gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:59:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl video on Amazon  (Read 13591 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2008, 06:32:12 AM »

"....a children's song" as heard on BWPS? That's Brian.

Listening now... and, yes, that's Brian... and at least one other voice, probably Darian.

Go halves ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wilsonista
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2008, 07:52:48 AM »

Not according to one of the people you mentioned and it wasn't Brian.  Cheesy
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2008, 08:36:44 AM »

"....a children's song" as heard on BWPS? That's Brian.

Listening now... and, yes, that's Brian... and at least one other voice, probably Darian.

Go halves ?

Yeah that's the part I meant...to me it sounded like Jeff doubling him, but either way Brian still hit it (in the studio, at least).
Wilsonista
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2008, 10:24:15 AM »

Andrew, I believe, was referring to "Columnated ruins domino" which is, from top to bottom, Darian, Jeff, and Brian.  "A children's song" to my ears sounds like Brian multi-tracked.  Darian flat out said that that particular part was all Brian and (if you can believe Darian) that was the easiest part to get Brian to sing - apparently the rest of the melody proved to be rather problematic for Brian.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2008, 11:55:09 AM »

If Darian said that, then that's the way it was.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2008, 04:38:23 PM »

There must be a small range of notes that he can still nail, like that part.... and on Good Vibrations he nails the "it's WEEEIIIRDDDD" part as well.  I'm sure it's probably doubled but it's so strange to see him hit some notes dead on and then others he sounds god awful. 
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2008, 04:56:57 PM »

What I've always found weird is that he could hit that part at the end (doubled or not, it doesn't really matter), but he had to shout his way through the whole "laughs come hard" part.  It would have been difficult to use his falsetto there, but I think he could have done it.  It's a bummer too, because that section has always ruined that version for me...he sings the rest of it really well. 
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2008, 07:04:24 PM »

There must be a small range of notes that he can still nail, like that part.... and on Good Vibrations he nails the "it's WEEEIIIRDDDD" part as well.  I'm sure it's probably doubled but it's so strange to see him hit some notes dead on and then others he sounds god awful. 

OT,

But why did they not use Mike Love's lyrics for GV on BWPS!

Did they ever give a reason?

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2008, 07:36:08 PM »

For what its worth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Vibrations

According to Brian Wilson, when he re-recorded "Good Vibrations" for his 2004 version of Smile, his wife, Melinda, suggested he use the original lyrics written by Tony Asher. From Mike Love's lyrics, he kept just the opening line, "I, I love the colorful clothes she wears," and the chorus, "I'm pickin' up good vibrations, she's giving me excitations ..."

That M name just keeps popping up doesn't it!
Wilsonista
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2008, 07:58:39 PM »

It has been suggested by Peter Reum that Mike's boy-girl lyrics weren't appropriate for the theme of SMiLE.  I have to respectfully disagree with the creative decision to go with the Asher lyrics.  IMHO that was a deliberate "f*** You" to Mike.  Mike's finished lyrics were better than Asher's rough draft lyrics.  The Good Vibrations that we all know and love was a better fit for SMiLE than the 2004 GV. 
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2008, 08:54:27 PM »

The Tony Asher lyrics are boy-girl lyrics, too!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2008, 09:55:28 PM »

I was always under the impression that Tony wrote that first line "I love the colorful clothes she wears" and Mike wrote the rest on the final version.  If Mike wrote "I love the colorful clothes she wears", what was Tony's first line of his lyrics?

Another thing strange about the mix that I guess is a result of all the scissor work Brian did to the original, is that on some of the 'demo' mixes or whatever, it leaves on that kind of shouted pickup right before the chorus, so the original went

"An I'm Picking UP!!! ...GOOD, GOOD, GOOD, GOOD VIBRATIONS, YEAH!"

So when they remade it into the single version and cut the new chorus in, they took off the "An I'm pickin up!" part... since he doesn't immediately say 'good vibrations' after anymore.

then on Smile 04, Brian does it anyways... so it doesn't make sense anymore.  It goes

"An I'm Picking up!!!!.... I'm pickin' up good vibrations, she's givin me excitations"

Not really important but kind of interesting that on the remake he acts like he's going to do the "GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD VIBRATIONS!!!" version, but instead sings the famous version leaving the "an i'm pickin' up!" part kind of hanging and an unfinished phrase. 

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2008, 09:58:37 PM »

I was always under the impression that Tony wrote that first line "I love the colorful clothes she wears" and Mike wrote the rest on the final version.  If Mike wrote "I love the colorful clothes she wears", what was Tony's first line of his lyrics?
I don't think there was one. It just starts with "She's already workin' on my brain".

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2008, 08:44:05 AM »

I don't think there was one. It just starts with "She's already workin' on my brain".

There probably was an opening line penned by Asher, but it's been long forgotten. I got the impression that they took Asher's lyrics from the demo where the first line is missing (the mic wasn't "punched in" in time?) resulting in the inclusion of Mike's opening line as a replacement.

I think part of the motivation to use the Asher lyric was to give the SMiLE version of "Good Vibrations" a different identity than the Beach Boys version. I can see the value in that even though I prefer Mike's lyrics.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2008, 12:37:00 PM »

I think the reason they included Mike's first line is because that's the only line anyone who isn't a fan knows.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2008, 06:25:07 AM »

Even before BWPS came out, the mixes I heard always had that first line on there.  That's so strange.  Maybe Asher didn't write a first line, you're right.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2008, 06:41:21 PM »

Even before BWPS came out, the mixes I heard always had that first line on there.  That's so strange.  Maybe Asher didn't write a first line, you're right.

Which mixes are you referring to? You mean the concert presentations of BWPS? The early version mix of "Good Vibrations" from '66 featuring Asher's lyrics (first heard on the "Smiley Smile / Wild Honey" twofer) is missing the opening line; Brian's vocal appears to be "punched in" just before the second line begins (the impression I get from it is that Brian was singing an opening line that we don't hear in the mix). My point is that this early mix is the only source of the Asher lyrics, so instead of Brian calling Asher up in 2003 and asking what his opening line was 37 years earlier, they just included Mike's opening line in it's place.

Maybe we should have a contest to see who can come up with most logical opening line to Asher's lyrics! Here's my guess: "I only caught a glimpse of her across the room, but... she's already working on my brain."
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 06:18:39 AM by Roger Ryan » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »

How do we know BW didn't ask Asher? They were on good terms in the late 90s, at least. Asher doesn' strike me as the type to keep stuff like that around, either.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2008, 06:21:40 AM »

How do we know BW didn't ask Asher? They were on good terms in the late 90s, at least. Asher doesn' strike me as the type to keep stuff like that around, either.

Of course you're right. If Asher didn't remember, it might have been nice if he wrote a new opening line that would have fit a little better.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx