gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:11:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike & Bruce at the Stanislaus County Fair --- Turlock, California  (Read 15851 times)
cwalter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2008, 12:13:47 AM »

Just got back from the show...Lots of fun...Good performances all around.

That Cowsill fellow on drums was tearing it up. Also heard some guitar edge that I'd never heard at any previous show.

Most obscure song:  Ballad of Ole' Betsy  (Surprise!)

Nice versions of:

When I Grow Up
Be True To Your School
Still Cruisin' (don't laugh---it sounded great were they dropped it)
God Only Knows
Summertime Blues (they were the WHO for about 25 seconds no joke)
Do It Again

Say what you will about the touring BBoys, but they put on a great show and packed the small arena here in American Graffiti country...

Admission to the fair:  $8.00 (with Taco Bell discount coupon)
Beach Boys on the Free Stage:  Priceless

Take care all---

The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 06:46:13 PM »

Sounds like a great show.

I personally have never seen the Mike & Bruce show, but have seen Brian a bunch in the last few years, and I'm really hoping to see their show soon. I think for my personal tastes, I'd like their show better anyway, and they do as many 'obscure' songs as Brian these days!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 05:01:31 PM »

Even with the amount of "obscurities" they do in their shows these days, does Mike and Bruce's show even measure up the the BBs early 70s shows?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
miamidan
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 11:00:36 AM »

As good as the current BB shows are (and the one I saw a couple weeks ago in Atlanta was very good), I don't think any incarnation of the band could truly "measure up" to the power of the live Beach Boys concerts of the early 70's.  They were at their live performance peak at that time and I've never seen any other act that could measure up very well in comparison.  Those days are gone forever, though.  I'm just glad that the current incarnation of the band is still touring.  I sure would like to see Dave Marks become a regular member, though, and remain puzzled by Al's continuing absence.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 08:12:13 AM »

As good as the current BB shows are (and the one I saw a couple weeks ago in Atlanta was very good), I don't think any incarnation of the band could truly "measure up" to the power of the live Beach Boys concerts of the early 70's.  They were at their live performance peak at that time and I've never seen any other act that could measure up very well in comparison.  Those days are gone forever, though.  I'm just glad that the current incarnation of the band is still touring.  I sure would like to see Dave Marks become a regular member, though, and remain puzzled by Al's continuing absence.

I know the modern "BB" live shows will never have the power of their 70s shows, their old men, its expected they won't be as energetic as they once were. By beef is that the "obscurities" they do now aren't obscure enough for me, plus, only 2 or 3 "obscure" songs in the whole show doesn't quite cut it for me. Where's "Feel Flows", "Long Promised Road", "Cabin Essence", "You Still Believe In Me", "Anna Lee, The Healer", "Let The Wind Blow", "Surf's Up", "Do You Like Worms?", "Funky Pretty", "River Song", "We Got Love", "Here She Comes", "Angel Come Home", "Where I Belong", "Cool Cool Water", "You Need A Mess of Help To Stand Alone", "Vega-Tables", "She's Goin' Bald", etc., etc.?

I personally don't foresee the Mike and Bruce Endless Summer In Kokomo Golden Oldies Revue featuring John Stamos getting much more adventurous in their setlists than "Disney Girls", "All This Is That", and maybe a couple of album tracks from the early days every now and again. "The Beach Boys" as an actual group, and not just a "brand name" used by the Lovester to sell concert tickets to unsuspecting casual fans, pretty much DIED WITH CARL!! The only way to have a legitimate BB reunion would be to involve at least one Wilson brother; since Brian is the only surviving Wilson brother and wants nothing to do with the group anymore, the current touring "Beach Boys" are nothing more than a tribute band that happens to be fronted by a former member of the group.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 09:02:24 AM by ascrodin » Logged

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

miamidan
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 09:33:37 AM »

Like you I would very much like to see the current version of the band do more of the deep album cuts.  I think that the band would probably like to do more of those cuts as well.  Have you been to the shows, though?  I suspect not, because if you had your opinion would probably be based more in the reality that the band has to deal with.  It is precisely the "obscurities" that you and I would like to hear more of that sends much of the audience to the concession stands.  Bands - or at least the ones who like to see people in the audience dancing and hear them applauding - take note of the songs that the audience reacts to and keep them in the setlist.  Keep playing to your hardcore minority who want the deep album cuts and you'll likely see the size of your crowds diminish over time.  Carl understood this concept and when he was the stage leader the shows were also built around the hits.  Brian's current tours - even those that have showcased the "Pet Sounds" and "SMiLE" albums, have always included the biggest hits of the Beach Boys.  I assume that you take no humbrage to Brian's band building their shows around these tunes.

The fact that the current sets do include the occasional album cuts are a clear attempt by Mike Love to recognize the depth of the band's catalogue and to at least offer a taste of the rarities to the relatively small number of us in the audience who actually appreciate hearing them, while still keeping the majority of the crowd happy.  From the less than flattering terms you tend to use in referring to the band you've made it clear that you disapprove of their touring under the Beach Boys banner.  That is your right and if it amuses you to belittle 66 year old men who continue to introduce to new generations the music of Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys in public forums dedicated to celebrating that music you should by all means continue to do so.  While you are mounting your inconsequential internet message board assaults, though, rest assured that hundreds of thousands of people across the United States, Europe and Australia will continue to be entertained by what Mike and Bruce are doing.  The journeys of the surviving individual members of the Beach Boys are all approaching the end of the proverbial trail.  The day will soon be here when there is no opportunity to go to a summer concert and hear the opening chords of "California Girls" followed by the familiar Mike Love lead.  Apparently that day can't come soon enough for you.  Personally, I am not looking forward to it.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 08:44:50 PM »

Like you I would very much like to see the current version of the band do more of the deep album cuts.  I think that the band would probably like to do more of those cuts as well.  Have you been to the shows, though?  I suspect not, because if you had your opinion would probably be based more in the reality that the band has to deal with.  It is precisely the "obscurities" that you and I would like to hear more of that sends much of the audience to the concession stands.  Bands - or at least the ones who like to see people in the audience dancing and hear them applauding - take note of the songs that the audience reacts to and keep them in the setlist.  Keep playing to your hardcore minority who want the deep album cuts and you'll likely see the size of your crowds diminish over time.  Carl understood this concept and when he was the stage leader the shows were also built around the hits.  Brian's current tours - even those that have showcased the "Pet Sounds" and "SMiLE" albums, have always included the biggest hits of the Beach Boys.  I assume that you take no humbrage to Brian's band building their shows around these tunes.

The fact that the current sets do include the occasional album cuts are a clear attempt by Mike Love to recognize the depth of the band's catalogue and to at least offer a taste of the rarities to the relatively small number of us in the audience who actually appreciate hearing them, while still keeping the majority of the crowd happy.  From the less than flattering terms you tend to use in referring to the band you've made it clear that you disapprove of their touring under the Beach Boys banner.  That is your right and if it amuses you to belittle 66 year old men who continue to introduce to new generations the music of Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys in public forums dedicated to celebrating that music you should by all means continue to do so.  While you are mounting your inconsequential internet message board assaults, though, rest assured that hundreds of thousands of people across the United States, Europe and Australia will continue to be entertained by what Mike and Bruce are doing.  The journeys of the surviving individual members of the Beach Boys are all approaching the end of the proverbial trail.  The day will soon be here when there is no opportunity to go to a summer concert and hear the opening chords of "California Girls" followed by the familiar Mike Love lead.  Apparently that day can't come soon enough for you.  Personally, I am not looking forward to it.

What a great, great, GREAT post! Obviously, I totally concur with your views. Please, post more...
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 03:02:35 AM »

Even at their weirdest, uncommercial-est peak, the Beach Boys never did songs like She's Goin' Bald or Do You Like Worms. I'm pretty sure their regular setlist, or at least the ones they play in Great Britain, have at least one song from every album released except Friends and Love You. Yes, it would be ridiculously awesome if they did A Day in the Life of a Tree or HELP is on the Way or Johnny Carson or Be Here in the Morning, but wouldn't it make more sense to make 99% of the audience happy as opposed to making  1% of the audience happy?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 09:33:33 AM »

Yes, my opinions pretty much are inconsequential...I guess I'm just mad because I was born a few decades too late to see a Jack Reiley-era Beach Boys show. I don't expect Love's "Beach Boys" to stop doing what they're doing anytime soon. Maybe I've been reading too much Dom Priore, maybe I've gotten into the post-Pet Sounds-era a little too much, maybe Mike Love seems to me (at least through his public persona and his actions, i.e. Endless Lawsuits) like he's a royal furo de buro. A greedy, cynical guy who's using the Beach Boys' legacy and songs as a way to make money off of unsuspecting casual fans who don't know the group's history. The people that Carl called "The Meat and Potatoes crowd". I don't think Mike and Bruce should stop touring, I just think they should just do the honorable thing, and tour as "Mike and Bruce from The Beach Boys", instead of misleading people into thinking that Brian, Al, Dave, etc. are also still in the group. If Mike is reading this he's probably going to try to sue me for defamation:lol.

Yes, I'll admit it...I'm blinded by my die-hard fandom! Plus, I've been reading a lot of Dom Priore.

miamidan
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 11:56:56 AM »

"Yes, I'll admit it...I'm blinded by my die-hard fandom! Plus, I've been reading a lot of Dom Priore."

Nothing wrong with reading Dom Priore, my friend, I have his books and reference them myself.  I only wish that he didn't use his books, which are filled with very usable FACTS, as a platform for advancing his own OPINIONS regarding the individuals in the band, not to mention his personal political agenda.  I prefer to develop my opinions about people as individuals based on my own experience with them and not based on what someone else (who may well have an agenda of his own) thinks.  As unthinkable as it is, I recently became aware of the fact that there are people out there who actually say bad things about ME.   Smiley 

As I'm sure you've gleaned, many of the people who have written books about the Beach Boys have sought to portray a real life heroes and villains scenario within the band, with Mike Love playing the villain.  I've never met the guy so I don't have enough information to have an informed opinion about him personally.  I think, though, that Jon Stebbins' book, "The Lost Beach Boy", has re-written much of what was previously accepted as historical fact concerning the band, and Mike is shown in a much more sympathetic light than he was in many previous books.  I had the great privilege in May of meeting and spending a few hours with Dave and Carrie Marks and it was evident that each of them considers Mike Love to be a friend and a decent guy.  I have much respect for the work of Dom Priore, but I suspect that Dave Marks has significantly more personal experience with Mike on which to base his opinion than Dom does.

With regard to the Jack Rieley era Beach Boys shows, they were awesome.  It's a shame that someone hasn't put together a high quality dvd of live shows from the early '70's.  I think that there is enough material in the vaults to do it.  I continue to hope that such a dvd will be a project that the powers that be in BBdom will take on one day.  I hope that all fans of the band will one day be able to see and hear for themselves what those shows were like.

Jason
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 09:05:27 AM »

I would dare say that 99% of the folks who go to a Mike and Bruce show pretty much only know "that dude with the nasal lead vocals" as those vocals built 90% of the hits anyway.

And if we're going to chastise Mike and Bruce for playing a greatest hits show, we might as well chastise the touring band going back to, oh, say, Endless Summer, back when Carl led the live band. It's ok when Carl caters to the meat and potatoes crowd but not when Mike does?

Board's turning blue. Smiley

PS - for those who heard the band in April of this year in England, note the 55-song setlists. A good 25-30 of those songs were the rarer, more obscure titles.

And as far as ascrodin's list of potential album tracks that Mike and Bruce could tackle, well....not even Brian's tackling those with a few exceptions, so what makes anyone think Mike and Bruce will? Anna Lee, The Healer? I don't even think the hardcore fans would take kindly to that one.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 09:01:32 AM »

just saw this thread and wanted to make a small comment.

i saw the group in my home town of ashland, ky last month. this was my 126th beach boys concert but only the 2nd one since carl died. let me just say i was blown away. they were great. played 2 hours. not one missed note all night. did quite a few rarer songs also. the band played tight and had an edge i hadn't heard in a long time. they rocked!
i will gladly travel to see them again, hope to do so soon. the band now sounds better that over 90% of the original lineup shows i have seen. they were/are that good.

and they care about the fans. scott and john even walked a block from the concert hall 45 minutes before the show to talk to me and donald plus our wifes for 30 minutes. that was cool and so were they.

see them while you have a chance. enjoy the show. they do a great job. it's all about the music anyway.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
cwalter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 09:18:36 PM »

Hey!  Glad I checked back after 3 or so months...Neat conversation this turned into. 

And I'll echo Steve's comment that, if you have the chance, go see a show!  Alex, trust me here...Attend a show if you can and just have a good time; go into it open and you'll leave happy that you went.

I first saw the BB in July '86, so I missed the old days as well.  Didn't see them again until the Mike & Bruce version started hitting the County Fair circuit around '99 or so. Since then, I eagerly scope out the three Fairs within reach and invariably they show up on the bill at one or another.  Corn dogs, cotton candy, beer, popcorn and soda pop along with (as miamidan said) guessing whether the opening cords are 'California Girls' or 'Do It Again'...Man I love those Summer Nights!

Time is not on their side of course. Not sure how long they (and Brian) have left, but I jump at any chance to hear all those great tunes once more. And as far as the rare selections go, I always hear a tune that I hadn't heard live at a previous show...This time it was 'Ballad of Ole Betsy'.

And as I mentioned on my initial post (and Steve attested to), the current band ROCKS, with a rythym section that is stronger than any I've heard at previous shows.

miamidan:  I'm about two-thirds of the way through 'The Lost Beach Boy', and am really enjoying the read. Like you said, quite a different take on the early days; I'm rationing the pages so I don't finish reading too quick!  ESQ had a nice article on Hawthorne, Dave Marks and the old days a couple years back; worth tracking down (like all ESQ issues) if you can.

Take care all---     
Ann
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2008, 11:09:55 AM »

I'm not sure which catergory of fan I fit into, I just love the music. Have to say that I feel a bit inadequate after reading some of the posts on here.

I first saw the Beach Boys in concert in the UK in the mid 60s and find it hard to believe that I am posting on a message board about them 40 odd years later. I saw the current BBs in April this year on their UK tour and have to admit that I thought twice before buying tickets. But if I hadn't then I wouldn't have seen David Marks and Scott Totten playing guitar together for a start,  or heard one of the best or maybe the best live version of Good Vibrations. (yes it was terrific ) And yes I know David Marks doesn't appear all the time,  mores the pity,  but there is still Scott Totten. The whole evening took me back  those 40 odd years. I would now so like to see Al with them, feels right somehow. Never say never. And when you overhear people in a store talking about a concert months after it happened and saying how good it was,  it does make you smile and think you were right to buy tickets for the umpteenth time.

So if you get an opportunity to see Mike, Bruce and co, go, it really is worth it.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2008, 08:21:25 PM »

I listened to a recording of a Mike and Bruce show from '07 a couple of weeks ago, and I was surprised at how good they were. Still not the REAL Beach Boys, and still a far cry from the glory days of 1970-75.....but MUCH MUCH better than a lot of the BBs 80s and 90s shows (Carl's parts and the '93 Box Set tour excluded).
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 08:22:34 PM by Alex » Logged

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2008, 09:06:43 AM »

just saw this thread and wanted to make a small comment.

i saw the group in my home town of ashland, ky last month. this was my 126th beach boys concert but only the 2nd one since carl died. let me just say i was blown away. they were great. played 2 hours. not one missed note all night. did quite a few rarer songs also. the band played tight and had an edge i hadn't heard in a long time. they rocked!
i will gladly travel to see them again, hope to do so soon. the band now sounds better that over 90% of the original lineup shows i have seen. they were/are that good.

and they care about the fans. scott and john even walked a block from the concert hall 45 minutes before the show to talk to me and donald plus our wifes for 30 minutes. that was cool and so were they.

see them while you have a chance. enjoy the show. they do a great job. it's all about the music anyway.

We did indeed have a great evening.  I agree 100 percent with Steve.  I've been to numerous Beachboys and BW shows over the past decades but I don't recall seeing many that topped this.  Mike and Bruce have surrounded themselves with some first rate musicians  who are also great performers and personalities.

Go see all three bands Al, Brian, and Mike.   I can't imagine any of the hard  core fans here would be disappointed.  As Steve said, Its all about the music and these guys give you a double helping.
TylerB
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 01:21:31 PM »

I saw Bruce and Mike in '05 and was only mildly impressed, though since then my love for the band's back catalog has grown tremendously. I recently found out that they would be coming to town next month, playing at an Indian casino in Tulsa. My first reaction was indifference, but after hearing such resounding testimonies I'm having second thoughts. Decisions, decisions.

KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 01:30:26 PM »

You are a genius!!!!!

Spot on!!!!!
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 01:34:52 PM »

"Maybe I've been reading too much Dom Priore"

Also genius!!!!

If there were less Dom Priore's in the world there would probably be more people in Mike and Bruce's audience who would respond well to the obscure nuggets. But you're always going to have too many "fans" who've read Priore and have counted and tallied exactly how ""few contributions Mike made for Pet Sounds (as if it's the only album in the world) and stay home or just go see Brian.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx