach Boys are easily the most overrated group in rock & roll history---which presents the reviewer with a problem: simply stating the facts invites an overreaction from the band's maundering cult who exaggerate the surf bums' importance. But the truth is that Brian Wilson was never a musical genius

Angry

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx