gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:30:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The Beach Boys In Concert
5 - 47 (51.6%)
4 - 37 (40.7%)
3 - 5 (5.5%)
2 - 1 (1.1%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 1 (1.1%)
Total Voters: 81

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys In Concert  (Read 63640 times)
KDS
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2015, 12:05:02 PM »

I'm glad an official document exists of the live Beach Boys at the very end of their decade as a creative force. 

At this point in their career, they may have peaked as a live act. 

This is, IMO, the most essential of all of the Beach Boys live albums.
Though they could be a little slip-shod, I'd say 1980 was their last peak. Those 1980 concerts rocked!

Unfortunately, I can't say I have a lot to go on, just live documents or footage I've seen.  So, my opinion might not be an qualified.  But, from what I've seen of the 1980 shows, Brian didn't really seem into them.  That's probably why I'd rank the In Concert era a little higher. 
I'm confused. Brian isn't on In Concert, so in 1980 whether he was into it or not, the band still put on a helluva show. 1980 was last year of big shows before Carl left. The shows changed quite a bit upon his return.

I agree the 1980 concerts I've seen were good.  I just prefer the recordings I've heard from 72-73 over the ones I've heard from 1980.  Plus, I like the Holland material and some of the deeper tracks (ie. Let the Wind Blow) from the 72-73 era. 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2015, 12:21:36 PM »

I'm glad an official document exists of the live Beach Boys at the very end of their decade as a creative force. 

Though they could be a little slip-shod, I'd say 1980 was their last peak. Those 1980 concerts rocked!

Unfortunately, I can't say I have a lot to go on, just live documents or footage I've seen.  So, my opinion might not be an qualified.  But, from what I've seen of the 1980 shows, Brian didn't really seem into them.  That's probably why I'd rank the In Concert era a little higher. 
I'm confused. Brian isn't on In Concert, so in 1980 whether he was into it or not, the band still put on a helluva show. 1980 was last year of big shows before Carl left. The shows changed quite a bit upon his return.

I agree the 1980 concerts I've seen were good.  I just prefer the recordings I've heard from 72-73 over the ones I've heard from 1980.  Plus, I like the Holland material and some of the deeper tracks (ie. Let the Wind Blow) from the 72-73 era. 
I agree with you there. Those 1972-73 era shows were terrific. The band, the setlists, even the types of venues were just magical. I was great growing up in that era.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2015, 07:00:42 AM »

Christening a new record player, spinning this fabulous live album as I type. Haven't put it on in years.. Oh, how I love this LP. What a marvelous band of musicians. You can't beat live BBs in the late 60s / early-mid 70s..
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2015, 11:00:59 AM »

I've probably heard this album more than any other album, by any artists. I love it.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2016, 03:13:24 PM »

The only 1980 show I've heard is Knebworth, and that's a great show, but not much from Brian there. I feel like he was trotted out onstage night after night just so they could say he was there, although it's possible the guys thought it would good for him to soak up all that love from the audience. Dennis, on the other hand, comes alive in front of a crowd. I am guessing his health was not great in '80, but I love seeing him standing on the piano, 'Elton John, eat your heart out!', and pounding the drums like he meant it.
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 10, 2016, 09:05:54 PM »

Let The Wind Blow is so fucking smooth. Replace Surfin U.S.A., Surfer Girl, and Fun Fun Fun with the '72/'73 live tracks on Made In California, Endless Harmony, and the Pet Sounds 50th anniversary boxset and you've got a 10/10 live album.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 09:07:48 PM by Skylarking » Logged

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2018, 06:46:10 AM »

How amazing is The Trader on this album though?!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx