gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680794 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 06:29:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paley Sessions, your opinions...  (Read 26314 times)
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 01, 2008, 10:28:52 PM »

With Brian having just completed a collaboration with another younger talent (Scotty Bennett), I think it's time to look back at another of his collaborations, one his best since the early 70s IMHO, the Paley Sessions. I think I'm OK in saying a good majority of us have heard them, and that I love most of them and think they would've made a hell of an album with either BW solo or the BB, or both...anyway, I thought we could talk about some of the songs in particular that don't get a lot of discussion:

What are your opinions on the following?:
"Chain Reaction of Love"
"It's Not Easy Being Me"
"Slightly American Music"

these are three of my favorites, the first one a rollocking rock and roll tune that has lots of energy, the second a Pet Sounds-y ballad and the third a quirky kind of music travelouge that must feature a quote from almost every piece of music ever written! I know that Andy wrote the majority of the last one, but what a cool tune nonetheless! I realize that some may not like these as they are very unpolished and quirky, but what do you think?

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
MBE
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 10:54:30 PM »

Well some great stuff is there. Gettin In Over My Head in this rendition has Brian sounding closer to his pre 1975 voice then anything else I have heard him do the last three decades. Let's see
 are your opinions on the following?:
"Chain Reaction of Love" Nice pop song, a little quirky like you said but kind of catchy.
"It's Not Easy Being Me" An ok ballad. It seems like he was trying consiously to write a Pet Sounds style song. Nice production saves it for me.
"Slightly American Music" A fun one, very very Brian. This was a cool era wasn't it?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 11:06:15 PM »

Like most of Brian's unreleased stuff, its reputation can outweigh its actual quality. (I remember a time in the mid-90s when people idolized the Sweet Insanity sessions. It's true!)

Still, there are good dozen or so solid tunes in there, as well as some self-indulgent dross. "I'm Broke"? Please.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 01:34:31 AM »

Was the original version of "Desert Drive" part of the Paley sessions? I just listened to it the other day, and was amazed. If somebody listened to it and didn't know any better, they'd swear it was a vintage 1960's song.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
MBE
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 02:07:01 AM »

Yes it was.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 02:08:08 AM »

Yes it was.
Thanks!  Wink

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 02:10:17 AM »

I think that "Slightly American Music" just might be the oddest thing Brian has been involved in since Solar System.  It reminds me of the Battle Hymm(or however you spell it...)Of The Republic, in a weird way.  Grin
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 02:14:17 AM by Jay » Logged

MBE
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 03:18:41 AM »

Good call, it really does. It's so offbeat.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 05:00:06 AM »

I really like some of the Paley sessions but one song that I have never understood is Slightly American Music - I just can't stand the song. I really really dislike it. It's not as bad as say TM Song or Summer Of Love but it's just irritating. I have also never really liked Marketplace at all either. That one bugs me too. I have heard people say it's a lot like the Friends material and I love Friends but I totally dislike Marketplace. Anyway other than that there are a few good songs that I quite like. It's Not Easy Being Me is one. I just really like that song a lot for some reason. Must Be A Miracle ain't all that bad either and a few others like Soul Searchin', GIOMH and You're Still A Mystery are pretty good too and the other song you mention - Chain Reaction Of Love - is nice enough.

EDIT: Really sorry, no idea what I was thinking (I just got back from seeing my team win by one point in the final minute so I must've been not thinking clearly Wink) but I actually meant Saturday Morning In The City! Embarrassed Anyway I am not really a fan of Slightly American Music either.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 07:34:34 AM by mikeyj » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 06:34:20 AM »

Always thought Chain Reaction sounded kind of forced, like a stalled attempt at re-writing Good Vibrations.

While I'm Broke might not be among the greatest rock songs ever written, I'm a sucker for Brian doing that kind of singing. It sounds a lot like his lead vocals from Knebworth, very shouty. It's Not Easy Being Me is a huge favorite of mine. It might've been an attempt at recreating something similar to Pet Sounds, probably to songs like I Just Wasn't Made For These Times. For me, however, it works. While the lyrics might seem thoroughly depressed they still seem like something everybody could identify with from time to time.

I really wish the Paley sessions would've been released as an album, no matter if recorded with the Boys or without them. Either way, Proud Mary should've been the closing song.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 07:56:12 AM »

I love I'm Broke - because Brian is so totally committed to the vocal.  Love Chain Reaction, GIOMH, Still a Mystery, not a fan of Slightly American Music - isn't that one actually a Paley song?  Or is that wishful thinking on my part?
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 08:23:57 AM »

It really was a cool era. Although Brian's voice could get whiny and a bit too nasal during this period (doesn't that sound familiar  Grin), I still love it because it sounds real pure and not forced. On "Slightly American Music," it is a Paley song but I'm sure Brian added arrangements. Paley sings on a number of the songs, backups and some cameo leads, and has a beautiful voice, especially on his section of "Slightly American Music."

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 08:26:44 AM »

I love I'm Broke - because Brian is so totally committed to the vocal.

Well according to the Wilson Project book Brian seemed really into that song. Seemed to think that it had hit single written all over it... I do like it as well though
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 08:46:21 AM »

Did Brian write "I'm Broke" after he started dating Melinda? Wink
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2008, 09:50:29 AM »

I know Brian was into "I'm Broke." I know he loved it. (Incidentally, the tune dates to the Landy years. I don't think Gene cared for it very much.) I know he thought it was the cat's meow.

But I can't stand it. It is, for me, the worst of the worst. Stupid lyrics, repetitive music, flat arrangement. And Brian sounds like a drunken muppet.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 09:53:18 AM by claymcc » Logged
SG7
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2008, 11:21:21 AM »

"Chain Reaction of Love " is a freaking great song!! I wish they officially did a version of this. This would be a great song to do live especially the the whole "my baby's starting a chain" part.

"It's Not Easy Being Me" - I'm so-so on this. I am not too moved by the vocal but the instrumentation is pretty good.

"Slightly American Music" - CORNY. Nuff said.

I do like some of the Paley stuff. Yes some of it (or most of it, depends on who you talk to) is Paley, but I consider this like the last TRUE Brian album. Where he actually had imput. If I had to do a choice of 3 songs I liked from those sessions it would be:

1. Gettin' In Over My Head (the piano in the beginning is just cool and sets the mood. Like this better then the GIOMH version)

2. Desert Drive - OMG what a great song!! Yes it is a rip off of Salt Lake City but it just has this cool factor to it. I like the early version just instrumentation. It's a great song .

3. This Could Be The Night - Brian sounds totally into the song and whatever Paley did, it makes him really sound well. Plus it's a Phil Spector connection.

There is some ups and downs with the Paley stuff, but overall it is solid, it should have been the rock and roll album, and Brian's "management" was very stupid in dumping him to the curb (even though supposedly he was not keen on having the Wondermints in the band for some reason)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 11:22:40 AM by SurferGirl7 » Logged
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2008, 12:20:08 PM »

I like the song Frankie Avalon, but I assume that was more of a Paley cut. Has  a higher quality recording appeared of it yet?

Also like SOme Sweet Day. Marketplace is a masterpiece. Best thing they did. Can't believe that went unreleased. Of course, attempting to recapture the magic with a re-recording would be pointless. WE dont' need another GIOMH.

She's Still A Mystery HAS to get released. Final Beach Boys recording of any artistic worth.

I always like music better when Brian is very hands on. Some of his recent solos sound like the band does all the work for him. That's why the LOS demos will probably be a more special listening experience than the finished product.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2008, 12:40:20 PM »

My Paley sessions opinion is not as high as some people's, but I do like the stuff. I don't think it was particularly inspired or brilliant at all, but it does sound like music being made by people who enjoyed making music. That says a lot. Songs like Some Sweet Day, My Maryanne, I'm Broke and others hit the spot for me for that reason. They're just fun songs whose life hadn't been squeezed out. Various Paley co-writes that have come out since, to me, do sound like that, which is a shame.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2008, 01:52:25 PM »

"Chain Reaction of Love" (not so much a rewrite of "Good Vibrations" as "Hanky Panky"!) is great fun and one of my favorite unreleased Brian Wilson tracks. "It's Not Easy Being Me" is just okay (kinda reminds me of "When Girls Get Together"), but I would prefer a stronger lead and better lyrics...and speaking of better lyrics, what does the title and chorus of "Slightly American Music" even mean? It sounds like a bad translation of another language. I think people like the rawness of the Paley sessions which can be an attribute. But a lot of it sounds half-baked (no, not that way!); ideas that aren't really finished.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2008, 02:14:52 PM »

I haven't heard most of the Paley stuff.
Sure wish someone would tell me where I could...
Wilsonista
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2008, 02:18:51 PM »

I thought asking publicly was a no-no.....
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2008, 02:53:38 PM »

Like mostly everyone else, my opinion is divided, though for the most part I like it all a lot; Favourites of mine are;

This song wants to sleep with you tonight
Some Sweet day (brilliant!)
GIOMH (Brians best vocal of the last 30 years no question, don't want to go into the GIOMH LP version etc...)
Going Home (This is not the TLOS, but is similar, I prefer this one)
It's not easy being me
Chain Reaction of love
You're still a mystery
Soul Searchin
My Maryanne (great song)

Unfortuneatley, sound quality ranges from good to diabolical. They could easily go in and remix these, in nice pristine stereo. It would make a solid album IMO, there's so much going on in the productions and at the same time they're very minimal sounding.
These are also the closest Brian ever got to recreating his own 'sixties' sound whilst at the same not sounding particularly retro but just kind of weird.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2008, 11:15:59 PM »

Problem I have with these sessions is that, with very few exceptions, they all sound like they were recorded on the same day, with the same instruments and the same board settings (excluding the Was fly-ins, of course). Some great stuff, but also some clunkers.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
XY
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2008, 12:36:22 AM »

Paley Sessions for me are mostly great arranged & recorded backing tracks with poor lead vocals. Remix the tracks, add new vocals by Brian and voilą, a good solo album - not Pet Sounds - but certainly interesting.
Here's another fan of "I'm Broke", sometimes I'm in the mood for this kind of punky outbreak, "Rolling Up To Heaven" for example also fulfills that need. It's that "Ding Dang" feeling.

Desert Drive ***** (released, but release it again with Paley track!)
What Rock'n'Roll Can Do ****
Chain Reaction of Love ****
In My Moondreams **** (released)
It's Not Easy Being Me ****
Getting In Over My Head **** (released, briawpt!)
You're Still A Mystery ****
Soul Searchin' *** (released)
God Did It ****
Some Sweet Day ****
I'm Broke ****
Must Be A Miracle ****
Elbow '63 ***
Goin' Home *** (no, not on TLOS)
Proud Mary *****
Slightly American Music *** (surprised so many fans don't like that one)
Dancing The Night Away **** (hello Carl)
This Song Wants To Sleep With You Tonight *** (released)
Market Place **
My Mary Anne ***
This Could Be The Night *** (nice cover, released, also performed live during 1st solo tour)
Boogie's Back in Town *** (Ok, not Paley, performed live in '83, but fits in here)
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2008, 01:08:41 AM »

5 stars for Prod Mary - I'm most definitely with you on that one, Jasper.

I wish Desert Drive (in this early incarnation) had a Mike Love lead vocal. Just imagine this being the last Beach Boys single...
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx