gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:20:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl video on Amazon  (Read 13589 times)
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2008, 07:19:00 AM »

Good stuff. Foskett does a great Carl impression towards the end. Is that d'Amico on drums? And - I know I haven't been paying attention recently - who's the new bassist?

That's Mr Taylor Mills (aka Todd Sucherman from Styx, and the first BWBand drummer) on drums.  The new bassist is Brett Simons

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2008, 08:02:29 AM »

Todd was apparently back for the TLOS sessions and Capitol shows -- Mikey came on shortly afterward as the touring drummer.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2008, 08:19:43 AM »

Is FSBMSG going to be a single?

I think MAD was mentioned as the first single, on that radio show....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2008, 08:34:57 AM »

While there may be some funny business with lip-syncing of what not, it certainly sounds good and is a nice primer for TLOS. And Brian looks happy...

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2008, 08:44:44 AM »

Guys, its a music video...

Surfer girl...marilyn or melinda? you decide!

Neither - in '61 it was Judy Bowlles.  Grin

And I quote (not quite verbatim) from the Beach Boys' 1989 syndicated TV show Endless Summer:

MIKE: Brian, tell us about the original "surfer girl," Judy Bowles.

BRIAN: No, she was not "Surfer Girl."

MIKE: Whaddya talkin' about? You told me a long time ago that it was her!

BRIAN: I was lyin' to you then...I know who you're thinking of, though, and it was her, but not Judy.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2008, 08:46:31 AM »

This is the one thing that bugs me to no end.  As great as the SMiLE DVD is, I would have loved to see a full concert.  The 2004 unplugged sets were phenomenal.  Shame that no official recording of those is available.

No official recording is available, huh?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4182988

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2008, 09:10:49 AM »

This is the one thing that bugs me to no end.  As great as the SMiLE DVD is, I would have loved to see a full concert.  The 2004 unplugged sets were phenomenal.  Shame that no official recording of those is available.

No official recording is available, huh?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4182988

Ah, but Sean that is not the FULL and COMPLETE concert, nor is it a DVD... which is really what I was asking for.  But, strictly speaking, yes I had forgotten about that.

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2008, 09:33:51 AM »

I doubt we'll see a complete concert DVD from Brian, at least without the "complete" concert being put together from multiple performances (the Creators at Carnegie is a complete concert, but from two performances, albeit with the two individuals having different setlists)...they'd want to get as close to a flawless performance as possible, and with Brian and his quirks, that's kind of difficult...not to mention the large number musicians behind, any one of whom can mess up...that's the reason there wasn't a complete London Smile performance on the DVD, IIRC...(in fact, even the "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow" bonus is a composite -- notice how Nick's shirt magically changes!)

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2008, 09:38:33 AM »

Guys, its a music video...

Surfer girl...marilyn or melinda? you decide!

Neither - in '61 it was Judy Bowlles.  Grin

And I quote (not quite verbatim) from the Beach Boys' 1989 syndicated TV show Endless Summer:

MIKE: Brian, tell us about the original "surfer girl," Judy Bowles.

BRIAN: No, she was not "Surfer Girl."

MIKE: Whaddya talkin' about? You told me a long time ago that it was her!

BRIAN: I was lyin' to you then...I know who you're thinking of, though, and it was her, but not Judy.

omg! who is her??

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2008, 10:05:56 AM »

Carol Mountain. Betcha.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2008, 10:10:48 AM »

Brian Wilson told a LIE ?

No no no no no no no no no... that could never happen. After all, he's... Brian WilsonRoll Eyes

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2008, 12:53:42 PM »

haha. I love Brian and Mike exchanges. They are always hilarious!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2008, 08:29:45 PM »

Who's to say he wasn't lying in 1989?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2008, 12:50:07 AM »

Wow!  This is a fabulous recording.  I really like the demo version of this song, but this version is significantly better.  Great blending of BWs vocals with the other band members.  Sure, the singing (or lip-syncing) on the video clip often fails to match the song, but who cares?  For many, many years now, BW's leads have often way too grating to my ear, and I've always wondered why they don't blend the rest of the band more into his vocals.  They've done it big time here, and the result is a much more enjoyable listening experience, in my opinion.  Hope the vocal blends (and probably pitch corrections too) on the rest of the album have been done this well.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2008, 02:03:21 PM »

Hmmm .... experts say that auditory memory can be fleeting, and it appears they are correct!  Just went back and did a comparison of the demo version and the Amazon venison of Forever My Surfer Girl, and contrary to my comments above, they sounded virtually identical.

Guess I was thrown off by the Amazon visuals of BWs band singing harmonies, causing me to think they were mixed louder and Brian was mixed softer in the Amazon version. 

Still, the great majority of BW's current (by current, I actually mean the past 30 + years!) vocals are mixed too loud and sound too strident to me.   I'd really like to hear more harmonizing along with his leads, including a prominent harmonizing double voice in many cases.   In Forever My Surfer Girl, the fact that BW's voice is so often mixed with the harmonies of his band, as well as the fact that it seems electronically full (from a reverb and eq standpoint) and most likely pitch corrected in places, makes the song very listenable to me.

Also, I'd love to have a single version of Forever My Surfer Girl, with a longer ending added to the song, so that as it fades out it sounds self contained, rather than like it is fading into the Venice Beach Narrative.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2008, 12:18:26 PM »

Just went back and did a comparison of the demo version and the Amazon venison of Forever My Surfer Girl,

Venison? It's very deer to me. Wink
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2008, 05:52:44 PM »

Quote from: Custom Machine on August 07, 2008, 04:03:21 PM
Just went back and did a comparison of the demo version and the Amazon venison of Forever My Surfer Girl,

Venison? It's very deer to me. 

Yes, it took me quite a while to hunt down the Amazon venison.  A friend of mine on dial-up advised me that when he listens he gets Amazon venison jerky.   Smiley
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2008, 08:20:07 PM »

It's lip-synched... that's the album version that's playing.  So consider it like an MTV video, only without the pretension.
Is that really the version that's going to be on the CD? Brian's voice is very prominent in this version. No offence, but Brian has a very, very weak "falsetto" as of recent years. I would have thought that the rest of the band would have "blended in" more with Brian. Using this as a "final" version might not be that good of an idea.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2008, 08:21:01 PM »

I demand more quotation marks.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Beach Bum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2008, 09:22:15 PM »

Jimmy Hester's Idol? I remember you. That porcelin guy, right?

Oh, and this is Jimmy. That was really funny, by the way. LOL

TLOS will soon rule the planet and my "idol" will be forced to
move out of my garage. Might be a good thing, but then who
will I get to mow my yard?

All hail Jimmy Hester's idol!

Let him run wild, he don't care
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2008, 10:49:10 PM »

It's lip-synched... that's the album version that's playing.  So consider it like an MTV video, only without the pretension.
Is that really the version that's going to be on the CD? Brian's voice is very prominent in this version. No offence, but Brian has a very, very weak "falsetto" as of recent years. I would have thought that the rest of the band would have "blended in" more with Brian. Using this as a "final" version might not be that good of an idea.

Come on.  They always mix Brian's voice that way, you expect them to do it different on this c.d. for some reason when they didn't on any of the last 9 albums? 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2008, 12:44:01 AM »

Jimmy Hester's Idol? I remember you. That porcelin guy, right?

Oh, and this is Jimmy. That was really funny, by the way. LOL

TLOS will soon rule the planet and my "idol" will be forced to
move out of my garage. Might be a good thing, but then who
will I get to mow my yard?

All hail Jimmy Hester's idol!

LOL

I was waiting for someone to comment.

Hmmm .... experts say that auditory memory can be fleeting, and it appears they are correct!  Just went back and did a comparison of the demo version and the Amazon venison of Forever My Surfer Girl, and contrary to my comments above, they sounded virtually identical.

Now I don't feel so bad for not noticing a difference. LOL  I thought something was wrong with me!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 12:44:58 AM by Billy C » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2008, 07:03:24 PM »

I see where you're coming from, Jay, but you should cut Brian a little slack on the falsetto.  He's 66 years old...and given what he's put his voice through, it's a wonder he even has a falsetto at all.  And the few times we've heard him use it recently haven't been too bad ("First Noel", the end of "Surf's Up", harmonies on the demo of "Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl"). 

I do agree with you though that the band should be a bit more blended with Brian's voice.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2008, 01:16:59 AM »

...the end of "Surf's Up"...

Live or studio, that's not Brian - Darian takes the top, Jeff the next step down, Brian the middle.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wilsonista
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2008, 06:27:23 AM »

"....a children's song" as heard on BWPS? That's Brian.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx