gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680843 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 06:59:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Semi-OT: VDP's 2008 Work w/ Inara George  (Read 2359 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2008, 06:08:45 PM »

I realize this isn't quite on topic, but it's not quite off, either. Feel free to move it, mods, if you want. But I received a week or so ago my advance of the forthcoming "Inara George with Van Dyke Parks" (that's how it's credited) album An Invitation and want to bring people's attention to it. Inara is the daughter the late Lowell George (Mothers of Invention and Little Feat), and this is her second solo album; she also is a part of Bird and the Bee. This album features her songs and arrangements entirely by VDP: almost exclusively chamber arrangements, with just a little bit of nylon-string and acoustic guitar here and there. It's really good music, and accessible, too--don't be afraid of VDP! Van Dyke told me "it was simply the most enjoyable experience I've had in arranging." You can hear three of the songs on her myspace,  http://www.myspace.com/inarageorge (they are the top three). I love this album: it's like a Disney soundtrack beneath really good pop songs. Entirely enjoyable. It will be released in the U.S. on August 12.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 06:11:12 PM by Luther » Logged

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 06:14:29 AM »

Thank you Luther! -
noted with great joy. Didn't know about it at all.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 12:37:42 PM »

Good news indeed.
I'm a VDP collector and always waiting for new VDP stuff. He's been quite active lately - check out his arrangements on Replica Sun Machine by Shortwave Set, totally different from Inara's album, but also good. A couple of weeks ago I came across the VDP produced Spooked album by Marley's Ghost (cover art by Robert Crumb, it that still rings a bell) again a totally different bag (shantees, traditionals and even a Dylan cover version), it was released 2006.

Watson, did you hear this?
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 12:43:10 PM »

Also, VDP has recently worked with Clare and The Reasons. AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING stuff. Big fans of BW and very influenced by his stuff. You'll love it. "Pluto" is a new favorite of mine.
www.myspace.com/claremuldaur
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 12:48:35 PM »

Also, VDP has recently worked with Clare and The Reasons. AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING stuff. Big fans of BW and very influenced by his stuff. You'll love it. "Pluto" is a new favorite of mine.
www.myspace.com/claremuldaur
She is great.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 03:01:19 AM »

Inara George does a great version of Little Feat's 'Trouble' on the new LF 'duets' album 'Join the Band' - which also happens to be one of the best sounding CDs I've bought in ages. Richie Hayward's drum work continues to astonish. Lovely version of 'Fat Man in the Bathtub'. Way off topic - except I discovered Little Feat at the start of 1973 - exactly the time I was listening to 'Holland', and the two kind of fitted... (suppose Brian had written songs with Lowell George...)
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 08:05:38 AM »

VDP produced, arranged and played piano on Inara's studio version of "Trouble" on the Lowell George tribute sampler 'Rock'n'Roll Doctor' (1997).
He fulfilled the same duties on Nicolette Larson's version on her 'In the Nick of Time' album (1979). Barrere, Payne and Tackett are featured as the backing band on that.

chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 08:25:26 AM »

And of course (I've just remembered), Van Dyke Parks produced and arranged Lowell's 'Spanish Moon' from 'Feats Don't Fail Me Now'.
Actually I saw Little Feat 2 weeks ago at a UK festival. Fantastic band.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 08:26:42 AM by chris.metcalfe » Logged
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 01:07:27 PM »

...and played marimba and sang backing vocals on "Cheek To Cheek" from Lowell's solo album - by the way anyone knows who's supposed to be the guy between Marlene Dietrich and Fidel Castro on the cover?

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 05:36:37 PM »

...by the way anyone knows who's supposed to be the guy between Marlene Dietrich and Fidel Castro on the cover?

Looks like Mr. Dylan to me.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx