gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681012 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 01:18:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Horrible Songs By Great Artists  (Read 20177 times)
Big Bri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2008, 07:01:09 AM »

Phirnis,
   Just found these Two "gems" on YouTube.And apparently they're re-mixes from the newer "...And Then There Were Three" CD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0g-j4K9_D4&feature=related    "Deep In The Motherlode"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pxvSxv7O8M                             "Snowbound"    amazing song around the Holiday Season!

Cheers,

Big Bri
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2008, 03:49:33 PM »

Phirnis,
  Funny you should mention "...And Then There Were Three".That's also my Favorite Genesis album.
It's also one of the most cohesive albums as far as the track listing.Not ONE song on that album is bad!! From the first song "Down and Out" to "Follow You,Follow Me",no album has meant more and taken me back to being a teenager in the late 1970's then ATTWT.Awesome album!

Big Bri

"Go West young man,earn a dollar a day,just like you're family said..."

Big Bri, I feel the absolute same way about the album being such a cohesive listening experience. Just like so many favorites of mine, this one didn't blow me away immediately. People have criticized its sound, but I think it's just perfect and really adds to the overall feel of sadness so prominently featured on this record. When I rediscovered ATTWT this summer (after years of it collecting dust at my parents' house) I was quite surprised when I realized I still knew almost every note and lyric on this album by heart.
Big Bri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2008, 04:58:34 AM »

Phirnis,
  And yet,in it's Melancholy there's a very prominent "Grandeour" in the feeling tone of ATTWT.I was blown away immediatley back in 1978 when I heard "Deep In The Motherlode" and "Down and Out" on the local radio station.
  This quote below is what really sums up ATTWT for me.It's from the comments section of YouTube for "...Motherlode"

"This song makes my spirit soar. It takes me back to the days when'anything seemed possible' and I could almost feel a magic in the air on a cold crisp day with sun shining/
Anyone know that feeling? .
this song is so inspirational, amazing,one of their very best and my faves!"

And that just about sums it up! MAGIC!

Cheers,

Brian
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2008, 05:45:05 AM »

You guys amaze me. See: I never 'got' Genesis, nor Queen. I didn't even 'get' the Beatles either. I had Sgt. Pepper for a couple of years on vinyl and then sold it. People sent me CDRs of 'Revolver' and 'Rubber Soul'. I didn't even get to the end of those records. I don't care for the White Album at all. I must miss a few genes here, I'm afraid, since many people like artists in 'clusters'. The Beach Boys affiliations I really love are Phil Spector (of course) and Van Dyke Parks.
As for the rest: John Fahey (adore him); Augustus Pablo; Lee Perry; King Tubby; Ry Cooder; Toumani Diabaté; Orchestre Baobab; Lambchop; Massive Attack; Lucinda Williams; Flaming Lips; Mercury Rev, and many others who I can't name for lack of time.
Now: flame away... Smokin

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Big Bri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2008, 07:46:06 AM »

Don,
  Being a musican has alot to do with it.But I always thought the Beachs Boys were heads above the Beatles.I too never "got" the Beatles! I appreciate their musical genius,but Brian Wilson single handedly did what took 4 of the Beatles to do.
  Somehow,in my childhood since I started at age 10 with "The Beach Boys In Concert '73",I grouped the BB's in with the progressive rock bands that I've always loved:Genesis,RUSH,ELP,YES,Jethro Tull.Beacause Brian Wilson IS Progressive in his use of chord structures and VDP's Lyrics!
  Just a 35 year Lead Guitarist talking here.Funny how "musical affiliations" group together likes "families of Consciousness" as Seth,Kris & Elias have stated.

Cheers Amigo!

Big Bri
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2008, 09:32:36 AM »

You guys amaze me. See: I never 'got' Genesis, nor Queen. I didn't even 'get' the Beatles either. I had Sgt. Pepper for a couple of years on vinyl and then sold it. People sent me CDRs of 'Revolver' and 'Rubber Soul'. I didn't even get to the end of those records. I don't care for the White Album at all. I must miss a few genes here, I'm afraid, since many people like artists in 'clusters'. The Beach Boys affiliations I really love are Phil Spector (of course) and Van Dyke Parks.
As for the rest: John Fahey (adore him); Augustus Pablo; Lee Perry; King Tubby; Ry Cooder; Toumani Diabaté; Orchestre Baobab; Lambchop; Massive Attack; Lucinda Williams; Flaming Lips; Mercury Rev, and many others who I can't name for lack of time.
Now: flame away... Smokin
What's to flame? I don't see why liking the Beach Boys has anything to do with Genesis, for f***'s sake. Jesus, I hate Genesis. I love Queen, but it has nothing to do with the Beach Boys. (Yes, both have vocal harmonies. Yes, they both covered "I Can Hear Music." But generally their music, including vocal harmony styles, have nothing to do with one another.) Beatles are obviously linked due to the mid-60s "competition" stuff being public. But it's all irrelevant. Like what you like and never apologize.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2008, 05:07:14 PM »

Don, I'm totally with you in terms of Queen and The Beatles (like the latter quite a bit, though it pretty much ends for me after Rubber Soul). Genesis I used to love when I was heavily into prog rock - that was some ten years ago, before I had even heard of a record named Pet Sounds. That pretty much changed it all in 2000, yet I still retain a soft spot for that particular Genesis album. It's funny how you can go from most pretentious and complicated to listening to Little Deuce Coupe ten times in a row.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2008, 01:43:26 AM »

Don, I'm totally with you in terms of Queen and The Beatles (like the latter quite a bit, though it pretty much ends for me after Rubber Soul). Genesis I used to love when I was heavily into prog rock - that was some ten years ago, before I had even heard of a record named Pet Sounds. That pretty much changed it all in 2000, yet I still retain a soft spot for that particular Genesis album. It's funny how you can go from most pretentious and complicated to listening to Little Deuce Coupe ten times in a row.

I love your comments, guys. Phirnis hit it on the head here for me... I once had a double LP, called, wait for it: 'Tales From Topographic Oceans'. At the time (I was 14) I thought that the title meant something. And that the 4 songs meant something too. How could one go wrong with 'The Gates Of Delirium'? Or with 'Nous Sommes Du Soleil'?
Well, I for one went wrong with this stuff. I sold the album and used the money to purchase 'Spirit Of America'. And yes... I managed to play the title track, or 'Why Do Fools' in many 'repeat situations', and they gave me so much more pleasure than that Yes material... it can be done. Becoming a BBs maniac, I mean.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2008, 09:45:28 AM »

I love your comments, guys. Phirnis hit it on the head here for me... I once had a double LP, called, wait for it: 'Tales From Topographic Oceans'. At the time (I was 14) I thought that the title meant something. And that the 4 songs meant something too. How could one go wrong with 'The Gates Of Delirium'? Or with 'Nous Sommes Du Soleil'?
Well, I for one went wrong with this stuff. I sold the album and used the money to purchase 'Spirit Of America'. And yes... I managed to play the title track, or 'Why Do Fools' in many 'repeat situations', and they gave me so much more pleasure than that Yes material... it can be done. Becoming a BBs maniac, I mean.

I too would rather put Why Do Fools Fall In Love on repeat than sit through a half-hour Rick Wakeman keyboard solo. I realize the guys in Yes are good musicians, but a lot of times a 3 minute pop song will fill me with more satisfaction than endless instrumental noodling.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2009, 02:25:40 PM »

Pink Floyd's "See Saw".  Absolute sh*t... I was a fan of the late Rick Wright, but this is one of the worst songs I've heard by anybody anywhere. It sounds like someone was trying to write a terrible song on purpose and succeeded beyond their wildest dreams.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2009, 02:12:53 AM »

Pink Floyd's "See Saw".  Absolute merda... I was a fan of the late Rick Wright, but this is one of the worst songs I've heard by anybody anywhere. It sounds like someone was trying to write a terrible song on purpose and succeeded beyond their wildest dreams.

Did I mention 'Mind Gardens' by the Byrds?

8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2009, 06:47:21 AM »

I just can't stand "American Pie" by Don McLean, especially ever since Madonna felt the need to record a cover version a couple of years ago.

I'd rather play some Buddy Holly tunes myself.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2009, 07:10:03 AM »

I just can't stand "American Pie" by Don McLean, especially ever since Madonna felt the need to record a cover version a couple of years ago.

You have a point. Also his: 'Vincent'. Bit of a tearjerker about the artist as a tortured genius. Makes me think of a certain Bri... no wait, that is too sensitive a subject.

Lady
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2009, 07:14:00 AM »

Baby What A Big Surprise - Chicago
Mary Queen of Arkansas - Bruce Springsteen
Yellow Submarine - The Beatles
Silly Love Songs - Paul McCartney
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 06:46:50 AM by Lady » Logged
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2009, 09:22:29 PM »

You have a point. Also his: 'Vincent'. Bit of a tearjerker about the artist as a tortured genius. Makes me think of a certain Bri... no wait, that is too sensitive a subject.

It always amazed me to find that "Killing Me Softly With His Song" was written about Don McClean and the songwriter's  reaction to hearing Don sing in a nightclub.  I've always wondered what song Don was singing that inspired her to write that. 
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2009, 04:28:42 AM »

It always amazed me to find that "Killing Me Softly With His Song" was written about Don McClean and the songwriter's  reaction to hearing Don sing in a nightclub.  I've always wondered what song Don was singing that inspired her to write that. 

Did you know, by the way, that 'The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face' was written about yours truly?

...although the second line originally read: 'It Was Such A Big Shock For Me'...

8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2009, 05:08:38 AM »

Did you know, by the way, that 'The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face' was written about yours truly?

...although the second line originally read: 'It Was Such A Big Shock For Me'...
I beg your pardon, sir, but there is one more thing, "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" is about Columbo???  Cheesy
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2009, 06:54:51 AM »

I'm thinking of soe truly weak, if not downright bad songs by Jefferson Airplane;

Son of Jesus
Milk Train
and probably most of the rest of Long John Silver
Nice trick cover that converted to a stash box though........
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2009, 03:29:00 PM »

Jeez, figures: Mull of Kintyre is one of my favorite McCartney ditties.

Me too.  Cry

In keeping with the Beatles....

John Lennon Bless You or Surprise Surprise (Sweet Bird of Paradox)
MBE
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2009, 11:51:37 PM »

That's funny Walls and Bridges is my favorite Lennon solo LP. Almost everything on Sometime In New York City reeks.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 04:09:10 AM by MBE » Logged
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2009, 01:26:04 AM »

I beg your pardon, sir, but there is one more thing, "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" is about Columbo???  Cheesy

Grin Grin Grin made my day, that one. Cheers!

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2009, 08:00:16 AM »

That's funny Walls and Bridges is my favorite Lennon solo LP. Almost everything on Sometime In New York City reeks.

Ironically its my fave as well. But those two tracks just really grate on my nerves. They strike me as being very unLennon.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2009, 11:41:35 AM »

Some of Mind Games would be on my compilation of 68-80 John Lennon songs.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2009, 03:23:14 AM »

Pink Floyd's "See Saw".  Absolute merda... I was a fan of the late Rick Wright, but this is one of the worst songs I've heard by anybody anywhere. It sounds like someone was trying to write a terrible song on purpose and succeeded beyond their wildest dreams.

I love 'See saw'!

To join in the Genesis discussion, I am a massive fan of early 70s Genesis (Well 'Wind and wuthering' is my cutoff point really) and do like some of their 80s stuff though I think ATTW3 is one of their worst albums, I just find it very drab, there are some ones I like on there like 'Many too many' and 'Burning Rope' and also the B-side 'The Day the lights went out' which is ace but too much of it is pedestrian for me. I absolutely loathe 'Follow you follow me', I know it was a big hit but to me its a real lowpoint!
I'm a big Queen fan too mostly of their 70s stuff but have a high tolerance for their 80s stuff, the worst offender to my ears is 1989's 'The Miracle' which contains some of my most detested Queen songs of all - 'Party', 'The Invisible man', 'My baby does me', there are some far better B-sides and outtakes from this period which could have really turned this album around.
Also, though I'm a big Paul McCartney fan I find nearly all of his 'Flaming Pie' album (despite the wealth of critical acclaim that greeted it) to be hideous, bland and underwritten. I know those are criticisms that could be levelled at other McCartney albums too but this one for me really sums it up.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
MBE
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2009, 12:27:10 AM »

I love Flaming Pie myself. Just some good basic stuff. I really hate Driving Rain.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx