gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680817 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 12:24:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Horrible Songs By Great Artists  (Read 19964 times)
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2009, 04:03:12 AM »

Chuck Berry -- "My Ding-A-Ling"

OK, it's not a good song, but when I saw Chuck in concert a few months ago it certainly was one of the highlights of the show!
Marty77
Smiley Smile Associate

Boys And Girls.I give you Cumbernauld Town Centre!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2009, 05:11:24 AM »

Is it just me or do you get to a certain age and begin to hear songs that you used wish that your favourtie artists had never recorded and in fact try to pretend that they hadn't, and think..."Hey....Not bad".

Examples:

Mull of Kintyre
Xanadu by ELO (in fact that doesn't really count as I never used to like ELO at all until a couple of years ago. this was just the last of their hits to beat me into submission)

uh that's all I can think of right now.

"Dont' you think the Beach Boys are boss??!! ....I don't like that surfing sh*t"
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2009, 07:46:24 AM »

Is it just me or do you get to a certain age and begin to hear songs that you used wish that your favourtie artists had never recorded and in fact try to pretend that they hadn't, and think..."Hey....Not bad".

Examples:

Mull of Kintyre
Xanadu by ELO (in fact that doesn't really count as I never used to like ELO at all until a couple of years ago. this was just the last of their hits to beat me into submission)

uh that's all I can think of right now.

Well if you insist.......that would be most of the Love You album.....which was a hugh embarrassment to many...including myself on first few hearings.....but I now regard it as one of Brian's best works.

Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2009, 07:49:32 AM »

I'm thinking of soe truly weak, if not downright bad songs by Jefferson Airplane;

Son of Jesus
Milk Train
and probably most of the rest of Long John Silver
Nice trick cover that converted to a stash box though........

The lyrics to this album are dire. They should definitely have left them off the album sleeve and let the murky mix create some ambiguity in people's minds. I love all JA albums except this one, i never listen to it but their others are on fairly regular rotation in my ears.

Apparently most of the songs had their lyrics written to already-taped instrumental tracks, which could be why it sounds so disjointed.
Music Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2009, 09:36:23 PM »

I actually like four tracks on that album; Airee, Easter?, Alexander the Medium and especially the album closer, Eat Starch Mom. It's like Grace Slick fronting the Stooges.

There is some weak stuff on that album, defenitley. Twilight Double Leader is the worst of the lot, imo.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 09:49:39 PM by Music Machine » Logged
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2009, 01:01:13 AM »

The songs from Long John Silver do sound better performed live. And I do like Aerie, i'll give you that.

The Airplane/Etc... released so much music in a short space of time that I think it finally caught up with them and they spread themselves too thin. They were probably also saving their best stuff for their own projects.

Even forgetting just their 60s stuff, from 70-74 they released Mexico/Saucers single, Blows Against the Empire, Sunfighter, Bark, LJS, Manhole, Baron Von Tollbooth, Dragonfly, 30 secs over Winterland, Early Flight, plus whatever Hot Tuna were up to.
Music Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2009, 07:40:42 PM »

They were probably also saving their best stuff for their own projects.

That's confirmed in Grace Slick's autobiography. She basically says Long John Silver was a contractual obligation situation. Right before Long John Silver, Paul and Grace had made the excellent Sunfighter release and the same year as Long John Silver, Hot Tuna released what is probably their best album, Burgers.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2009, 12:48:23 PM »

Chuck Berry -- "My Ding-A-Ling"

OK, it's not a good song, but when I saw Chuck in concert a few months ago it certainly was one of the highlights of the show!

I love My-Ding-A-Ling!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
MBE
« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2009, 01:46:53 PM »

It was funny when I was a kid, but to me it's still not offesnsive. I think it's only bad compared to his stuff from 55-65.
Jason
« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2009, 10:29:11 PM »

These Days by Nico. Yeah yeah, she didn't write it, but still. Jackson Browne is a wanker.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx