gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:10:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's Wild Solo-Artist Ride  (Read 26634 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: August 07, 2008, 12:08:20 PM »

I'm sorry, but I'm missing the point/objections to the power drill. On the original "Workshop", there were various tools used, including hammers, saws, and power drills. Right? Am I hearing that right? So, what's wrong with bringing a power drill out in the live performance? It was trying to duplicate the recording, it was fun, it gave Brian something to "play". What am I missing here?

Excellent question.  Yes, you heard right!  Here's the problem...Have you ever thrown a party, and it was awesome and you think "man, I gots to do this again!"  So the next day or weekend you try to throw the same party.  But something's not right.

Maybe it was a recipe, or even a "romantic setting" that worked one time...but as you tried to recreate the scene, it seemed awkward -- lacking -- off.

It's a very real phenomenon, no doubt.  It's the realization that you're not being spontaneous and that you're aware of what you're doing.

So, with something like the power drills, crunching of the veges or boys making sheep noises, aside from being kitsch...they're comedic.  And no joke is funny back-to-back, twice in a row.  They worked on the original 1966 recordings, yes.  I'm pleased to find out that Brian, knows comedy and knows the purpose of those parts, that he didn't want to keep those in the new recordings. 

...but alas, his "associates" ...well, we all know better, right? 

Using that logic, BWPS is bad, and the remakes of Surfin' and Forever on Summer in Paradise are good.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
MBE
« Reply #126 on: August 07, 2008, 12:47:51 PM »

Smile is Americana in general. I don't think the songs all took place in another era, thus the tennis shoes, power drill, etc.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 07, 2008, 01:17:12 PM »

As well as the "Truck drivin' man / Do what you can" section.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 07, 2008, 01:23:25 PM »

As well as the "Truck drivin' man / Do what you can" section.

Right in the middle of "Cabinessence", which would be set in or around....?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 07, 2008, 01:24:04 PM »

The point is era, not geography.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 07, 2008, 01:30:53 PM »

The point is era, not geography.

I know, that's what I was asking, the era. "Cabinessence" has iron horses, coolies, and homes on the range. Did they have truck drivers back then? Like MBE said, which I understand, it all falls under Americana - I guess. Just found it odd that a truck driver would be referrenced in "Cabinessence". And tennis shoes in SMiLE...
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: August 07, 2008, 01:46:46 PM »

Who ran the iron horse? The iron horse is a train. Trains in those days did the same thing trucks do now - transport cargo across the country. The truck is the iron horse of the 20th century. So who ran the iron horse in 1967? A truck drivin' man.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 07, 2008, 06:11:31 PM »

By my logic Aegir, BWPS is....Brian Wilson presenting us with Smile.

The drills are too.  But,.................................if he wanted it to be more.  He could have left the drills off.

If the sheep had been left off, you'd be wondering where the sheep went.  They'd be telling you:  the sheep belonged in the heat of 1966.

I like the sheep in 1966.

I don't mind them in 2004.  They remind me of 1966.

Summer in Paradise reminds me of what Summer in Paradise would have sounding like without sheep.

Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 07, 2008, 08:56:27 PM »

It's interesting to note that Brian himself was suspect of keeping it in for Smile's completion--perhaps wary that it would come off like a reenactment

Sounds to me like you're just inventing this motive.  I don't think Brian has anywhere near the preoccupation with "authenticity" which his fans do.

It's far more likely that, at that particular moment, he just didn't like the way the drill looked or sounded.  All part of him being a changeable creature -- just like changing his mind back the other way is as well.

And if someone told him "nah, it's nice the way it was"?  That's a good thing.   Arguably it was the start of his self-doubt and second-guessing, his unsureness in what he'd created, which killed Smile in the first place.  He took out the power drills, he took out the Van Dyke, next thing you know he's decided he'd rather do "Wonderful" as a stoned giggle-fest with an organ rather than a beautiful harpsichord music-box full of harmonies.  That may have been authentically what Brian felt like doing at that moment, but that doesn't make it the best he was capable of.

I'm glad he's willing to be reassured by the people he works with.

Cheers,
Jon Blum
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 08, 2008, 02:07:09 AM »

It's interesting to note that Brian himself was suspect of keeping it in for Smile's completion--perhaps wary that it would come off like a reenactment

Sounds to me like you're just inventing this motive.  I don't think Brian has anywhere near the preoccupation with "authenticity" which his fans do.

It's far more likely that, at that particular moment, he just didn't like the way the drill looked or sounded.  All part of him being a changeable creature -- just like changing his mind back the other way is as well.

And if someone told him "nah, it's nice the way it was"?  That's a good thing.   Arguably it was the start of his self-doubt and second-guessing, his unsureness in what he'd created, which killed Smile in the first place.  He took out the power drills, he took out the Van Dyke, next thing you know he's decided he'd rather do "Wonderful" as a stoned giggle-fest with an organ rather than a beautiful harpsichord music-box full of harmonies.  That may have been authentically what Brian felt like doing at that moment, but that doesn't make it the best he was capable of.

I'm glad he's willing to be reassured by the people he works with.

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Pretty good call, Jon. At a fatal point during the construction of SMiLE, Brian lost his self-confidence. I always thought that the intake of psychoactive drugs, combined with the horrifying abuse that he underwent in his childhood, caused this loss. Drugs are bad as they are already, but they can bring flashbacks to people with a history of traumatic life events. In other words: LSD potentially can make you 4 years of age again, with all the trouble that can come with that.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 08, 2008, 04:27:25 AM »

Sounds to me like you're just inventing this motive....

Oh, absolutely....

...It's far more likely that, at that particular moment, he just didn't like the way the drill looked or sounded....

Smokin

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx