gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680722 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 07:53:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rolling Stones Live  (Read 11596 times)
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2006, 04:49:15 PM »

Having seen the Stones a little over a week ago, I can say that, well...... the Stones are basically a high end oldies act ... If I'm going to see an expensive arena show, I'd rather see Paul McCartney.

We all know Macca has much too much integrity ever to THINK of trading on his past ...

Point taken, BUT Mac got a new younger band who simply KICK THE sh*t out of his songs, inspiring him to better levels of performance than he's given in a long time.
The Stones are a band, though, so not a really good comparison.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2006, 04:56:28 PM »

I agree. Macca has a great band. What Rusty Anderson, Brian Ray, and Abe Laboriel give Paul is similar to what Wondermints give Brian.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2006, 05:01:12 PM »

Much better in some ways.

RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2006, 05:44:23 PM »

I wouldn't go THAT far.  Wondermints are pretty damn hard to beat. And you actually got to see them before they joined Brian, you lucky bastard!!!!!!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2006, 05:57:18 PM »

All you have to do is compare that lame dude with Brian to Abe Laboriel!

Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2006, 05:59:19 PM »

Ian, you may know -- is Abe the drummer any relation to the bass session player with I think the same name or close who did the jazz group Koinonia?  I have always wondered that but didn't know who to ask.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2006, 06:01:00 PM »

He is his son!

Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2006, 06:02:24 PM »

That's what I figured.  I would love some bio details on the man....
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2006, 06:03:04 PM »

All you have to do is compare that lame dude with Brian to Abe Laboriel!

Jim Hines isn't THAT bad. he's quite good, except for that annoying fill that he insists on putting into Good Vibrations.

But seriously, seeing Mike Kowalski with Mike and Bruce on TV made me appreciate Jim Hines.
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2006, 06:05:30 PM »

I like how compact Paul's band is, yet he gets a lot of bang for the buck, since they all sing back up as well as play.  Well, except for Wix.  But, still, it's a rare and cool thing, them along with The Wondermints.
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2006, 06:05:46 PM »

Abe Jr. has recorded and toured with Sting, kd lang and others. Abe is the drummer on Vanessa Carlton's "A Thousand Miles".

Brian Ray is Etta James' musical director and wrote "One Heartbeat" for Smokey Robinson.

Rusty Anderson played the "surf" guitar on "Livin' La Vida Loca".
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2006, 06:05:58 PM »

Here's a bit:
http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Abe_Laboriel_jr.html

RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2006, 06:08:42 PM »

And I don't mean to discount Abe. Abe is an absolute monster on the drums! Like Ringo on a 'roid rage!
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2006, 12:59:03 AM »

I know a few people who saw them back when and they are in consensus that the Stones were far, far better in their late '80s and '90s shows than they were in their supposed "heyday."

I went see them in their Voodoo Lounge tour. It was worth it but the concert was as spontaneous as a broadway show, if you know what I mean. I haven't felt moved to see them again since then.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Howdy Doody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2006, 06:31:32 PM »

They are a beautiful band but are hit or miss live.  They have always had a raunchy sound.
cabinessence
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2006, 06:53:02 PM »

The sound/mix was messed up for most of "Start Me Up".

That's partly because the Superbowl TV broadcasting folks were censoring the 'inappropriate' lyrics in this tune and "Rough Justice", as well, for those watching at home with a five second delay taping deal, dropping out the sound whenever it appeared Mick might have conceivably sung something smutty!

At least that's how it's being reported today in a bunch of places including this one:

http://musicnews.virgin.net/Virgin/Lifestyle/Music/virginMusicNewsDetail/0,13556,1002990_music,00.html
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 06:55:23 PM by cabinessence » Logged
forgetemarie
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2006, 10:53:55 PM »

The entire song "Start Me Up" is pure smut.  It's laughable that they censor two little words, but the Stones are singing a song about the subject of anal sex.  Receiving anal sex at that (from a guy, or perhaps a girl with some, er, purchased equipment).  It's filthy!  But, of course, it is a sports arena anthem.  But maybe the powers that be did figure that out, and that's why they messed up the mix on it.
cta
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2006, 11:40:07 AM »

Yeah, I wondered why Jagger sounded like he was forgetting words during that performance.  It wasn't that bad, just a crappy mix.   Also it being set up like that in the open air with Richards leaning down towards the monitors a bit obviously showed they couldn't hear themselves much. 

It's rather unfair to say THEY sucked when the whole thing was non-condusive to any real band to come out and jam.  Seemed to me like a shaky deal from the start and the Stones pulled it off with what they could. 

As for them live, they're not a bad band.

By the way, last time Keith did lead vox for the Stones was during the Steel Wheelchairs Tour in 1989 when he sang "Can't Be Seen", which isn't that bad of a song.   It's got some nice little airy riffs to the song during the background vocal parts.   You can find the live version on their 1991 release "Flashpoint", which is just another live release from the Stones to keep up with their live catalog since Ya-Yas.

Feh.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx