gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:15:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The Beach Boys In Concert
5 - 47 (51.6%)
4 - 37 (40.7%)
3 - 5 (5.5%)
2 - 1 (1.1%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 1 (1.1%)
Total Voters: 81

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys In Concert  (Read 63604 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2012, 05:05:01 PM »

Absolutely pick up the 2000 remaster. It sounds better and has better transitions from song to song. It also has the full intro to Wouldn't It Be Nice.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2012, 05:06:44 PM »

Absolutely pick up the 2000 remaster. It sounds better and has better transitions from song to song. It also has the full intro to Wouldn't It Be Nice.

Thanks so much!  I was having a tough time finding info on differences between the two.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2012, 05:11:25 PM »

Thanks so much!  I was having a tough time finding info on differences between the two.
I'll just add that the Epic CD is the same as the vinyl release as far as those transitions and the abbreviated intro to WIBN.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
SgtTimBob
Smiley Smile Associate

Music Maker Extrodonaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2013, 03:59:55 PM »

I love the hard rocking Heroes and Villains on this. Also, no idea what people's beef about Funky Pretty being on there; it's a great song and this version has a really great live energy to it.

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2013, 10:57:29 AM »

I too am baffled by anyone moaning re Funky Pretty, Leaving This Town, etc. Christ, within a few years the group would be stuck on the oldies-only treadmill. We should all absolutely relish this period where the group dared to be more adventerous with their setlist choices.

This is one of the greatest live albums of all time!

5/5
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2013, 11:15:31 AM »

In Concert

Songs performed that are better than the studio version.
Funky Pretty
We Got Love
Marcella

Different, but on par with the studio version
Darlin'
Caroline No
Leaving This Town
Let The Wind Blow
Heroes & Villains (personally, my favorite version of the song)

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jurrasic Mark
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2013, 04:41:44 AM »

One of my absolute favourite Beach Boys albums. Love everything about it, they sound great.

On the topic of Ricky Fataar, I have been a drummer for about 16 years now, played everything from orchestral work to session work. I think Ricky is an excellent drummer and has great feel to his playing. I listen to this album a lot and he has a great style to him, I sometimes slip in a fill he did off this album for fun into other work.
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2013, 08:02:01 PM »

This album is great! I love it when bands perform "deeper" tracks, especially The Beach Boys. The songs on here are absolutely fantastic! Even the ones that seem a little sub-par are great. Like others, I agree that Marcella and Heroes and Villains really rock, and the slower tunes like Surfer Girl and Caroline, No are lovely. Plus, the only official place to find We Got Love. I would've liked to see some other songs on here (It's About Time, Wild Honey, Long Promised Road, etc), but hey, like I said, the album is great just how it is. Probably one of the best live releases I've heard from a band (with the possible exception of "Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!"). Nobody can do it quite like the Beach Boys.

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
bluesno1fann
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2013, 06:42:59 PM »

I just got this album on vinyl, and I LOVE IT! It's is by far their best live album, no contest. Even my dad, who hates the Beach Boys, was quite impressed!
Oh I wish that Chaplin and Fataar never left!
I change my vote to:
5 out of 5!
silodweller
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2013, 01:33:05 AM »

My only gripe with this album (I posted before but forgot this) is that there is no Dennis tracks. WHY, God, WHY?

Whilst searching for more info about "(Wouldn't It Be Nice To)Live Again" I stumbled upon an article about this "issue" concerning tracks that Dennis performs on, etc.  It could be a load of bull but the writer goes on to say that there was a lot of jealousy about the music Dennis was bringing in at that time and how they would come up with any kind of excuse to exclude the material in favour of their own.  I'm sure you have read this article before though.  The writer actually quotes Andrew G. Doe.  Anyway, I've often wondered why things like "4th of July" and "San Miguel" were never placed on any album. 

"Carl broke his cigarette over his G string, we're sorry..."
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2013, 12:10:50 PM »

5/5. Best live album by the band, or well actually pretty much best live album ever. Song list is amazing, it's really great to hear so many rarities and not just the usual hits. Only minus for not including Dennis' songs. I actually can't decide which one I like more: this or the 1980 Knebworth CD. Both are really special, in different ways. I listen these two pretty much most of all the BB albums.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 12:11:53 PM by RiC » Logged
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2014, 03:16:01 PM »

Outstanding release .. some of this was recorded at Hollywood Paladium 1973  at my 1st BB concert ever.. With my 1st girlfriend and 1st love of my life on the cover..  I still miss you baby..!!  The music is outstanding and my only complaint is no Dennis lead vocal.. Ive worn out numerous copies of this LP over the years and I still hold them to this standard of excellence .. 5/5 does not do this LP justice.. No words to describe the importance of this LP to myself  or the legacy of the BB..  Funny thing is BW isn't on it and it doesn't matter.. That's how good the BB were back then..! Alan's vocal on Don't Worry Baby + You Still Believe in Me  ..OUTSTANDING.. The whole LP reeks of SOUL.. Oh to a have a full concert on video to play + watch NOW.. Sure glad I was old enough to see them in the 70"s.. BLISS
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2014, 04:27:19 PM »

Outstanding release .. some of this was recorded at Hollywood Paladium 1973  at my 1st BB concert ever.. With my 1st girlfriend and 1st love of my life on the cover..  I still miss you baby..!!  The music is outstanding and my only complaint is no Dennis lead vocal.. Ive worn out numerous copies of this LP over the years and I still hold them to this standard of excellence .. 5/5 does not do this LP justice.. No words to describe the importance of this LP to myself  or the legacy of the BB..  Funny thing is BW isn't on it and it doesn't matter.. That's how good the BB were back then..! Alan's vocal on Don't Worry Baby + You Still Believe in Me  ..OUTSTANDING.. The whole LP reeks of SOUL.. Oh to a have a full concert on video to play + watch NOW.. Sure glad I was old enough to see them in the 70"s.. BLISS
Great review, Mr. Wilson! All of the concerts  that I attended from 69 through 1974 were great shows. The three I saw in 1972-1973 were just outstanding. I got see 7 Beach Boys on one stage at the first 1972 show.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2014, 05:20:51 PM »

Thank you.. I saw BB twice in 73.. { May 73 + 12-31-73 } and twice in 74.. and every year after.. If I told you how many times I've seen BB since that 1st show you would think im NUTS..!! Lets say DEADHEAD..! LOL.. I didn't get to see them before 73 because I wasn't aware how to find out ticket's were available.. Found out there were ad's in LA Times calendar section of the paper.. Now you seeing BB in 69 -72 that must have been something..?? ..  You saw BB perform songs that haven't been performed since..!
slippingonthrough
Smiley Smile Associate

Male eagle walking down the street....

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2014, 02:05:46 AM »

The best live album by far. Although I do wish the audience was turned up a bit, it doesn't feel very live. And also there should be some Dennis songs on here. Marcella rocks on this.

Highlights (for me) : Marcella, Funky Pretty, Leaving This Town, Don't Worry Baby and We Got Love.

5/5
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2014, 05:49:37 AM »

The best live album by far. Although I do wish the audience was turned up a bit, it doesn't feel very live. And also there should be some Dennis songs on here. Marcella rocks on this.

Highlights (for me) : Marcella, Funky Pretty, Leaving This Town, Don't Worry Baby and We Got Love.

5/5
That type of recording of live shows was in vogue in the 70's. Even the fading of audience noise between songs. The original album release and Epic/Caribou CD have these fades more so than the Capitol CD where Linett made it flow a bit nicer. Thankfully, he also fixed the intro of WIBN. It was truncated on the other releases.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2014, 01:15:24 PM »

Great album, it's a toss up between this and Beach Boys '69, but I lean towards this one just because there's more of it. Still, it seems odd that with all the raves Dennis' songs were getting in concert reviews of this time period, they did not include even one Dennis lead vocal. Also would've been nice to have a live version of Long Promised Road, but otherwise, a very strong live album. We Got Love turns out to be a good track, hard to understand why it was dumped from Holland. And some of these live versions better their studio counterparts - especially Darlin'. I first heard this version on the Ten Years of Harmony comp, and it just blew me away.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2014, 04:07:40 PM »

I still love this LP. The version of Heroes is SO SO SO good. Rocks like a mother. I do have to say the version of Darlin on the Knebworth CD is THE live version for me. When Carl hollers "I keep dreaming about Darlin'", still sends chills down my spine.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2014, 05:36:06 PM »

In Concert

Songs performed that are better than the studio version.
Funky Pretty
We Got Love
Marcella

Different, but on par with the studio version
Darlin'
Caroline No
Leaving This Town
Let The Wind Blow
Heroes & Villains (personally, my favorite version of the song)

I would most definitely add Trader to the 'better than studio version' list. Absolutely killer. A wonderful song, and whenever I want to hear it this is the version I go for.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2014, 05:40:52 PM »

This album taught me how great Carl's voice really was.

This 200%. Pet Sounds first introduced me to Brian's genius, POB to Dennis', this album to Carl's.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2015, 09:43:09 AM »

<<I vehemently disagree. His drumming is rudimentary at best. Sounds like a sixth grader banging out beats in his basement. Nothing the least bit tasty. Too much hard snare and he plays the ride cymbal on the verses - a no-no for any drummer who knows how to play to the song. >>

I have to respond to this post from Artie... from about 9 years ago, lol.  I'm nothing if not timely.

But the fact is that Ricky Fataar was Carl's favorite of all of the Beach Boys drummers... he actually described his drumming as "tasty."
KDS
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2015, 10:38:46 AM »

I'm glad an official document exists of the live Beach Boys at the very end of their decade as a creative force. 

At this point in their career, they may have peaked as a live act. 

This is, IMO, the most essential of all of the Beach Boys live albums.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2015, 10:45:13 AM »

I'm glad an official document exists of the live Beach Boys at the very end of their decade as a creative force. 

Though they could be a little slip-shod, I'd say 1980 was their last peak. Those 1980 concerts rocked!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
KDS
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2015, 11:20:09 AM »

Though they could be a little slip-shod, I'd say 1980 was their last peak. Those 1980 concerts rocked!

Unfortunately, I can't say I have a lot to go on, just live documents or footage I've seen.  So, my opinion might not be an qualified.  But, from what I've seen of the 1980 shows, Brian didn't really seem into them.  That's probably why I'd rank the In Concert era a little higher. 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2015, 11:47:21 AM »

Unfortunately, I can't say I have a lot to go on, just live documents or footage I've seen.  So, my opinion might not be an qualified.  But, from what I've seen of the 1980 shows, Brian didn't really seem into them.  That's probably why I'd rank the In Concert era a little higher. 
I'm confused. Brian isn't on In Concert, so in 1980 whether he was into it or not, the band still put on a helluva show. 1980 was last year of big shows before Carl left. The shows changed quite a bit upon his return.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,