gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:29:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson in the History Of Rock  (Read 7869 times)
rocker P
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2006, 09:28:06 PM »

Wilson's attempt to conquer the Beatles left him a drug addicted mental patient, comatose in his bed, while lead singer, co-writer and founder Mike Love led the group through concert tours keeping the group in league with The Rolling Stones and U2, as well as creating the groups best known hit "Kokomo". Wilson made a return to the public eye in the 1980s under the care of controversial guru Eugene Levy who used Wilson's name to create an album, that was mostly the work of studio musicians and yielded no hit singles. Courts ordered Levy and Wilson to seperate in the 90's, which saw Wilson release a gospel album called Imagination, mostly the work of a former wrestler who Wilson had met in Chicago. Wilson returned to live performance in 2004 backed by a Los Angeles folk group called The Wondertwins and a full orchestra,  as Wilson sat in a wheelchair, occasionaly singing along to  a recreation of the infamous "Smile" album, a song cycle simialr to the Beatles "Abbey Roads" and Pink Floyd's "The Wall", which had been brought back out of the archives as a result of Wilson's writers block. A contemporay christian album by Wilson followed in 2005.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 09:29:45 PM »

controversial guru Eugene Levy

CLASSIC!

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 11:34:27 PM »

First I've ever heard of Brian's wheelchair!
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 01:25:49 AM »

Wilson's attempt to conquer the Beatles left him a drug addicted mental patient, comatose in his bed, while lead singer, co-writer and founder Mike Love led the group through concert tours keeping the group in league with The Rolling Stones and U2, as well as creating the groups best known hit "Kokomo". Wilson made a return to the public eye in the 1980s under the care of controversial guru Eugene Levy who used Wilson's name to create an album, that was mostly the work of studio musicians and yielded no hit singles. Courts ordered Levy and Wilson to seperate in the 90's, which saw Wilson release a gospel album called Imagination, mostly the work of a former wrestler who Wilson had met in Chicago. Wilson returned to live performance in 2004 backed by a Los Angeles folk group called The Wondertwins and a full orchestra,  as Wilson sat in a wheelchair, occasionaly singing along to  a recreation of the infamous "Smile" album, a song cycle simialr to the Beatles "Abbey Roads" and Pink Floyd's "The Wall", which had been brought back out of the archives as a result of Wilson's writers block. A contemporay christian album by Wilson followed in 2005.

So now we know!

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 02:37:53 AM »

A contemporary Christian album by Wilson followed in 2005.

So that's what we're calling Christmas albums these days?
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 02:55:50 AM »

We're Partners in life, Brian.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 04:36:43 AM »

These Wondertwins... they any good ?

And Abbey Roads... that's the gatefold double set, right ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 05:59:30 AM »

Sad but true.... That's how many people see it....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 09:54:08 AM »

this is the biggest load of crap since Mike Love's speech at the induction of R&R hall of Fame, i think that's where it was

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 11:21:49 AM »

What IS this book?  And who wrote it?  and who published such rubbish?

This sounds like some interpretation of bits  of  American pop culture done by a semi-bilingual guy living somewhere in a nonwestern country.  Do the Beachboys get airplay in Aghanistan?

Someone is pulling my leg...........right?

Sounds like Andy Kaufman's foriegn man wrote this.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 11:25:11 AM by donald » Logged
Chris D.
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 11:39:42 AM »

And Abbey Roads... that's the gatefold double set, right ?

Andrew, which disc do you prefer?  High Road or Low Road?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2006, 12:06:52 PM »

Andy Kaufman as Latka- Thank you, Thank you very  Much!     Grin

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
al
Smiley Smile Associate

Home again Home again jiggety jig...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2006, 01:10:10 PM »

Is this real or a put on? - I've read stuff close to this that IS real, but it's a damn good one!
JukeboxTim
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006, 01:23:39 PM »

ahh... Jayna and Zan: the Wonder Twins
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 01:36:10 PM by JukeboxTim » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 08:07:34 PM »

Imagination is a gospel album?! Funny...I always thought it sounded like hell.  Grin

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rocker P
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2006, 02:26:45 PM »

Wilson employed seasonal musicians, barring the Beach Boys from ever playing a note on a single recording,with the exception of founder/co-writer Mike Love's saxaphone which was fearured on minor hits like "Shut Down","Darlin", and "Blueberry over the Mountain".Several of Wilson's "Wrecking Crew" as they were called went on to become Glen Campbell,The Captain and Tenille. These musicians figured promently on Wilson's "Pet Sounds", a drastic and nearly career killing opus which told the story of Wilson's fathers ailing health to a morose baroque musical theatre inspired background. History of Rock author Peter Longe spoke to Wilson about this recently: "Now on Pet Sounds, you went with a morose baroque musical theatre inspired background,right?"  "Yes." replied Wilson. The album confused most of the record buying public who associated the Boys with lighthearyed sand romps like "Chug-a-Lug" and "Karate", it yieled a minor hit in Sloop John B, a cover which Wilson derived from The Kingsmen, a group known by Al Jardine, who took his first lead vocal on "On Christmas Day".
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2006, 03:26:09 PM »

The album confused most of the record buying public who associated the Boys with lighthearyed sand romps like "Chug-a-Lug" and "Karate"
Ah yes - the dizzying heights of 'Chug-a-Lug' and 'Karate' - very tough to top.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2006, 04:30:46 PM »

a drastic and nearly career killing opus which told the story of Wilson's fathers ailing health to a morose baroque musical theatre inspired background.

Whoever you are, Rocker, I want to have your children.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Evenreven
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2006, 01:57:03 AM »

Best thread ever.
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2006, 02:10:13 AM »

This is reminding me of a bloke called Samuel K. Ampong who I dimly remember from the letters page of the NME in the late 1970s.  He used to write these hilarious absurdist letters about 'Beatles band' - 'Where is Beatles band?'  I can't remember enough to really imitate him but he was funny.  Does anyone else, of my vintage, remember Sam? 

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2006, 03:29:20 AM »

"History of Rock author Peter Longe spoke to Wilson about this recently: "Now on Pet Sounds, you went with a morose baroque musical theatre inspired background,right?"  "Yes." replied Wilson."

Grin That´s beyond genuis!!!

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2006, 03:43:16 AM »

Several of Wilson's "Wrecking Crew" as they were called went on to become Glen Campbell...
I want to know which wrecking crew members became Glenn Campbell.
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2006, 03:48:41 AM »

Basically everyone, except Carol. She went on to become Hal Blaine.  Grin

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2006, 05:25:09 AM »

a drastic and nearly career killing opus which told the story of Wilson's fathers ailing health to a morose baroque musical theatre inspired background.

Whoever you are, Rocker, I want to have your children.
^

Do I have to live in fear now ?  Shocked

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
al
Smiley Smile Associate

Home again Home again jiggety jig...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2006, 11:35:59 AM »

awesome stuff, you had me going for a while there.....too close to what they do print for comfort!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx