gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:56:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The Beach Boys In Concert
5 - 47 (51.6%)
4 - 37 (40.7%)
3 - 5 (5.5%)
2 - 1 (1.1%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 1 (1.1%)
Total Voters: 81

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys In Concert  (Read 63648 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 26, 2005, 08:50:38 AM »

Discuss, review and rate The Beach Boys In Concert, released January 1973.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 03:04:34 PM by Charles LePage » Logged

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 10:59:21 AM »

Important document of an era largely forgotten by the public at large.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jason
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 01:10:30 PM »

Absolutely essential listening. A blast from start to finish. Now only if the band would release the unedited tapes of these recorded shows...
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 01:12:47 PM »

Yeah, it's great. I just wish Leaving This Town and Funky Pretty weren't included.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 12:54:29 PM »

Ian, you don't like Funky Pretty?  I just love it.  Its that musical thing Brian was doing with Mt. Vernon and Fairway only in a song format sung by the band and dropping the narrator. As infectious as a song can get.
Jason
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 12:55:15 PM »

My only gripe with this album (I posted before but forgot this) is that there is no Dennis tracks. WHY, God, WHY?
SurferGirl7
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 01:11:27 PM »

Good album. Some of the songs are better live Funky Pretty is one of them. We Got Love is pretty cool also. The Trader is better live.

3 stars
nosticker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 12:18:19 AM »

Carl and the band made Heroes and Villians rock bigtime.  It's nothing short of amazing.
Sold pretty well, and I see why!

Dan
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 05:55:42 AM »

A great live-album and it shows what a great rock-band the beach boys were.  Sadly there are no Dennis-songs or Dennis-leads on it. You can hear him right before "SOS" talking to the audience, same before "Surfin USA" and he sings Mike's part in the ending of "Good vibrations". That's all.....
But on the whole, it's a great album and probably the best live-album by the bbs (maybe alongside Knebworth).

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 06:06:09 AM »

My favourite Denny vocal is the background of Marcella...  Listen for his, "ONE ARM! ONE ARM! OVER MY SHOULDA!" In the background there... whoops the studio version (who I think was Blondie)
Big Bri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 08:54:40 AM »

My Favorite of ALL the Beach Boys albums!!
To ME..."Sloop John B." from this album IS the definitive version! Carl sings it brilliantly.
And "Let The Wind Blow"...if this song doesn't send shivers up your spine,well...you just ain't Human!!  Carls BEST vocal ever.
Everybody slags "Funky Pretty" on this album and I think its killer on here.
And of course,Ricky Fataar on Drums makes this album!! He does for the BB's what Chester Thompson has done for GENESIS live!!  Swing It!!
Brian
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 09:54:02 AM »

He does for the BB's what Chester Thompson has done for GENESIS live!! 

Uhh, completely f*** them up beyond belief?

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2006, 09:56:17 AM »

Chester Thompson is the man.  He not only did a great job drumming for Phil Collins in Genesis' live shows from 1977-1992, but he also did a great job playing for Frank Zappa in 1973 and 1974.  He drums on a lot of the "One Size Fits All" album.  That's quintessential 1970s in my book.  OK, back to the topic at hand...

This record rules.  I don't much care for this version of Help Me, Rhonda, but otherwise, this album is a winner start to finish.

I once had a dream so I packed up and split for the city.  I soon found out that my lonely life wasn't so pretty.
artie
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2006, 11:28:15 AM »

Ricky Fataar on Drums makes this album!!

I vehemently disagree. His drumming is rudimentary at best. Sounds like a sixth grader banging out beats in his basement. Nothing the least bit tasty. Too much hard snare and he plays the ride cymbal on the verses - a no-no for any drummer who knows how to play to the song.

There is no feel to it at all. Ricky was no improvement over Denny, and anticipating a barrage of strong dissent from the board regulars, I re-assert my opinion that Dennis was a terrible drummer (ducks, awaits projectiles). He is always behind the beat and seems forced. He looks awkward and uncomfortable all the time. He needed a click track to record in the studio, as his beat constantly wavered. Compare the vids of Dennis to those of Ringo or Keith Moon, who were natural stickwielders.

The Beach Boys were right to bring in someone else to the live group, but Fataar was no improvement.
Big Bri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2006, 11:58:52 AM »

Artie,
  You  must be a drummer,correct? I've been listening to this album/CD since it came out in 1973.I was 10 at the time and I'm telling you as a 30 year guitarist,Ricky Fataar does a splendid job of drumming on this record.At times he might be a little "wordy".But overall he's in time,great fills(just listen to the paradiddles on "Funky Pretty" just after Mike sings,"wonderin' what my horoscope would say.") Ricky tastefully switches left-right-right-left on the snare.
Bri

artie
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2006, 12:25:14 PM »

Big Bri - yep. Been playing drums and keyboards for about 25 years now...

Listen to Surfer Girl and you will hear what I mean. I haven't heard the album in awhile, but it sounds like an elementary schooler trying to keep time while concentrating. It's terrible. I just don't think he adds anything. But of course, I respect your opinion...
Big Bri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2006, 12:46:26 PM »

As I respect yours as well!!
One thing we do all agree on....Carl Wilson sounded amazing on this record.His voice was just so haunting and downright GOOD!! I miss him gang.
Big Bri
artie
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2006, 01:06:06 PM »

As I respect yours as well!!
One thing we do all agree on....Carl Wilson sounded amazing on this record.His voice was just so haunting and downright GOOD!! I miss him gang.
Big Bri

Amen. Sure miss Carl. While his writing skills were admittedly limited, his singing voice and his ability to perform live are what made the Brian-less Beach Boys shows still enjoyable. He was quite the musical workhorse and quite a perfectionist. Sort of like another deceased "brother", Maurice Gibb. Carl and Maurice were so much alike in their roles and talents.
Jason
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2006, 01:13:32 PM »

Amen. Sure miss Carl. While his writing skills were admittedly limited, his singing voice and his ability to perform live are what made the Brian-less Beach Boys shows still enjoyable. He was quite the musical workhorse and quite a perfectionist. Sort of like another deceased "brother", Maurice Gibb. Carl and Maurice were so much alike in their roles and talents.

I'll always love Carl for him firing Ernie Knapp after he rejoined the BBs in '82.
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2006, 06:49:22 PM »

Watch the Lost Concert artie, Dennys always hitting the ride through the verses... Ringo does alot too. 

Denny on Surfer Girl and In My Room live's drumming is very sensitive, I love it... It wouldn't sound right if it was high hats.  Surfin' USA and Shut Down he's doing great one handed rolls around the snare/toms (don't know the terminology, but it looks damn impressive)...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 07:12:25 PM by Matinee Idyll » Logged
artie
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2006, 05:20:43 AM »

One has to realize though, Ringo and Denny, in their defense, HAD to slam the ride cymbal and snare nonstop so the beat could be heard through all the screaming girls. Ringo has said that as soon as he went to the toms (a mid-low frequency) the beat would get lost...he had to stay on the ride (or occasionally a splashy high-hat) to keep that high frequency in the ears of John, Paul, and George. I am sure it was the same for Denny. There was no sucj thing as monitors then.

But that is totally different than Fataar's rudimentary playing. And there were not tons of screaming girls in the early '70s.
Big Bri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2006, 08:40:24 AM »

Interesting Artie,
  A little off topic if you'd be so indulgent:what's your take on both Neil Peart and Chester Thompson?
Bri
artie
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2006, 11:26:38 AM »

check out the general music category - we can move this there...I'll post
Big Bri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2006, 12:40:16 PM »

Roger That Artie!!!!
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2006, 09:47:21 AM »

I love how you can change songs like You Still Believe In Me and Caroline No from symphonic classical-like tunes to something full of lush synths and guitars. Shows how strong those songs are.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx