gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 01:44:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paley Sessions, your opinions...  (Read 26324 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2008, 01:37:14 AM »

Problem I have with these sessions is that, with very few exceptions, they all sound like they were recorded on the same day, with the same instruments and the same board settings (excluding the Was fly-ins, of course). Some great stuff, but also some clunkers.

I noticed you've never really commented on these sessions until now, apart from calling them overrated in your book.  I'm torn on it. Honestly, Brian's during that time period was pretty bad. But, man, I love GIOMH, and It's not Easy being green...er...Me.  The opening part of the latter reminds of "All in the Family" for some reason, and I almost expect to hear Edith Bunker screeching. Yet, the lyrics are good, Brian sounds like he's singing from the heart, and it's my favorite song he's done solo. If those are his lyrics, good job Brian. If they're not, well...someone know's Brian well.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2008, 05:41:44 AM »

The big problem with The Paley sessions was the write-up they got from Dom Priore in Kingsley which promised something only slightly less than Pet Sounds II. On the whole they were good, but not that good. If I may appropriate Jasper's list, here's my view of them:

Keepers:
Getting In Over My Head
You're Still A Mystery
Soul Searchin'
It's Not Easy Being Me
Slightly American Music
My Mary Anne
This Could Be The Night
This Song Wants To Sleep With You Tonight

borderline;
Desert Drive
What Rock'n'Roll Can Do
God Did It
Some Sweet Day
I'm Broke
Must Be A Miracle
Elbow '63
Goin' Home
Frankie Avalon

Clunkers;
Dancing The Night Away
Proud Mary
Market Place
Chain Reaction of Love

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2008, 06:12:45 AM »

I thought asking publicly was a no-no.....

I didn't think I was asking any more obviously than anyone else has with other recordings, but cart me off to jail, I guess.   Evil   . I figure if everyone is talking about it as if they own it, that's just as bad, in a way. 

Oh well, I'm sure I'll hear it some day, some way. 
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2008, 11:17:15 AM »

If we're including "This Could Be The Night" in this list, then let me add that I love the "Sweets For My Sweet" cover from this era that was released on the Doc Pomus tribute album. It's one of the stronger rock arrangements that Brian's pulled off in the past twenty years.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2008, 03:42:35 PM »

Here's my version of Jasper's list:

1. Getting In Over My Head *****
2. You're Still A Mystery *****
3. Soul Searchin' *****
4. It's Not Easy Being Me ****
5. Slightly American Music ***** (an extra star for all of the quotes it has, which are so much fun!)
6. My Mary Anne ****1/2
7. This Could Be The Night  ****
8. This Song Wants To Sleep With You Tonight *****
9. Desert Drive ****
God Did It **
Some Sweet Day ***
I'm Broke  ***
10. Must Be A Miracle  ****
Goin' Home **
11. Frankie Avalon ***1/2
Dancing The Night Away **
Proud Mary *** (an extra star because it's kinda a guilty pleasure)
Market Place *
12. Chain Reaction of Love **** 1/2

Needless to say, if a album would've been a tracklisting like one I've just given, with cleaned-up recordings of a few, I would call it Brian's best at least Love You, if not the Sunflower era, but a match for Pet Sounds is pushing it...a bit, although I'm one to say that "Everything I Need" from 1996 could've easily been on PS with the BB singing it...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 06:51:25 PM by TdHabib » Logged

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2008, 04:31:41 PM »

A lot of good material here.  Funny about 'Proud Mary'.  People love it or hate it.  I love it but it might be the 'Barbara Ann' effect.  If you heard the CCR/Tina turner versions a million times, you don't want to hear another.

I have questions about these sessions:

1) Brian's vocals sound 'DIFFERENT'.  Were they using pitch correction on them?

2) 'Desert Drive' - was this intended as an instrumental or was it recorded as a backing tracking for a Mike Love vocal on the abandoned last Beach Boys album?  Agree it would have been a great single with ML singing lead.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2008, 04:36:46 PM »

Problem I have with these sessions is that, with very few exceptions, they all sound like they were recorded on the same day, with the same instruments and the same board settings (excluding the Was fly-ins, of course). Some great stuff, but also some clunkers.

I noticed you've never really commented on these sessions until now, apart from calling them overrated in your book.  I'm torn on it. Honestly, Brian's during that time period was pretty bad. But, man, I love GIOMH, and It's not Easy being green...er...Me.  The opening part of the latter reminds of "All in the Family" for some reason, and I almost expect to hear Edith Bunker screeching. Yet, the lyrics are good, Brian sounds like he's singing from the heart, and it's my favorite song he's done solo. If those are his lyrics, good job Brian. If they're not, well...someone know's Brian well.

Sorry to quote my own post, but I meant Brian's VOCALS were bad at that time.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2008, 04:39:43 PM »

The big problem with The Paley sessions was the write-up they got from Dom Priore in Kingsley which promised something only slightly less than Pet Sounds II. On the whole they were good, but not that good. If I may appropriate Jasper's list, here's my view of them:

Keepers:
Getting In Over My Head
You're Still A Mystery
Soul Searchin'
It's Not Easy Being Me
Slightly American Music
My Mary Anne
This Could Be The Night
This Song Wants To Sleep With You Tonight

borderline;
Desert Drive
What Rock'n'Roll Can Do
God Did It
Some Sweet Day
I'm Broke
Must Be A Miracle
Elbow '63
Goin' Home
Frankie Avalon

Clunkers;
Dancing The Night Away
Proud Mary
Market Place
Chain Reaction of Love

You don't like "Chain Reaction"?! That's one of my favorites.

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2008, 08:14:35 PM »

Just a few comments...

"Gettin' In Over My Head" -- good tune. Released version is too long, though.

"Soul Searchin'" -- I love the stroll rhythm, Carl's vocal delivery, but NOT the E Street Band style production that was released.

"You're Still A Mystery" -- a great, mature production that shows how awesome the Beach Boys could have sounded had they let Brian do his thing.

"Saturday Morning In The City" -- extremely dippy; belongs with some of the worst songs from The Beach Boys Love You (an album that I love, btw). This song deserves to be shot with an uzi.

"Elbow '63" -- sounds like a Nerf commercial I used to hear in the late '70s when I watched Saturday morning cartoons. I don't know whether that's a good thing or a bad thing, though.

"Frankie Avalon" -- I can take or leave.

"Desert Drive" -- only the sax riff is a "rip-off" of "Salt Lake City," but as I saw someone else point out years ago, the song is actually more of a rip-off of ELO's "Don't Bring Me Down." But a good tune. I much prefer the more gritty, up-tempo unreleased version than the slower version on GIOMH.

"It's Not Easy Being Me" -- yet another "sometimes it sucks to be me" song by Brian. This time it didn't work; "Midnight's Another Day," on the other hand...

"In My Moondreams" -- nice instrumental, but the only thing Brian contributed was the vocal backing.

"This Song Wants To Sleep With You Tonight" -- I used to love this song, but for personal reasons I can't listen to it any more. I'm not saying it's not great, but I just can't listen to it.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2008, 09:46:01 PM »

Sorry to quote my own post, but I meant Brian's VOCALS were bad at that time.
I can see why you'd think that, because I thought that for a while; but for some reason I'll take the unrestrained, high and whiny voice of the mid-1990s to his voice from 1997 up to 2008 (I'm putting that last bit because I think TLOS will have very good vocals)...

And by the way, to Mr. Doe, is that just your impression or do you really think they were all recorded in one day? (We know they were mostly all done in November 1995...)

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2008, 09:55:19 PM »

No, i don't really think they were all cut in one day.  Grin  Just sounds like that... I'm willing to bet they were all done in a very concentrated period, though.

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2008, 10:32:38 PM »

Yeah, I didn't think so...or and sorry...kinda dozed off during your post...was distracted trying to find that painting of "gullible" on the ceiling... Grin Cheesy

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2008, 10:40:04 PM »

No, i don't really think they were all cut in one day.  Grin  Just sounds like that... I'm willing to bet they were all done in a very concentrated period, though.

The vocals, sure. It sounds like the backing tracks were worked on a slightly more long-term basis. But that's just my ears talkin', and they've been wrong before.
Swamp Pirate
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2008, 08:55:58 AM »

Hindsight is always 20/20, but if you took the best of the Paley music...

Gettin' In Over My Head
It's Not Easy Being Me
This Song Wants to Sleep With You Tonight
Soul Searchin'
Desert Drive
My Mary Anne
Slightly American Music

...and combined it with the best of the Imagination material...

Your Imagination
She Says That She Needs Me
South American
Where Has Love Been
Cry
Lay Down Burden
Dream Angel

...the result would have been a pretty nice CD.

brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2008, 10:22:30 AM »

I'm a big fan of the Wilson/Paley sessions. I like that Brian's vocals sound different, but not forced or all polished up. Is this a set of sessions as pure as the Rick Rubin/Johnny Cash sessions? No. Is it as tight as the 1997 Dylan/Lanois album, "Time Out of Mind"? No. But it's a great album, on the level of some of Alex Chilton or Ray Davies's '90s and '00s solo albums, which is a total compliment.

Keepers:
Soul Searchin'
Gettin' in Over My Head
Marketplace
You're Still a Mystery
It's Not Easy Being Me
Slightly American Music
My Mary Anne
This Could Be the Night
In My Moondreams
This Song Wants to Sleep with You Tonight
Desert Drive
Proud Mary
Chain Reaction of Love
Some Sweet Day
I'm Broke

Take It or Leave It:
Must Be a Miracle
Elbow '63
Goin' Home
Frankie Avalon

Leave It:
Dancing the Night Away
What Rock'n'Roll Can Do
God Did It
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 10:24:09 AM by brianc » Logged
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2008, 12:02:28 PM »

It's worth noting that many of these recordings commonly circulating are at the wrong speed - they're too fast.  This might account for many people's reaction that Brian's voice sounds "different"
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2008, 04:43:21 PM »

It's worth noting that many of these recordings commonly circulating are at the wrong speed - they're too fast.  This might account for many people's reaction that Brian's voice sounds "different"

That would explain things.  Are just the vocals sped up or the entire track?  I should play with the speed in 'Peak Pro' and see if that improves things.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2008, 05:37:08 PM »

In my opinion the entire tracks are sped up.  I brought them into Goldwave and through trial and error slowed them down until they sounded correct to my ear in terms of pitch and tempo.

Here's an example, "Slightly American Music' as it appeared on Landylocked and a slowed down version.  My choice of speed was entirely subjective it just sounded "right" to my ears...

-------------------------------------------
EDIT: no downloads with illegal content (not even if modified) here please! Please check out the rules.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 11:34:59 AM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2008, 08:08:29 PM »

From what I heard, the speeded-up thing was actually kind of a bootleg trap -- apparently the recordings were given to a couple of folks (whose names we apparently have heard of!), with the "don't give this to ANYONE" warning...and so that way if they leaked out, they could be tracked to the leaker. I think one copy was intentionally sped up, while the other had a bit of additional hiss -- both intentional modifications but unknown to the recipients.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2008, 12:19:10 AM »

The thing that always amazed me is the original version of Soul Searchin'.  Those backing vocals starting at the second verse are terrific! Hearing that for the first time was a jaw dropping moment. It was like finding out that the beatles backing vocals on the alternate "Anthology" version of Strawberry Fields Forever had been edited out of the commercial release. When I heard the bootleg of it I was amazed.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2008, 07:38:02 AM »

I remember a time in the mid-90s when people idolized the Sweet Insanity sessions. It's true!

I have to whole-heartedly disagree with you -- this album was cool!!!  (Sure the rappin' on "smart girls" was over the top...but I think its nuts!!!!)   Kool-Aid Man

But  I love the Sweet Insanity stuff.  There's a life to it.  There's enthusiasm and pep and it actually sounds like he's having fun and inspired.  More so than on BW88BW88 might have been more stressful and "eventful" given it was his big "solo album" debut and all.  But with that behind him, he sounds relaxed and excited and inspired on Sweet Insanity.

His voice also sounds great, very uninhibited and natural.  Whoever rejected this is/was a mo'ron.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2008, 08:46:44 AM »

I remember a time in the mid-90s when people idolized the Sweet Insanity sessions. It's true!

I have to whole-heartedly disagree with you -- this album was cool!!!  (Sure the rappin' on "smart girls" was over the top...but I think its nuts!!!!)   Kool-Aid Man

But  I love the Sweet Insanity stuff.  There's a life to it.  There's enthusiasm and pep and it actually sounds like he's having fun and inspired.  More so than on BW88BW88 might have been more stressful and "eventful" given it was his big "solo album" debut and all.  But with that behind him, he sounds relaxed and excited and inspired on Sweet Insanity.

His voice also sounds great, very uninhibited and natural.  Whoever rejected this is/was a mo'ron.

There's a man at the door called Seymour Stein who would like a word with you...  Roll Eyes

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2008, 11:34:26 AM »

Cheesy Well...if Mr Stein is here to "sign me," he's too late.  I'm retired.  Or I burned all my master tapes.  I forget.

carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2008, 11:54:21 AM »

to these ears, the sessions are a curate's egg. Not only that they cover a lot of old ground and there's a bit too much rehashing of old sounds. but Market Place and Slightly American grate on my nerves in a way that very other Wilson songs do. Very rotten to these ears. I like Chain Reaction of Love - if it had made it onto any release then I can imagine it being picked up by Austin Powers or another 60s themed film. In fact, there's a classic 60s-in-the-90s album lurking here, I think everyone here agrees on that
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2008, 12:04:16 PM »

Well said, even if I disagree with your assessment of "Market Place." But each person hears things differently.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx