gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680780 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 07:19:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Drum machines...  (Read 3148 times)
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2008, 03:55:18 PM »

Just listening to the original Big Sur (in 6/4) on my bike ride home and realised it had a drum machine on it, much like Til I Die and Lady. My first thought was it must have been recorded after Denny hurt his hand but before Ricky enters the picture.  Scratch that idea, since the latter two those songs were recorded Before the injury. Anyhow, just wondering if there has ever been much discussion on the beach boys and rhythm machines. Was it used because it was easier than getting a solid beat out of Dennis or Brian, or did they just like the sound? Also, what songs besides the above do they use it on? Thanks in advance!

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 04:28:33 PM »

The machine in question is a Maestro Rhythm King.

I would assume they just like the sound as an alternative to an acoustic drum set.  It's not like they didn't have access to the top drummers in the United States on speed dial if they wanted them.  In addition to the songs you mention, they used the Rhythm King for H.E.L.P, but it wasn't used in the final mix.  Don't know if it was ever intended to be anything more than a rhythm track or what.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 06:45:57 PM »

They had speed dial in 1970?
 Grin
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 08:36:41 AM »

Well...they had to dial less numbers!  So it would be speedier?
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 12:42:28 PM »

Seems like they started with the drum machine for a click track, overdubbed everything else, and then, depending on the song, either mixed it out or left it in. I do the same thing at home. I love the BB DIY ethic! They were doing the home recording way before everyone else.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 01:03:28 PM »

Well...they had to dial less numbers!  So it would be speedier?
I think 7 digits with a rotary phone is still longer than 10 on a keypad.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 09:43:55 AM »

Just listening to the original Big Sur (in 6/4) on my bike ride home and realised it had a drum machine on it, much like Til I Die and Lady. My first thought was it must have been recorded after Denny hurt his hand but before Ricky enters the picture.  Scratch that idea, since the latter two those songs were recorded Before the injury. Anyhow, just wondering if there has ever been much discussion on the beach boys and rhythm machines. Was it used because it was easier than getting a solid beat out of Dennis or Brian, or did they just like the sound? Also, what songs besides the above do they use it on? Thanks in advance!

I should think all of The Beach Boys '85 album; it was all synths and drum machines. But that was all done by the producer, I think. There are some great songs on there, if you can get past the production. I wonder if there are other 'demo' versions of these tunes with different instrumentation? I love "Male Ego" especially.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 01:09:05 PM »

I should think all of The Beach Boys '85 album; it was all synths and drum machines. But that was all done by the producer, I think. There are some great songs on there, if you can get past the production. I wonder if there are other 'demo' versions of these tunes with different instrumentation? I love "Male Ego" especially.

Think you'll find the names of the drum machine on "California Calling" and "I Do Love You" are, respectively, Richard Starkey and Steveland Judkins.  Grin
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 01:10:47 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 11:34:44 AM »

Point taken, although I'm pretty sure Stevie's drum part on "I Do Love You" is programmed onto a synclavier and not played by Stevie (a pity, since he's such a great drummer, or at least was).
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 11:57:02 AM »

Point taken, although I'm pretty sure Stevie's drum part on "I Do Love You" is programmed onto a synclavier and not played by Stevie (a pity, since he's such a great drummer, or at least was).

The credit says "drums", fwiw.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 01:56:28 PM »

He plays drums? I never knew that. That's pretty cool.

But yeah, I Do Love You sounds very inorganic to me, too.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 04:04:45 AM »

Superstition being a prime example!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 11:21:40 AM »

I love the BB DIY ethic! They were doing the home recording way before everyone else.

Me too!  It was Smiley Smile's home grown sound that made apparent to me that, hey...maybe I should do this too!  So I have them to thank for all the cash I've wasted!

alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 01:40:27 PM »

But yeah, I Do Love You sounds very inorganic to me, too.

Yeah, he played drums on his albums in 70's! He played drums on every track, or almost. Superstition, Golden Lady, For Once In My Life, etc...
There's a video on Youtube...Stevie plays a superb-crazy drum solo.
Search: Steve Wonder drum solo or something like this.
alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 01:43:24 PM »

He jammed playing drums with Jimi Hendrix on a BBC session (Jimi).
The two jams was released on Jimi Hendrix Experience - BBC Sessions (1998-9). One of two songs was a cover of I Was Made To Love Her.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx